Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Dead Battery !

I just went to use my boat last week, and found I had a dead battery !
I put battery on charger overnight, but made no difference, only have about 9v, nothing more. DOA !

I purchased this battery exactly 2 yrs ago at Wal-Mart, it is an EverStart
Marine & RV Deep Cycle battery, and I paid around $80.

I would think one should expect more than 2 yrs from a battery ?
Car batteries last about 4-6 yrs, what gives ?

Any suggestions on a replacement ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
SAB1

Could have been a bad battery. Personally though Walmart isn’t where I’d buy one. I myself have had very good luck with NAPA marine batteries.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
bigdog (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
Tank151

Most auto/motorcycle/marine batteries do not last like they used to. Lithium batteries are more reliable, but very expensive.

You also might want to install a second battery with a battery switch.

Safe boating!
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Could have been a bad battery. Personally though Walmart isn’t where I’d buy one. I myself have had very good luck with NAPA marine batteries.
We had bad luck with Walmart batteries for one of our vehicles and had two back to back that didn't last a year. I think the last time it happened we got an Interstate from the shop we use. I use Interstate in my boat and have never had a problem. And there's an Interstate store in my town so I just ran over to get a new one last year.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
XCR-700

Never gotten less than 4 years out of a battery even if I abused it. So 2 years sounds like a problem, and you should not settle for that kind of service.

At 2 years old, there should still be a warranty. Try to bring it back.

It was my understanding that there are like only 4 major battery manufacturers, so the branding should not matter if that is correct.

That said, in the last 20 years or so, I have only bought my batteries at BJ's Wholesale. Good brand, good price, always have fresh stock, NEVER had a problem. Before that, I always bought mine at Sears or NAPA, always had good service from them back then.

Good luck.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Another lesson learned, don't buy stuff at Walmart - it is all over priced junk.

Interstate makes great batteries but they are a little expensive. Advanced Auto Parts carries Interstate, if they don't have one there in stock they can get one next day sometimes same day. Most marina's also use them. Some locations do stock one or two marine batteries.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I would expect some sort of pro-rata reduction in cost of a Walmart replacement battery. Having said that, I'd forego the price adjustment and buy a replacement from Interstate. I also have a super duty jump box I got from Interstate. In addition to jumping, air compressor, etc it has two AC outlets so I can run power tools, radio, battery chargers for tools, etc.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
Cal Coon

It is easy enough to put a load tester on it to make sure that it is good or bad. You can buy a hand held load tester for under 100, and they are handy to have around. If a load tester verifies that it is junk, it will be easier to justify getting it replaced for free, or getting a refund if it's not under warranty, or just out of warranty.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
8gv

I use Walmart batteries in all my boats.

They are cheap but they will fail at the moment their projected life cycle has ended.

Unless...

you keep a solar charger on the battery and/or...

have a battery switch that shuts off all battery drain when the boat is not in use.

Some situations do not allow for this.

They last at least twice as long with this care.

In that case, I might try a more expensive and hopefully better brand.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #10
XCR-700

Default Battery Maintenance at Valet/Rack Stored Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I use Walmart batteries in all my boats.

They are cheap but they will fail at the moment their projected life cycle has ended.

Unless...

you keep a solar charger on the battery and/or...

have a battery switch that shuts off all battery drain when the boat is not in use.

Some situations do not allow for this.

They last at least twice as long with this care.

In that case, I might try a more expensive and hopefully better brand.
Never thought to ask at the marina about getting power to the boat when in storage. It has a built-in battery charger and we often go 1 - 2 weeks without using the boat. Somehow I'm guessing thats not something they are doing,,,

In the last 20 years I have only kept my boats on trailers at home and plug them into a top quality battery maintainer/charger and I gave gotten really outstanding service out of my batteries.

Makes me wonder if I should be expecting shorter battery life using a rack storage/valet marina???
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #11
8gv

My marina declared my battery DEAD this spring.

The charged it overnight with no luck.

I dropped a spare battery in and off I went.

That night I charged the “DEAD” one.

It is now in the boat working fine!

I suppose that new 12V jump pack I have stowed onboard is just insurance.

This fall I will take my battery home and give it the off season care it needs.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #12
Woody38

Had a battery in the car die in the gararge, so I called the dealer and they came, checked the battery and installed the new battery. I was surprised that there was no charge for coming out. Cost of the new battery, auto brand, was no more than any other. In a few days I recieved a call from the service advisor asking me how since this was the original battery, do I get 17 years on a battery. Incidentally I have a 2009 car with the original battery which is put on a battery minder in th winter when we are away. this car has a second battery n the trunk which is run down when we retur and then driving the car for an hour or two has it completely charged. I have had problems with Interstate. In the past used Sears Diehard which were hard to kill. Soon I think I will need a new battery for the boat so decision making time will come.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
Mink Islander

Default Deep cycle battery?

I didn’t think you were supposed to use a deep cycle battery as your starter battery. Just for the “house” battery on boats with a separate battery to power accessories when the engine is off. I thought I read that deep cycle batteries will have a shorter life when used that way (cranking). I’m NOT an expert so my advise is worth what you paid for it...

http://www.crownbattery.com/news/cra...marine-battery
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #14
SAB1

The NAPA marine i have used has always been my crank battery. It also runs my downriggers and sonar. Got 13 years out of the last one.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #15
swimfan

Did you check the cells to ensure there was sufficient water before charging? That’s something that should be checked regularly. I prefer using an AGM battery which is maintenance free. Sams club sells a Duracell AGM marine battery that is very good.
swimfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #16
chasedawg

Default bad batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I just went to use my boat last week, and found I had a dead battery !
I put battery on charger overnight, but made no difference, only have about 9v, nothing more. DOA !

I purchased this battery exactly 2 yrs ago at Wal-Mart, it is an EverStart
Marine & RV Deep Cycle battery, and I paid around $80.

I would think one should expect more than 2 yrs from a battery ?
Car batteries last about 4-6 yrs, what gives ?

Any suggestions on a replacement ?
My suggestion would be to buy the right battery and take care of it. And not from Walmart and any other cheap batteries. Since 2013 I have maintained the same 15 batteries and they all are in great shape and keep going after seven years later. I have 10 in our Motor home and another 5 in assortment of boats.

I buy the best...and not the most popular like Interstate. The batteries I have bought are a bit more costly than the average. I buy AMG Lifeline. I buy on line. I get them in 5 days or less. I do have some on trickle charge when not used. One battery on my sailboat is on a mooring. It has not been charged since May when I put the Cape Dory in. Sure it doesn't draw much current but it works when I need to start the engine and sail at night.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Agm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfan View Post
I prefer using an AGM battery which is maintenance free. Sams club sells a Duracell AGM marine battery that is very good.
The rate of discharge on an AGM is less than 2% per month. If you charge it before storing it will still be well charged come spring for startup. Those Sam’s Duracell’s are great also!

Dan
Old 08-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Interstate Dual Purpose Batteries

Been using them for decades without a problem. A battery last on average about 7 years give or take a year.

I have a dual battery setup. Turn off batteries after each use. In the winter they are removed from the boat and stored indoors. I trickle charge during the winter with a 'smart' charger.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #19
Patofnaud

Make sure the battery is actually dead, or just too low for your charger to bring it back.

Most cheap chargers can't bring a 'dead' battery to life. Make sure you have a decent one with some kick to it.

I used a Wally-world battery in my last boat for 4 years before I traded it in with 0 issues. I did have a small solar panel keep it trickled when in the boat and I did take it out every winter and keep in at home on a computerized trickle charger when not in use.

Make sure to use a deep cycle or AGM battery and not use a 'maintenence free' battery. Maintence free batteries hate being deep cycled and will die if run down a couple times.

I'd load change it up (if possible) with a good charger and see if it holds. If not, then either trade it in and take advantabge of the warrenty or buy a decent AGM from SAM's club or other place. Stay away from the expensive AGM's like Odessy as their quaily has dropped in recent years.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
Make sure the battery is actually dead, or just too low for your charger to bring it back.

Most cheap chargers can't bring a 'dead' battery to life. Make sure you have a decent one with some kick to it.

I used a Wally-world battery in my last boat for 4 years before I traded it in with 0 issues. I did have a small solar panel keep it trickled when in the boat and I did take it out every winter and keep in at home on a computerized trickle charger when not in use.

Make sure to use a deep cycle or AGM battery and not use a 'maintenence free' battery. Maintence free batteries hate being deep cycled and will die if run down a couple times.

I'd load change it up (if possible) with a good charger and see if it holds. If not, then either trade it in and take advantabge of the warrenty or buy a decent AGM from SAM's club or other place. Stay away from the expensive AGM's like Odessy as their quaily has dropped in recent years.
this is a good tip. you can sometimes bring a battery back by hooking up the charger in parallel with another good bettery.

batteries hate to sit unused too. After a while they just give up and won't hold a charge without using a tender in the off season. I have a mini solar panel keeping my RV batteries topped up still on the same ones after 8 years and the thing sits for months at a time
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-03-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #21
bigdog

Default Lazarus Battery !

I saw the post from 8gy....
"The charged it overnight with no luck"

I did the same for 2 nights w/o luck, just seemed totally DEAD ! Only 8v.
Last night just for chuckles, I threw the battery on the charger.

This morning I checked the voltage and now have a strong 13v
Going to check the voltage in the morning to see if it is holding.

No idea what was going on with my first charging attempts, could be the charger itself, but now seems like the battery is back from the dead !

FYI the battery is a 'sealed' battery and never requires water.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #22
JADAQ

I’m on year 5 with my boat battery.

The key to battery life is take the extra 3.5 minutes and take the battery out and keep it warm for the winter.

I guarantee there is not one marina in this state that takes batteries out of the boats for the winter anymore.

Also, if you do choose to take out your battery and give it the love you should don’t store it on a cement floor! It will drain your battery over time.

And trickle charge that thing over the cold months!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #23
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post

The key to battery life is take the extra 3.5 minutes and take the battery out and keep it warm for the winter.

I guarantee there is not one marina in this state that takes batteries out of the boats for the winter anymore.

Also, if you do choose to take out your battery and give it the love you should don’t store it on a cement floor! It will drain your battery over time.

Some batteries have better access than other's... Mine are both in a huge pain in the a** location in the bilge to get at that I don't bother taking them out. Way too much work!! I do put a battery tender on them throughout the winter and I am on the 5th or 6th year on the same batteries that came with the boat that I bought used with the current batteries in it, so I really have no idea how long they have been in it. I also carry one of those little jump packs with me at all times just in case they decide to go without warning...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #24
bigdog

Default Battery out of boat for winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post

Interesting you should mention 'Battery out of boat for winter', this is what I ALWAYS did, however, when I had boat winterized and shrink-wrapped lat Oct, the boat dealer DID NOT remove the battery as I asked. They did disconnect the battery leads (BIG DEAL) !

I've AWAYS removed my battery for the winter, and stored in a dry warm place in my basement OFF CONCRETE, and NEVER had an issue with my battery before.

I guess this Fall I will have to inspect and insure the mechanic removes the battery, before I hand over my check !

Last edited by bigdog; 08-06-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #25
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I have always disconnected and left batteries in the boats for the winter. I usually get about 7 years out of a pair of batteries. I think the important thing is to buy good batteries.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #26
ApS

Smile "Threw" a Figure of Speech...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I saw the post from 8gy....
"The charged it overnight with no luck" I did the same for 2 nights w/o luck, just seemed totally DEAD ! Only 8v.
Last night just for chuckles, I threw the battery on the charger.
This morning I checked the voltage and now have a strong 13v
Going to check the voltage in the morning to see if it is holding.
No idea what was going on with my first charging attempts, could be the charger itself, but now seems like the battery is back from the dead !
FYI the battery is a 'sealed' battery and never requires water.
A few pointers with batteries:

1) When carried, avoid having a lead-acid (standard auto battery) contact your good clothing.

2) Don't allow metal jewelry to touch the battery as it's being carried.

3) Battery-carriers which clamp on the terminals "carry" a risk to the battery, as the terminals can become separated (internally) from the plates.
(A "good" charge may be measured, but a significant draw will fail).

Question for small electric trollers:

What 12V battery is best for extended deep discharge use?
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #27
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
A few pointers with batteries:

1) When carried, avoid having a lead-acid (standard auto battery) contact your good clothing.

2) Don't allow metal jewelry to touch the battery as it's being carried.

3) Battery-carriers which clamp on the terminals "carry" a risk to the battery, as the terminals can become separated (internally) from the plates.
(A "good" charge may be measured, but a significant draw will fail).

Question for small electric trollers:

What 12V battery is best for extended deep discharge use?
A DEEPcycle battery of course!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #28
persistence

Default Dead Battery !

I’ve always stored them inside for winter too. My 31’ however had 7 batteries (3 for inverter) and not in friendly to reach places. I just checked the water a few times a year, that alone was a feat of contortions. and plugged the boat in a few times over the winter. A few hours at a time if I could.

I replaced them the 1st or 2nd year i bought the boat. But Never had a problem during my 7 years of owning it. I think if you get 4-5 years out of a battery you’re doing good. Mainly because the different usage than a car battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #29
Blue Thunder

There are only 3 or 4 major battery manufacturers. Exide is one of the major players. They manufacture batteries for NAPA, Walmart, AC Delco, Autolite, and Interstate. As long as you compare apples to apples such as cold cranking amps (CCA) etc, there is no need to spend big bucks. I’ve used the Walmart brand batteries for years. I’ve got 7 years on my current Maxx Start marine battery. Proper maintenance in the off season is the key.

BT
Top-Water (08-09-2020)