Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #101
MaidenCove07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Come on. It is not unreasonable to have expectations of quality and quantity based upon price. I don't think that the review was unreasonable.
Jetskier

I whole heartedly agree Jetskier. I'd have been offended to pay $20 for 4 scallops, potato and salad. In fact, I'd have sent the plate back and left had the server come back to me and said 4 is all I get.
For that price, I would expect no less than a full pound of scallops!!!! I get more than that at Boston Seafood for $16.

I got an LP menu and was stunned at the prices, but assumed that the portions and/or quality and freshness of the food would make up for it, but that appears not to be so.
Sorry to the Ray family, but it still looks like there's lots to fix before the locals make the LP a regular stop.

As for the Sandy Point fans - I agree 100% - can't beat a King Stuffed for $42.95 that includes a 2 pounder PLUS another pound of lobster meat in the stuffing. OMG - I gotta get one this weekend!!!
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #102
dpg

Just more funning at how the comment read. My wife would tell me: oh quit complaining!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #103
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Think you're mistaken,MC......a full pound of lobster meat stuffed into a 2lb lobster would be cost prohibitive..........probably the MEAT from a 1lb lobster.
Sounds yummy,though.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #104
RamJet

Default Dinner at the Sandy Point

I asked about the king stuffed lobster at Sandy Point. A 1 lb lobster is stuffed with about 1/4 lb of lobster meat along with other seafood and ritz crackers. Today's price is $27. Other lobster sizes go up to 2 lbs for $45.

There is no water view dining area.

Last edited by RamJet; 08-19-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: misspeeling
RamJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #105
VtSteve

Default Let's face it

It's tough for anyone "new" to make a go of it with real estate and equipment prices so high now. Imagine the flexibility of someone that owned the LP for thirty years. Probably no mortgage payment, most things paid off. Now, compare his pricing power to someone that just bought seriously expensive property there, new construction, new equipment.

Some things that we've taken for granted all these years we just can't anymore. Some folks have to adjust, and go back to the old days when eating out was more a luxury than a habit. Obviously, the business owners will have to adjust to that reality as well.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #106
Webbsatwinni

I know this is a Lobster pound thread, but with the discussion of Sandy point, I would ask this here. We were wondering if SP had docking or can you only get there by car?

The stuffed Lobster sounds great and we need to try one.

Last edited by Webbsatwinni; 08-19-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: (SP*)
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #107
VtSteve

Default Since the owner chimed in....

What can you offer a fun loving couple for a September weekend? Is it still jumping at the LP after Labor Day? Love to find a place nearby to have a few drinks, dancing, good time.

Plus, I did promise a review
Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #108
mike ray

Default of course it's still jumping! and the scallops?

we are doing a 3 day concert event at the lobster pound, labor day weekend! the rock lobster music festival, check out wb-lp.com for all the details. we will also have entertainment wed.(karaoke)-sun untill nov.1 when we will close untill may 1. since i am here, i will comment on the rediculous scallop post above. the gentleman ordered our ginger scallop appetizer. the app is 4-6 ounces of scallops in our homemade sesame ginger sauce, and a healthy size scoop of our white sticky rice. they are the exact same scallops we serverd at the taste of the lakes, that people raved about, and it has become one of our most popular apps. we explained to the gentleman that he ordered an app., and even showed him it on the menu, and he was fine with it. he said he must have made a mistake when he read the menu. we asked him if he wanted anything else and he said no, that he was fine. 70 dollar tab? i dont think so. not unless the nice gentleman left a 30 dollar tip, i know our service is spectacular, but even thats a bit much. were there any drinks involed? our prices are absolutely dead on. i have stated that we buy the top quality seafood we can get from ipswich shellfish, and we price our food appropriately based on what we pay for it.
accuracy people. some accuracy in these posts would be nice. how can this website be taken seriously when people constantly ommit things, and dare i say, flat out lie? i think freedom of speech is what makes our country the best country on earth, but try to get your facts straight. mike

Last edited by mike ray; 08-20-2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: made a mistake
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #109
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Websat. Sandy Point does have dock space. They like you to call ahead. We went there Monday night.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #110
Webbsatwinni

Thanks TIS for the information!
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #111
sa meredith

Default Journalism 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike ray View Post
accuracy people. some accuracy in these posts would be nice. how can this website be taken seriously when people constantly ommit things, and dare i say, flat out lie? i think freedom of speech is what makes our country the best country on earth, but try to get your facts straight. mike
Mike, Mike , Mike...
Journalism 101...North Adams State College...Fall semester 1986...
That's were I learned it: "Never let the facts get in the way of a great story."
Get with it...
Let's see now, what else happened Fall of '86....Something to do with a "dollar", no wait, a "doe", no that wasn't it..a "buck".."buckner".....now I know, Bill Buckn...oh yeah, never mind!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #112
kjbathe

Default Facts?

I think Mike and SA have hit the nail on the head along with Don's posting in another thread -- I can't read this forum anymore without questioning if we're getting good and factual information from conscientious posters, or if we're only hearing from the one or two vocal parties with an axe to grind while the 100 or 200 folks that had a good experience simply don't post a review. The conspicuous absence of Nauset makes me think Mike & Co. are probably doing a nice job.

It's disappointing that good experiences warrant little to no comment on this forum, while other failings, no matter how slight, garner a breadth and depth of discussion that leads readers to think the establishment in question should have been closed yesterday, or simply never opened at all. Let's all try for a little balance in reporting and reviews to make this forum more useful for everyone.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #113
Rose

Default Skepticism 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Mike, Mike , Mike...
Journalism 101...North Adams State College...Fall semester 1986...
That's were I learned it: "Never let the facts get in the way of a great story."
Get with it...
Let's see now, what else happened Fall of '86....Something to do with a "dollar", no wait, a "doe", no that wasn't it..a "buck".."buckner".....now I know, Bill Buckn...oh yeah, never mind!
You'll notice Skepticism is a graduate level course...you need all that undergrad experience with professors who say things like "well, if I said it, I didn't mean it" before you can take this course. I think the truth lies somewhere between the two, but each believes their version of the story to be the truth.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #114
VtSteve

Default Agreed

Balance and fairness are always welcome. I think Mike's been a brave, standup guy in his replies. He deserves good, honest feedback, not drive byes. Every business has their issues, especially new ones. The better feedback they're given, the better it turns out for everyone.

The fact that the LP's response was what it was, I say gives them a few points extra right off the bat.

I'm going to make the LP a must visit on my trip over. I'll give you some good feedback Mike, hope to meet you there.

Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #115
gtagrip

Default Response

I'd like to hear a response from fishdc to Mike's reply of the "Scallop" post. I bet we don't get one.

Mike, the next time I am up in the Weir's area, I plan dining at your establishment.

Thanks,
Mike
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #116
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
You'll notice Skepticism is a graduate level course...you need all that undergrad experience with professors who say things like "well, if I said it, I didn't mean it" before you can take this course. I think the truth lies somewhere between the two, but each believes their version of the story to be the truth.
Read fisfdc's post, again, and had to ask myself when was the last time I received a baked potato with my appetizer and is 4-6 ounces the same as 8 ounces?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #117
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
we are doing a 3 day concert event at the lobster pound, labor day weekend! the rock lobster music festival, check out wb-lp.com for all the details. we will also have entertainment wed.(karaoke)-sun untill nov.1 when we will close untill may 1. since i am here, i will comment on the rediculous scallop post above. the gentleman ordered our ginger scallop appetizer. the app is 4-6 ounces of scallops in our homemade sesame ginger sauce, and a healthy size scoop of our white sticky rice. they are the exact same scallops we serverd at the taste of the lakes, that people raved about, and it has become one of our most popular apps. we explained to the gentleman that he ordered an app., and even showed him it on the menu, and he was fine with it. he said he must have made a mistake when he read the menu. we asked him if he wanted anything else and he said no, that he was fine. 70 dollar tab? i dont think so. not unless the nice gentleman left a 30 dollar tip, i know our service is spectacular, but even thats a bit much. were there any drinks involed? our prices are absolutely dead on. i have stated that we buy the top quality seafood we can get from ipswich shellfish, and we price our food appropriately based on what we pay for it.
Mike,

You seem to get an unfair # of posts that do not have all of the facts straight- that is too bad. I guess that some posters do not realize the implications of their negative posts when it comes to restaurants. If the negativity is deserved, so be it- if not, that is a shame.

It appears from most accounts on the forum that you have squared away most of your opening issues. I hope you have had a successful summer!

I may check your place out this weekend.

John
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #118
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I'm with you Gtagrip....I'm so glad to see an owner sticking up for himself against these whinning liars,who probably had a cocktail or two before they arrived..Mike has a clear record of the guestcheck,food ordered,etc and probably,even a video of the customer who complained.
Some people live their lives in a constant case of negativity.....they complain about everything.You can't please them because nothing makes them happy.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #119
bobio

I have been there every weekend since the place opened. The place is very inviting and the staff has been very friendly. The upstairs outside bar is a great place to watch the fireworks, meet friends and have a drink. Yes they have had some issues, but I feel that they have made every effort to correct them. I am sure the owners have learned what to adjust from reading some of the negative posts. (not all of them) I wish them well and I will continue to go there whenever I can.
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #120
Woodsy

I have been to the Lobster Pound more than a few times... I usually go for a quick beer or two on the deck, as seafood is not my thing much to my gf's chagrin! (I think the first guy to eat a lobster was probably starving to death! but I will save that diatribe for another day.) I very rarely eat out for a big meal.

Anyway, the place usually has a BIG crowd, so they must be doing something right. The beer is cold, service good and sometimes there is a live music. Gotta love seeing Justin Jaymes out playing! I have met the brothers and they are VERY personable! I think they have worked out most if not all of the new restaurant gremlins! I really like the place!

Woodsy
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #121
COWISLAND NH

Default Best Place at the Weirs HANDS DOWN!!

I'll see you this weekend Mike....we luv it there. Koodos to making it a great place with great service!
COWISLAND NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #122
gtagrip

SAMIAM, I was going to say the exact smae thing you did, however I was short on time being at work.
Thanks for reading my mind!

Mike
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #123
Shore Driver

I took my family to the LP when I was up the first week of Aug. The meal was fine and the service was too.

The upstairs bar was a neat spot and they were cool with my kids running around up there.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #124
dpg

Quote:
Mike again I ask (2nd time) about post #19 that IS B.S. I hope. If not I personally would tar and feather my manager. Not for nothing but in my opinion you seem to selectively address posts you can defend. Just to busy to keep in touch or shear convenience???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #125
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
If someones foolish enough to spend 3.5 million ( a guess as read here ) then run the place as posted I say tuff! First day or 3 months into the season. With that kind of investment you need to be ready to run right outta the gate.
DPG, post #19 is your post. What are you talking about? I think in earlier posts the owner noted that they were working out issues (along with addressing specific issues. I have not tried the place yet so I can't say one way or another if the LP has worked out the kinks, but in general the more recent posts are positive.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #126
hazmatmedic

Default negative posts good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
Read fisfdc's post, again, and had to ask myself when was the last time I received a baked potato with my appetizer and is 4-6 ounces the same as 8 ounces?
Sounds like to me, you do what every American does and interpolate from erroneous facts. Could the potato come from the wife's platter? Mike said it was an appetizer.

I have said this before. Posters on this forum continually defend negative posts. The most common response, "I can tell who is lying." Sure enough. People followed suit and agreed. Yeah, you "guys" can tell.

Everyone just has to phrase their comments appropriately and of course be honest. It is so common for everyone to say, "It wasn't my fault." That applies to everyday life. Step up and admit to your mistakes. Its ok fishdc.
hazmatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #127
sa meredith

Default My Turn...

Yesterday (Friday) I had the chance to finally visit the Lobster Pound, and was very curious about what the experience would be like, in light of the numerous posts in this thread.
I was up at the lake with a good friend for our anual three day get away, to boat, booze, golf, and watch some baseball. Well, somehow, after golf, we ended up at Funspot to bowl "10 Pin". Had not done that since 1984...but that's a whole other story.
So, it's roughly 3:30, so not lunch time and certainly not dinner time either. And, as we were ready to settle in to some adult beverages, I suggested the Lobster Pound. And I have to say...the place simply got a "bad wrap".
To say I was impressed upon walking in would be an understatement. We got an immediate, warm greeting from a hostess with a big smile. The place was sparkling clean, and all the tables were set impecably. Everything just plain looked great. I mentioned to her I had never been, so she gave me a quick rundown of seating options..dining room, main bar, outside deck, and the third floor outdoor bar (apps only for food on the third floor). Now, in the interest of keeping a level playing field, I have to say it was just 3:45, so there was very very few customers there. So the problems others have encountered here...waiting forever for their food, and not getting quick service were problems I would have no chance of experiencing, as there was wait staff everywhere, in anticipation of a very large crowd arriving later.
We sat at the main bar, as the third floor bar was not yet open.
And I have to say...just friendly employees everywhere. Anyone who we happened to ask a question to was happy to talk about the restaurant, and the new owners...anything you wanted to know.
So, several beers at the bar, and an order of Steamers. They were perfect. After a short while the hostess came by and tapped me on the shoulder, mentioning that the third floor bar was now open....very nice of her.
Oh, as an aside..while we were sitting at the bar, a cook came out with a 17 lb lobster for all to see. Still alive. Pretty cool.
So we grab our drinks and head upstairs. The place was starting to get busy, and the food that I did see looked fantastic (for whatever that's worth).
Up on the third floor, we grabbed the two last remaining bar stools, and agian were greeted in a very friendly, and inviting way. We order crabcakes, and the now famous sesame ginger scallops. They are very clearly marked as an app., by the way, and at 8.99, I don't know how anyone would think it was an entre. They come with "Sticky Rice", so I am wondering if the poster a while back asked for a potatoe, instead of the rice, and that is were the potatoe came from...just a guess. Anyway...the food was great...we had it in 12/15 minutes, and it was fantastic.
The friend I was with is an part owner/GM of a popular restaurant, and he was surprised by the size and number of tables. And upon learning that they seat 400+, was amazed they could handle it. He told me his place seats 220, and when at capacity, all employees...wait staff, cooks, expo poeple...have to very very sharp. Everyone on their game. So at 400...wow.
I think this would explain some of the long ticket times written about earlier in this thread. Everyone was probably still learning, and with a full house...well, something had to give.
I can't say one negative thing about the two hours we spend at the Lobster Pound...the little food that we had was great, the service was perfect, and the atmosphere was exactly what I wanted. I guess I could say this...the menu is very pricey. If you are going for dinner, apps, drinks etc., I would say to plan for $50/$60 a head, easy.
And lastly...quick story regarding this forum. As we sat at the third floor bar, I was lucky enough to be sitting near a gentleman named Steve, and his lovely wife ( I forget her name) Anyway, the conversation turns to the lake and boating, and his 30+ years on the lake. Nice people...it really added to my enjoyment of the night. We start to discuss, in detail, the lake, and how difficult it can be out there. He tells me a horror story or two...and then says he recently read a story on line about some guy who drove right into the Witches, but came out OK. I laughed a bit to myself...but Steve, if you happen to read this...you were talking to that same guy! Small world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (09-01-2008), VtSteve (09-02-2008)
Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #128
Happy Gourmand

Smile Great Post

So, SA, I guess we can assume that your experience at the LP was somewhat better than your recent visit to the witches ? Thanks for sharing both experiences. I read your witches post 3 or 4 times and got the chills every time.
And from what I'm reading lately about the LP, it seems like the horror stories are well in their past. I haven't tried it yet, but after your post will do so soon.
Thanks
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #129
Hermit Cover

Default Lobster Parking....

Passed by the Lobster Pound this evening and the main parking lot, upper parking lot and overflow parking lot across the street were all jam packed full.....Just an observation....! (Not a review)
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #130
luvthelake

Default Lobster Pound visit

We went to the Lobster Pound for lunch on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Thought we'd give it a try. I hate to say that we were disappointed, but we were. It wasn't overly busy and we were seated right away on the first deck. Which I might add is a very nice view. We waited 30 minutes for our food to arrive at the table. I felt that was quite a long time to wait, but brushed it aside looking forward to a good meal. One of the people in our party ordered nothing but a Caesar salad, and another ordered a side salad - neither arrived with the rest of the food. We had to ask for both of those things 10 minutes later, as the server had disappeared all that time. When she finally arrived with the salads, we never saw her again until long after we finished our lunches and we had to ask for the check. Now it's Sunday and I don't mind just chilling out, but when the server didn't return to pick up the check in another 5-10 minutes, I went to the hostess desk to get it done. As far as the food goes, it was okay. Three of us ordered the fried belly clams and felt that there really weren't too many bellies at all, quite a few strips. But I will say that the portion seemed in line with what I expected.

Maybe we got an off day with the server, but sometimes that can make or break the deal. We aren't likely to go back.
luvthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #131
momof3

Smile Happy with the LP

My husband and I went on Saturday, August 30. Arrived approx. at 6:00 pm, maybe a little earlier. Greeted right away, very friendly!!! Sat outside, loved that, great atmosphere. Odered drinks, got them quickly, salads and our dinner. Service was great!! Our waiter was very nice. Food arrived in a timely manner, (of course we were out without our three children so I wouldn't have minded if it had been a 2 hour wait) Food was good, definitely want to go back.
I have to say that I really got caught up with this thread and almost didn't try it, but my husband insisted we give it a try. I am so glad I listened to him!!!!
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #132
ironhorsetim

Default Pat's game

A couple of friends and I went for the game yesterday, it was a slow Sunday only six people at the bar but the dining room was busy, anyway just after 1/2 time and a couple of cocktails (hic) * the owners Dad,I forget his name, came out with a huge platter of fried shrimp,fries, celery and dip for the bar, it was a nice treat. We asked for the surf-n-turf for next weeks game
The shrimp was great and the bartender couldn't do enough for us, I realize it was slow so we didn't have to wait for anything....but the expierience was a good one.

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #133
skisox24

Default Lobster Pound Ripoff

We went into the Lobster Pound last weekend with the goal of a quick meal prior to our Meadowbrook show. This was our third time at the new Lobster Pound. We applaud the new owneres for the terrific renovation of the old facility, and have appreciated the superb view from the upstairs outdoor lounge.

The food has been uneven. My wife really enjoyed the scallops, but the other seafood and shellfish choices have been just OK. Having dined there twice before, we knew that the menu prices were excessive, but also understood that we are OK with marginally higher prices in exchange for the new atmosphere and the superlative view.

But not this time. They have one pound of steamers on the menu for $15. That is way overpriced to begin with, and on my two prior experiences, I question whether the quantity served truly equals one pound. Town Docks in Meredith and Kevin's Cafe in Moultonborough provide generous portions of steamers at a much lower cost. For example, Kevin's Cafe provides a pound and a-half at $10. Town Docks, two pounds for $14. Well, on this particular night, Lobster Pound had a little notice stapled to their menu that declared that due to the recent increase in steamer prices, that the cost listed in their menu for one pound ($15) would have to be surcharged $3!!! $18 for less than one pound of steamers? A total ripoff. The manager informed us that their supplyer had significantly increased their per-bushel steamer cost. Town Docks and Kevin's later informed me that their sourcing costs have not materially changed. So....BEWARE!!!!
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #134
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisox24 View Post
We went into the Lobster Pound last weekend with the goal of a quick meal prior to our Meadowbrook show. This was our third time at the new Lobster Pound. We applaud the new owneres for the terrific renovation of the old facility, and have appreciated the superb view from the upstairs outdoor lounge.

The food has been uneven. My wife really enjoyed the scallops, but the other seafood and shellfish choices have been just OK. Having dined there twice before, we knew that the menu prices were excessive, but also understood that we are OK with marginally higher prices in exchange for the new atmosphere and the superlative view.

But not this time. They have one pound of steamers on the menu for $15. That is way overpriced to begin with, and on my two prior experiences, I question whether the quantity served truly equals one pound. Town Docks in Meredith and Kevin's Cafe in Moultonborough provide generous portions of steamers at a much lower cost. For example, Kevin's Cafe provides a pound and a-half at $10. Town Docks, two pounds for $14. Well, on this particular night, Lobster Pound had a little notice stapled to their menu that declared that due to the recent increase in steamer prices, that the cost listed in their menu for one pound ($15) would have to be surcharged $3!!! $18 for less than one pound of steamers? A total ripoff. The manager informed us that their supplyer had significantly increased their per-bushel steamer cost. Town Docks and Kevin's later informed me that their sourcing costs have not materially changed. So....BEWARE!!!!
Can you explain why you posted this here? There is a LP thread running on this forum- this post has nothing to do with Boston Seafood. Further, if you did not like the price of the steamers, why did you order them? You did not get ripped off, YOU ordered what you consider to be an overpriced appetizer.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #135
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default LB of Steamers

Since you asked on this thread, I feel compelled to defend the Lobster Pound
You need to know that depending on the size of the steamers you may only get between 12 - 20 per pound. When people see a pound (weighed on a scale) they can't believe it's a pound. I worked at a fish market and can say by experience, that most of the time people order a pound or two they always ask for more.
Why the high price? You don't buy frozen steamers nor do you freeze them if they don't sell so the throw away or spoil rate is high. Second, with all the rain up in Maine, the price of steamers have gone off the wall due to the red tide and closure of the mud flats. Most people who dig steamers also pick blueberries and unfortunately, they make more money on blueberries then digging clams.
So once and for all give the Lobster Pound a break when it comes to personnal preferences. if the menu say's a pound is $15 and you think that's high, as Vitabean said "don't order it".
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #136
jetskier

Post Generally high

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
Since you asked on this thread, I feel compelled to defend the Lobster Pound
You need to know that depending on the size of the steamers you may only get between 12 - 20 per pound. When people see a pound (weighed on a scale) they can't believe it's a pound. I worked at a fish market and can say by experience, that most of the time people order a pound or two they always ask for more.
Why the high price? You don't buy frozen steamers nor do you freeze them if they don't sell so the throw away or spoil rate is high. Second, with all the rain up in Maine, the price of steamers have gone off the wall due to the red tide and closure of the mud flats. Most people who dig steamers also pick blueberries and unfortunately, they make more money on blueberries then digging clams.
So once and for all give the Lobster Pound a break when it comes to personnal preferences. if the menu say's a pound is $15 and you think that's high, as Vitabean said "don't order it".
Our observation is that the Lobster Pound tends to be generally high on a number of items. I am chocking this up to the location and need to recover the investment in the new building. That being said, there are a number of good seafood restaurants in the area and most of them appear to have lower prices.

We have noticed that the business at the Lobster Pound has been brisk on the weekends, so they appear to be doing well. The real question will be how they do in the off season and into next year? That appears to be the challenge for any business in the Weirs district.

Personally, I hope that the establishment does well. I don't think that their food is particularly special, however, they do have a great location and a very good view. That helps.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #137
sa meredith

Default off season

Jetskier...I believe they are closed in the off season.
And, while I would agree that their prices are quite "strong", I must say, that during my only visit there this summer, I could find no fault with the place (post #127), although I really did not order a complete meal.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #138
Taz

Default steamers

A friend went to the Lobster Pound 3 weeks ago for steamers and they were $20 per pound so he and is wife walked out and went to the Town Dox. They were $8.99 per pound at the Town Dox and were excellent according to my friend.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #139
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
A friend went to the Lobster Pound 3 weeks ago for steamers and they were $20 per pound so he and is wife walked out and went to the Town Dox. They were $8.99 per pound at the Town Dox and were excellent according to my friend.
Yep- that is what I do, vote with my feet!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #140
jetskier

Post Fingers work better

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Yep- that is what I do, vote with my feet!
Voting with your feet makes the keyboard a bit nasty.

Actually, I agree with you 100%. There are many restaurants in the area and we don't have to be beholden to any establishment. If we have a good experience at a restaurant, we return and patronize them. Otherwise we move on.

As the saying goes..."you are only as good as your last meal in the restaurant biz"

In this economy, eating out is becoming much more of a luxury so the competition for your disposible dollar(s) is going to become pretty fierce.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #141
nj2nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Can you explain why you posted this here? There is a LP thread running on this forum- this post has nothing to do with Boston Seafood. Further, if you did not like the price of the steamers, why did you order them? You did not get ripped off, YOU ordered what you consider to be an overpriced appetizer.
Um, this IS the Lobster Pound thread, not the Boston Seafood thread. At least, I think it is.

nj2nh
Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #142
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Um, this IS the Lobster Pound thread, not the Boston Seafood thread. At least, I think it is.
Posts 133, 134 and 135 were moved here from the Boston Seafood thread.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #143
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post

nj2nh
You're right. I think Don the magician moved it to the correct location as it was in another thread..

my fingers were slow again

Last edited by Seeker; 09-23-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: slow fingers
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote