Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
CateP

Default Kindling Source

Hi there. I'm looking for a source for kindling in the Wolfeboro area (or around the lake). I need it for a fireplace this winter. (not a woodstove)

Got some "seasoned" firewood delivered and had to rent a log splitter to get most of it down to fireplace size and it turned out a lot of the wood was pretty wet. The guy who sold it me said it was out in the rain, but I think it was really a lot more green. (moisture drips out of the log ends when it burns and it hisses a lot)

When I lived in Maine I got my kindling from a cabinet maker who saved wood scraps. Any ideas of something similar in the area?
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Rag Top Daze

Default Fat wood

Hi Cate...Kindling was always a problem around here until TB's brother-in-law turned us on to the fat wood from LL Bean. It works fabulously, and only takes a couple of pieces to get the fire going. We bought the big box 2 years ago and have hardly made a dent in it. Here's the link http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/38687?feat=osbsr

Happy Thanksgiving...hope to see you again Friday night

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag Top Daze View Post
Hi Cate...Kindling was always a problem around here until TB's brother-in-law turned us on to the fat wood from LL Bean. It works fabulously, and only takes a couple of pieces to get the fire going. We bought the big box 2 years ago and have hardly made a dent in it. Here's the link http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/38687?feat=osbsr

Happy Thanksgiving...hope to see you again Friday night
Hi Rag Top,
I have fire starter bricks that work great. I just need kindling size wood to help burn this wet wood throughout the fire. I split a bunch with the log splitter, but I know it's not going to be enough based on my first burn last night.

(And yes, I plan to be at open mic night on Friday, guitar in hand.)
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default small bundles of firewood...

...and then if you have a hatchet handy, split them into smaller sticks (like about an inch square). Also, check with a few shops (one out by Trites on the right near Carroll country glass) and see if they have some scraps.

Worse case, a walk in the woods and pick up some fallen branches. Just don't go deep in the woods...it's hunting season, dear. Sorry, couldn't help myself .

And ditto on the fatwood...I found it to be better than starter blocks.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

In years past any local sawmill would have plenty of scraps hanging around. With wood pellets now the big heating craze all these scraps are being used to produce them.

I think your best bet is to check around your large local stores and industtrial areas and see if they have any unserviceable pallets or old packing crates they want to get rid of.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Kamper

Yep, that's green wood alright... Stack it with lots of gaps and the wind may help dry it a little.

Remember my suggestion about studs and straps? They will do as kindling too. If you can run a splitter than a small electric chain saw or a sawzall should not be much of a challenge.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
GTO

Default pallets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
In years past any local sawmill would have plenty of scraps hanging around. With wood pellets now the big heating craze all these scraps are being used to produce them.

I think your best bet is to check around your large local stores and industtrial areas and see if they have any unserviceable pallets or old packing crates they want to get rid of.

Good Luck!

Dan
Pallets are everywhere....you just have to look. I have been cutting up pallets each year for kindling. Doesn't take long with a good saw. We give away tons of pallets every year where I work but thats in Nashua. Check the local grocery stores in your area, they might be trashing theirs or any hardware store.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
TOAD

If you find some home construction sites they will usually let you pick up the scraps free.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Lakepilot

Cate,

I have some 2x4's and poplar scraps from a couple of projects. It'll do you for awhile. I was going to throw them in the truck and bring them to the dump, but you're welcome to them. If you want them, pm me with your phone number. We're in Wolfeboro.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
CateP (11-25-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
Cate,

I have some 2x4's and poplar scraps from a couple of projects. It'll do you for awhile. I was going to throw them in the truck and bring them to the dump, but you're welcome to them. If you want them, pm me with your phone number. We're in Wolfeboro.
The demo bins at the dump is a great resource for kindling.
nada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nada For This Useful Post:
CateP (11-25-2011)