Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Breakwater

Default Marine Patrol Releases Stats

I was just browsing the Marine Patrol site and they have released their 2009 season stats. Some interesting information.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Just Sold

Here is a link to the statistics http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s.../activity.html

Overall accidents and deaths were up but BWI was down.

2009 Speed Enforcement Statistics for Lake Winnipesaukee
OffenseSummonsWarnings
Speed - no wake zone941
Speed under bridge00
Speed Limit violation126
Old 12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
I was just browsing the Marine Patrol site and they have released their 2009 season stats. Some interesting information.
Very interesting indeed!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Here is a link to the statistics http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s.../activity.html

Overall accidents and deaths were up but BWI was down.

2009 Speed Enforcement Statistics for Lake Winnipesaukee
OffenseSummonsWarnings
Speed - no wake zone941
Speed under bridge00
Speed Limit violation126
Too bad about the accidents. I'll bet the early spring drowning deaths spiked the results, as many stated it would. Are the accident stats reflective of the four drowning deaths as well? It might explain both stats. Good to see they're watching the NWZ's more carefully.

65 accidents is way up from 2007 and 2008, but lower than in prior years. The accident data, especially collisions of all kinds, is disturbing. I don't remember seeing any threads about collisions this year.

At least the BWI's are down, hopefully because there weren't as many drunk boaters. All in all, I'd rate is a disturbing set of data for a bad boating year. One resisting arrest..... hmmmmmm maybe he's in more than one stat.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-05-2009)
Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
sunset on the dock

Looks like BWI arrests hit an 8 year low.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
I wouldn't roll my eyes too soon. There are some troubling stats there.

For instance.

Boat registrations down, requests for service down.

Accidents and incidents are up, fatalities are also up

Collisions of all kinds are up, including non-powered vessels.

Warnings and summons are down.

Even a cursory inspection reveals that while there were more problems this past year, even with fewer boats, there was also less enforcement.
Let me rephrase that. Fewer stops and/or tickets were made.

So who's getting into all these boating accidents? I hardly heard of any
Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Yes that's good! But do you think that the act of BWI was really down this year? Or perhaps the Marine Patrol were distracted trying to observe or enforce another law, and that is why there were less arrests for BWI? Gee, I would hate to have BWI enforcement suffer because the MPs are watching for something else.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
ITD

This is very disturbing, accidents and deaths are up? This is not what we were told would happen.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Rinkerfam

Boat registrations were roughly the same for 2009 as 2008, so those two years are sort of apples to apples. Weather was fairly similar as well. The economy wasn't too different either. So the $64,000 is...was 2009 any safer (it was perceived to be by some) on the Big Lake? Let the debate begin!
Old 12-05-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
ApS

Question Fatalites Increased 195%...?

1) Those "Collisions" with rocks is trending 'way down. Is that due to increased GPS use and Bizer's comprehensive charting of rocks?

2) The decline in boat registrations follows a national trend away from boating (hence the Discover Boating advertisements by the "marine trades"), so how many previously-existing registrants are discouraged by ethanol-related expenses?

3) Why do they separate "Accidents" from "Incidents"? Do "Incidents" cover the cases where the MPs are advised after 24-hours have passed or a third party reports the case?

When damage is less than $2000, or can't be determined at the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...Are the accident stats reflective of the four drowning deaths as well..."
Among us, we should be able to account for more than the two hypothermia fatalities on Lake Winnipesaukee and the one fisherman on Newfound Lake. Whose jurisdiction would cover the article I found this morning about a 2009 submerged-car drowning?

Before this 195% increase in fatalities , I remember seeing this appear repeatedly:

Quote:
"GILFORD, NH – New Hampshire has the lowest rate of recreational boating fatalities in New England, according to US Coast Guard statistics, and is among seven states that have the lowest rates in the country...David T. Barrett...said the low fatality rates reflect a combination of factors, such as mandatory boater education, aggressive patrol and a cooperative spirit and partnership between the marine trades and water-related tourist businesses."
This year's NHMP "spin" ought to be One Classic Hum-dinger.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
DEJ

So it appears that those who felt the lake was safer this year were wrong, in reality it was actually less safe, imagine that. I love data.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
Happy Gourmand

Default Stats

I believe that these stats are for all of NH lakes and rivers....not just Winnipesaukee. I wonder if there is a breakdown of stats available?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Yes that's good! But do you think that the act of BWI was really down this year? Or perhaps the Marine Patrol were distracted trying to observe or enforce another law, and that is why there were less arrests for BWI? Gee, I would hate to have BWI enforcement suffer because the MPs are watching for something else.
With the relatively small number of warnings issued(26), that seems a little hard to believe. And BUI violations tend to occur in tandem with the breaking of other boating laws as well, just like on the highways. I wouldn't want our highway laws eliminated so that officers could concentrate on DUI arrests...these other laws are in fact what gives the officers an opportunity to pull drunks over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
This is very disturbing, accidents and deaths are up? This is not what we were told would happen.
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
So it appears that those who felt the lake was safer this year were wrong, in reality it was actually less safe, imagine that. I love data.
So do I, and when you look at the data from the previous 8 years (not just the one previous year) you can see that this year's data compared with data from a few years ago does in fact look rather encouraging. Clearly boater education and sub racetrack speeds will be a combination for a better and safer lake experience for all.

Last edited by sunset on the dock; 12-05-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
DEJ

Based on the 2009 results the data clearly shows a particular law did nothing to make the lake safer. It appears the lake was safer prior to 2009.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Based on the 2009 results the data clearly shows a particular law did nothing to make the lake safer. It appears the lake was safer prior to 2009.
2006 looks particularly bad compared to last year. Slower speeds and better boater education is a recipe that will be hard to beat!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default MP budget

The marine patrol budget is down this year. That means less resources available for enforcement of the waterways. So it does not surprise me that accidents will be up and BUI infractions will be down.
The number of NWZ infractions tells me that there are an awfully lot of 'boneheads' out there. And it will get worst.

The only way we can make our waters safer is to make sure the marine patrol has enough funds to do their jobs. Not creating more headaches.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 12-05-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #17
Turtle Boy

Though it begs the question...with BUI's way down...did all the people who threatened to leave Winni and NH because of a new law do so ?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Though it begs the question...with BUI's way down...did all the people who threatened to leave Winni and NH because of a new law do so ?
With boat registration roughly the same as last year, who replace those that left?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
DEJ

No one left, could be BUI's are down due to stretched MP resources.

Last edited by DEJ; 12-05-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
sunset on the dock

Quote:
No one left, could be BUI's are down due to stretched MP resources.
As was alluded to above, many on this forum threatened to boat elsewhere if a certain law was passed. Could those who left have a higher prevalence and tendency for BUI? And again, with 26 speed related warnings it hardly seems reasonable that said MP resources were stretched to any significant extent enforcing the new law. In the future, going after speeders only enhances our ability to pick up the drunks...as we have heard ad nauseum on this forum..."drunks don't obey the law".
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

These stats I don't think reflect the relatively light boat traffic on the lake this year, I'd venture to say it was even lighter this year than last. The weather really messed things up, even for me I was off a good 40-50 hours of operation due to the weather.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #22
BroadHopper

Default Agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
These stats I don't think reflect the relatively light boat traffic on the lake this year, I'd venture to say it was even lighter this year than last. The weather really messed things up, even for me I was off a good 40-50 hours of operation due to the weather.
I have cut my use in half this year. Mostly raft or visit the 'ports'. I notice less waiting at all ports this year. I notice skippers are 'hanging out' more at their marinas. I also notice a number of boats that had their shrink wraps on all summer. So the signs of less boat traffic are out there. Not hard to find.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
DEJ

As I said no one left. I see the same boats this year as I have seen for the past several seasons and some new one's to boot. Saying they were leaving was a bunch of stuff as I think most here know.

With only 26 warnings considering the number of boats that use the lake this clearly shows that this is not a problem and backs up the study the MP did which also showed this wan not an issue. Data, gotta love it!!!.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
VtSteve

Whenever more specific data comes out, perhaps this will be clearer.

Personally, I'd love to discuss just the data itself, with no agenda one way or the other. I "Think" we can have an intelligent discussion without the singling out of one issue or another.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #25
Resident 2B

Default Inconclusive

My opinion is the data does not show much, one way or the other. I believe we need another year to see two years of data before any real conclusion can be drawn.

R2B
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (12-06-2009)