Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
KWilliams

Default Rock Bass ??

We just returned from a visit to the lake and have a question. We caught probably 20 rock bass which was a first for us. Never caught one in the last 20 years of fishing the same areas. Were these accidentally introduced or a sign of changing water quality? Thank you in advance.
KWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Jonas Pilot

What kind of spots were you fishing, depth, bottom etc?
There has been confirmed rock bass in Winni for 3 or 4 years.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
KWilliams

Default rock bottoms ...

and shallow depths. Classic smallmouth bass spawing flats. Any idea how the rock bass got introduced to the fishery?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Jonas Pilot

Not sure how they ended up in Winni. I hope it was by accident. I can't see it helping any part of the fishery. I heard it drastically effected Lake Sunapee's bass fishing.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
MikeF-NH

I have never caught a rock bass on Winni so my first thought was "he was catching smallmouth and doesn't know how to ID a rock bass" but since you later mentioned smallmouth I think you know your fish ID. Are you also sure it wasn't a white perch? If rock bass are indeed introduced to Winni, it could affect all game species in the lake. I'm hoping it's just a mis-ID.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs down Rock Bass

I'm afraid they've been in the lake for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Grant took some underwater pictures of Rock Bass while diving at Lady of the Lake. In some old threads he keeps promising us a fish fry!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
KWilliams

Default I assure you ...

I can positively identify a Rock Bass. This is what prompted my concern for the fishery. We caught approximately 20 of them last week in the north end of the lake.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
Jonas Pilot

I'm not looking for any of your "hot spots" but I'm curious where you found them. I have seen them caught them in Back Bay, Wolfeboro in the SW part of the lake. These were caught in shallow water on a crawler under a bobber. I knew about the "Lady of the Lake". I hope you don't mind sharing where and how you caught them and how big they were. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
TOAD

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
AC2717

I had a couple of dead ones float by me the other day near our cottage. I was wondering what they were, I do not wish death on fish, but these I would love to get rid of
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
KWilliams

Default not a problem ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
I'm not looking for any of your "hot spots" but I'm curious where you found them. I have seen them caught them in Back Bay, Wolfeboro in the SW part of the lake. These were caught in shallow water on a crawler under a bobber. I knew about the "Lady of the Lake". I hope you don't mind sharing where and how you caught them and how big they were. Thanks.
heck, the whole lake is a hot spot. I've been bringing the family up from Pennsylvania for 20 straight years now. I'm strictly catch and release and WILL NOT fish bedding bass. The rock bass were caught on topwater baits in the Center Harbor area. Blackey Cove, 1/2 mile Isle, Black Cat, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to KWilliams For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Grant

They've been in Winnipesaukee for a while now. The photo posted above by Rattlesnake Gal was taken by me on the wreck of Lady of the Lake in 2002. There remains a very large population of rock bass on that wreck (as well as some nice smallies co-existing). The wreck lies in 30 feet of water, and the deck is probably 20+ feet deep.

That being said, I can't remember seeing rock bass elsewhere in the lake -- at least not in a concentration like on the wreck of the Lady.
Jonas Pilot (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Jonas Pilot

What's the largest size you have seen or caught?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Nitronut

Default Rock Bass

I've been catching them for the past 5 years at least, mostly in the same area around Lady of the Lake and in Smith's Cove. An occasional one down in Alton Bay. Mostly small, no bigger than a pound or so.
Love to see them gone.
Nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
Jonas Pilot

I don't think they're going any place. I wonder which species they will compete with the most.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
FLAG!

Default Rock Bass = No Good

I grew up fishing smallmouth on both Winni and Sunappe. Sunappe used to be a great smallie lake. In the 1990's the bass fishing there absolutely shut down. Rock bass took over big time. You could hardly get soft plastics to the bottom of the lake without getting picked up by rock bass. Most fisherment I saw catch them would use a pair of wire cutters and cut the spine and toss them back for the birds. Lake Sunapee now holds a season long Rock Bass tournament where total weight wins. People bring buckets of rock bass to the town docks for weigh-ins. I've heard the bass fishing is coming back, but I have no confirmation of that rumor.

I was on vacation at winni last week and snorkeling in front of my own cottage in south wolfeboro bay I spotted a small rockbass in about 5 feet of water. I've known they were in the north end of the lake, but I'm afraid they are really going to take hold in the next few years. I'm not sure what can erally be done to save the lake from them.
FLAG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
secondcurve

Maybe Winni should host a Rock Bass tournament like Sunapee?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
GTO

Default they are here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post

a friend caught 2 in a row tonight in Ctr Harbor. Thought at first it was white perch but definately a rock bass
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
secondcurve

Hopefully, he kept them. I always do.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
Flippin NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAG! View Post
I grew up fishing smallmouth on both Winni and Sunappe. Sunappe used to be a great smallie lake. In the 1990's the bass fishing there absolutely shut down. Rock bass took over big time. You could hardly get soft plastics to the bottom of the lake without getting picked up by rock bass. Most fisherment I saw catch them would use a pair of wire cutters and cut the spine and toss them back for the birds. Lake Sunapee now holds a season long Rock Bass tournament where total weight wins. People bring buckets of rock bass to the town docks for weigh-ins. I've heard the bass fishing is coming back, but I have no confirmation of that rumor.

I was on vacation at winni last week and snorkeling in front of my own cottage in south wolfeboro bay I spotted a small rockbass in about 5 feet of water. I've known they were in the north end of the lake, but I'm afraid they are really going to take hold in the next few years. I'm not sure what can erally be done to save the lake from them.
Sunapee 's Bass fishing for smallies and largmouth has been great the last 2 or 3 years. A Tourney this year had a winning 5 fish bag over 25 pounds.
Flippin NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flippin NH For This Useful Post:
FWF (06-23-2016)
Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippin NH View Post
Sunapee 's Bass fishing for smallies and largmouth has been great the last 2 or 3 years. A Tourney this year had a winning 5 fish bag over 25 pounds.
That's a healthy bag! I've only caught two smallies in the five pound range in my many years on the Lake. But I've sure met a few more under the surface.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #22
JRossetti

I rented a camp on Smith point road last week, the kids blasted through 3 packs of worms and caught close to 25 rock bass off the dock. The dock had a big rock breaker wall and the rock bass were loaded in there. Biggest was 9 inches. I told the boys that I would give them 25 cents per fish, all were removed and used in the garden They were fishing in about 3-5 fow I was thinking there could be a real probblem soon with that many in such a tiny area.
JRossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRossetti For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #23
AC2717

I jumped off my boat on the mooring the other day, turned around with my goggles on and what did i see. I saw the red eyes, so I am almost 99% sure it was a rock bass, well over a foot long, just staring at me and would not move. This was in Paugus bay

are red eyes a give away?

also was in about 5 feet of water, sandy bottom
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #24
Pricestavern

Default Rockies at Rattlesnake

Fishing off my dock with a small lure yesterday evening and caught two in a a matter of minutes when I casted over by my neighbor's breakwater. Boyh about 6". Caught in about 6' of water.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Warren T

Default Rock Bass

Here I go, Rock Bass are a real problem. If there is any way to get the word out, people ought to be sure not to throw them back in when they catch them. I keep a 5 gallon bucket on my boat and don't throw them back. Those red eyed devils need to be eliminated. If you want to see most of the other "good fish" gone, let them live and see what happens. If there's not a concerted effort to fish them out, within a few more years you will catch 30 - 50 Rock Bass to one smallie or large mouth. My friend cooked some rock bass the other day, said they were good eating.
Warren T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warren T For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-12-2014), Pineedles (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
Warren T

Default Rock Bass

Just checked the regulations, there is no closed season and no limits on rock bass. Go Get em...
Warren T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
PaugusBayFireFighter

Just caught this guy off my dock. This is the rock bass. They are not the only bass with red eyes, some smallmouth bass have them too. The giveaway, besides the red eye, is the silver and black color and hybrid mouth. They look like a sun fish and a smallmouth bass crossed.
The only bass restrictions are small and largemouth, catch and release through tomorrow.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

It's entertaining to read through the debates from 10 years ago (on our old forum system) when some were insisting that there were no Rock Bass here. "Swenson" explains why they could not possibly thrive in the lake:

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=58742
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
FLAG! (03-28-2014), trfour (06-17-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
PENIVISA

Default rock bass

Have been fishing lake winni my whole life and this year was the first time I caught one, then 6 more. Hope this doesn't destroy fishing for bigger game fish in the future......

Last edited by PENIVISA; 06-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
PENIVISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #30
Real fishing

Exclamation Nuisance !

The rock bass is most certainly in the lake no matter what anyone says. I have caught numerous white perch and rock bass collectively and know the difference, the white perch do not however bed with the smallmouth as I have observed underwater. The white perch often reside in larger columns of water in schools at least in Winni. The times I have been fishing at the Long Island bridge I had caught a rock bass on whatever soft plastic I threw down there. They devour everything they see and are a definite threat to all game species in Winni. They also bed in June - July in shallow water near my dock and when the Fam goes for a swim they are brutally attacked by the fish that are trying to protect their beds. It was unbearable and some would not bite a hook while bedding. I solved that problem with a speargun but I know others will be back next year. They are a nuisance to the lake in I believe they are not a natural species to Winni but somehow with the slightly warmer waters of recent years have migrated through river systems or accidentally illegally introduced. If you catch them killem or eat whatever you want but they must be eliminated at all costs if possible. Those who don't believe they are there are to old school and need to realize what's happening.
Real fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #31
FLAG!

Default Rock bass

The rock bass population has exploded in the south end of the lake in the last two years. They certainly are an invasive species and a nuisance. In the 1990s lake sunapee was devastated by the rock bass. Smallmouth fishing went from spectacular to awful in a few short years. The association had annual season-long rock bass tournaments where all the catch were killed. It may still go on. Im noy sure, but ive heardcthe lake hasvrecovered. I was saddened to see rock bass in underwater photos of lady of the lake years ago and it took some time but eventually they arrived in wolfeboro. A fish and game employee told me that winni's size would help it survive the rock bass infestation. Regardless we kill all rock bass we catch. They make good fertilizer and compost, but they have to be burried.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #32
FLAG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
It's entertaining to read through the debates from 10 years ago (on our old forum system) when some were insisting that there were no Rock Bass here. "Swenson" explains why they could not possibly thrive in the lake:

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=58742
Did any of those guys asserting there are no rock bass in winni ever man up and admit their error? It was very funny reading that back and forth.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #33
Pineedles

There's more rock bass here in Center Harbor than ever before. at least 2 dozen under our dock. TOPWATER, I pulled at least 8 out. You know where I live, get the rest.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
topwater (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #34
topwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
There's more rock bass here in Center Harbor than ever before. at least 2 dozen under our dock. TOPWATER, I pulled at least 8 out. You know where I live, get the rest.
If I do, you will never see those little suckers again...They will be floating loon food. It's funny you mentioned that, I was speaking to Fish&Game about this on Sunday. I mentioned how Rock Bass are taking over Winnie and do they plan on trying to stop this. Their response was (there is nothing we CAN do ). The Person I spoke with is a very reliable guy and he felt that the rock bass will not have any effect on Winnie. I disagree, but what do I know ?
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #35
PastorT

Default Rock Bass

I've posted before, but I think the best thing to do whenever you catch a rock bass is, don;t throw it back... Keep a bucket and use them for gardens etc... They spawn like crazy, I never throw them back.
PastorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #36
kawishiwi

Default Rock bass all over east of Long Island bridge

My first season with my new boat has been spent fishing east of long island and i have found numerous 7 to 9 inch rock bass on virtually every shallow smallmouth friendly boulder group. They hit anything. Oddly enough weve been catching bass too with the larger being largemouth. Last Friday evening we had a spot with numerous rock bass, a pickerel, a few smallies 12-15 inch, a couple of largies that spit the hook with one being at least 3+ lbs. (Easily big enough to feed on 8" rockies). As we are just learning weve been fishing shallow and not deep yet.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #37
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorT View Post
I've posted before, but I think the best thing to do whenever you catch a rock bass is, don;t throw it back... Keep a bucket and use them for gardens etc... They spawn like crazy, I never throw them back.
Great advice! Thanks! I realize this is a late thanks.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #38
Resident 2B

These fish will greatly harm the lake. Please do not throw the back in!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #39
AC2717

Must have caught about 15 maybe more in Paugus bay July 4th morning, had kids on the boat, was trying to eradicate them at the same time, it was a hard to do, some made it back to the lake
Old 07-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #40
wynndog

Default Rock bass

Caught some at docks in alton bay last week
w d
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #41
noreast

caught about 12 last week in limited fishing mostly around rattlesnake. flag is right, sunapee was shut down for small mouth for a long time.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #42
AC2717

caught another dozen or so this weekend in Paugus again, getting sick of it
Old 07-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #43
NH_boater

Default Alton Bay

I fish Alton Bay regularly. The Gazebo used to be a great spot for smallest just 2 or 3 years ago, with an occasional 3 pounder. Now it is 100% rock bass, in my experience. The rock boulder shore on the West side headed out (just NW of gazebo) was another great area for smallest and is now 90% rockers.

They have taken over areas of the SM fishery and are expanding rapidly. You know you have one (rock bass) when they nibble a bite (rather than a hit), and they have one small surge of a fight and then they give up, as opposed to smallest that fight all the way in. You can feel it instantly.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #44
AC2717

It is time to introduce:
a No Limit (size nor quantity) Rock Bass Tournament just like Sebago to eradicate them

At this point there would be no need for a prize because I am sure all us fisherman would love to help out, just drop your pile off and you get listed for your skills
ApS (07-16-2015), KeepItSimple (07-14-2015), Resident 2B (07-15-2015), secondcurve (07-16-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #45
bt99

Seeing the same thing in the Harilla area. Just a few years ago, I could drift around in the kayak, pulling smallies all over the place.

This past weekend and for much of this year, couldn't find a small mouth bass anywhere. They weren't even in their normal bedding areas around my dock.
bt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #46
barefootbay

Are they a good eating fish ?
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #47
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
Are they a good eating fish ?
Too good. They have been eating all the regular bass.
noreast (07-17-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #48
AC2717

another 30 plus rock bass in Paugus Bay this sunday in less than three hours
Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #49
Ed R

Looks like they have expanded their habitat.

From the NH fish & Game
Habitat: Rock bass are found in the shallow margins of lakes, ponds, and larger rivers where they usually prefer rocky or substrate mixed with areas of sand and gravel.

Fished several humps in the broads 25-40' deep using a dropshot rig with a 4" worm. Caught Rock bass/Redeye 6-9"s or same size Smallmouth on every cast.

I would say they are competeing with the Bass, Trout and Salmon if they are on the Smelt and Perch fry.
Ed R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed R For This Useful Post:
noreast (09-21-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #50
Rob M

Default Rock Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
My first season with my new boat has been spent fishing east of long island and i have found numerous 7 to 9 inch rock bass on virtually every shallow smallmouth friendly boulder group. They hit anything. Oddly enough weve been catching bass too with the larger being largemouth. Last Friday evening we had a spot with numerous rock bass, a pickerel, a few smallies 12-15 inch, a couple of largies that spit the hook with one being at least 3+ lbs. (Easily big enough to feed on 8" rockies). As we are just learning weve been fishing shallow and not deep yet.
I fish all over New England, but mostly the lakes region, and have never had a Largemouth or Smallmouth cough up a rock bass. I have had them cough up every other type of fish, mice, chipmunks, snakes, turtles, but never a rock bass.
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #51
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
What kind of spots were you fishing, depth, bottom etc?
There has been confirmed rock bass in Winni for 3 or 4 years.
More like 15-20 years. The photo of the school on the Lady of the Lake wreck posted by Rattlesnake Gal above was taken in 2002, and there was already a HUGE population on the wreck at that point. Even more now.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #52
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
I fish all over New England, but mostly the lakes region, and have never had a Largemouth or Smallmouth cough up a rock bass. I have had them cough up every other type of fish, mice, chipmunks, snakes, turtles, but never a rock bass.
That is very interesting. How do you think they get the mice etc? I never would have thought----
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #53
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That is very interesting. How do you think they get the mice etc? I never would have thought----
Mice can swim, and if they make the mistake of going into the water and there is a good sized large mouth bass around, it's dinner time. I have personally seen them eat "Baby Ducklings" as well.

Not as popular as a fishing lure up north, but very popular down south.

Bass in Winnipesaukkee tend to go after beer cans, to get the crayfish that live inside them.

On a more serious note, I remember when I was a kid on Lake Winnisquam in the late 60's or early 70's there was a similar problem with white perch taking over the lake after the state tried to clean up the lake with chemicals to help control pollution before Laconia upgraded it's sewage treatment facilities. From what I understand it killed off the micro organisms that the bait fish survived on, then in turn killing off the the larger game fish due to no food supply. It was not uncommon back then to see thousands upon thousand of white perch feeding in schools on the surface.

At first glance you might think why didn't the game fish eat the white perch. They do but only when they're young. After they reach a certain size only very large fish can take them down and digest them leading to an over population of mature breeding fish that can out {compete} the slower reproducing species.

I would not be surprised if something similar is happening with the rock bass, where the predator / prey / food supply / breeding population/ habitat relationship has gotten out of balance or changed. I have been fishing this lake for a lot of years now and have seen a slow steady decline with regard to the number big warm water fish. Yes big fish can still be caught from time to time, it just seems like there is a lot less of them in recent years. I wonder if the chemicals the state is using to control invasive weeds these days is driving these fish to new areas of the lake to find food, hence the different reports of them showing up in the lake where they had never been seen before. Somehow Lake Winnisquam rebounded from all this and turned into a great place to fish.

Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass contrary to popular belief are not native to Lake Winnipesaukkee. They were introduced as well , but the rock bass seem to be truly undesirable.

Last edited by Top-Water; 11-29-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #54
tis

Thanks! I appreciate that. I can understand the ducklings and the snakes, which are in the lake though I don't like to think about it, and the turtles but the mice and the chipmunks really baffled me. I didn't know mice swam I guess. I am still amazed, I loved learning this little fact. Guess it doesn't take much huh?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #55
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Swimming mouse

Mice love to swim...
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #56
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default What's that mouse doing in my bathtub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Mice love to swim...
What's that mouse doing in my bathtub??? Looks like the backstroke.

Back to the rock bass....
Old 11-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #57
8gv

I had my son and his friend in a canoe with me when I noticed a little mouse swimming toward us. As he got close to the canoe it was obvious that he would have to travel some of the length of the canoe in order to continue on to shore.

I was looking down on the mouse wondering if he was going to choose the short or long way around when something big came into focus below him. Before I could utter "holy %%%%" the object below became apparent as a 5-6# largemouth bass and zoomed up to swallow the mouse.

It was like watching Wild Kingdom! Well, at least for me it was. For the mouse it was more like "Jonah and the Whale".

The boys saw just enough of it to go searching for mouse lures on our next tackle shopping mission.

Last edited by 8gv; 06-22-2016 at 12:37 PM.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #58
tis

So very interesting. I thought I had seen all the animals swimming in the lake that there are to see (including moose) but don't ever remember seeing a mouse swim. Love reading this!! We have seen a loon get baby ducklings too.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #59
Rob M

Default Odd paddlers

This summer I was fishing early in the am off Sandy Island and saw what I thought was a beaver swimming in the distance, as I got closer I found it was a squirrel swimming from Long Island out to one of the smaller islands. I watched to see if any large fish would interrupt its swim, but it made it safely to shore.
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #60
Pineedles

Default My contribution

During my vacation I rid the lake of dozens of rock bass right off my dock. Some boat fisherman were catching and releasing them to which I told them, rock bass aren't catch and release like most other species prior to June 15th. Throw them on shore or put'em in a bucket to dispose of later. It may be futile but the fact that I only hooked on to 1 bass while fishing makes me believe that they are negatively impacting other species.
AC2717 (06-17-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #61
lakershaker

Quote:
During my vacation I rid the lake of dozens of rock bass right off my dock. Some boat fisherman were catching and releasing them to which I told them, rock bass aren't catch and release like most other species prior to June 15th. Throw them on shore or put'em in a bucket to dispose of later. It may be futile but the fact that I only hooked on to 1 bass while fishing makes me believe that they are negatively impacting other species.
I agree. This is the first year I've really seen them out at Rattlesnake, and they seem to be displacing our old resident bass. My son is having a great time pulling them up though.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #62
AC2717

they don't even give a fight, they attach latch onto the hook and go for a ride
can always tell when I have one on the line
Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #63
Pineedles

I agree AC, the worst they can do is swim around one of the dock pilings to snag the line. BTW I am in Center Harbor bay, so they have made it as far as they can go Northwest in the lake.

I wonder if they have made it to Lake Kanasatka? There is a stream that runs between Lake K and Blackey Cove. Just don't remember if both are at the same elevation or not. This pic is where the stream is located.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #64
Flyfisha

Default Years

Been pulling them out at Rattlesnake for a few years now. My 10 year old nephew catches at least 40 per day. They appear to be getting larger as the years pass!!!!
Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #65
KeepItSimple

Default my solution

Tastiest fish in the lake! OK, probably not. But maybe if we spread that rumor more people will catch and eat them. Thats what I do. Clean and scale, then a slice of lemon, splash of white wine and olive oil, dried herbes de provence, wrapped in a foil pouch and cooked on the grill. Yum!
Attached Images

KeepItSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #66
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItSimple View Post
Tastiest fish in the lake! OK, probably not. But maybe if we spread that rumor more people will catch and eat them. Thats what I do. Clean and scale, then a slice of lemon, splash of white wine and olive oil, dried herbes de provence, wrapped in a foil pouch and cooked on the grill. Yum!
whats your address, I drop off at least 10 a weekend, lot bigger as well
KeepItSimple (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #67
Pineedles

I kept a family of raccoons well fed and happy with my catch. But, seriously they aren't very tasty but I applaud your effort KeepItSimple.
KeepItSimple (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 02:44 AM   #68
ApS

Post The Clock Needs Setting Back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
I agree. This is the first year I've really seen them out at Rattlesnake, and they seem to be displacing our old resident bass. My son is having a great time pulling them up though.
In the annual post-winter inspection of my dock, this the first year I've seen Rock Bass in Winter Harbor. Where I'd formerly seen curious baby Bass swimming in two feet of "disturbed" water last Spring (as shown below), Rock Bass appeared fully grown and hiding in the same area.

This does not portend well.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #69
Pineedles

They do look to be fully grown, or at least well on their way. Some of the ones I was pulling out were 10" - 11". And BTW, they like to bite toes.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #70
noreast

Lat year, we caught them 5 to 1 over smally's. if not more. That included Rattlesnake and Winter harbor unfortunately.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #71
wtibert

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Lat year, we caught them 5 to 1 over smally's. if not more. That included Rattlesnake and Winter harbor unfortunately.
I've been 50/50 in Paugus between those and smallies this year so far.
wtibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #72
8gv

Tuesday's brief fishing trip in Paugus Bay resulted in 2 smallies and one rocky.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #73
bt99

Spent about a half hour on Saturday morning removing a number of rock bass from the lake. Set up with a small hook, little piece of worm and a bobber.

Threw the line in the water, less than 10 seconds later the bobber would go under. Reeled in the line, threw the rock bass into a bucket. Bait the hook and repeat the process. After a dozen or so, it started to slow down so I could enjoy a sip of coffee between casts.
bt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #74
noreast

I'm afraid the south west portion of the lake seems infested. The younger kids are pulling 15 a day in limited fishing. unfortunately they have been putting them back as I don't want them to take the 1st step to being a serial killer. The older kids can handle the culling though, They use them for lobster bait.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #75
secondcurve

Smile

Quote:
I'm afraid the south west portion of the lake seems infested. The younger kids are pulling 15 a day in limited fishing. unfortunately they have been putting them back as I don't want them to take the 1st step to being a serial killer. The older kids can handle the culling though, They use them for lobster bait.
What part of the lake do they catch Lobster in?
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-09-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #76
Rossapollo

Default Rock bass infestation

Wolfeboro bay infested with rock bass. Been fishing here for 20 years. In short destroying the 'milfoil' in back bay has affected the ecology in Wolfeboro bay. Before the milfoil treatment in backbay - we'd caught largemouth, then white perch moved through, then smallies dominated last 12 years. Season after weed removal actually caught a 'lost' pickerel in wbay not far from goodhue! Well this season my son & I lost count at 35 rock bass on our first day! At dock, trolling & from shore... Evening trolling around shore would yield 3-5 2lbs smallies...now one smallie per 6 rockbass...son pulled in a almost 2lb rockbass on a smallmouth spoon in 15' of water...
One rockbass last season now this year lost count on first day up...lakes have cycles but rock bass are not a natural cycle and are now unchecked in backbay & wbay...
Rossapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #77
noreast

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but they destroyed fishing in Sunapee for a LOOOONG time.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #78
Pineedles

I really believe a bounty has to be offered up by F&G. It doesn't have to be large, just an incentive to rid the Big lake of these invasive devils. I fished a trout stream in CT last week, been going there for years, caught a rock bass. This is the first time I have caught one in this stream, EVER!
AC2717 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #79
MikeF-NH

I dont think fish and game has money to offer a bounty but I'd love to see a "derby" of sorts with prizes offered for persons turning in most "poundage" of rock bass. Good way to remove 'tons' of rock bass from the lake....yes I know that new derbys on the lake are banned.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #80
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I dont think fish and game has money to offer a bounty but I'd love to see a "derby" of sorts with prizes offered for persons turning in most "poundage" of rock bass. Good way to remove 'tons' of rock bass from the lake....yes I know that new derbys on the lake are banned.
Sebago does it

why not do a state Derby and let them come from all lakes, ponds, and waterways of NH.

And why are new Derby's banned? that's nuts, so much for have a Bass Tournament up here aired on national TV that will draw crowds and revenue
Old 07-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #81
wtibert

Default Moultonborough

Does anyone know if they've been seen in Moultonborough? I'll be up there all week next week and wouldn't mind culling a whole bunch from the lake if they are there....
wtibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #82
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtibert View Post
Does anyone know if they've been seen in Moultonborough? I'll be up there all week next week and wouldn't mind culling a whole bunch from the lake if they are there....
Oh yeah they're there.
wtibert (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #83
noreast

Quote:
I really believe a bounty has to be offered up by F&G. It doesn't have to be large, just an incentive to rid the Big lake of these invasive devils. I fished a trout stream in CT last week, been going there for years, caught a rock bass. This is the first time I have caught one in this stream, EVER!
It was that or the new building, The vote was close, the fish won.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:15 PM   #84
topwater

Quote:
It was that or the new building, The vote was close, the fish won.
In my opinion the Rock bass are here to stay. With the amount of them and the vast distances that they are discovered, No way to take them out. As a lot of things, It will get worse before it gets better.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #85
KrotzNH

Quote:
Oh yeah they're there.
We own a home in Moultonborough, and I have been fishing the lake for 5 years now. My target is usually bass and pickerel, but the number of rock bass I have been catching has grown exponentially each year. This season, I have literally caught more rock bass than all other fish combined - and I am using large lures that rock bass have no business biting! It is very concerning ....
KrotzNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #86
SteveO123

Angry In Opechee too...

Caught my first-ever rock bass (2 in a couple of minutes) here on Opechee the other day for the first time in 10 years. Coincidentally (?) the largemouth left after the milfoil was removed. Oh well-- Just have to deal with those red-eyed bass-turds now.

--Steve
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #87
kawishiwi

Default Could be a long term problem...

From. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fish...rock-bass.html
"Conservation/Management: Rock bass are considered an invasive species that, once introduced, is capable of altering the food web in lake and pond ecosystems.

Recommendations:

Discourage the spread of rock bass through illegal introduction into new waterbodies. Once established, rock bass are virtually impossible to eradicate."

So until something starts feeding in earnest on the rock bass or rock bass fry it seems they are with us. As with any population theres a chance it will crash and maybe the bass can make a comeback. As it is I'ved moved my bass fishing to 30ft+ in midsummer. It appears to me, a winni novice, that there are smallmouth that have become more like the salmon feeding on the open water bait. Read some of the trip reports on fishlakewinni.com to hear how many smallies are being caught DEEP by the Salmon/Trout trollers.
Its tough fishing that deep to find bait/bass as they appear to relate only to the wandering bait clouds vs gathering on structure.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #88
Rossapollo

Default Rock bass won over Wolfeboro bay

Three years after I saw the switch in the species and made a post calling this out - we caught 54 rock bass in less than 45 min. Without pickerel and largemouth bass living in back bay in the milfoil and other natural weeds that provided excellent habitat for the the only predators for this invasive species - fishing for smallies perch or any decent sport fish is now finished. Drop in walleye or lakers when the water cools? These rock bass are like freshwater piranhas. The lake was all over a weed and dumped herbicide to kill it and all the other natural weeds in back bay - now thanks to that Winni is now A Rockbass lake. Who made the call for the milfoil eradication in ‘05/‘06 that now has led to an explosion of rockbass ? Did they factor in the impact to the lake’s ecosystem...anyway who has any ideas on eliminating rock bass...
Rossapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:10 AM   #89
ApS

Smile Bob's...

I attended a reunion that was serving fried Rock Bass. (Caught in Winter Harbor).

It was "Bob's of Wolfeboro" who catered it.

Delicious!
Top-Water (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:21 AM   #90
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I attended a reunion that was serving fried Rock Bass. (Caught in Winter Harbor).

It was "Bob's of Wolfeboro" who catered it.

Delicious!
Thank you for the comment, and your experience consuming it.

A fish that should be encouraged to be removed from the lake.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #91
rsmlp

Default Rock Bass

Are the lionfish of the freshwater lake. For those of you who are unaware, lionfish have taken over many once plentiful ocean ecosystems and are nearly impossible to remove-try as many do. Rock bass should absolutely NEVER be returned to the lake. Unfortunately, like lionfish the damage is done and the lake is forever altered.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #92
MRD

Caught 20 rock bass in an hour off my dock near the Cattle Landing dock. They are just about the only thing we now catch. We need a tournament to reduce the population. The winner is the person who fills the most five gallon buckets full of rock bass.
MRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRD For This Useful Post:
Chris M (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #93
Wifi-1

Be great if they could be packed up and given to the out of state homeless
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
MRD (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #94
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
Caught 20 rock bass in an hour off my dock near the Cattle Landing dock. They are just about the only thing we now catch. We need a tournament to reduce the population. The winner is the person who fills the most five gallon buckets full of rock bass.
Not sure how serious you are but it has been done before. Perhaps some of the folks that are familiar with Lake Winnisquam that can remember back to the lake 60' and early 70's and the fleets of Boston Whaler type boats back then that the state sent out with copper sulfate to help make the waters *appearance* look nicer ended up killing just about all the sports fish and the ecology that supported there food supply.

It's my understand for a while there were (state?) sponsored catch and kill tournaments targeting white perch. While I don't remember the actual tournaments from back then and the details, I do remember the fleets of boats dragging the burlap bags and certainly remember the millions of white perch schooling in the bays every night in the summer. When water skiing back then you might go thru schools a 1/2 mile or better in length when they were visibly on top of the water.

I have heard, but never eye witnessed myself personally they would remove dump truck loads of them while also restocking the sports fish species to reduce the food supply competition.

It's a dam shame that they seem to be taking over the lake. However there have been some stories out of Lake Sunapee that also has a rock bass problem and that some of there efforts to control them have been successful by encouraging taking of them and sponsoring removal completions.

On the good side what ever was done years ago to restore the sports fishery seemed to have worked on Winnisquam, -real- 4 pound small mouth were common in the late 90's for a while. A friend of mine with a prominent lakes region name caught an 11 pound lake trout weighed at "Sarges" a real monster.
So some how things "seemed" to get fixed for a while. On the bad side rock bass are all so in Winnisquam now and fishing seems to be on the decline.

Sadly it's a very complicated problem and any proposed solution can't be fixed on social media. It has to be very well thought so we don't make some new mistake.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #95
dt5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
that's what they should do for next year's winni derby. instead of targeting salmon, go after the rock bass. the salmon need a break and the rock bass need culling.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #96
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
that's what they should do for next year's winni derby. instead of targeting salmon, go after the rock bass. the salmon need a break and the rock bass need culling.
Not sure if a winter derby would yield any beneficial results for something like this. Rock Bass are part of the (sun-fish) species and are less active in cold water. Ideally in the summer with as many fisher people as possible would yield better results.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #97
dt5150

right, that's why i said the winni derby targeting salmon...
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #98
Trout

Default Winter Rock Bass

Years ago I have seen old times target rock bass ice fishing. They hang out in about 40' to 45' of water along ledges that drop to deeper water.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote