Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
shifthappens

Default Cable TV Alternative

Please excuse this 'controversial' post as it was not intended to do so. The information serves me and that's all that matters. I would appreciate it if the moderator would remove this in it's entirety. Thank you.

Last edited by shifthappens; 11-12-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
shifthappens

Default Btw

In case you think this is a scam I'm a 77+ year old retiree that lives in a mobile park behind Winnisquam Marine and I'm a bagger at Tilton, Market Basket so I AM a local who enjoys passing this on.
The Following User Says Thank You to shifthappens For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

You still need internet. Who is your internet provider?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You still need internet. Who is your internet provider?

I have an Atlantic Broadband package internet/cable/phone and they gouge me for cable for basic channels. Total of $165/month. They told me if I dropped the cable that my cost would still be the same. When my contract is up in August I will research for a phone/internet package elsewhere. Where I live I'm very limited as far as providers. I'm sure I can do better. My cable app at least has unlimited access to almost anything I want to watch wherever I am. I watched the embarassing Pats game the other night from Cuenca, Ecuador (where I am at the moment) in full clarity.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
Biggd

We have Broadband internet only in Meredith, $70 per month. Then we have Amazon Prime, along with Hulu, netflix, and Apple that our kids share with us. It seems to be enough to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifthappens View Post
I have an Atlantic Broadband package internet/cable/phone and they gouge me for cable for basic channels. Total of $165/month. They told me if I dropped the cable that my cost would still be the same. When my contract is up in August I will research for a phone/internet package elsewhere. Where I live I'm very limited as far as providers. I'm sure I can do better. My cable app at least has unlimited access to almost anything I want to watch wherever I am. I watched the embarassing Pats game the other night from Cuenca, Ecuador (where I am at the moment) in full clarity.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
shifthappens

Quote:
We have Broadband internet only in Meredith, $70 per month. Then we have Amazon Prime, along with Hulu, netflix, and Apple that our kids share with us. It seems to be enough to watch.

Sounds pretty good. My Broadband costs have risen at least 25-30% in a short time when I was told my monthly charges would remain the same for my 2 year contract. When I changed my tv package to less channel options to save $$$ they tell me my contract term starts over. Overall, I don't get it.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Biggd

Quote:
Sounds pretty good. My Broadband costs have risen at least 25-30% in a short time when I was told my monthly charges would remain the same for my 2 year contract. When I changed my tv package to less channel options to save $$$ they tell me my contract term starts over. Overall, I don't get it.
I've had internet only since I bought the place 6 years ago. So far they only went up once from $60 to $70.
I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
Old 11-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
shifthappens

Quote:
I've had internet only since I bought the place 6 years ago. So far they only went up once from $60 to $70.
I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
Wow. You're so lucky. If that was all that happened to me I wouldn't be complaining. The increases for me every 3-6 months have been about $25-30 each time. I had to scale back my tv channels to only local and even that didn't change my costs. Because I'm out of the country for a few months all the services are on hold til I get back and only cost about $16/month till I get back in January.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
MotorHead

Quote:
This is not an ad and I'm not selling this but as a local resident in Belmont I wanted to pass on a great option for cable that I have been using for almost 2 months and love it. I have an AtlanticBroadband package that keeps jacking up their rates whenever they feel like it. Got pissed off at talking to their reps and started looking around and found this site via FaceBook. I pay $80/6 months and have 'live' access to ANY tv channel in the US and a few countries. In addition, all sport channels, all the premium movie channels and on and on. I unplugged my DVR/cable connection at home and when my contract runs out in August I'm done with them. You download the app on your computer and you can either use an HDMI cable and connect to your TV or, like I have, the newest Chromecast stick, and choose what you want to watch. The kicker is at the moment I'm out of the country for a few weeks and I'm watching my shows live as if I were home. As long as you have a decent internet connection it works flawlessly and the quality is unbelieveable. Maybe try it our for a month. They don't automatically bill you either. Check out the site if you're interested and there is a lady on FaceBook that can answer any questions you might have. The viewing selections are crazy.

https://cablepassiptv.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2089843914419899/

There are absolutely no gimmicks to this. After using this for 2 months I'm convinced that this is my forever 'go to' source from now on. I am not due back in Belmont until January 8 or I would be happy to talk to anyone as far as my experiences with this so far. Like I said, I'm not selling this and I get nothing from passing this on but hate the freakin' cable services here and when I find a better option only happy to pass it on. I'll check back here in case you want to know more.
Cheers
What is the channel lineup?
Old 11-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #10
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
What is the channel lineup?
You have dropdowns and you pick the city in any state anywhere and it lists all channels in that city. Click on it and your there 'live'. I've been checking cities all over the place and always works. It's so cool.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
shifthappens

The only drawback I have found is that it doesn't have recording capabilies.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
shifthappens

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  63.8 KB

Here is part of a screen capture of the options just for the tv portion. It also has movies, etc.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Pyramid?????

Check out their website under the reseller tab. A little strange.

Dave
Old 11-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #14
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Check out their website under the reseller tab. A little strange.

Dave
Strange? What's strange?
Old 11-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Strange? What's strange?
It looks like a pyramid scheme. If I go on the website you provided a link to, I can be a reseller if I buy 20 units. The website owner can help with setting up your own website as a reseller (for a fee, I believe). I can also have resellers from my site. And those new resellers can also have resellers as well.

I would be wary of this and will stay with ABB and YouTubeTV.

I wish you well with your choice.

Dave
Old 11-11-2020, 10:23 PM   #16
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
It looks like a pyramid scheme. If I go on the website you provided a link to, I can be a reseller if I buy 20 units. The website owner can help with setting up your own website as a reseller (for a fee, I believe). I can also have resellers from my site. And those new resellers can also have resellers as well.

I would be wary of this and will stay with ABB and YouTubeTV.

I wish you well with your choice.

Dave
Wow. I think you're exaggerating the intent of what I provided. I bought a subscription, it works perfectly for me and that's all that matters. As far as your 'pyramid scheme' theory it doesn't concern me at all. That's what I get for being an innocent person trying to pass on a great alternative to cable. I really think you're looking at it all wrong but that's your perspective. I don't need or have any intention of being a 'reseller'. I'm getting the product as promised and that's all that matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to shifthappens For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
webmaster

Thanked 3,723 Times in 823 Posts

I must say that I'm uncomfortable with this thread. It sure looks like an advertisement. If the OP wasn't a member for 4 years I might have removed it already.

There are some red flags here and I suspect this may be an offshore operation with some pirated content, like Kodi plugins. I could be wrong.

I tried to find the address of this company and it is no where to be found. I couldn't find any address on their website. That's very unusual for a legitimate business selling products and services. If you do a whois lookup of cablepassiptv.com they have cloaked their address and contact information. Again very unusual for a legitimate business. Who owns and runs this entity?

In the FAQ it says "you can just send a payment directly to me". Another red flag.

I do see many apparently satisfied users on social media posts but I would stay with more transparent and established services.

I'll let the discussion continue for now but may change the title. "Want to get rid of Cable forever?" is just too much like a spam message.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
granitebox (11-12-2020), Hillcountry (11-12-2020), ishoot308 (11-12-2020), Slickcraft (11-12-2020), upthesaukee (11-12-2020), Whimsey (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #18
shifthappens

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I must say that I'm uncomfortable with this thread. It sure looks like an advertisement. If the OP wasn't a member for 4 years I might have removed it already.

There are some red flags here and I suspect this may be an offshore operation with some pirated content, like Kodi plugins. I could be wrong.

I tried to find the address of this company and it is no where to be found. I couldn't find any address on their website. That's very unusual for a legitimate business selling products and services. If you do a whois lookup of cablepassiptv.com they have cloaked their address and contact information. Again very unusual for a legitimate business. Who owns and runs this entity?

In the FAQ it says "you can just send a payment directly to me". Another red flag.

I do see many apparently satisfied users on social media posts but I would stay with more transparent and established services.

I'll let the discussion continue for now but may change the title. "Want to get rid of Cable forever?" is just too much like a spam message.
You know what? Please remove this thread. I live here and thought I was passing on a great discovery but obviously the paranoia that's been expressed here has been totally been misguided. Sorry for doing something nice. I won't ever make another post here. This was NEVER intended to be BS and never was. What I expressed here was 100% the truth. I was just passing on my personal experience and I guess that was wrong.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #19
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
You know what? Please remove this thread. I live here and thought I was passing on a great discovery but obviously the paranoia that's been expressed here has been totally been misguided. Sorry for doing something nice. I won't ever make another post here. This was NEVER intended to be BS and never was. What I expressed here was 100% the truth. I was just passing on my personal experience and I guess that was wrong.
Relax will ya!....If you read the webmasters post he makes some pretty good points regarding this. No reason to take it so personal and pick up your pail to leave the sandbox...sheesh! It might be saving you some future headache as well...

Dan
Doobs41378 (11-12-2020), Hillcountry (11-12-2020), Jersey Bob (11-12-2020), upthesaukee (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
loony

Another red flag is they recommend you use a VPN if the content get blocked by your ISP. It's likely the content is not licensed.
Yet another red flag is that it uses Kodi. Kodi is a bit torrent service. A few years back I had Kodi in a fire stick with a couple of apps. In the beginning it was awesome. I could get any movie or TV show in 1080p for free. Over time the quality dropped to 480 and lower, and the content became more and limited. I finally gave up. I never got a VPN which may have been the reason. The apps were not very user friendly, so my guess is the $15 they charge is for the interface and guide and probably not the content
Old 11-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #21
Susie Cougar

Wink

Quote:
You should not be upset with the responses on this forum. You have only been using the service for a very short period of time and have had good luck with it so far.
Others have pointed out red flags that could be potential problems. You should take that as helpful advice. You may find yourself in a big mess before you know it. I would be grateful if I thought I had found something really good and then was told to be careful.
Closed Thread