Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Default I feel old now.

I bought a Pontoon this weekend after owning power boats previous to this one. As much as I would like to have a big Tri Toon with a big engine. I'm on Waukewan and I could only fit an 18' at my dock and the one I bought would only take a max engine of 75HP.
It goes a blistering 25MPH with me and my wife. I'm sure the more passengers I add will reduce the speed dramatically.
My kids are giving me a hard time but they don't come up enough so it's about me and my wife's enjoyment now.
I told them if they want to water ski they will have to rent their own boat.
I think I can still pull the grand kids around on a tube, I hope!

Last edited by Biggd; 08-07-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
rsmlp

Default feeling old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I bought a Pontoon this weekend after owning power boats previous to this one. As much as I would like to have a big Tri Toon with a big engine I'm on Waukewan and I could only fit an 18' at my dock and the one I bought would only take a max engine of 75HP.
It goes a blistering 25MPH with me and my wife. I'm sure the more passengers I add will reduce the speed dramatically.
My kids are giving me a hard time but they don't come up enough so it's about me and my wife's enjoyment now.
I know I'm going to catch crap because of this but the day I feel compelled to trade my 26' bowrider in for a toon is the day I may stop boating. We use a toon down in FL in a boat club and they're ok but it's a serious step down from my Four Winns.

My best analogy is the day I can't climb the hills on Long Island on my bike is the day I quit cycling. I will NOT get one of damn electric assist bikes!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-08-2019), VitaBene (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
I know I'm going to catch crap because of this but the day I feel compelled to trade my 26' bowrider in for a toon is the day I may stop boating. We use a toon down in FL in a boat club and they're ok but it's a serious step down from my Four Winns.

My best analogy is the day I can't climb the hills on Long Island on my bike is the day I quit cycling. I will NOT get one of damn electric assist bikes!
One of the things that got me to buy a Pontoon is I service my own toys. This past spring when I serviced my bow rider I was sore for 2 months from climbing in and out of the boat on the trailer and at 65 I had a tough time getting in and out of the engine area. I know I could just take it somewhere to be serviced but that's just not in me as an auto mechanic of 50 years.
At least the pontoon has a ladder right on the trailer that I can get in and out easily and the outboard motor can be accessed with out crawling around in a bilge.

Last edited by Biggd; 08-07-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
radioman

Default I feel old

BIGGD, In my opinion, you made a good decision. As a grandfather at 75, just returned from Sebago where we rented a similar rig and spent a week draging grandkids around with no difficulty, enjoy the new boat, may it serve you well!! And just remember that when new grandchildren show up, cribs do well on a pontoon!!

Last edited by radioman; 08-07-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: additional thought
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I don't put silly limits on age, masculinity, or any of that stuff. My only boats have been pontoons and kayaks, because they're the most versatile. Other than going straight from one place to another, all our friends with speedboats choose to go on our 'toon. That being said, a minivan isn't quite versatile enough for me to choose over my Jeeps/4Runners!

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Feeling old? Random thoughts

Early in retirement is the time to start hiring people to do things you used to do. Eventually, you will want your primary duty to be running the rocking chair while somebody else brings a fresh mint julep. I used to do all my own work, too, until I realized that everybody else was swimming and sunning while I was spending the weekend in the engine room or building a deck.
For the kids and skiing, buy a nice clean used jetski. You'll have fun, they'll have fun, and it can pull a skier without a huge investment.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Early in retirement is the time to start hiring people to do things you used to do. Eventually, you will want your primary duty to be running the rocking chair while somebody else brings a fresh mint julep. I used to do all my own work, too, until I realized that everybody else was swimming and sunning while I was spending the weekend in the engine room or building a deck.
For the kids and skiing, buy a nice clean used jetski. You'll have fun, they'll have fun, and it can pull a skier without a huge investment.
I do have a Jet ski for when the need for speed arises.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
BIGGD, In my opinion, you made a good decision. As a grandfather at 75, just returned from Sebago where we rented a similar rig and spent a week draging grandkids around with no difficulty, enjoy the new boat, may it serve you well!! And just remember that when new grandchildren show up, cribs do well on a pontoon!!
It's funny you mentioned Sebago, I bought this boat from a guy in Maine who had it at a slip on Sebago.
It's only a year old with under 50 hours, basically still brand new. He said it was too small for Sebago so he was going to buy a bigger boat.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
radioman

Default I feel old

Sebago is loaded with pontoon boats,perhaps because there is a factory right there in Napels.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #10
Hillcountry

Welcome to the “older than dirt toon club” we love ours but also love fishing...perhaps there will be a trade for a better fishing craft as time goes by.
Then again, maybe not as we do pretty well fishing from the toon!
(Thanks to Dan/ishoot308 and his fishing expertise)
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
thinkxingu

What factory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Sebago is loaded with pontoon boats,perhaps because there is a factory right there in Napels.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
radioman

Default I feel old

As you decend into Napels on 302 there is a massive building on the left that I was told was a pb factory. Regardless, Sabago is loaded with pbs
Old 08-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I don't put silly limits on age, masculinity, or any of that stuff. My only boats have been pontoons and kayaks, because they're the most versatile. Other than going straight from one place to another, all our friends with speedboats choose to go on our 'toon. That being said, a minivan isn't quite versatile enough for me to choose over my Jeeps/4Runners!

Enjoy!

I interestingly, I always use the pontoon/ minivan analogy when talking toons
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
Orion

Default Not too old

Yah, I would feel real old cruising in this with 500 HP hanging on back......
Attached Images

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-07-2019), BroadHopper (08-08-2019), ishoot308 (08-07-2019), Winnilifer (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
Cal Coon

Quote:
I bought a Pontoon this weekend after owning power boats previous to this one. As much as I would like to have a big Tri Toon with a big engine I'm on Waukewan and I could only fit an 18' at my dock and the one I bought would only take a max engine of 75HP.
Just wondering why you didn't consider a deck boat? I have a 23' cuddy cabin that I trailer, and I have days that I think about downsizing to a deck boat with an outboard for all the same reasons you mentioned. I was just looking at a 19' deck boat with a 115hp yamaha 4 stroke o/b. Just not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I'm starting to look for the right deal... I know toons are fast enough for water skiing and tubing these days, but I just prefer a fiberglass hull with toon seating when I decide to make my move...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #16
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Just wondering why you didn't consider a deck boat? I have a 23' cuddy cabin that I trailer, and I have days that I think about downsizing to a deck boat with an outboard for all the same reasons you mentioned. I was just looking at a 19' deck boat with a 115hp yamaha 4 stroke o/b. Just not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I'm starting to look for the right deal... I know toons are fast enough for water skiing and tubing these days, but I just prefer a fiberglass hull with toon seating when I decide to make my move...
I just like the easy access on and off as compared to a regular fiberglass boat esp when it's out of the water and I have to work on it. I have little grand kids, under 6, so it makes it much easier for them to enjoy.
My wife doesn't like to go fast in the boat anyway so it makes her happy that I can't go over 25MPH.
I'm thinking this is my last boat but you never know. I would get a bigger Tri Toon if I had a house on Winni but I love Waukewan. It's never crowded and it's a great lake for all water sports.
Like I said, I have a Jet Ski if the need for speed arises. I haven't tried pulling a skier with the Jet Ski yet but I have pulled a tube.
A buddy of mine bought a 21' Hurricane with a 150HP on it. I wasn't impressed, it rode a lot harder in rough water as opposed to my 19' V-hull bow rider.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
A buddy of mine bought a 21' Hurricane with a 150HP on it. I wasn't impressed, it rode a lot harder in rough water as opposed to my V-hull bow rider.
My experience exactly--lots of slap when we test drove a Hurricane. I've heard different brands may be better, though.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
My experience exactly--lots of slap when we test drove a Hurricane. I've heard different brands may be better, though.

Yeah, that is my concern. This 19' I was looking at is a Hurricane too. I have never been on any deck boat, but I would be VERY disappointed if it couldn't handle the weekend chop of Winnipesaukee. Maybe I will just keep my current boat. Been VERY happy with it, and really, the problem is the fact I could stand to lose a few lbs, not the boat!! I can still move around pretty good, but the frame feels it more and more with every passing year...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 08-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #19
Hillcountry

Quote:
Yeah, that is my concern. This 19' I was looking at is a Hurricane too. I have never been on any deck boat, but I would be VERY disappointed if it couldn't handle the weekend chop of Winnipesaukee. Maybe I will just keep my current boat. Been VERY happy with it, and really, the problem is the fact I could stand to lose a few lbs, not the boat!! I can still move around pretty good, but the frame feels it more and more with every passing year...
Before I bought our tritoon I rented a Hurricane deck boat out of Meredith Marina. Nicely appointed but did not handle the winni chop well at all.
The toon is a nice compromise of being capable of handling chop and having lots of comfort.
If I recall correctly the deck boat was a 19 as well with a 115 outboard.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #20
8gv

To everything a season...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:48 AM   #21
trfour

Default Everything used to be easy

I serviced my boats blindfolded. Now that I'm old and can't see, my CRS kicks in and I can't remember how I used to do it blindfolded.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #22
rsmlp

Default c'mon now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Yah, I would feel real old cruising in this with 500 HP hanging on back......
I suppose you can upgrade anything. This is clearly NOT the quintessential toon and I'm sure the price reflects it.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Oh the horror!

I am pushing the big 7-0. I'm still active physically, hiking, biking, skiing etc. But I don't have the stamina of a 20 yr old, and I need a day of rest after a full day of physical activities. So the grandkids (2 to 27) can get a bit intimidating!

I won't give up the Formula on 'pesaukee. It's a great boat on the big lake. I do have a 'toon on 'squam, the perfect craft for the smaller lake! Mooring restrict me to 20', but you can get a great 'toon for that length. Powered with a 115, the kids gets plenty of towing and skiing done! Yes! We waterski!

Problem is the grandkids wants to try surfing and the 'toon, no matter what cannot throw a big wave, but I was able to get the kids surfing behind the Formula if I have a full tank of gas! So no wake boat for me!

Perfect setup! We boat during the weekdays when the big lake is quiet, and 'toon on weekends on the small lake to avoid the horror show. I love it here!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I am pushing the big 7-0. I'm still active physically, hiking, biking, skiing etc.
If your still doing all that at 70, your doing dam well Broadhopper! Whats your secret?

Keep up the good work!

Dan
Old 08-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #25
codeman671

Quote:
I am pushing the big 7-0. I'm still active physically, hiking, biking, skiing etc. But I don't have the stamina of a 20 yr old, and I need a day of rest after a full day of physical activities. So the grandkids (2 to 27) can get a bit intimidating!

I won't give up the Formula on 'pesaukee. It's a great boat on the big lake. I do have a 'toon on 'squam, the perfect craft for the smaller lake! Mooring restrict me to 20', but you can get a great 'toon for that length. Powered with a 115, the kids gets plenty of towing and skiing done! Yes! We waterski!

Problem is the grandkids wants to try surfing and the 'toon, no matter what cannot throw a big wave, but I was able to get the kids surfing behind the Formula if I have a full tank of gas! So no wake boat for me!

Perfect setup! We boat during the weekdays when the big lake is quiet, and 'toon on weekends on the small lake to avoid the horror show. I love it here!
You never want to surf behind an outboard! Very dangerous.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #26
Biggd

Quote:

I wouldn't exactly call Squam a small lake, smaller than Winni though.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #27
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call Squam a small lake, smaller than Winni though.
'pesaukee and 'squam to quote. I think the " ' " stands for Winni, as in Winnisquam.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-08-2019), BroadHopper (08-10-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #28
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Just because you want a toon, doesn't mean your old, and it should carry a Minivan connotation....

For me it is coming down to factors of cost, and capacity....

I have a 18' Four Winns that I love, and despite what everyone tells me handles Winnipesaukee just fine... even on the weekends.... And I just love it, and it still runs great......

But, the kids are older, now they have girl friends, and as much as I hate to say it, I know that being a grand parent is right around the corner....

I don't like leaving people on the dock.... so its either look for a big bowrider, which I am afraid is just cost prohibitive....or think about keeping my current boat, for waterskiing, etc. and Getting a Pontoon for cruising.....

While I don't service the Four Winns myself, because crawling around in the bilge is a pain, I see no issues with doing the maintenance on an outboard again, which I did for many years, with my parents boat. So I am not worried about the extra maintenance costs.

A pontoon, will be nice and room, and have a decent capacity, even more so if I decided to splurge and go tri-toon.... but I haven't decided if I want to yet, given the fact I will not be giving up my sport boat........

No to decide, which brand I want, and just exactly how much I want to spend, finding used and new pontoons is quite easy.....
Old 08-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #29
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Just because you want a toon, doesn't mean your old, and it should carry a Minivan connotation....

For me it is coming down to factors of cost, and capacity....

I have a 18' Four Winns that I love, and despite what everyone tells me handles Winnipesaukee just fine... even on the weekends.... And I just love it, and it still runs great......

But, the kids are older, now they have girl friends, and as much as I hate to say it, I know that being a grand parent is right around the corner....

I don't like leaving people on the dock.... so its either look for a big bowrider, which I am afraid is just cost prohibitive....or think about keeping my current boat, for waterskiing, etc. and Getting a Pontoon for cruising.....

While I don't service the Four Winns myself, because crawling around in the bilge is a pain, I see no issues with doing the maintenance on an outboard again, which I did for many years, with my parents boat. So I am not worried about the extra maintenance costs.

A pontoon, will be nice and room, and have a decent capacity, even more so if I decided to splurge and go tri-toon.... but I haven't decided if I want to yet, given the fact I will not be giving up my sport boat........

No to decide, which brand I want, and just exactly how much I want to spend, finding used and new pontoons is quite easy.....
Most marinas that rent toons sell them at season’s end. Good time to get a deal on a boat with about 50-60 hours on the motor!
Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #30
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Most marinas that rent toons sell them at season’s end. Good time to get a deal on a boat with about 50-60 hours on the motor!
I have no problem buying "used", but for some reason when I "know" it's been a rental, (be it a boat, car, whatever...), I am skeptical. You know how "rentals" get treated...???
Old 08-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #31
Hillcountry

Quote:
I have no problem buying "used", but for some reason when I "know" it's been a rental, (be it a boat, car, whatever...), I am skeptical. You know how "rentals" get treated...???
That’s the only thing I’d be leery of as well but If I went that route I would “bargain” for a full warranty!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #32
sum-r breeze

Default Can I ever relate!!

Quote:
One of the things that got me to buy a Pontoon is I service my own toys. This past spring when I serviced my bow rider I was sore for 2 months from climbing in and out of the boat on the trailer and at 65 I had a tough time getting in and out of the engine area. I know I could just take it somewhere to be serviced but that's just not in me as an auto mechanic of 50 years.
At least the pontoon has a ladder right on the trailer that I can get in and out easily and the outboard motor can be accessed with out crawling around in a bilge.
I feel your pain (and you know why)
Biggd (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #33
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
I feel your pain (and you know why)
I have a few years on you. It doesn't get any easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
sum-r breeze (08-12-2019)