Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 10:18 AM   #1
ITD

Default Happy Easter!!

Happy Easter everyone!!!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
barndoor (04-01-2024), bigdog (03-31-2024), Biggd (03-31-2024), DRH (03-31-2024), ishoot308 (03-31-2024), Major (04-01-2024), TCC (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Happy Easter everyone!!!!
Happy Easter to you and yours!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
barndoor (04-01-2024), ITD (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 02:24 PM   #3
Mr. V

I enjoy Easter and Christmas but I have to wonder whether in this ever-increasingly politically correct world we live in here in the USA these two religious holidays will fall by the wayside due to their religious foundation?

Same with some wording in the pledge of allegiance: why should a non-believer swear allegiance to "one nation, under god" if he/she is an atheist?

I'm an atheist and while I don't care enough to challenge the current state of things I do believe 'twould be better to swear allegiance to "one nation, under law."

Just sayin;.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:13 PM   #4
LoveLakeLife

Happy Easter!

Christmas and Easter won’t be going anywhere, V, we will continue enjoy them for a long time to come. Politically correct nonsense only survives and gets perpetuated when demure people don’t stand up to it and laugh at it. I suppose the converse is true, also. Atheists can choose not to recite the Pledge of Allegiance as currently drafted but they won’t likely abandon the use of cash, on which appears the national motto.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
TCC (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 02:13 AM   #5
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Happy Easter! Christmas and Easter won’t be going anywhere, V, we will continue enjoy them for a long time to come. Politically correct nonsense only survives and gets perpetuated when demure people don’t stand up to it and laugh at it. I suppose the converse is true, also. Atheists can choose not to recite the Pledge of Allegiance as currently drafted but they won’t likely abandon the use of cash, on which appears the national motto.
I won't argue the point with you, other than to say the continued interjection of religion into our political and economic life seems anachronistic.

I mean, c'mon...what point is there in saying "In god we trust" on our currency?
Old 04-01-2024, 05:25 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Arrow ...... happy Easter to all the U.S.A.!

Happy Easter to everyone including all the Walmart employees in Plymouth NH who were working there yesterday on Easter because this Walmart was open on Easter which was a good surprise to me.

Hey, will the Walmart be closed, too, like the Market Basket? Big surprise, yes, the Walmart is open!

The nearby Plymouth Market Basket was closed for Easter but the Plymouth Walmart was open for Easter. So, three cheers for the Plymouth Walmart ....... hut-hut-hut ...... and Happy Easter to Plymouth Walmart workers for showing up to work and making it be open!
Old 04-01-2024, 07:20 AM   #7
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Happy Easter, everyone!

The biggest threat to achieving globalism is nationalism. The globalists are seeking to supplant our American value system with their Western European vision of utopia. American nationalism interferes with their globalists agenda. Look at the world around us, eliminating borders, eliminating religion, replacing family and community with government. The evidence is all around us.

The U.S. was created on primarily a Christian value system. We say Judea-Christian since the Christian faith is founded on Judean values and principles. (I like to say that the Jewish people are our big brothers in faith.) "In God We Trust" represents that our fate is in God's hands. I agree with Mr. V that in thirty years, if the globalists have it their way, the celebrations of select religious events, such as Easter, Christmas, Rosha Shana, Passover, etc., will have far less importance than they do now.

Anyway, other than being able to gripe about it online, there isn't much any of us can do. The will of the people has spoken.

Again, Happy Easter everyone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-01-2024), TCC (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:02 AM   #8
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I enjoy Easter and Christmas but I have to wonder whether in this ever-increasingly politically correct world we live in here in the USA these two religious holidays will fall by the wayside due to their religious foundation?

Same with some wording in the pledge of allegiance: why should a non-believer swear allegiance to "one nation, under god" if he/she is an atheist?

I'm an atheist and while I don't care enough to challenge the current state of things I do believe 'twould be better to swear allegiance to "one nation, under law."

Just sayin;.
Way too much money to be made for either holiday to go away.

“Under God” was added to the Pledge in 1954 by Congress as concern about communism increased.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,072 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs down

All the holidays have turned into just a money grab!
Old 04-02-2024, 08:11 AM   #10
ApS

Question Permit Me to Say...

Quote:
I enjoy Easter and Christmas but I have to wonder whether in this ever-increasingly politically correct world we live in here in the USA these two religious holidays will fall by the wayside due to their religious foundation? Same with some wording in the pledge of allegiance: why should a non-believer swear allegiance to "one nation, under god" if he/she is an atheist? I'm an atheist and while I don't care enough to challenge the current state of things I do believe 'twould be better to swear allegiance to "one nation, under law." Just sayin;.
Because hundreds of thousands of God-fearing American soldiers and sailors gave their lives to allow such rhetoric?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
DRH (04-02-2024), ghfromaltonbay (04-02-2024), Hillcountry (04-02-2024), ishoot308 (04-02-2024), Major (04-02-2024), Seaplane Pilot (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 08:50 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Because hundreds of thousands of God-fearing American soldiers and sailors gave their lives to allow such rhetoric?

Post of the year!

Dan
ApS (04-07-2024), Hillcountry (04-02-2024), Major (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 10:46 AM   #12
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Not all who fought and die believed in god, and they fought for their country, not their religion.

Keep religion out of politics.
Biggd (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 07:55 PM   #13
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Not all who fought and die believed in god, and they fought for their country, not their religion.

Keep religion out of politics.
During WWII, nearly all who fought believed in Christ or God. And I guarantee you, those that didn’t, believed once they were subject to the horrors of war.

I truly feel sorry for atheists, believing in nothing beyond themselves. To a man, the most unhappy people I know are atheists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2024, 08:40 PM   #14
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Remake of old movie

Wow! If they ever decide to do a remake of the movie “Grumpy Old Men”, we have the perfect character right here on the forum for one of the leads! Harrumph! Bah humbug!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-03-2024), WinterHarborGuy (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 10:08 PM   #15
John Mercier

Quote:

Just sayin;.
Under US folklore, the Pilgrims, which were mostly Puritans, came to the New World to escape taxes paid to the Church... they didn't believe in Christmas as it is not biblical and largely based on the RCC rendering Saturnalia into a less pagan holiday. By the way, we also don't actually celebrate Christmastime... which is the holiday. Most don't even know what Epiphany is, or its significance.

Also the Greatest Generation, and the ones prior to it, did not have even the original Pledge to say in school... that was added for the Boomers; and the ''under God" was added per Ike. The Puritans would have seen it as heresy, since only an allegiance to God was acceptable. Today JWs will not say the Pledge because of this belief.

I've even seen people state we were founded as a Judo-christian nation... but the Article of Confederation that founded the USA did not have anything specifically about Freedom of Religion. And the Freedom of Religion that we adhere to today was not the original. Jews and Catholics in NH could not vote nor hold public office - including being a public school teacher.

The restriction on taxes going to private schools was mostly an added amendment once the US Con 14th ratified and fear was that money would flow to the private Catholic schools that had arisen in the State.

Easter is a little more tricky. Our Sunday Sabbath wasn't really created until Constantine. Long after Jesus would have risen. Scholars believed that Easter was moved to Sunday (unsure of the actual day) because the gathering of the Mass would already be established. And it still contains a lot of pagan undertones... the eggs and the rabbit are ancient tokens of fertility.

Since both holidays are lot more commercial than religious... I doubt that they would ever truly go away. Many retailers will close on Christmas, but only because they do not feel that they would make enough revenue to cover expenses and see a profit. It is also the reason that ''Happy Holidays'' is used. The retailers wanted to extend the shopping season after we moved to a consumption-based economy... and the song ''Happy Holiday''; which was part of ''White Christmas'' became a popular Christmas song in the 50s because stores played it so much. From that we also get ''Black Friday'', and now ''Cyper Monday''... but as retailers compete, the virtue of Thanksgiving goes to the wayside and we start seeing Christmas earlier and earlier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-03-2024), Garcia (04-03-2024)
Closed Thread