Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default Cost for hiker rescue doubles!

Concord Monitor reports the cost of rescues by Fish and Game has nearly doubled this season as compared to last season! Fish and Game is considering Hiker Fees. Link to WMUR Channel 9 report.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default From The USAToday

This was in the USAToday on 9/22

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...escuefee_N.htm
Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
fatlazyless

It's probably pretty easy to twist an ankle and not be able to walk back down the trail to the starting point, and car parking lot.

Today at noon there must of been about 30 different hikers up on the summit of Mt Moosilauke, a 4802' mountain in the WMNF that overlooks Vermont. Hiking up the three mile long Beaver Brook trail it's all rocks, roots and erosion so takin a slip would be pretty easy.

Most all the 48 different 4000' mountains that make up the popular hiking spots are in the WMNF, which is federal property so how's the state gong to colllect any fee or tax on that?

According to an article in today's Concord Monitor, the state raises about $190,000/year with the one dollars fee charged to boat, rv and snowmo registrations.

Why not just raise the snowmos and rv's from one to ten dollars. Compared to the price of the machine that's pretty reasonable.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
It's probably pretty easy to twist an ankle and not be able to walk back down the trail to the starting point, and car parking lot.

Today at noon there must of been about 30 different hikers up on the summit of Mt Moosilauke, a 4802' mountain in the WMNF that overlooks Vermont. Hiking up the three mile long Beaver Brook trail it's all rocks, roots and erosion so takin a slip would be pretty easy.

Most all the 48 different 4000' mountains that make up the popular hiking spots are in the WMNF, which is federal property so how's the state gong to colllect any fee or tax on that?

According to an article in today's Concord Monitor, the state raises about $190,000/year with the one dollars fee charged to boat, rv and snowmo registrations.

Why not just raise the snowmos and rv's from one to ten dollars. Compared to the price of the machine that's pretty reasonable.
But why should boats/RV's and snowmo registrations pay for hikers? How about assessing a boot tax, or just collect a dollar at the entrance? Compared to the price of SUV's and hiking boots, seems pretty reasonable
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

In my book there are two views there is the one that if you fall into trouble with in the rules, meaning your on marked trails etc. and twist and ankle etc. then the cost of a rescue isn't usually that much, and no you shouldn't be responsible, accidents happen.

However when the hiker, skiier, snowmobilier, etc. uses poor judgement and gets hurt, by leaving marked area, wondering into the woods off a trail etc. then yes they should be responsible for the cost of their rescue.... other wise people never learn from stupidity, they have to be made to suffer some....
Old 09-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
In my book there are two views there is the one that if you fall into trouble with in the rules, meaning your on marked trails etc. and twist and ankle etc. then the cost of a rescue isn't usually that much, and no you shouldn't be responsible, accidents happen.

However when the hiker, skiier, snowmobilier, etc. uses poor judgement and gets hurt, by leaving marked area, wondering into the woods off a trail etc. then yes they should be responsible for the cost of their rescue.... other wise people never learn from stupidity, they have to be made to suffer some....
Excellent post, you took the words right out of my mouth.

FLL, I noticed that you did not mention Boat Registration fees to get an increase, maybe because that fleet of boats you have might cost a fair amount more. Do not worry keep coming up with ideas and we will pick up the tab!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
fatlazyless

.....what me worry....let someone else pay the tab....charge this hiker day ticket up to the Old Man of the Mountain....new snowmobiles coat about $9000. while a pair of hiking boots now costs just $35. at Wally World, so no doubt the wealthy snowmobilers will not be bothered by a ten dollar rescue fee tucked away into their registration.....they probably will not even notice. What they don't know will not cause any financial pain.

The increase from one dollar to ten dollars translates into an increase for NH F & G from $190,000 to 1,900,000 annually. Government agancies are just like people as they can always use more money.

Time to feel good about helping out the poor hikers who cannot afford a snowmobile and the trailer, tow vehicle, registration, gasoline, insurance and designer snowmo parka that automatically becomes a snowmobile necessity. Just $35 for decent hiking boots and no license required......just a bag of granola!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
brk-lnt

Quote:
so no doubt the wealthy snowmobilers will not be bothered by a ten dollar rescue fee tucked away into their registration.....they probably will not even notice. What they don't know will not cause any financial pain.
Let's lump all new fees on the waterfront owners. Those are the people with the REAL money, especially the ones who have owned their houses for a while and are better established...
Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
chipj29

Quote:
.....what me worry....let someone else pay the tab....charge this hiker day ticket up to the Old Man of the Mountain....new snowmobiles coat about $9000. while a pair of hiking boots now costs just $35. at Wally World, so no doubt the wealthy snowmobilers will not be bothered by a ten dollar rescue fee tucked away into their registration.....they probably will not even notice. What they don't know will not cause any financial pain.

The increase from one dollar to ten dollars translates into an increase for NH F & G from $190,000 to 1,900,000 annually. Government agancies are just like people as they can always use more money.

Time to feel good about helping out the poor hikers who cannot afford a snowmobile and the trailer, tow vehicle, registration, gasoline, insurance and designer snowmo parka that automatically becomes a snowmobile necessity. Just $35 for decent hiking boots and no license required......just a bag of granola!
I think I know who you voted for....
But anyway, why should someone who buys a snowmobile pay for someone else to hike?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
fatlazyless

[QUOTE=chipj29;107595.
But anyway, why should someone who buys a snowmobile pay for someone else to hike?[/QUOTE]

While it may not be too logical, that's the existing method used in NH for funding the NH F&G rescue fund. It is just one dollar per year per registration for a boat, rv, or snowmobile, and it adds up to about $190,000/year.

What's the mechanism for getting hikers to contribute to the state fund for finding lost hikers? The state could simply ask for hikers to make a donation by placing donation boxes at the Mt Washington summit, Tuckerman Ravine headwall, Mt Chocurua, Mt Osceola, Mt Adams, Mt Lafayette and other popular spots. A donation box way up on the summits could become an inspirational go-to place for burnt out city folks........ya never know. Like, each donation box could be dedicated to some poor slob who froze dead while lost hiking the January mountain in tennis sneakers.....followed by the message..."Don't let this happen to you & please donate!"

Or maybe, extend the new 9% campground tax to include the purchase of hiking boots. A 9% sales tax on hiking boots seems more like a fee than a tax because a hiking boot is pretty useless without a hiking trail to go get lost on. Probably the one dollar boat/rv/snowmo rescue fee could be eliminated with a 9% boot fee.

Think I'll go run for state rep on this highly important issue.........duh

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-28-2009 at 08:27 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
jmen24

FLL, I am glad to see that you mentioned boat in the most current list, think about that added cost and compare it to your hiking boots. An additional $9 per boat registration in your yard adds up to what? and dont forget about the proposed $10.00 canoe and kayak sticker.

So this does not sound like a "I am not paying for your activity" statement I am an avid hiker, I have hiked throughout NH, VT, ME, CO and volcanos in HI, I am sure many other people have lists that far exceed mine. I have a family member that is involved in Search and Rescue in Maine http://www.maineguiding.com/whoisdan.html , accidents happen and people get lost, and it costs thousands of dollars per paid person to perform a search. The state bills that "poor slob that froze to death' " family for the cost of the recovery, because he was not prepared for his hike. Remember, just because you are wearing hiking boots does not mean you are prepared for your hike.

I propose that the state adds a fee of $1.00 to every piece of hiking equipment sold at EMS, LL Bean, Walmart, etc. That way there the cost is spread to the activity not the Genre. That will even get the people that want to look like they perform these activities to pitch in.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote