Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default outta biz

Corner Deli-Gilford, Walter's Market-Laconia, Adams Marina-Winnisquam, Campton Falls Market-Campton, Freudenberg NOK-Laconia......have all closed up lately.

Freudenberg NOK-Laconia employed 130 making iso-elastic parts for cars & trucks, and the factory now has a 'for sale' sign at the entrance. They also closed up their Franklin plant and have kept the Ashland and Bristol plants open.

There must be about eight different vacant storefronts on Main St, Laconia with 'for rent' signs including the very large former space that was Bloom's variety. Interesting that both CVS and Walgreens chose to build new stand-alone stores very close by instead of just moving into the large vacant space formerly occupied by Blooms.

In Ashland, a real estate office and Grant's 5&10 moved out over two years ago and their retail Main St former space is still vacant.

The retail space in Meredith between City Sports and Hannaford's is still vacant since about Jamuary 1.

Any other local, outta biz businesses out there that I missed besides the Jackson Star in Meredith?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-23-2009 at 07:51 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Argie's Wife

Not to discredit your initial post, but do you really wish to track all the businesses that are closing or are vacant?

I'm sure that some of these are economy-related, but perhaps others were planned or inevitable in the evolution of a company. In other words, businesses open up and close all the time.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Nadia

Unhappy Scary

I hear what your saying AW but on the flip side I have to agree that it's kind of scary to see the emptiness in a typically bustling area. I always have an optimists perception, but last week during my nightly jog I couldn't help but notice all the empty retail space downtown Laconia. It's just plain eerie. Although I hope what your saying is exactly the case and nothing else!
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
fatlazyless

That's for sure that businesses open and close all the time. Nothing unusual about that but what is a little unusual is that Freudenberg NOK, Walter's Market and Adams Marina were in biz for twenty years or more and with Walter's having a 75-year plus history.

Another long time employer which closed on July 1 was the NH State Prison in Laconia which opened in about 1990. It's possible that the closing of the prison could have impacted Walter's Market. Maybe the prison guards were fans of those big Walter's roast beef sandwiches over the prison dining room's meals?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-22-2009 at 07:50 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
angela4design

Default New biz

How about NEW businesses?

Chow Pra Ya (Weirs Thai)
Jus Chillin Smoothie (Weirs)
Union Diner (Laconia)
The Village Perk (Meredith)
Pizza Station (Laconia)
Laconia Bike Works Cafe (Gilford)
Wine'ing Butcher II (Meredith)
Heat (Weirs Beach)

I could go on, but that's just a bit of my little side of the lake. Point is, this is the ebb and flow of the economy. IMHO
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
How about NEW businesses?

Chow Pra Ya (Weirs Thai)
Jus Chillin Smoothie (Weirs)
Union Diner (Laconia)
The Village Perk (Meredith)
Pizza Station (Laconia)
Laconia Bike Works Cafe (Gilford)
Wine'ing Butcher II (Meredith)
Heat (Weirs Beach)

I could go on, but that's just a bit of my little side of the lake. Point is, this is the ebb and flow of the economy. IMHO

Wow-there is a Jus Chillin Smoothie in Weir's Beach? Where is it? I was only aware of the one in Alton.

Thanks,

Nicole
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
angela4design

Default Jus Chillin

I saw advertisements that it was at the Pavilion. Perhaps I am mistaken that it the Alton Pavilion, and not the Weirs Pavilion.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
I saw advertisements that it was at the Pavilion. Perhaps I am mistaken that it the Alton Pavilion, and not the Weirs Pavilion.
Oh Yes- I have been to the one in Alton. I have not seen one anywhere in Weir's Beach.

Thanks
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
LongBay

Default The decay of Weirs and Laconia Center

Fatlazyness, you have some good points. I have come to the conclusion both the city and corporate planners (such as Walgreens and CVS) need to look at what other New England towns and companies are doing to preserve good architecture and replace eye sores with similar architecture. You don't have to look far to see good planning in action. Just go up to Merideth and see what has been done up there. Waterville Valley is another NH town well planned. It is a shame planners think bricks and cement is the way to go. Look what the mayor in Boston is trying to do. He wants city hall torn down and replaced with better architecture. Some day the city planners in Laconia will realize more pavement and cement is not the way to go and hopefully it won't be too late before they realize this. Look what the WOW trail organizers are trying to do...they want more pavement and chain link fences to lace our lake front shores so they resemble downtown Laconia. By the way, the upkeep of this added pavement and chain link fences will cost us tax payers more money to maintain. Instead of looking for Federal tax dollars going into building new infrastructure, these planners should look into getting Federal Tax dollars for preserving good architecture and fixing up what is rotting down in front of our us.

Some of the property owners down at the Weirs should be ashamed for letting what was once a nice resort area decay into nothing but some gaming arcades. If one goes back in time, you will find this area was the site of a historic hotel overlooking the lake. Why can't the city planners of Laconia do what Merideth has done and bring back good architecture to the Weirs?
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Pineedles

Default Decay?

Personally, I kinda like the Honky Tonk atmosphere of the Weirs. I don't think it has changed much in the 40+ years I've been going there. Others will probably chime in here saying its been the same even longer than that. Meredith is nice, but I feel as if I have to put a sport jacket on when I'm there.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
colt17

Default Jus Chillen

My wife and i stoped in for a smoothy a few weeks ago on a sat afternoon and it was locked up looked like they were closed up for good. Anyone know whats up?
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Lakegeezer

Default Corner Deli Auction

You can buy the remains of the Corner Deli in Gilford at auction prices THIS THURSDAY. See the link at the North Country Auctions for the items on the block.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Bizer

On a related note, I drove down Paugus Bay on Tuesday. There is no activity at the old Burger King and there is a sign, "Inquiries" and a phone number. It's been a year and one half since BK moved out. I assume the owner is asking for exorbitant rent.

Just up the street, the Dairy Queen has been torn down and there is a new building under construction. There were no indications as to whether the new building was another DQ or something else.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
ironhorsetim

Yes it's still going to be a DQ "new and improved" with an(Orange Julius) don't know the correct spelling

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway

Last edited by ironhorsetim; 09-24-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt17 View Post
My wife and i stoped in for a smoothy a few weeks ago on a sat afternoon and it was locked up looked like they were closed up for good. Anyone know whats up?
I can't tell you if it's coming back next year but the owner told us at the opening that it was providing employment for his college age kids for the summer. Perhaps it is like Sawyers and Pops and rolls up the sidewalk when the help goes back to school.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
shoppes on the bay

Default alton bay stores

i am pretty sure that jus chillen smoothies will be back open in the spring - there is also a new cigar store in the pavilion and in our shoppes on the bay building facet jewelers and puppet patters are both staying open as is the spa in the front room - so there are businesses on the lake that are trying to be more than summer only enterprises - if they carry the right products and get the support of the locals then you will see the local economy take a turn for the best!
shoppes on the bay is offline   Reply With Quote