Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Alton Bay

Default Wolfeboro Inn?

I never seen to get over to Wolfeboro these days but am curious as to the status of the Wolfeboro Inn? I had a well earned mug on the ceiling and an wondering if they will still have those mugs around. I kissed the moose!!
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
I never seen to get over to Wolfeboro these days but am curious as to the status of the Wolfeboro Inn? I had a well earned mug on the ceiling and an wondering if they will still have those mugs around. I kissed the moose!!
Alton Bay:

The Wolfeboro Inn is undergoing major renovations. A new group bought the inn and they have had it closed since 1/1/09. It is set to open at the end of May from what I hear. They will have spent $4MM by the time they are done. To give you an idea of the changes, I understand the new bar in Wolfe's tavern will be situated where the bathrooms were. They also hired a new chef with lots of experience. I have heard that the mugs/moose will still be in place.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

We just went by today and it looks like there is still a lot to do if they are going to open the end of May. Maybe they have concentrated on the inside and that is almost done and then will just finish the outside. You don't see a lot of change on the outside so far.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
CL 240 LS

Default Opening Soon

The moose will be back!

Citizen report:
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/CITBUSINESS
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CL 240 LS For This Useful Post:
Smitty1 (04-21-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
beaner

OK, let me see if I've got this right....they're spending millions on renovations, but they're leaving that utility pole right smack in the middle of the Main Street entrance?! Seriously, I drove by today and noticed that they appear to be "dressing it up" by laying brick around it.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
ApS

Red face "Dodging" Patrons

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
"...You don't see a lot of change on the outside so far..."
I dunno. There's a lo-o-o-n-g ramp leading west to the parking area—perhaps for wheelchair access?

The south-side outdoor dining area with its tables and umbrellas—is gone!

I think I know why many large boulders have been bulldozed to replace the former outdoor dining porch—which abutted North Main Street.

You'd have to compare today's modifications with this photo—taken by member Keith two years ago.

(Try to ignore the truck that did the modifications to the north side!)
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
OK, let me see if I've got this right....they're spending millions on renovations, but they're leaving that utility pole right smack in the middle of the Main Street entrance?! Seriously, I drove by today and noticed that they appear to be "dressing it up" by laying brick around it.
They moved the entrance to the side of the building. The Main Street entrance will be a fire exit. Also, some day the town will put the Main Street utilities underground. That was more of a priority a few years back before all the funding shortfalls. It will happen someday.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I dunno. There's a lo-o-o-n-g ramp leading west to the parking area—perhaps for wheelchair access?

The south-side outdoor dining area with its tables and umbrellas—is gone!

I think I know why many large boulders have been bulldozed to replace the former outdoor dining porch—which abutted North Main Street.

You'd have to compare today's modifications with this photo—taken by member Keith two years ago.

(Try to ignore the truck that did the modifications to the north side!)
Actually I meant changes to the BUILDING APS. The building itself in the front does not look all that different, and since my post I have learned that most of the work was done on the inside. In the last two weeks, the "landscaping" has changed, as you said.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
secondcurve

Today was opening day at the Wolfeboro Inn. Did anyone stop in for lunch?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

My wife, my daughter, and my granddaughter went with me to Wolfeboro Inn for the evening meal opening night. My overall impression: great job.

Yes, there were a few minor wrinkles to smooth out, but all in all, compared to the recent past, the food was delicious, and service was friendly and attentive, and entire place was CLEAN.

I think they will be successful once they iron out a few opening day wrinkles.

It is good to see them "back".
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
secondcurve

I also visited the Wolfeboro Inn this weekend. My wife and I went to dinner with my brother and his wife on Sunday evening (Day Four). I rate the over all experience an 8.3 on a scale of 1 to 10. We purposely arrived early at 5:30 to avoid the crowds, although even by the time we left at 7:15 it was not overly busy.

The layout of the new restaurant is excellent as it pulls together the Inn and the Tavern. Seating is much more extensive and the restaurant now flows into the area where the old Sunday Brunch was served. In all my years of visiting the Tavern, I never went anywhere near the front desk, but I did on Sunday as the bathrooms are now at the back of the restaurant at the end of a long hallway that leads to the front desk. The new bar is essentially in the same spot as the old bar, but it is larger and its design is cleaner. High top tables surround the bar creating an inviting atmosphere. There is also a nice porch at the back of the restaurant facing the Lake and the 1812 bar has been spruced up, although it wasn't open (When will this bar ever be open if it isn't open on Memorial Day Weekend?). Overall rating for the new restaurant design is a 9, on a scale of 1-10.

The food was also very good. I had the Seafood Linguine and it was fresh and the portion ample. My brother ordered the tavern steak tips, but they were out. How does this happen at 5:30 on opening weekend when it isn't all that busy? My wife had the lamb chops, my brother wound up with the scallops and my sister in law had a burger. Everyone finished their meals and was satisfied. Dinner prices are definitely higher than before, but the quality of the meals are also much better. There is still a good selection of sandwiches and burgers so the Tavern still offers affordable, casual dining. Overall rating for the food was 8.5 on a scale of 1-10.

The service was spotty and I am being kind describing it this way. Upon arrival at the front door it was quite and we were met by three frazzled employees who were discussing who wound handle what table. After listening to this nonsense for several minutes we were finally greeted. It drives me nuts when service employees don't take the time to acknowledge new customers immediately, even if they can't get to them for a few minutes. After being greeted we were allowed to select a table anywhere in the restaurant. Finally seated, we were informed that there was a shortage of menus. How can this be, the restaurant was only half full? After 10-minutes we were given three menus to share amongst the four of us. Our waitress was pleasant, but definitely new at this game, although she was by no means a spring chicken. She tried her best, but service was quite slow and we had to ask for another round of drinks after our first round sat empty for quite sometime. Meals also took forever to come. The bartender also appeared new to the game and had little in the way of personality. What happened to Catherine who always was so pleasant behind the bar? Finally, General Wolfe and his wife were also a big disappointment. The Tavern hired two period actors who I assume were there to entertain the guests. They acted like two seventh graders at their first dance. They lurched between hanging at the bar and saying hello to the diners. I would have stationed them at the front door to greet the diners, if I hired them at all. Service was a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10 and I'm being kind. Much room for improvement in this area.

Overall it was a nice experience and this restaurant is head and shoulders above where it was previously positioned. It now competes with the likes of the Woodshed, Canoe and Church Landing. I was somewhat surprised at how inexperienced the dining staff was, but I'll write that off to opening weekend kinks. I'll be back. You should give it a try, too.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Dog's Ear

Default Wolfeboro Inn

Five of us went to breakfast at the Inn on Monday. The service was excellent and the food delicious. What a nice change! After many years of frequenting the Tavern, last year we didn't return because of poor service and food. The renovations are really nice and the food was hot and delicious. We will definitely be going back many times this summer. We were even given a tour of the newly renovated rooms in the Inn. All very nice.
Dog's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
Martha Marlee

Default Hated it

A group of 11 of us went and were dissappointed. We miss the sports type feel of the lower bar..thats now just a small side bar w/ 1 TV. They put 2 other TV in the small rooms around the corner from the bigger bar...maybe I just don't like change but HATED IT..plus they over charged my friends card 75 BUCKS! Food was the same..service the same. I'm sure will go back but I already miss the old place.
Martha Marlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
jack1706

Default Wolfeboto Inn

Well, we just got home from dinner at the new Wolfeboro Inn.
Big disapointment.. waited an hour for food, dried out... not correct order & service was not good either... kitchen issues... they said.

we won't go there to eat. maybe a beer at the bar... but not impressed at all.

I'm going back to The Restaurant, food is great, fresh & great service !!!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
Bluebell

Default Wolfeboro Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1706 View Post
Well, we just got home from dinner at the new Wolfeboro Inn.
Big disapointment.. waited an hour for food, dried out... not correct order & service was not good either... kitchen issues... they said.

we won't go there to eat. maybe a beer at the bar... but not impressed at all.
Awww, come on, they just opened up last week. I'd wait and give them another try.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
tis

I know a group of 6 who went there. They waited for them to decide how and when to seat them and then said the service was terrible, the food was overcooked, 2 meals were cold and one person didn't get their meal until after the others had eaten. They had two children and asked repeated for the children's meals to come out as soon as done but they didn't bring them out. One member finally got so upset he went to see manager. I guess the manager wasn't there but someone came out and ended up giving them the meal. I just hope this is because they are new. No one seems happy with the service. I think they will get it right.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #17
jack1706

Default Wolfeboro Inn

Oh, i'm sure we will go back there... we always did and always will, it's one of those things... where else to go? close by , that is... We don't want to travel too far after drinks and eats , etc.
The manager had apologizes to us over & over.. but if he couldn't correct it who could... every table there that nite was complaining.. I watched as people had to walk up to the bar to refill their beverages themselves.
Tried out the newlyopened The Restaurant though and didn't experience anything like that. food was excellent, quick & quality was there.
I hope they do improve the kitchen at the Inn.. it must have been the chef's nite off !!
We will try again though... Good luck to them............
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
burnsies

Default strike one

We went for dinner (early) this past Sunday.
No line...we were optimistic.
We then learned there was a 30 min wait. The hostess stated the kitchen was backed up and there wasnt enough help. YIKES. There were maybe 10 people total in the place having dinner.
We left....hope they get it together by summer.
I really do miss the pubby new england atmosphere though. Have been going there for over 30 years.
burnsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
secondcurve

There definitely have been service issues, but this restaurant holds great promise given what has been done to the space. Further, I found the food to be of excellent quality. I do find it odd that in these times of high unemployment the restaurant isn't staffed with quality help. Maybe management spent so much on the renovation that they need to cut back on the staff? I still think eventually the service component will be corrected.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
The Big Kahuna

Default Hope it gets better

I went there for Lunch last Saturday, there was 6 in our party. It was day two that they were open. We got seated right away, but then had to wait at least 20 minutes before a wait person came over to our table. There was some confusion on who was going to take care of us. We ordered and waited for our drinks which eventually had to be made by he hostest who admitted to not having to make a drink in a long time and this was her first attempt at the drink my wife was having. Not exactly what we wanted to hear. After all the drinks came, we waiting a long time for food to come out, everyone got a meal except me. It seems there was a mix up with my order and it was not put in. After everyone was finished my food came out, I had the French Dip. We all agreed the food was good and the place has potential, they need to get a couple of good bartenders and waitresses because the one we had was terrible, that is the biggest problem with the place the people they have working there. I seems with this economy they could find better help than they currently have.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #21
danjulia

Thumbs down Also disappointed...

Tried to eat at Wolfeboro Inn on Saturday night. We were originally told it would be a wait of 45 minutes for our party of 4 - that was ok. So, we walked around the property for a bit, checked out the beach etc. After about 30 minutes, we checked in again with the hostess and then went to wait on the outside deck (it was very stuffy inside). Outside, a waitress asked if we wanted drinks and we asked if we could order off the menu as we saw other people finishing up food and there was a table available. She said that we could "if the kitchen was not closed" as it was at the time. We went back up to the hostess who then admitted that she had no idea how long our wait would be as they were only seating one table at a time to let the kitchen catch up (even though there were now numerous empty tables!!!).

We gave up...walked out...had a nice quick meal on the deck at Jo Greens (second time there and consistently good food).

Very disappointing start for Wolfeboro Inn!! The hostess should have been honest from the start about the kitchen having issues...
danjulia is offline   Reply With Quote