Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
AKADQ

Thumbs up China Garden

China Garden is one of my favorite restaurants to get chinese food. I was surprised not to see anything on the forum about this restaurant as it has been around for decades. Don Chin and his family own & operate this successful business that I believe was started by his father when I was a kid growing up in the early 70's..Last I knew his father still prepares & cooks his traditional & popular dishes.
I am writing this thread because I had chinese food last evening at another restaurant as it was just ok as I would compare it to chinese food at the mall.
China Garden has always been consistant as I have never been disappointed with the food or the quality as well as service.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Old Hubbard Rd

Default China Garden

Where is it located?
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Chickie

Default Best Chinese Food Around

I certainly second that AKADQ! When it comes to Chinese food, no other in the area can compare. I've tried them all and China Gardens gets my vote without hesitation. It is on Route 3 just past the Belknap Mall and has been in the same location for years. Not a large, fancy restaurant but it has stood the test of time.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

It has always been our favorite.....nice clean kitchen too.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
angela4design

Default Yup, ditto!

I love China Garden, too! I usually end up getting 'take out' on the way home, even though it's out of the way. My favorite is the boneless spare ribs.

Has anyone tried the China Bistro (formerly Oriental Gardens, by the Margate)? Looks like they really improved the aesthetic there, but I want to hear good things before I go. "O.G.'s" reputation still has me wary, even though it has ZERO to do with the new place.

Also, I like the Thai restaurant beside Laconia High School. Authentic thai, like the coconut soup, Tom Kha Gai. yummy
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
WinnDixie

Default The test of time.

Well, I have to post my two cents' worth, here, too. I agree with the reviews of China Garden. As the first person said, it was there when he /she was a kid in the 70's. I used to go there a lot with friends and family back then, when it was a very small place. It definitely didn't have much ambience then, but the food was ALWAYS good. It had the best won-ton soup ever! Just think, we're talking over thirty years, and it always had a reputation for good food. That is saying something! We try to go at least once when we visit. Great place.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
The Big Kahuna

Default Oriental Gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
Has anyone tried the China Bistro (formerly Oriental Gardens, by the Margate)? Looks like they really improved the aesthetic there, but I want to hear good things before I go. "O.G.'s" reputation still has me wary, even though it has ZERO to do with the new place.
I would not let my dog eat at that place, I eat there twice. Once at the buffet, nothing was fresh and tasted bad. I sore I would never eat there again, but one Thanksgiving while I was up at the lake doing some final constrution work on my house, before we could close, I worked so late in the day nothing else was open so we had to go there. Best dog food I have ever eaten, just a little better than the dog food I actually ate one time. As far as people food goes, it is VERY BAD!

FYI, I love the China Garden as well, great traditional cantonese style.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Waterbaby

Red face OK, I'm Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
I would not let my dog eat at that place, I eat there twice. Once at the buffet, nothing was fresh and tasted bad. I sore I would never eat there again, but one Thanksgiving while I was up at the lake doing some final constrution work on my house, before we could close, I worked so late in the day nothing else was open so we had to go there. Best dog food I have ever eaten, just a little better than the dog food I actually ate one time. As far as people food goes, it is VERY BAD!

FYI, I love the China Garden as well, great traditional cantonese style.
I thought, from the original post on this thread, that OG is gone and in it's place is a new restaurant, China Bistro? So, are you talking about OG food or China Bistro food? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
ironhorsetim

Default og= china bistro

still the same owner, if that helps Lee or Li or Lea however it's spelled

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (09-27-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
Where is it located?
We have to check it out
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
pm203

China Bistro has a new chef and is by far the best Chinese food in the area. Since the renovations, and the new chef, we have eaten there numerous times and the food has consistantly been top notch. I am extemely fussy and cannot eat most Chinese food due to poor quality. Try China Bistro, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. They are the new game in town.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote