Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
66WINN

Default Canoe

If you are going to charge Capital Grill prices, you can't serve me bread-in-a-bag like McDonalds!!!
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66WINN View Post
If you are going to charge Capital Grill prices, you can't serve me bread-in-a-bag like McDonalds!!!
I have never had a bad meal @ Canoe, and service has always been perfect. Prices are also somewhere between one third to one half of Capital Grille, so they are actually quite reasonable for what you receive.

Maybe you can elaborate a bit - did the 'bread in a bag' insult you in some way? You don't mention the meal itself, so I am guessing food was fine but the bread was bad enough to make you leave a negative review that calls out nothing specifically?

Also, on the few occasions I have gone I have never received 'bread in a bag' from McDonalds, maybe FLL can correct me.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
fpartri497

Quote:
I thought that was unique way to serve bread i liked It

Irrigation Guy (07-21-2013), lunch lady (08-03-2013), Mooseyme (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
LuvLake

I went with my 2 well behaved children who were 11 and 9 last summer and they would only seat us in the downstairs bar-type area because we were with kids. The food was good but I did not like being exiled when we go out for a nice dinner. Not a good way to treat customers in a family friendly resort area. I have not gone back.
LuvLake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuvLake For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (08-01-2013), Resident 2B (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLake View Post
I went with my 2 well behaved children who were 11 and 9 last summer and they would only seat us in the downstairs bar-type area because we were with kids. The food was good but I did not like being exiled when we go out for a nice dinner. Not a good way to treat customers in a family friendly resort area. I have not gone back.
LuvLake, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for your post and please join in whenever it is possible.

LuvLake (08-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
jack1706

Default Don't want kids

We all are well aware of the policy at canoe with children.

Same thing happens to us... Well behaved kids are really treated unfairly!

We finally left the last time as they made us wait 30 minutes in the hall. They

discourage bringing them back. Very offended more than once!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Resident 2B

Quote:
Same happened to us more than 10 years ago. Had to sit in the bar at a table designed for drinks with a party of six. Two intoxicated, loud men where using "colorful language" six feet away from my kids. I complained about it in a quiet and nice way and was told "if we did not like it here, we could leave." That was it for us. The two drunks were much louder than any kid could ever be and their language was vulgar. They kept serving them drinks.

I refuse to set foot in the place or to spend any money at any of his other places. I am sure they do not miss us and we certainly do not miss them. To keep going back to get treated the same poor way made no sense to us. The kids are all grown now, for the most part have professional careers going and none of us go to O's, Canoe or his stand at The Winni Playhouse.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (08-09-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Same happened to us more than 10 years ago. Had to sit in the bar at a table designed for drinks with a party of six. Two intoxicated, loud men where using "colorful language" six feet away from my kids. I complained about it in a quiet and nice way and was told "if we did not like it here, we could leave." That was it for us. The two drunks were much louder than any kid could ever be and their language was vulgar. They kept serving them drinks.

I refuse to set foot in the place or to spend any money at any of his other places. I am sure they do not miss us and we certainly do not miss them. To keep going back to get treated the same poor way made no sense to us. The kids are all grown now, for the most part have professional careers going and none of us go to O's, Canoe or his stand at The Winni Playhouse.

R2B
Sorry, but I've had very expensive dinners ruined by unruly children and parents who ignored them. Why is it that some parents seem to think the world should bow to them just because they procreated? Don't know how many times I've nearly been mowed down by mothers pushing strollers, and I've had to run interference in front of my legally blind mother so ignorant stroller pushers didn't run her over.

Have you ever confronted parents who had no control over their kids? Blame them, not those of use who choose to enjoy our meals out without the noise of irksome brats and their clueless parents.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Guiness

Default Great dinner and service

Enjoyed a great dinner and service with two kids. Could not have been treated better. Not sure of the circumstances but I have never had a bad experience. That said I do avoid busy nights at all the local restaurants.
Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Sorry, but I've had very expensive dinners ruined by unruly children and parents who ignored them. Why is it that some parents seem to think the world should bow to them just because they procreated? Don't know how many times I've nearly been mowed down by mothers pushing strollers, and I've had to run interference in front of my legally blind mother so ignorant stroller pushers didn't run her over.

Have you ever confronted parents who had no control over their kids? Blame them, not those of use who choose to enjoy our meals out without the noise of irksome brats and their clueless parents.
I understand and agree that too many kids are out of control and that too many parents do nothing to correct the situation. I have spoken up and asked parents to control their unruly childern a few times. Worse are the unruly adults. I asure you, this was not the case in my situation. At the time my youngest was 8 and the oldest was 18, the other two were early to mid teens. The boys had shirts with collars and the girl was dressed up as well.

At the time, Canoe had better solutions than to place a family of six at a two foot diameter raised cocktail table right next to the bar with adults who were out-of-control. We made and they accepted reservations for dinner for a party of six. Never a question about the age of the people in the group. That was not a place for a dinner for six, especially at Canoe prices. The treatment we got was off-the-chart poor.

My opinion is eating establishments should ask unruly groups to leave. Makes no difference if the unruly people are kids or adults. If they are making a disturbance, they should be asked to leave. It is also my opinion that giving poor treatment to a group just because it has kids, is a great reason to never spend a penny with that establishment again. If you are going to have such a policy, at the very least it should be explained when the reservation is accepted, so people can make an informed decision.

R2B
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Chaselady

Quote:
Did they actually say they were putting you there because you had children?
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
LuvLake

Yes. When they started downstairs, we asked if we could be seated at an open table in the nicer room and were told that all parties with children were to be seated downstairs. I expressed my surprise, but did not want to be rude to the hostess. She felt bad but said it was just their policy and she could not do anything.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
RailroadJoe

No matter how you look at it. It is still discrimination. Nice people. Leave me out of there.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
mas1992bc

Hi all, I am relatively new to the forum. Enjoy reading it. My wife and I went to canoe last week for the first time. We liked it a lot. I did think the 'bread in a bag' was a little weird, but it think it is just 'their thing'. Food and service was great. We did sit in the 'adult section' upstairs, but I talked to the waitress and she said that sometimes kids would be allowed to sit up there if they were not unruly. Not sure how they would make that determination as someone walks in the door. The policy is an interesting idea, but can only lead to upsetting families with well behaved 10 and 11 year olds. So, although we liked it there, I probably would be posting a different opinion if I showed up with my 12 year old and they made us go downstairs, or made us wait longer because we couldn't sit in the 'adult' section.
mas1992bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
jack1706

The room to the left as you enter, " is off limits to any children" period.

they will tell you this up front. Good, bad or whatever..

No children, so you must wait in the hall until they have a table for you and

any children you are bringing to eat there. Mind you that they have

A Children's menu too!
Now I am the first one to compliment parents wherever I am ,on their

Childrens good behavior.

Their food is great, service so, so... but family's need to be together and it

is a terrible feeling to be so slighted ! I think they should be ashamed!!

This has been like this for years.
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
Billy Bob

Anyone that thinks the food and or service at Canoe is fantastic should really try to get out more. Way overrated!
Apparently the only way they prefer to serve children is medium rare.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
fugitivewife (08-05-2013), Redwing (08-08-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #17
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Anyone that thinks the food and or service at Canoe is fantastic should really try to get out more. Way overrated!
Apparently the only way they prefer to serve children is medium rare.
I couldn't agree more. I reside near Canoe, but rarely go. I have never been impressed!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
fugitivewife (08-05-2013), Redwing (08-08-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
JanN

Default Last dinner at Canoe

Heartily agree with the comment that there are so many better places to go in the Lakes Region. My husband and I went a couple of weeks ago on our vacation with a group of 10-not our choice, but others wanted to go there. Seated downstairs--our group had 2 well-behaved pre-teens, but we were near several noisy groups with young, not so well-behaved children. Thought they had stopped serving the bread-in-a-bag as we didn't get any. Food and service were very average. We found the same a couple of years ago when we went with the same group.

After two other wonderful evenings during this vacation, at The Corner House and Lavinia's--absolutely no comparison!! I know it has lots of fans and always seems to be busy when we drive by, but we both said we would not go back to Canoe again.
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JanN For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (08-04-2013), chasedawg (08-05-2013), RailroadJoe (08-04-2013), Redwing (08-08-2013), Resident 2B (08-04-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
jeffk

Default What is the problem?

I'm not sure why it is a bad thing for a restaurant to cater to an adult audience? They probably should make it clear when they take reservations that families with children will be seated in the lower area. If you don't like it, don't go there.

As to whether children are "well behaved", all parents seem to think their little darlings are "well behaved". Can you imagine a restaurant trying to sort out the naughty or nice children? Yipes! (This may be one reason Santa lives at the North Pole, far away from angry parents) As one person stated, how could you possibly know until well into the meal. Then if they are NOT well behaved are you going to banish the group to downstairs? OMG There would be restaurant rage.

If you want a to eat in an adult atmosphere, get a sitter and enjoy your night out. If the kids must be with you, go to one of the numerous family venues around the lake.

Having said all that, I rarely eat at Canoe. The meals are mostly fine but quite pricey, IMO.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (08-06-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
NoBozo

Default Sign In the Restaurant Lobby...

Misbehaved Children will removed from their parents custody.. and SOLD as Slaves. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I'm not sure why it is a bad thing for a restaurant to cater to an adult audience? They probably should make it clear when they take reservations that families with children will be seated in the lower area. If you don't like it, don't go there.

As to whether children are "well behaved", all parents seem to think their little darlings are "well behaved". Can you imagine a restaurant trying to sort out the naughty or nice children? Yipes! (This may be one reason Santa lives at the North Pole, far away from angry parents) As one person stated, how could you possibly know until well into the meal. Then if they are NOT well behaved are you going to banish the group to downstairs? OMG There would be restaurant rage.

If you want a to eat in an adult atmosphere, get a sitter and enjoy your night out. If the kids must be with you, go to one of the numerous family venues around the lake.

Having said all that, I rarely eat at Canoe. The meals are mostly fine but quite pricey, IMO.
I would have had no problem with clear feedback at the time the reservation was/is made. Have them clearly state 'if you come with children you can expect second class treatment at the same first class pricing, whenever we happen to be busy. Otherwise, you are all set' That is what it is and if that is the way they want to run their restaurants, please just man up and tell it like it is. We would have told them to shove it in a second if we were told how it would be. There are many better places to eat at, that is for sure.

To show up a bit before the accepted dinner reservation, having to wait a long time, more than 30 minutes past the reservation time, then getting a raised cocktail table for a party of three adults and three children, beside a bar with loud, foul-language-spurring-adults is completely unacceptable to any retional person. That is what we got and then they told us "if we did not like it we could leave". That is what we did and that is why I will never drop this. The public has to know what they are in for. Buyer beware!

Canoe was, and maybe still is, making judgments on how well the children might be behaved based on how busy they are. Weeknights we were good, weekends we were bad. Simple! If they were not busy, your kids were fine, if busy, they do not really need you. Clear message then and I guess still the way today.

This was a long time ago for me, but the memories do not get erased. The more I read about them still having this policy, the more upset I get.

Our last night at Canoe was clearly the worse dining experience I have ever been involved in, in all of my now 65 years of life. As I said, many better places were families will be welcomed and treated with respect.

R2B
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #22
Newbiesaukee

Quite frankly, I have never seen this " stealth" policy of discrimination against children in any restaurant,anywhere. The food at Canoe is pretty good,the service is usually OK, but the attitude seems to be that they are doing you a favor by serving you. This is regardless of the policy on children.

Although I am as annoyed by out of control children as anyone; loud, obnoxious adults are just as annoying and harder to screen by arbitrary exclusion policies

Well-run restaurants can manage inappropriate behavior on a case-by-case basis without arbitrary exclusion policies.

This is a decent restaurant in a resort area which includes families. Their policy on children, if it is as stated by others on the forum( and not refuted by the restaurant ) makes no sense to me.

Catering to an adult clientele is one thing, excluding all children is quite another.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (08-06-2013), Resident 2B (08-05-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #23
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Completely Disagree

My family and I dine at Canoe 4-5 times a year all year round and we have been their when it was packed and when it was light. We have two children and always bring them along (and sometimes we bring nieces and nephews) we do understand the there is ONE area in the dining room that children are not permitted which is I think a good policy, the rest of the dining area's are completely acessable to children. Our service has alway been good to excellent and we have never felt or experienced subpar service because we had children, in fact the servers are usually very accomidating to them. This includes last Saturday we we had an extremely nice server downstairs near the bar and the meal was excellent. We love Canoe and will continue to dine there.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
canoe (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #24
jrc

If you swap the word smokers for children, you could have this exact conversation fifteen years ago.

It's funny how this restaurant sticks the kids in the bar. I remember a time when a bar was the adult area and you went there to get away from kids in the dining room.

Do they have a special seating area for other people they prejudge to be annoying based solely on their group?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #25
chef2b98

We were at canoe last night with our children and had a very good experience. We were seated on the porch, not a bad place, great view, service was good and food better, clearly a busy night. After reading the reviews about policy on children we asked. There is clearly a sign stating that they reserve one of there dining rooms for adults only, ok did not see an issue with that, looking around there seemed to be a few rooms to eat in. We were clearly not treated like second class citizens neither were my children. Just my opinion as I know everyone has one. We will go back.
chef2b98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chef2b98 For This Useful Post:
canoe (08-06-2013), Winnisquamguy (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
canoe

Good afternoon,

I want to thank everyone for all there post and to those who continually support us, we greatly appreciate the time you take to post on the forum. We value everyone's input good and not so good.

I do have an issue with MR. No Bozo, again you have made accusations that are slanderous and false, some of which have been removed from this forum by the webmaster. If you can please tell me where the sign in the restaurant states and I quote your post-

"Sign In the Restaurant Lobby...
Misbehaved Children will removed from their parents custody.. and SOLD as Slaves. NB

let me show you what is at the front desk:

Dear Customers and Staff

House Policy Concerning Children 12 &
under.

Canoe has and will always welcome children
Of all ages. We have 5 different dining rooms
accommodating 200 guests. We do however
Reserve one dining room (Canoe) for adults
only, 50 of our 200 seats.

This is our one and only policy that concerns
children. Thank you for understanding.

We hope you enjoy your dining experience.

Sincerely,

Scott Ouellette
Owner/Chef

Again I appreciate everyone's opinion on our policy, I realize some of you agree and some don't, that's what makes everyone different and the world go around..... we try our hardest to please everyone we can. Thank you and have a great rest of the summer.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to canoe For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-07-2013), Misha888 (08-26-2013), Shreddy (08-07-2013), upthesaukee (08-06-2013), VitaBene (08-07-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe View Post

I do have an issue with MR. No Bozo, again you have made accusations that are slanderous and false, some of which have been removed from this forum by the webmaster. If you can please tell me where the sign in the restaurant states and I quote your post-

Misbehaved Children will removed from their parents custody.. and SOLD as Slaves. NB.
Attention On Deck: (A Little Old NAVY Lingo ) MR NoBozo reporting for duty: Hi Canoe..aka BenzGuy..aka Castleview: YOU need to get a sense of humor. Lighten up. NB

PS: You left out the big grin smily face in your "quote" of my comment.

Last edited by NoBozo; 08-07-2013 at 08:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Pontoon Goon

Default NoBo Please share with us.

I have noticed you have commented several times regarding Canoe. Could you please share with us your own personal experience dining there.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
Resident 2B

Quote:
Good afternoon,

I want to thank everyone for all there post and to those who continually support us, we greatly appreciate the time you take to post on the forum. We value everyone's input good and not so good.

let me show you what is at the front desk:

Dear Customers and Staff

House Policy Concerning Children 12 &
under.

This is our one and only policy that concerns
children. Thank you for understanding.

We hope you enjoy your dining experience.

Sincerely,

Scott Ouellette
Owner/Chef

Again I appreciate everyone's opinion on our policy, I realize some of you agree and some don't, that's what makes everyone different and the world go around..... we try our hardest to please everyone we can. Thank you and have a great rest of the summer.
For the record Scott, you did nothing to try to please me. You clearly treated us like crap.

Please explian how a two-foot diameter raised cocktail table is a reasonable dining table for a party of six people who made reservations for dinner on a Saturday night at lease four days ahead of the "dinner". Ages at the time were 53, 42, 18, 16, 14 and 8. Never a question about ages of the people in the party at the time the reservation was accepted. In all fairness, I could be a year off on the ages, but that is immaterial.

Also, please explain how you or your staff tried to please us when I professionally complained about the verbal filth coming from the mouths of the intoxicated males who were five feet or so away from our dinner party at this mini dining table. I was clearly told "if we did not like it, we could leave." Is that what you refer to as trying to please us? The only people you were trying to please that evening were the men over consumming at your bar. Isn't that a high profit area in your business?

Never tell me you do your hardest to please everyone you can. That is pure crap. You have known of my situation for 12 years and you have never accepted responsibility, have you? You just fluff it off. I have zero respect for you or for any of your businesses. You are a smoke-and-mirrors kind of guy and the public is now seeing through it. You let kids into the better dining areas only when you are not busy. Otherwise, families get treated like crap.

Putting a family with children at a cocktail table five feet from your bar for dinner. Really?

I await your response.

Thanks!

R2B
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
KTO

Resident 2B -

I'm not sure I understand. Were you treated unfairly at this establishment? I don't believe your multiple posts on the topic were clear. Six more posts on the matter might clear it up.

You've made your point. Stop being a crazy ex-girlfriend and actually further a conversation.
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #31
longislander

Thumbs up ...seen not heard.

The wife and I frequent Canoe and "like" and appreciate the recognition of "no kids" in certain areas of the restaurant.

The wife and I were once "kids" (amazingly) and were brought-up with an old adage of "kids should be seen, not heard"; not the norm in today's society ... for better or worse!

Kudos to Canoe for understanding its paying clientele!

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/tex...z/-/index.html
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #32
Shreddy

I love Canoe and their policies. Food is great, I personally haven't had bad service, the ambiance is nice, I feel you get what you pay for.

With that said, all these people GRIPING about the kids policy need to relax. Adults with kids complaining about the "kids policy" is like me going to McDonald's with a play place COMPLAINING about why they allow kids. Canoe is a high end restaurant geared towards adults enjoying themselves for a nice romantic dinner. McDonald's is geared toward low end, fast food, and keeping kids happy. Get over it, cry about it, clearly the policies aren't going to change as the owner has voice his acknowledgement.

Resident2B - he owes you no response. Give it up, you're making a fool of yourself by taking your personal agenda against their policy public. If you were that upset about your situation you should be addressing your issue privately. If nothing less, your experience has assured me that I want to go back and their policy works.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #33
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
Kudos to Canoe for understanding its paying clientele!
It's his business, he obviously thinks that the few people turned off by the policy will be replaced by more people who like the policy. Since he seems to be successful, he must be right. Ultimately in business the market is the judge, people vote with their pocketbooks.

Too bad more issues weren't solved this way.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
canoe (08-08-2013), KPW (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #34
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
veryone you can. That is pure crap. You have known of my situation for 12 years and you have never accepted responsibility, have you? You just fluff it off.
Dude... After 12 years, you're probably the only one with any recollection of this. Maybe it was an off night, maybe he hated your shirt and wanted to single you out. Who knows? But at this point it's probably time to move on. If Canoe was truly that terrible, they'd likely have gone out of business by now.
canoe (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #35
GTO

Default you're right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
No matter how you look at it. It is still discrimination. Nice people. Leave me out of there.
And I'm going to make a stand against all this. This weekend I'm taking my kids to a strip club and then maybe a night club......time to fight back against all this discrimination
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #36
valhala

Wow !
You had a bad experience 12 years ago ? Let it go, life is way too short.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
gillygirl

Wasn't it still Chequers Harbor 12 years ago?

I don't have this kind of animosity toward a former boss who screwed me over.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #38
Shreddy

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing! I still think it was Chequers. Also, if this happened 12 years ago, clearly he's doing alright as he's still in business and still fills the parking lot (s).
Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
Irish mist

Quote:

I loved the old Chequers Harbor Used to go to those great pizza lunch specials all the time.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #40
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
I loved the old Chequers Harbor Used to go to those great pizza lunch specials all the time.
Much better than Canoe, IMHO.
Irish mist (08-07-2013), wifi (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
NoBozo

Default Going Out On A Limb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
I have noticed you have commented several times regarding Canoe. Could you please share with us your own personal experience dining there.
I Have commented on Canoe.. but not just Canoe. Being an old retired coot with nothing better to do than read posts on this forum...I see trends in writing styles, and attitudes... of the posters. I have noticed this with Restaurant postings.

When the comments toward a certain restaurant go negative,.. Eventually, the owner.. May come on and explain himself with a reasonable explanation.....OR... Digs himself a hole.

I look for consistancies between posts.. of the suspects: in this case: (Canoe...BenzGuy, and CastleView). Low Number of posts since joining the forum. Strong opinions In Favor of the resaurant...Same writing style. It goes on..... Notice the Smily Faces. Not interested in making trouble...just observing. NB
Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #42
chasedawg

[QUOTE=NoBozo;209769]I Have commented on Canoe.. but not just Canoe. Being an old retired coot with nothing better to do than read posts on this forum..
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #43
chasedawg

[QUOTE=chasedawg;209782]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I Have Being an old retired coot with nothing better to do than read posts on this forum..
NoBozo...Oh No...Bozo...Oh NO...I thought you were my shinning light into retirement having great experiences everyday doing something new.

Now you tell me you are an "retired old coot with nothing to do" but sit and watch the forum every morning. OMG! Please look out the window and see the beautiful mountains, sunsets, and gorgeous views of our wonderful world we view everyday.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
canoe (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #44
Bigstan

Quote:
Quote:
You mean this is a complete falsehood - something completely made up by someone who has never been to Canoe, will in all likelihood never be a guest, and who pokes fun because he has nothing to do but read the forum all day and analyze literary patterns? That's sad....there are so many better things to do.

I have told the kids all week when they got rowdy - "If you don't behave we're going to Canoe". That gave me peace as the poor kids hid under the bed for the remainder of the day, afraid they would be sold to the salt mines. It was good while it lasted....I guess now I have to teach them truth vs. lies....thanks NB.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
canoe (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #45
Shreddy

Quote:
I Have commented on Canoe.. but not just Canoe. Being an old retired coot with nothing better to do than read posts on this forum...I see trends in writing styles, and attitudes... of the posters. I have noticed this with Restaurant postings.

When the comments toward a certain restaurant go negative,.. Eventually, the owner.. May come on and explain himself with a reasonable explanation.....OR... Digs himself a hole.

I look for consistancies between posts.. of the suspects: in this case: (Canoe...BenzGuy, and CastleView). Low Number of posts since joining the forum. Strong opinions In Favor of the resaurant...Same writing style. It goes on..... Notice the Smily Faces. Not interested in making trouble...just observing. NB
He asked you to comment on YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCES there...sounds like you're a typical keyboard jockey who just wants to stir the pot. Give it up...
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #46
canoe

Good morning no bozo I actually do have a great sense of humor but not knowing me there's no way you would know that. You're right I do get a little defensive especially when it comes to people making false accusations regarding my business my employees and/or myself.

I can also tell you I am none of those other people that you think I am, Benz guy or Castle View, I am canoe. I know you may not believe me but I have no reason to lie and I give the webmaster full authority to tell you that I am neither one of those two people. I will guarantee you with the utmost certainty and if you find different you may have the keys to all of my business or I will close them down.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #47
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Good morning no bozo I actually do have a great sense of humor but not knowing me there's no way you would know that. You're right I do get a little defensive especially when it comes to people making false accusations regarding my business my employees and/or myself.

I can also tell you I am none of those other people that you think I am, Benz guy or Castle View, I am canoe. I know you may not believe me but I have no reason to lie and I give the webmaster full authority to tell you that I am neither one of those two people. I will guarantee you with the utmost certainty and if you find different you may have the keys to all of my business or I will close them down.
Enough said! Thanks Scott and keep up the great work!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
KPW (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #48
dxd

Default Canoe

"I went with my 2 well behaved children who were 11 and 9 last summer and they would only seat us in the downstairs bar-type area because we were with kids. The food was good but I did not like being exiled when we go out for a nice dinner. Not a good way to treat customers in a family friendly resort area. I have not gone back. "

Same happened to me last summer. We were two families with 4 kids all behaved with youngest being 9. It was our first time at Canoe and have not gone there since. The first experience sitting in the dark basement did not feel like a nice restaurant but rather like a mediocre bar. We made a reservation days in advance
dxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #49
KPW

Quote:
The focaccia with dipping oil is one of many things I love about the Canoe.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #50
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Pretty clear

As a parent of 2, now 15 and 18, I have not been seated in the main dining room. Neither me or my kids were emotionally scarred. It is their clear policy, one that anyone reading this forum is well aware of.

It seems that many think that their kids are different from my kids and most any that I have run into- they are perfectly behaved

I have eaten at many restaurants in the Lakes region (and in many cities where fine dining is commonplace) and one thing I know is that NO restaurant is perfect. Occasionally even the best of the best fail to meet their customer's expectations. I believe Canoe does a great job at their mission. I, for one, am glad that I have good options for food on this side of the Lake- Canoe, Woodshed, Lavinias, Lemongrass, The Restaurant and Corner House Inn.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

People, People, People.....

The Canoe Policy regarding kids is old news.... everyone on this forum knows all about it as it has come up many times.....

You may not like, you might not think it is right... but it is what it is...

LuvLake, did you try to talk with the manager on duty during your "horrible experience".... I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have done something to try and calm the situation... But the bottom line is they also might not have had someplace to easily move your party of six to.....

I have never been a fan of Canoe, or their policy.... But I have also taken the time to digest feed back from Scott regarding his reasoning, for the policy... and the bottom line is it is a known policy.... and if you don't like it don't go.... simple as that.....
Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #52
LuvLake

Default Follow up

Hi all - I did not mean to stir up such a controversy, but was just hoping to let people with kids know about the policy before they went. I did not know beforehand - it was not mentioned in any of their ads. That night I expressed my displeasure to the hostess, but did not have much choice as it was a busy summer night and by the time we drove somewhere else, there would be no other option.

I have had great experiences at with my kids (who are indeed well behaved) when we go to O in Lakeport. So, when we want to celebrate with a nice dinner with the kids we go there.

I understand the Canoe policy, but I disagree with it - especially in a family friendly area like Lake Winni. I have taken my kids to nice restaurants since they were very young and they understand "restaurant behavior" so I don't like being pre-judged.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #53
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I understand the Canoe policy, but I disagree with it - especially in a family friendly area like Lake Winni. I have taken my kids to nice restaurants since they were very young and they understand "restaurant behavior" so I don't like being pre-judged.
The only "pre-judged" I see is that they are kids.
I don't see what the big deal is.

BroadHopper (08-19-2013), Chaselady (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #54
Newbiesaukee

This is Scott's restaurant and he can do as he wishes as long as it is legal.

He could not restrict his rooms from certain groups if he "prejudged" them to be unacceptable based on skin color, etc. He IS prejudging a group's behavior based on age but I will assume this is legal ( I am not a lawyer). Certainly as a society we restrict driver's licenses to people above a certain age because we believe that below a certain age they are not responsible so prejudging based on age is sometimes OK.

I do not agree with his policy in his restaurant but he can do it. He did not always have this policy posted and I did object to his not being up front about it. His posting on the Forum was helpful.

But it is prejudging a group based solely on age and the vast majority of restaurants seem to be able to function quite well without it.

I believe this is exactly the definition of prejudging for those who don't get it.

This thread is getting old...says the poster who is prolonging it

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote