Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Good Morning Winnipesaukee 11-4-12

Crisp late fall morning on Winnipesaukee.

Name:  sunrise_winnipesaukee_11-4-12_pano.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  63.3 KB
bclaker (11-06-2012), Bernie Girl (11-04-2012), BroadHopper (11-04-2012), ClosetExtrovert (11-06-2012), Dog's Ear (11-04-2012), dykg (11-04-2012), ITD (11-04-2012), Jonas Pilot (11-04-2012), Merrymeeting (11-04-2012), trfour (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Merrymeeting

Steve,

As have others, I'd like to thank you for posting all the great pictures. I know I've asked before, but it would be great if you could also include camera settings and any post processing info on occasion.

I'm envious of the time you have to devote to learning this craft, and I'd love to benefit from your learnings.

Thanks
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Bob M

Steve,

Your pictures are very much appreciated. This is especially so since we are now at our winter home in Florida. We left last Saturday at noon, just in time to skirt our way around the storm. Although I may spend the winters in Florida, rest assured that my thoughts are always in New Hampshire and the Lakes Region.

Bob
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
ITD

Steve, you've got quite an eye for pictures, nice job...
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Steve,

As have others, I'd like to thank you for posting all the great pictures. I know I've asked before, but it would be great if you could also include camera settings and any post processing info on occasion.

I'm envious of the time you have to devote to learning this craft, and I'd love to benefit from your learnings.

Thanks
This is the "data" from the pano in this post. 100 % of my post processing is done with Adobe "Elements" which is a scaled down, (read much less expensive ) form of Adobe PhotoShop. The main changes is order of how often I use them are

#1 "Cropping" all of my pictures that I post here are cropped to either 5"X7" or 7"X5" (exception is pano's)

#2 In Elements you can click a single button to remove "color cast". Rather than try to explain what color cast is, and why you MAY want to remove (not always.. sometimes you want color cast) read this excellent explanation of Color Cast here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_balance

#3 Another change I make often, but not always, is to use another panel in Elements to make adjusts in "Hue". This allows me to accentuate a particular color that I think is critical to making the picture "jump at you" Hard to explain, but you'll know it when you see it.

#4 Another thing that helps my pictures in general is the "framing". You can read about "The Rule of Thirds" here. I try to look at my pictures and set up the shot with this "rule" in mind, BUT sometimes you can use cropping to create a picture that takes advantage of the Rule of Thirds. Search "Rule of Thirds" on Google for tons of information on the subject.

http://www.ultimate-photo-tips.com/p...of-thirds.html

Having said all of that.. many times I use the selectable "modes" that come with my Canon T3. These Modes or programs preset some of selectable functions of the camera like Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO (Sensitivity to the existing light) For the Pano here, and most of my "water" shots I use the Landscape mode. Most of my Closeup stuff I use 'Portrait"

Hope this didn't bore everyone, What was that line from Tommy Boy.. " I can get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking my head up a bulls *ss... but I'd rather just take the butchers word for it."

Name:  photo_detail-qpr.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  36.6 KB
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Steve,

Thanks
My wife took a class at Laconia HS continuing education. It was inexpensive and she learned a lot from it.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
My wife took a class at Laconia HS continuing education. It was inexpensive and she learned a lot from it.
My wife and I took the classes there also, the instructor was Daryl Carlson. He was the guy that got me interested in photography. The classes were $55 for eight 2 and 1/2 hour classes. He was a VERY good instructor and a real nice guy.
Belmont Resident (11-04-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Crisp late fall morning on Winnipesaukee.
And what do we get on the next day, 5 November? Snow, of course. At least -- a little came down on my driveway, with a few white spots here and there in the woods. That was the first snow I saw this season. Welcome to winter!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote