Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Thumbs up Jitters (Pittsfield)...

I know it's a stretch calling Pittsfield the Lakes Region and I'll understand Don if you have to delete this thread but I gotta rave about this great little place...

Jitters is on Main St. in Pittsfield - just off Route 28 - and just opened up under new owners. Argie and I used to go there about 10 years ago, back when we were dating, and it was a cute little coffee shop then. The restaurant had a different name for a little while but just re-opened in Feb. as Jitters with new owners. We went this morning for a nostalgic visit and were pleasantly surprised!

Argie had a three cheese omlet, I had a veggie omlet, and the youngest Argelet had pancakes. The omlets came with homefries and toast and were h.u.g.e. - big fluffy things stuffed with goodies. Everything came to the table hot, and all at once, like it should. (I hate it when we get served before the kids when we're out - not the case here.) The coffee was Green Mt brand and I never saw the bottom of the cup! The decor was very nice - the new owners have done a nice job with the place. The price was right - we got everything for $18 (including tax!).

They serve breakfast and lunch but serve a supper buffet on Friday nights for now. The buffet is $14.99 and offers two main dishes to choose from. I think there were things like lamb shanks, salmon, prime rib - you get the idea...

And there's free WiFi! Hell-ooooO!

So, if you're looking for something with good value, casual but nice atmosphere, and very friendly, then check this place out. It's a little off the Lakes Region path but worth it!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
eyenotall777 (05-07-2010)
Old 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Grady223

Default Pittsfield

I think Pittsfield is close enough to be included here for a restaurant recommendation. It is 15 miles from Alton Bay?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
eyenotall777

Default nhliving.com

According to nhliving, Pittsfield is considered a town in the eastern lakes region of NH, so I believe you are all set.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Many of us from the Alton end of the lake use 28 through Pittsfield to get back and forth to the lake from Concord and points south so this may really come in handy for some of us!

from Yelp
Quote:

32 Main St
Pittsfield, NH 03263

(603) 435-6222
<---CLICK ON THE THUMBNAIL for LARGER Pic

Add Photos

Price Range:
$

Accepts Credit Cards:
Yes

Attire:
Casual

Good for Kids:
Yes

Take-out:
Yes

Waiter Service:
Yes

Wheelchair Accessible:
Yes

Wi-Fi:
Free
Jitters Cafe opened up about two weeks ago in the former Zoya's Restaurant in the sleepy town of Pittsfield. The name sounds similar to Jitter Beans Internet Cafe in Marlborough, which is a coffee house and vegetarian cafe, but there is no connection.

It was my coworker who actually discovered this place for me (new eats alert) and had breakfast here over the weekend. I heard from him and another coworker that the place was very busy with a line out the door with the locals wanting to try the newest breakfast and lunch place in town.

The place was totally remodeled, a far cry from its predecessor and looks very nice and bright with new furnishings, counter seating, tables & chairs, shiny hardwood floors, and the walls are decorated with framed pictures and nice framed photos of flower closeups (for sale) taken by a local photographer.

The paper menus are at each table, offerings include typical breakfast dishes served all day, as well as lunch (after 11AM) including sandwiches, salads, burgers, chili, fried foods, and cafe entrees (meat loaf, spaghetti, lasagna, seafood, steak, chicken, & more). Specials are sometimes offered here and the prices here are pretty reasonable, most breakfast items priced well under $10 and entrees in the $7-$12 range. Baked goods including homemade breads and Green Mountain Coffee are readily available to go. On Sundays, an all you can eat Breakfast Buffet ($6.95) is served from 6AM-1PM.

I decided to give this place a try on a rainy Tuesday morning, which in this case, the place was not crowded, probably due to school vacation week in NH. It was just myself eating breakfast solo at 7AM. I sat myself at a small table in the back dining area and I was offered coffee as I took a seat. The Green Mountain Coffee was pretty decent. The music of Susan Boyle was pumping through the speakers. Wild Horses is a good song!

I looked over the choices for breakfast and as usual, I did inquire about the hash, which was not homemade here. I decided on the Jitters Best Deal ($4.95) which included 2 eggs any style, home fries, 2 pancakes or French toast, and 2 ham, bacon, or sausage, a pretty good deal! The food was served to me expediently and my coffee was topped off constantly during this meal. The scrambled eggs were fluffy and done right. The grilled ham slices were tender and pretty good. The home fries were fresh cut and lightly grilled, slightly mushy texture, but good tasting. However, the pancakes were not very good (2 thumbs down!). These puppies were made way too thick (1 inch) and more like rubbery griddle cakes and the texture inside was crumbly and dry and not light and fluffy. I could not finish it since I was already full from the generous amount of food on the 2 plates.

Overall, I would give the food an overall 2.5 stars. However, I will round up and I'm giving props to the ownership for the fantastic job of remodeling this restaurant space and making it look very nice and inviting. The nice shiny hardwood floors are immaculate, very much like going to a bowling alley. Jitters Cafe is very new and kinks are expected, especially with the very thick pancakes, which should be thinner, soft, light, and fluffy. The service was attentive and gracious. I will give it some time before returning.

Wi-Fi Available

HOURS: Mon-Fri: 5:30AM-2:00PM; Sat-Sun: 6:00AM-2:00PM

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
RLW (05-07-2010)
Old 05-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Argie's Wife

Default Pancakes...

Thanks for the notes...

Our youngest child has a big problem with chewing/swallowing food as certain textures and tastes really bother him. He had absolutely no problem with the pancakes and almost cleaned a big stack of them off before Argie and I had finished our meals. The boy tucked it in - it was good to see.

Some restaurants put corn meal in their pancake mix - thankfully that wasn't the case at Jitters. The grit from corn meal is too much for the youngest Argelet... he can't hack it.

However, the pancakes at Jitters were a little tougher on the outside than I'd have liked - like they'd been flipped an extra time or two - but not as leathery as the poster at Yelp described. They went down well!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow The Lakes Region

The Lakes Region might be bigger than you think.

Now that I see how far it extends, I have some Lake Links to add!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Concord?

You mean Concord Mass? Folks from Concord NH usually drive up 106 to the lake.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
If they were going to Alton (or Wolfeboro), Rt. 106 would bring them quite a bit out of the way. See MAP

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

Right McDude,
We know 28 like the back of our hands.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Wink Now that all depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Those of us that live in Alton, Wolfeboro, and points east of the lake use rte 28 regularly. When we are in Concord and want a nice leisurely ride home, we take the extra 10-15 minutes and go up 106 to Allen Mills Rd or rte 140. We may even go all the way up to Gilford. Even if you take 106, you could slip over Loudon Rd to Pittsfield and enjoy Jitters and then take the leisurely ride over 107 to get back on track.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Argie's Wife

Pittsfield is also home to the annual hot air balloon rally, hosted by the Pittsfield Rotary Club. Absolutely one of the best family-oritented and local events you can go to - my kids LOVE the festival! Their website is HERE if you want more information.

Just another reason to go to Jitters.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Those of us that live in Alton, Wolfeboro, and points east of the lake use rte 28 regularly. When we are in Concord and want a nice leisurely ride home, we take the extra 10-15 minutes and go up 106 to Allen Mills Rd or rte 140. We may even go all the way up to Gilford. Even if you take 106, you could slip over Loudon Rd to Pittsfield and enjoy Jitters and then take the leisurely ride over 107 to get back on track.
Just to clarify so folks are not looking for a road that does not exist. The name of the road on the RT 129 Loudon side, is Pittsfield Road. It changes to Loudon Road when you cross the border into Pittsfield.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote