Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2024, 09:53 PM   #1
Winilyme

Default Family Mystery - Appeal to Winnipesaukee Long-Timers

While sorting through my Dad's slides recently we ran across these three circa 1980 photos taken on Lake Winnipesaukee when I was 18 years old. The folks in the photo are me, my sister, brother and Mom (our Dad would have been taking the photos). I've recounted my memory of this trip several times over the years to my brother and sister but they couldn't recall it nor could I remember many details. It was a pleasant surprise to run across these pics.

I vaguely recall my Dad taking us to Winni to check out this cottage on an island - as a potential place to rent during the summer (we often rented on various lakes over the years we were growing up). We never did rent on Winni but remembered the visit there and always wondered why Dad chose not to rent this place. Unfortunately, I never asked him or Mom before they passed. I'm not positive the cottage was on an island but in my head, I've remembered it that way.

I'm wondering if any Forum members would recognize where this cottage was/is. One callout is the rock (lower left corner of the cottage photo) with the word 'Kenandesh' painted on it. I've Googled that but haven't come up with anything. I'm wondering if anyone recognizes/remembers it (last name of the owners perhaps...or their name for the camp???). And the view to the water...I'm hoping someone will recognize precisely where that is...perhaps by identifying the island or is it possible anyone would remember the unusual painted canoe. Finally, knowing where the Mount was when this photo was taken might help identify the general vicinity where my family spent that day 44 years ago.

The irony of all this is that my wife and I now spend our summers on Winni and would absolutely love to motor past this cottage, if it still exists. Even if it doesn't, the ability to see the site and the emotions it would bring back would be amazing.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:24 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

A few questions:

Did you have a boat on the lake or access to one during that visit? If not, that would eliminate all but the bridged islands, if it was indeed on an island.

The pictures look like you were at that cottage for a longer period than just to check out a potential rental. The family looks "settled in".

If everyone in the pictures is a family member where are the owners who would be showing you the place to see if you would like to rent it?

The picture of the Mount Washington has a marker and it looks like a rock is next to it. You could look at a chart and follow the Mount Washington route looking for a similar marker and rock on the route.

The fact that it is on the Mount Washington route should eliminate a lot of places it couldn't be.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 08:04 AM   #3
Winilyme

Thanks Tilton and good questions.

I’ve previously racked my brain and seem to recall having a boat but just can’t be certain. Our family did not own one. I also have no recollection of being with the owner as I feel arrangements were made to allow access via a key transfer or something. Could have been a connection with a friend here in CT. I definitely know it was just a day visit. Regarding the Mount, I will try to look at the route and that rock. Even if I could ID the location, my Dad could have taken that photo during a drive around the lake so I was really hoping that something in the other two photos would jog a memory.

Ugh. Not much to go on, I know.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:34 AM   #4
Nautique2001

I don't recognize the camp, either, but the photos have some useful clues.

For instance, that buoy is a lighted buoy without a companion black or red spar--aren't a lot of those. (If only you could read its number!)

Based on the position of the photographer relative to the rock, buoy, and the Mount I could almost make a case from that being shot from the Black Cat Island bridge area, looking out past Becky's Garden in high water--but the lack of a "garden" (okay, scrubby brush) scuppers that idea. Still, the position of the mountains in both the Mount photo and the view from the dock-and-boat shot makes me think the north end of the lake.

That view shows a larger island with what looks like a dock and a little island just off to the side--looking for something like that near the Mount's old route might be helpful, too. I could make a case for Bear Island, looking out at Five Mile, with that large building in the far distance being a big shed at Trexler's Marina, which would also put you near a place your dad could have rented a boat--but there's no big dock on that Five Mile. Likewise, I tried to make a case for Pine Island, looking out at Three Mile (near Brown's for boat rental and the Mount's Weirs-to-Center Harbor route), but I think the little island is in the wrong orientation compared to Three-Mile.

Or, I could be entirely off base... or maybe this eliminated some spots to narrow the search. Good luck! And that's a great photo of the pre-83 Mount too!
Nautique2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautique2001 For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 09:45 AM   #5
granitebox

If forced to guess I'd say South end of Pine Island - lighted buoy with rocks visible during less than full pool - the Mount travels between Pine and Bear and the the one of the deck is looking eastward toward 3 mile Island Camp with the island off the dock visible.

Thats all I have -
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to granitebox For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (04-18-2024)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2024, 10:17 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default My Guess

OK here's my guess...This is only based off the picture with the umbrella...

Based off this picture I do believe this view is looking south. I believe the island you see in that picture could be Gun Island. The mountainous background seems to fit this view. The camp could of been on the shore off Elkins point rd or Dock Rd...

Good luck finding it!

Dan
Winilyme (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:42 AM   #7
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautique2001 View Post
I don't recognize the camp, either, but the photos have some useful clues.

For instance, that buoy is a lighted buoy without a companion black or red spar--aren't a lot of those. (If only you could read its number!)

Based on the position of the photographer relative to the rock, buoy, and the Mount I could almost make a case from that being shot from the Black Cat Island bridge area, looking out past Becky's Garden in high water--but the lack of a "garden" (okay, scrubby brush) scuppers that idea. Still, the position of the mountains in both the Mount photo and the view from the dock-and-boat shot makes me think the north end of the lake.

That view shows a larger island with what looks like a dock and a little island just off to the side--looking for something like that near the Mount's old route might be helpful, too. I could make a case for Bear Island, looking out at Five Mile, with that large building in the far distance being a big shed at Trexler's Marina, which would also put you near a place your dad could have rented a boat--but there's no big dock on that Five Mile. Likewise, I tried to make a case for Pine Island, looking out at Three Mile (near Brown's for boat rental and the Mount's Weirs-to-Center Harbor route), but I think the little island is in the wrong orientation compared to Three-Mile.

Or, I could be entirely off base... or maybe this eliminated some spots to narrow the search. Good luck! And that's a great photo of the pre-83 Mount too!
Love the lighted buoy observation.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:56 AM   #8
Bear Guy

Default Voting with granitebox

I'm going to use the mountain view for my clues. I annotated the picture below with my guess. If that one peak is really Chocorua, that says the 'umbrella' view is pretty much north, and it narrows down the swath of the lake to a vertical swath generally around Three Mile Island. Then I also derive that the cabin more or less points east.
Playing around in Google Earth, I can get that mountain profile from Pine Island, and the Hawk's Nest Island fits the image too (that's the island off Three Mile main dock).
Attached Images

Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Guy For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 11:00 AM   #9
Nautique2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
only based off the picture with the umbrella... I do believe this view is looking south. I believe the island you see in that picture could be Gun Island. The mountainous background seems to fit this view. The camp could of been on the shore off Elkins point rd or Dock Rd...
Interesting! That spot is almost directly on the other side of Moultonborough Neck from Pine Island, making three guesses for the north end of the lake.

If it is a camp on that side of the Neck facing Gun, then the Mount photo must have been taken on a boat ride.

The "No...something" sign on the tree by the camp intrigues me too. Is that or the sign below legible in the originals? Almost suggests it was part of a larger group of rental properties and those are the management organization's rules?
Old 04-18-2024, 11:03 AM   #10
Nautique2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy View Post
If that one peak is really Chocorua...
That was my thought! If only we could move that pole and clear the haze. Pinning Chocorua would help sort it out.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:21 PM   #11
Winilyme

Quote:
I'm going to use the mountain view for my clues. I annotated the picture below with my guess. If that one peak is really Chocorua, that says the 'umbrella' view is pretty much north, and it narrows down the swath of the lake to a vertical swath generally around Three Mile Island. Then I also derive that the cabin more or less points east.
Playing around in Google Earth, I can get that mountain profile from Pine Island, and the Hawk's Nest Island fits the image too (that's the island off Three Mile main dock).
This is some amazing work, Bear Guy. I'll be out there cruising around in a few months trying to piece together all these ideas.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:27 PM   #12
Winilyme

Quote:
Interesting! That spot is almost directly on the other side of Moultonborough Neck from Pine Island, making three guesses for the north end of the lake.

If it is a camp on that side of the Neck facing Gun, then the Mount photo must have been taken on a boat ride.

The "No...something" sign on the tree by the camp intrigues me too. Is that or the sign below legible in the originals? Almost suggests it was part of a larger group of rental properties and those are the management organization's rules?
My Dad was a prolific photographer and he had thousands and thousands of slides that we had digitized several years ago. I too have tried to make out more of that sign but we chucked the actual slides. Many of them had seen better days so I doubt there would have been any better resolution on the original anyway
Old 04-18-2024, 12:44 PM   #13
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

If it's helpful, the late great DCR created a series of fantastic annotated pictures of the surrounding mountain ranges and posted them on our Photopost gallery in 2005-2010.

If you want to see all 9 of them go to Photopost and search for "annotated". Also check out some of the other 1427 pictures he posted. DCR was a busy member.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Diana (04-18-2024), upthesaukee (04-18-2024), Winilyme (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So, I am looking at the clues, and my first belief is the picture of the Mount is likely something that could be Ignored... as a clue. I also think the the picture of the cottage as a clue is Ignoble as well... So I have been focusing in on the last remaining picture....

As mentioned Pine would be a possibility, as would bear....
I can also picture that view from the mainland between MoultonboroughNeck and Long Island, looking towards Cow (nope not an island)

Blackcat would be a hard sell for me
Old 04-18-2024, 02:32 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,515 Times in 984 Posts
Default 3 Mile?

If the Mount picture is just a distractor/irrelevant, is it possible this could be Three Mile Island? The AMC Camp would have several cottages, and their own boat to take you out for a tour of the camp. Does that fit the recollection of visiting but never staying at the cottage in question? Anybody here have AMC experience at Three Mile Island Camp? That might also explain the sign with the illegible "No" rule. I can't explain the marker, although it doesn't necessarily fully fit my image of a lighted buoy of that era. Water around Three Mile is mostly deep, but could there be a rock and a "private" buoy close to the Hawk's Nest?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:44 PM   #16
Bear Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If the Mount picture is just a distractor/irrelevant, is it possible this could be Three Mile Island? The AMC Camp would have several cottages, ...
The building pictured does not fit with a Three Mile theory. That AMC camp has several large (communal) buildings; the individual cottages are far more primitive than what is pictured. Here's an image from the AMC website:

The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Guy For This Useful Post:
Descant (04-19-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 03:54 PM   #17
Bear Guy

Quote:
The building pictured does not fit with a Three Mile theory...
BUT, tell me what you think about matching the mountain view from that Three Mile main dock (adjacent to Hawk's Nest Is.) in background of this picture (looking somewhat north):

Old 04-18-2024, 03:57 PM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

My only input as a relative newbie to the lake is that that view looks much more like the northern mountainline than the southern.

Also, this is the best thread on Winni Forum right now.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:08 PM   #19
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

What about the writing on the rock? "KENANDESH"

Anyone know what this may mean?
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #20
Nautique2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So, I am looking at the clues, and my first belief is the picture of the Mount is likely something that could be Ignored... as a clue. I also think the the picture of the cottage as a clue is Ignoble as well... So I have been focusing in on the last remaining picture....

As mentioned Pine would be a possibility, as would bear....
I can also picture that view from the mainland between MoultonboroughNeck and Long Island, looking towards Cow (nope not an island)

Blackcat would be a hard sell for me
Nope. It's not Black Cat. While there is a camp of a similar design on the island and it does face the Ossipee Mountains, the KENANDESH (Ken and Esh? Ken and E. S-H?) painted on the rock and the view don't fit.

Nor is it on Three Mile, although Three Mile and/or Hawk's Nest may be in the photo.

Yup, the umbrella photo is the key.

If this is Pine Island looking towards Three Mile, which seems very plausible, one bit doesn't add up: The fact that the skinny/pointy end of Hawk's Nest points to Pine. There isn't a dock or building on that end, but it sure looks like there's one in the photo.

Another possibility is that we have our islands shifted slightly: Hawk's Nest is at the far (viewer's) left of the photo and the island to the right is Hull--not next to it but behind it. Hull does have a building on the end facing Pine. Maybe?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautique2001 For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 05:32 PM   #21
Winilyme

Quote:
BUT, tell me what you think about matching the mountain view from that Three Mile main dock (adjacent to Hawk's Nest Is.) in background of this picture (looking somewhat north):

The mountains in my photo sure seem to match up with yours, Bear Guy.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:36 PM   #22
Winilyme

Quote:
Nope. It's not Black Cat. While there is a camp of a similar design on the island and it does face the Ossipee Mountains, the KENANDESH (Ken and Esh? Ken and E. S-H?) painted on the rock and the view don't fit.

Nor is it on Three Mile, although Three Mile and/or Hawk's Nest may be in the photo.

Yup, the umbrella photo is the key.

If this is Pine Island looking towards Three Mile, which seems very plausible, one bit doesn't add up: The fact that the skinny/pointy end of Hawk's Nest points to Pine. There isn't a dock or building on that end, but it sure looks like there's one in the photo.

Another possibility is that we have our islands shifted slightly: Hawk's Nest is at the far (viewer's) left of the photo and the island to the right is Hull--not next to it but behind it. Hull does have a building on the end facing Pine. Maybe?
Love the thinking regarding the name on the rock. Very creative. I Googled women's name that begin with ESH (it could be a letter or two are hidden by the round piece of wood. There are quite a few names that could fit - though very unusual names at that.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:43 PM   #23
WJT2

FL 40. You could have been on Keniston Island. Mount is coming out of Wolfeboro. There are only 12 Light Buoys without a red/black companion buoy.
That's my guess.Good luck.
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:25 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJT2 View Post
FL 40. You could have been on Keniston Island. Mount is coming out of Wolfeboro. There are only 12 Light Buoys without a red/black companion buoy.
That's my guess.Good luck.
Or Barndoor? We kind of thought the mountains look like Alton.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:52 PM   #25
ghfromaltonbay

Default Mt Chocorua

The picture of the bicycle rider plainly shows Mt Chocorua in the distance on the right.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (04-20-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 04:58 PM   #26
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
The picture of the bicycle rider plainly shows Mt Chocorua in the distance on the right.
If that pic is from 3 mile looking to the north, I’d say it’s Mt Washington, versus Mt Chocorua. Chocorua is farther to the east.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:52 AM   #27
Winilyme

Thank you for the many suggestions/ideas - many more than I could have ever thought of myself.

I'll be on the lake this summer trying to narrow this down and I'll update this thread if I'm able to figure it out. I have to believe the key will be with that island in perspective to the mountain view. Maybe I get lucky and the actual camp is still there and recognizable against the photo.

It also occurred to me that, as I assume these photos were taken in the middle of the day, it feels to me that the shade is gradually encroaching on the dock while the background shorelines are in full sun. Perhaps this reinforces that the camp is on the eastern to southern shore of the island/mainland (taking my brothers shadow on the dock into consideration).
Old 04-20-2024, 05:38 PM   #28
Pine Island Guy

Default Mystery solved!!!

Usually I'm a very frequent reader of the forum. However, this time of year there usually isn't much activity so I haven't looked at it in a bit, but now that my neighbor's walked over tonight. + asked me about this mystery, I wish I'd seen it sooner (although I do love the detective work that everyone has been doing)

The house is located just behind light buoy number 4 on Pine Island. I purchased it in 1998, and rented it out for several years, until starting to rebuild it in 2011.

I have hundreds of pictures of the old house, and the new house, which I will gather together and put in a Google photo album for you.

Sherlock aka PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-22-2024), Bear Guy (04-20-2024), CTYankee (04-21-2024), ishoot308 (04-21-2024), JayR (04-22-2024), Nautique2001 (04-20-2024), Pineedles (04-23-2024), Slickcraft (04-21-2024), Susie Cougar (04-20-2024), TiltonBB (04-21-2024), upthesaukee (04-20-2024), Winilyme (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 06:47 PM   #29
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
Usually I'm a very frequent reader of the forum. However, this time of year there usually isn't much activity so I haven't looked at it in a bit, but now that my neighbor's walked over tonight. + asked me about this mystery, I wish I'd seen it sooner (although I do love the detective work that everyone has been doing)

The house is located just behind light buoy number 4 on Pine Island. I purchased it in 1998, and rented it out for several years, until starting to rebuild it in 2011.

I have hundreds of pictures of the old house, and the new house, which I will gather together and put in a Google photo album for you.

Sherlock aka PIG
You are AWESOME, Pine Island Guy. I am so excited!!! No, I understated that; I'm EXTREMELY EXCITED. Can't wait to share this thread with my wife, brother and sister.

Pine Island would have been the first place I would have checked this summer given the feedback from the Forum. It makes sense that my Dad may have rented a boat from Y Landing or Sheps. Pine Island is the FIRST place I'll take my ski when I get it in the water this year.

Can you explain the meaning of what's written on the rock?

I can't believe that after all this, the camp is now owned by a Forum member. This has been a great experience. Can't wait to see the album. Do you summer there now?

Did I say you are AWESOME!!!?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
Pine Island Guy (04-20-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 10:32 AM   #30
Descant

Thanked 1,515 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post

Sherlock aka PIG
Perhaps OK that you came late to the party. With 3.000+ readers in four days, and ~30 posts, this thread has been a lot of fun. Thanks to the OP and PIG.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-21-2024), Winilyme (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 11:16 AM   #31
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Perhaps OK that you came late to the party. With 3.000+ readers in four days, and ~30 posts, this thread has been a lot of fun. Thanks to the OP and PIG.
Agreed—I really loved this one.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:56 PM   #32
LoveLakeLife

Best outcome possible. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 03:08 PM   #33
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

It was a fun thread. Glad you solved it PIG.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 03:24 PM   #34
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Great outcome!!!

Dan