Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
GWC...

Question what's up with login?

"GWC..." is shown as though am logged in. Yet, had to do login to post thread, as would expect because was not logged in.

Also, have this wonderful item in Temporary Internet Files on my system:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...024w-thumb.jpg

It does not desire to be deleted.

So, what's up?

Is my system or the site experiencing a bug?
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

I'm not sure what you are asking me to do.

1. The system just asked you to log in again. Any number of things could cause that. My advice is just to log in again.

2. You can delete Temporary Internet files anytime you want. Just delete them through Tools|Internet Options in IE. You'll have to ask Microsoft why files are there.

Don

Last edited by webmaster; 04-11-2005 at 03:15 PM.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
GWC...

Wink Only curious...

Was only curious why site was acting odd and curious why something on my system did not want to be deleted. It's gone, now.

This site seems to be slower than normal for the past few days (weeks?).

Is it time for a server enhancement? How much would a good server cost?

P.S. - Appreciate the response.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #4
GWC...

Default What's up...

What's up with the server and this site?

Posts that show today's date were viewed yesterday.

How's that possible?

Time for a new or larger server?

Time for a server fund donation thingy?
Old 04-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
What's up with the server and this site?
Nothing, except for high volume and a small problem this morning with the disk mirroring system nothing else has changed.

Site traffic has doubled since about a month ago (a normal jump for the spring). The more visitors, the longer it takes to generate and display pages. I just moved the site to my own server last year and although it would be great to have even more horsepower, a new server is not on the agenda this year. My to-do list is already overflowing with the new Weirscam and several needed software upgrades. Maybe next year I'll look into another server upgrade.

The "Webmaster's Dream Server" would cost $3000-$5000. I'm not sure if that could be raised by donations.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
GWC...

Exclamation Webmaster's Dream Server...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
Site traffic has doubled since about a month ago.

The more visitors, the longer it takes to generate and display pages.

I just moved the site to my own server last year and although it would be great to have even more horsepower, a new server is not on the agenda this year.

The "Webmaster's Dream Server" would cost $3000-$5000. I'm not sure if that could be raised by donations.

The challenge has been put to us.

What say you, Forum members - all 1,259 of us?

Are we up to the challenge?

Will we be able to make the Webmaster's Dream Server a reality?

Question: Who is best served by a mightier server?

Answer: We, the users, viewers, and posters of this site - that’s who.

P.S.- Tomorrow's mail will carry a check to the Webmaster to officially start the quest for a mightier server. Why? Because this site with all of its debates, info (even some of FLL's is useful), and, not to forget, the PhotoPosts (they eat a server and look around for more to satiate their appetite) have provided me with a means of maintaining some degree of sanity, as well as, just plain, good old fashion entertainment. Hope all who feel the same and who are able, will also support the Webmaster's Dream Server.

Thank you, in advance,

GWC...

Last edited by GWC...; 04-11-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
codeman671

Default Server

I have access to a few different configs of new Dell Poweredge 1750 rack mount servers which I can get for far less than Dell direct (I am a wholesaler). The top spec that I have is dual 3.2g xeons, 4gb ddr, 2 36gig drives with 1 open drive bay, redundant power supplies, 2 nics, 2 Pro 1000 MT fiber cards, etc. They come with a 3 year Dell onsite warranty. I could cut one loose at my cost, $2100 in order to help out the site. To order this one from Dell today it would probably cost twice that. They are presold but if someone was interested I could set one aside from the existing order. I have 13 of this type and some lesser configs as well, I do not mind holding one if there is interest out there. My next batch will probably not come for another 2 months once these go.

The only thing that it does not come with is a giant hairdryer to make this ice go away faster!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
Merrymeeting

Question Another option?

Only our great webmaster has all the personal details, support reasons, bandwidth and storage demands, and cost analysis to determine which is better. But it seems that at today's prices, $3000-$5000 would buy a lot of storage, bandwidth, and horsepower from a large scale ISP. Then they would be the ones to worry about the ongoing storage and horsepower increases, backups, etc.

I realize that this would mean some type of subscription fee or contribution campaign on occasion. But one way or another, someone needs to pay for this great site, and it shouldn't totally be on the webmaster.

Just an idea...
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:19 AM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
The top spec that I have is dual 3.2g xeons, 4gb ddr, 2 36gig drives with 1 open drive bay, redundant power supplies, 2 nics, 2 Pro 1000 MT fiber cards, etc.
I don't have a clue what any of that means! However, as someone who uses tons of space on this site with photos and other images I would be more than pleased to contribute to an upgraded server....when the time comes after all of Don's other planned projects.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:06 AM   #10
webmaster

I appreciate the offers of support but please do not send any donations for a new server at this time. If donations are needed when I'm ready to upgrade I'll announce a fundraising drive at that time. I don't think it is fair to collect money for something I may be a long time away from doing.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:09 AM   #11
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting
But it seems that at today's prices, $3000-$5000 would buy a lot of storage, bandwidth, and horsepower from a large scale ISP.
After 9 years of nightmares with ISP/Hosting Services I decided to get my own server last year. I have some unbelievable stories of what they did to me over the years.

Also, as bandwidth and storage needs grew the hosting services costs became prohibitive. Over 10GB of storage and over 75 GB of bandwidth a month is now needed. I also host over 10 domains and sites on the server.

The current Sun Cobalt RAQ-550 server may be a little short on horsepower but at least it is totally in my control and I sleep better knowing that the growing archive of pictures, messages and information is safe.

The next logical step is a more powerful server and the Dell 1750 that codeman671 mentioned is just what I've got my eye on. When the time comes I hope he can still help me out with that great price.

Thanks again for all the offers of support.

Don
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
Pepper

Quote:
You wanna bet? I've got a few ideas brewing already with regard to how we might just be able to raise some "server" funds. A few of the regular forum members should be expecting an email from me shortly.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #13
Pepper

Default Fair enough ...

Quote:
I appreciate the offers of support but please do not send any donations for a new server at this time. If donations are needed when I'm ready to upgrade I'll announce a fundraising drive at that time. I don't think it is fair to collect money for something I may be a long time away from doing.

Thanks.
Fair enough - my ideas could be implemented at any time - you just say the word and I'll be jumping on it!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 PM   #14
GWC...

Wink Is it time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster
The long-term solution to this is to upgrade my server to one with enough power to handle these spikes in activity as well as future growth. I am working on that and it will happen in the next few months.
Does this mean it's time for Pepper to do her thing?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:27 PM   #15
Pepper

Default Patience, my friend ...

The Webmaster is reviewing a few ideas, and will be in touch with me in the near future, at which time I will proceed according to his wishes.

He is an extremely busy man at the moment, with far too many things on his plate at once. Our patience will be greatly appreciated.