Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
feb

Default Golf Comparison

Does anyone have any opinions on Canterbury Woods .vs. Ragged Mountain Golf Course? I've played CW and liked it alot. Want to try Ragged Mountain but don't want to waste those precious vacation days on a crummy course. Has anyone played Ragged? Was it worth it? How does it compare to any other course in the region?

Thx.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I have played both courses, and enjoyed both. I think CW is in better condition. Ragged has a lot of blind shots, and shots that place you near a hazard (often times one that runs across the fairway). The first couple of times we played there, we had a lot of trouble judging distances and what to hit, especially off the tee. Some of the hazards were not visible from the tee and there was nothing to tell you at the tee box how far it was to the hazard or to clear the hazard. The last time we played there (last year), they had yardage books that helped out a lot. It is a fun course to play, but can be costly in lost balls. Several holes require good straight shots, and a hook or slice can find trouble.

Another course I can recommend, because I belong there and have for over three years, is Lochmere on Rtes 3 & 11 in Tilton. It's about a mile and a half or two east of the intersection of Rtes 3-11 and I 93, heading towards Laconia. Ph 528-4653 then press two for the proshop.

Keep your head down, chin in, eye on the ball, weight distributed equally, make a good full turn, don't overswing on the way down, follow through, and finish on balance. Oh yeah, I hope you remember to hit the ball in the middle of all that advice . Enjoy, whereever you play...a bad day on the golf course is far better and more fun than any good day in the office.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
CentreHarborEric

Default Recent experience, Ragged and Canterbury Woods

Just played both last week.
Canterbury was in good shape, struggling a bit with that dry spell, should be better now. Greens were pretty good, but bumpy in places and lots of pitch marks not repaired. Love the course-great layout.
Ragged was in tough shape. New ownership from Utah as of late 06 or early 07 rescued it from bankruptcy. It was rough last year, worse this year. New owners plan lots of improvements to the ski area there first (snowmaking first priority) and the golf course won't get much help until 07/08 apparently. This info came from a woman there who worked under the old ownership and continues under the new. Too bad-this is one of the most challenging layouts I have ever played (I've played all over NH and MA) and the greens used to be superb. Now lots of dead spots in fairways, on greens and the tee boxes. The bridges and walkways are falling apart, there's very little sand left in the bunkers, etc.
BUT, there's no one out there. Played alone and finished in about 3:30, which is refreshing.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
CentreHarborEric

Default Lochmere Friday 6/20

Lochmere was in great shape on Friday. They usually take great care of the course, so this was no surprise.
Greens are nice, receptive to approach shots, probably going to get a bit faster for the state amateur tournament in a couple of weeks.
Hope the cart paths and bunkers held up OK yesterday in those torrential rainstorms!
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Have tried..

Pheasant Ridge - Gilford

Had my first round of the year last week. It's in great shape and and a nice track. (Watch out for #6.. nasty Par 5 for a slicer like me.. )
Old 07-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
Joanna16

Wink

Enjoy Ragged it's about to change.

Also try Ridgewood in Moultonboro - completely worth the vacation day.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
feb

Default Update on Ragged?

Has anyone played ragged this year? Their website talks about improvements planned for 2009. I'm wondering if that means that they are just letting it go this season and not maintaining it or if it is still in fair shape and a good course to play.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
soxie

Anyone have any info on Den Brae golf course in Sanbornton? A friend wants me to join this season.
soxie is offline   Reply With Quote