Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Chickie

Default Ah Nuts!

In remembering childhood memories of autumns passed, my thoughts wander back to the fall ritual of gathering nuts from woodlands each year. Butternuts were readily available for harvesting around this time of the year, but breaking the code on how to free them from their tough shells was another story. I wondered how squirrels were able to do it without breaking a tooth. Did they have tiny hammers hidden away in their burrows per chance? Those nuts were certainly delicious and my mother used them in a special maple cake recipe.

My aunts in Gilford had hickory nut trees on their property and those were also a treasured delicacy. Although I have found butternuts in more recent times, I haven’t seen hickory nuts in years. Perhaps they have died out much like the chestnut trees did? I would be interest to know if there are still hickory nut trees in this area and if anyone harvests them besides the squirrels and other critters.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Ah, Squirrels!

Nice post Chickie! I had never heard of a butternut, except for the squashy kind.

Friends of ours have a lot of nut trees and the squirrels cleaned them all out. I suggested a Have A Heart Trap for next year. Apparently her squirrels stay in the trees because of her cat that is a hunter. I wonder if she could strap the trap to a tree limb?

Squirrels like to chew on various edible and inedible objects to help maintain their sharp teeth, which grow continuously up to 6 inches per year. Chewing prevents over-growth. Their teeth would grow too long - rendering them unable to eat and thus starve to death.

More squirrely facts can be found here.

As far as I can tell, the hickory tree (many varieties) is prevalent from Southern NH on to northern Florida.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote