Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
TomC

Default Mt Chocorua trail recommendation?

My son (~13) is after me to climb up Chocorua this week - so that's on the schedule...

The AMC book has about 6 pages of trails to the summit, so I'm looking to the forum for a recommendation as to the best trail to take - we're both in shape, so no worries about how aggressive the climb. I guess a trailhead that is easy to find and has parking would be helpful too. We'll be going from Moultonboro.

Thanks for any suggestions!
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
carole

I have hike every trail to the summit. I personally like the Piper trail (off Route 16, behind store). If you do it mid-week or early on the weekend it will be less crowded on the trail but all bets are off for the summit as people approach from other trails. It is a beauty. Enjoy.
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Grant

Default Chocorua Trails

From that same trail head off of Rte. 16, you can access the Weetamoo Trail, which is a nice hike. Piper approaches the summit from the east, while Weetamoo winds around the back.

Here are some details, including location of the trail head off of Rte. 16, which is definitely the most convenient from Moultonborough:

Piper Trailhead

Elevation gain: About 2700 feet on the ascent, minor on descent via Piper Trail

Location: Albany - DeLorme NHA&G 41-B8 - [entrance N 43.9396, -71.2261 W]

Trailhead: End of side road off NH Route 16, behind Davies General Store about 6.2 mi. S of NH Route 112, elevation approx. 770 feet
WMNF fee site
If hikers parking lot is not plowed in winter, fee parking is available at the store.

* Via Piper/Nickerson Ledge/Carter Ledge/Middle Sister Trails, 5.0 mi. - add 300' ascent each way
* Via Piper Trail, 4.3 mi.
* Via Piper/Weetamoo/Hammond/Liberty Trails, 4.6 mi. - add 100' ascent each way

It's a great hike -- one of our long-time favorites. Enjoy. You'll be back.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
TomC

Default thanks for the tips so far!

How is the parking fee paid? is there a box at the lot, or is some kind of sticker needed that i have to get in advance? (how much is it?) thx
Old 07-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
carole

There is a fee box at the trailhead. I think it is $5.00 now for a day pass (I buy an annual sticker).
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
TomC

Default finally did this today

...Never made it in July, but hiked Chocorua today. Hit the trailhead at 7am (to beat the heat) and we were the only car in the lot. The fee to park is $3 and when we got back there was a USFS giving tickets to cars w/o a pass...

Anyway, we ascended to the summit via the Piper trail. Very nice climb to the top. It was a little hazy, but we still had nice views. There were a lot of biting black flies at the top, though. Wish there had been more of a breeze.

The descent was via the Liberty to Hammond to Weetamoo then back to the Piper trail. It was a nice change to come down a different trail than the one used to climb up.

It was terrific hike and I can add to the recommendations that people have for this mountain. Incidentally, we saw only about 20 people the entire time from about 7a to 1pm, so it was not crowded whatsoever.