Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
gravy boat

Default Best Quality, Best Price for Vet in LR??

Hi All,

We have been loyal to Lakes Region, but once it became part of the huge VCA the prices seemed to have jumped. With two large breed dogs and two cats we are starting to compare value for quality.

We live in Gilford, so hope to stay Meredith to Alton -- the southern portion of the lake. Can anybody recommend a vet?

We love the staff at VCA -- they have always been wonderful. We just find their prices quite high and believe the VCA corporate must dictate these.

Thanks in advance!
GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
steph57 (10-20-2009)
Old 09-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Dr. MacDonald

We have been very happy with Dr. MacDonald. He previously worked at the NHHS.

He opened an office at 522 Union Ave. His office number is 524-8900 and he even lists his cell number on his business card. We have had to call him on weekends and he has always found a way to help us out.

With the number of cats we have, he has actually made "house calls" when it's time for annual shots, to ease the pain of transporting each cat to his office.

His prices are reasonable and he clearly cares for his "patients".
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs down Area Vets

Seems to have the market to themselves. My Rottweiler, Bette, was in pain with cancer and severe athiritis. I called around to a number of vets to put her to sleep and end her suffering. I ended up having to travel to Londonderry Veterinary Service to have it done. Their price is extremely reasonable and does not require a full exam. Come on Vets! She already had a full exam and was diagnose with cancer and severe athiritis! Why do we need a full exam again just to put her to sleep?????
I have very good luck with Duke, my Siamese cat with Dr. Roy Ball at the Manchester Animal Hospital in Hooksett. VCA has diagnose my former cat as kidney and liver failure with no luck. Dr Ball diagnose the cat as severe diabetic and the cat responded quickly with a diet change.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 10-08-2009 at 11:39 AM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A thought or two

When I see, or hear someone talk about, prices "jumping" for a service that I enjoy, my first thought is "But when did they last raise their price?".

If it has been a few years, or longer, then perhaps it is an inevitable increase. Had they increased the cost of shots, routine office visits etc over the past few years, this contemplation may never had taken place.

With regards to pets, we have two cats, and the staff's interaction with them is almost as important as the care. Great care with no "bedside" manner often doesn't make for a "pleasant" experience for a pet. Great care with bedside manner can make it a pleasant experience.

Bottom line to me, price alone would not be the determining factor in changing vets. The prior vet knows the pets and has history beyond the charts.

Just a thought.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
weim2

Thumbs up Vet Prices

We all know the price of our own health care when we go to our PCP. A vet has alot of college to get through and their supplies are not cheap either. My nephew is in vet school now and it is PRICEY! So please consider this when you need to bring you animal in for a check up. So much overhead. I guess I think it is a bargain.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Paugus Bay Resident

We have also been very happy with Dr. MacDonald. Plus, as mentioned above, he and his wife make house calls. Comes in handy when you have 4 cats
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
pah

We use Interlakes Animal Hospital Located at:
182 Daniel Webster Highway
Meredith, NH 03253

The people and service are great & the prices seem, at least to me, to be in line.
pah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Ropetow

Default not exactly in the Lakes Region but....

Animal Health Center in Rochester is our vet and Dr. Cindy Hoisington and her staff are fantastic. Great bedside manners and great medical care. They also treat you like part of the family. Their prices are more than fair and our feline herd (Rope Tow, Alley Cat, Tigger and Chandler) love them. We adopted Chandler from a shelter last spring and brought him there on our way home for an exam. The found a 'moderate' heart murmur that required an echo test...not cheap. They brought an 'expert' in to do the test and the price was far less than the specialty hospital in Portsmouth would have charged. They also told us to go to Hannaford for the prescription meds (he is on a daily pill) as that is where Dr. Cindy gets prescription meds for her pets. We trust them 100%
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
beancover

I know you specified Meredith to Alton, but if you are willing to drive to Moultonborough, Meadow Pond Animal Hospital is the greatest. They bend over backwards to accommodate their clients and they are very caring and competent. I can't speak to their pricing but that has never been a criteria for me when seeking medical attention for any member of my family. My bottom line is the quality of the care and they are wonderful.
beancover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beancover For This Useful Post:
dpg (10-30-2009)
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
steph57

Default lrvc

I too like Lakes Region Veternary Clinic but today when I took my dog to have teeth cleaned and a cyst lasered it cost me $ 900.00 after being quoted 500.00 2 weeks ago
steph57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default And the answer...

...to your question "Why was I quoted $500 two weeks ago?" was what?

I can see missing a few dollars, but having 80% added is a bit much. I wouldn't like them much anymore.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
gravy boat

Default Steph

Similar experience in July. Our girl needed JUST THE SURGERY and her regular shots. Bill was OVER $1000. I nearly went apoplectic.

I understand that prices increase and the staff is absolutely wonderful at VCA. HOWEVER, I have been there a few times in the last few months to pick up meds, drop off dogs for grooming, surgery, etc., and on more than one occasion I heard other customers gasp when they received the bill for the annual check up. I feel bad for the staff as they have to deal with any complaints or reactions.

Thank you all for your recommendations!! Need to get the cats checked and MacDonald and Interlakes seem to be a common recommendation close to Gilford.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
Similar experience in July. Our girl needed JUST THE SURGERY and her regular shots. Bill was OVER $1000. I nearly went apoplectic.

I understand that prices increase and the staff is absolutely wonderful at VCA. HOWEVER, I have been there a few times in the last few months to pick up meds, drop off dogs for grooming, surgery, etc., and on more than one occasion I heard other customers gasp when they received the bill for the annual check up. I feel bad for the staff as they have to deal with any complaints or reactions.

Thank you all for your recommendations!! Need to get the cats checked and MacDonald and Interlakes seem to be a common recommendation close to Gilford.

GB
We've had a very similar experience with VCA. We pay cash for all our animals' care and find it hard to have a bill for a monthly medication jump by more than 50% with no warning. I'm not one to dispute charges but I do NOT like suprises like that - especially with no warning. Yeah, I grumbled about it.

It really rubbed me the wrong way when we got this glossy magazine in the mail last week from VCA about pet care. I'm sure it's a corporate publication but those things aren't really "free". I don't need more magazines I don't have time to read and will only toss out. I'd prefer the cost of care be kept down so we can continue to be customers because I totally agree the staff is great at VCA Laconia/Gilford.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Lucky1

Default Had good luck with ......

The Vet not far from McDonalds but on the opposite side of the highway near RTE 104 and RTE 3. It was a while ago though as my last pet died a few years ago. Used Meadow Pond a few times way back. Not being able to have pets is a downside of moving about and being in a condo. Sure miss a cat though.

On the plus side of moving about, I am sitting here watching a handglider in the sky behind a boat on the Gulf. Sunny and warm here.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
The Vet not far from McDonalds but on the opposite side of the highway near RTE 104 and RTE 3. It was a while ago though as my last pet died a few years ago. Used Meadow Pond a few times way back. Not being able to have pets is a downside of moving about and being in a condo. Sure miss a cat though.

On the plus side of moving about, I am sitting here watching a handglider in the sky behind a boat on the Gulf. Sunny and warm here.
Meadow Pond in Moultonborough is great. If they do blood work on my cat they often call me shortly after I leave the clinic with the results. They recently hired a third vet to help in their practice. It's a very caring office.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote