Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Bmcgov78

Default Second anchor

I have a 22 ft boat and I was looking to get a second anchor without spending 120 buck. They make those pfc anchors and I was wondering if that would do as a second anchor to use on the sandbars or should I just spend the money
Bmcgov78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Knomad

My recommendation is spend the money and get a lightweight traditional Danforth anchor and rode kit (4lb anchor, 4' chain, 100' anchor line for under $100).
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Kamper

Shop around. WalMart has anchors very cheap. You can get a good deal on chain at any hard-ware store. Also checkout yard sales and flea markets. 'Seasoned' gear may look a little battered but will be just as functional as new. Too bad you didn't post yesterday. I just gave all my left-over gear to my cousin and that included 3 anchors of various sizes.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Happy Gourmand

Parafunalia has a good selection of anchors. They will even attach the rode chain with a clamp and attach the line also. Total cor a #13 anchor, covered chain and 100' of line was under $75.
I also had them order a case of Quicksilver DFI oil (3 in a case) for about $40/gal. Everyplace I've been around the lake gets $50/gal.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Senter Cove Guy

Default Check With Member CAPT PAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcgov78 View Post
I have a 22 ft boat and I was looking to get a second anchor without spending 120 buck. They make those pfc anchors and I was wondering if that would do as a second anchor to use on the sandbars or should I just spend the money
He's got a good selection of used anchors for a reasonable price.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
XCR-700

I have tried a bunch on anchors over the years and had some really bad luck with some.

For Winnipesaukee I have had the best luck with a very traditional fluke style with a good hunk of chain. The kind with the slip-ring are very good should you hook a root or rock, Overtons has them for super short money and NO shipping costs! One word of warning, do not buy an undersized model! Get the right size the first time and you will be happy.

I like the "Chene" models, they are good performers but make sure you use a chain even if they say it is not needed. You can also try the generic fluke anchors, they will certainly do the job for a second anchor.

Someone here recommended the "Digger" anchor to me and all the reviews are very good. But again you need to get the right size, from what I have read.

Good luck!

GH
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
I have tried a bunch on anchors over the years and had some really bad luck with some.

For Winnipesaukee I have had the best luck with a very traditional fluke style with a good hunk of chain. The kind with the slip-ring are very good should you hook a root or rock, Overtons has them for super short money and NO shipping costs! One word of warning, do not buy an undersized model! Get the right size the first time and you will be happy.

I like the "Chene" models, they are good performers but make sure you use a chain even if they say it is not needed. You can also try the generic fluke anchors, they will certainly do the job for a second anchor.

Someone here recommended the "Digger" anchor to me and all the reviews are very good. But again you need to get the right size, from what I have read.

Good luck!

GH
"Digger" anchors kick butt!! No chain required or recommended and they hook and hold very well in any bottom. I love mine!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
cillovely

Our boat is a bit smaller than yours (20') and we only are up there for one week, so we just use a good size fluke style with chain on one end and then we have one of those small mushroom style ones leftover from our small 2 person boat. My hubby jumps in a the sandbar after we get the fluke style secure and makes sure the mushroom style one is set and with those two it holds the boat very well. If we were up there more often (oh how I wish), then we'd re-think it.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
dippasan

I just bought one at a yard sale last week. Look on craigslist also. Just do a search for boat stuff, boat supplies or boat gear etc etc. I see them all the time on there
Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
Toyorelle

Definitely go with the #13 super hooker that you can get at Parafunalia. That, along with a 6 foot heavy coated chain will be more than enough. I have a 27 foot Chapparelle and with those same front and back anchors don't go anywhere even on the days with the northwest winds at the West Alton Sandbar. I've even had other boats tie on to my anchor to keep them from moving. I made the mistake of not having a strong back anchor back in 2002 with my first boat, an 18 footer. I had to stand in the water at the sandbar making sure my boat didn't drift from side to side all day in the chop. First and last time I made that mistake.
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Dave R

Compared to Danforth-style anchors, I like the smaller size and more toe-friendly design of a Lewmar claw as a stern anchor at sandbars. Mine is only 4.4 lbs and does a great job with my 6000 lb boat. It is very easy to kedge with and very easy to store. It buries itself almost completely leaving very little exposed to injure a foot. I use 4 feet of 1/4" chain and about 50 feet of 3/8" nylon 3 strand for a rode. I bet the whole thing cost me less than 40 bucks.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...SHOPPING_81320
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Par Four

Default To minimize foot bonks

I use a small anchor as the stern anchor for sand bars, but not the same type as Dave that buries.

What I've copied from others is to tie a fender to the anchor such that its held floating directly above above the anchor, serves as a visual warning to watch where you're walking. Seems to be very effective.
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par Four View Post

What I've copied from others is to tie a fender to the anchor such that its held floating directly above above the anchor, serves as a visual warning to watch where you're walking. Seems to be very effective.
I do that too... Wish everyone else did. Ouch.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Par Four

[QUOTE=Dave R;208209]C
..l I use 4 feet of 1/4" chain and about 50 feet of 3/8" nylon 3 strand for a rode. I bet the whole thing cost me less than 40 bucks.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...SHOPPING_81320[/

Your boat is quite a bit heavier, and you may do a whole lot more fore&aft anchoring than I, but I just tie directly to the anchor for the stern anchor.

I'm pretty conscious of being a trying to be a good citizen on the water always, but especially when in close proximity at a sand bar. I watch the boat almost continually and I've not seen the need for chain. It seems just fine as a direct tie, and I might typically have 30-40' of rode out there off the stern.

You're right, the whole set up is very inexpensive and works great
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
Dave R

[QUOTE=Par Four;208255]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
C
..l I use 4 feet of 1/4" chain and about 50 feet of 3/8" nylon 3 strand for a rode. I bet the whole thing cost me less than 40 bucks.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...SHOPPING_81320[/

Your boat is quite a bit heavier, and you may do a whole lot more fore&aft anchoring than I, but I just tie directly to the anchor for the stern anchor.

I'm pretty conscious of being a trying to be a good citizen on the water always, but especially when in close proximity at a sand bar. I watch the boat almost continually and I've not seen the need for chain. It seems just fine as a direct tie, and I might typically have 30-40' of rode out there off the stern.

You're right, the whole set up is very inexpensive and works great
I suspect you are right about the chain, but I just can't be seen with no chain in my rode, it just feels wrong...