Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
KarmaGirl

Default Gunstock Conditions this Weekend?

Does anyone know what the skiing conditions will be this weekend? Will Gunstock be able to groom Saturday am?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGirl View Post
Does anyone know what the skiing conditions will be this weekend? Will Gunstock be able to groom Saturday am?

I'd guess "Spring Conditions" even if there is a little snow on the back side of this storm it has been really warm the past couple of weeks and with all this rain I'd expect nothing shy of wet "mashed potato" snow.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:13 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ...how's this for a caption

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...other-bad-year

..... hopefully, not all that bad .... still plenty wonderful winter left to go!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Gunstock

Ski Wednesday. It was not that bad. Spring skiing in the sun with frozen granular in the shade. Just the major trails open with ice spots. No bare spots yet!

They groom after the slopes are close. No morning groom or noon groom. If its freezing on opening, the slopes will be frozen granular. By ten it will be soft.

My strategy is to do first track and hit all the slopes by ten. Then cruise the good slope/trails till about 11. By that time I did a dozen runs. I'm done.

Thursday I ski Waterville. 'Silver Streak'. Had a blast and the conditions were great! I will be back to WV Wednesday for the Silver Streak race. 300 new snow guns made a huge difference.

Cannon has been phenomenal this season. 500 new snow guns running 24/7 whenever the temperature allows it. Looking for a late closing.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Shrimpbrain

Speaking of Gunstock, why hasn't this Ski Area been sold to a Private Company and Tax Payers don't have to deal with the cost? It seems it flounders every year. The Crew who run it seems to take advantage for their own personal gains. CYA, their pay checks....
Shrimpbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
BoatHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpbrain View Post
Speaking of Gunstock, why hasn't this Ski Area been sold to a Private Company and Tax Payers don't have to deal with the cost? It seems it flounders every year. The Crew who run it seems to take advantage for their own personal gains. CYA, their pay checks....
I completely disagree with you. Gunstock is an incredible asset for the community both in Winter and in Summer. This winter has been very difficult for all ski areas and I think the management at Gunstock has done a great job. If it ever went private, you can expect to pay 2x or more than you do now.
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Blyblvrd

BoatHouse I couldn’t agree with you more. My fear is it would fall into private hands and follow the path of Tenney Mountain. We need year round tourism in the lakes region.

Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #8
Reilly

Default Gunstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpbrain View Post
Gunstock is a year round asset that is the best thing to have happened for Belknap County, but then again your name says it all
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default County Own property

I don't think the property can be sold. Yes it is a valuable piece of property.

I think the property should be privately managed like Wachusett or Sunapee. There is too much bickering between the Gunstock Commission, The Belknap County commission and The Belknap County Delegation. No one knows how to run a ski resort. Just take a look at Wachusett. Direct competitor with Gunstock, both battling the same market, the Boston Region. Ski Wachusett and you will find an incredible experience. Not so with Gunstock.

Two major problem with Gunstock is the location. Very close to the seacoast so there is warmer weather and there is not much accommodations for skiers in the area. Not much you can do about the location, but Gilford can make the area road more assessable for the hospitality industry. Case in point, a developer envision a condo/hotel/boutique shop complex like Town Square in Waterville at the former Alberg Inn property. The developer ask to have the sewage extended to the spot from the bottom of the hill in front of alpine ridge road to connect to the Gunstock sewage. The Belknap County Commission like the idea but Town of Gilford refuse. Just think of the taxes gain through the years with that investment!

As you can see in the papers, The county and associated municipalities see the county as a cash cow to pay for expenses. You can't run a business that way and this is where the problem is. They desperately need professional planning and forecasting as well as a professional managing the resort.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #10
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
Gunstock is a year round asset that is the best thing to have happened for Belknap County, but then again your name says it all
Probably didn't have to throw that last remark in there, JMO.

Last edited by Biggd; 03-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
JMR

Default Conditions

Since this started with a question about conditions, I thought I would try to help. I have skiied about 20 days at Gunstock this year. Gunstock has had very good conditions all season, in my opinion. Even when it was bitterly cold, the skiing was very good. Compared to other ski areas that I have visited this year, Gunstock has done a better job of preserving it's snow and thus better conditions.

I haven't been there in a few days, so I do not know how Gunstock fared last weekend, but after the storm later this week, I am looking forward to returning.

If you think farming is weather dependent, try skiing in New England!

Nonetheless, I look forward to Ice Out! Skiing is what I do to pass the winters!
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #12
Shrimpbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Probably didn't have to throw that last remark in there, JMO.

Thank's Biggd, That's was just a typical response from those type of people.
Shrimpbrain is offline   Reply With Quote