Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Standbyme
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Stuck in Back Bay

Well still unable to fit under Back Bay bridge in Wolfeboro to access open water. 20’ Key West DC didn’t have a problem last year but this year she hasn’t powered up yet I know sucks to be me. I’ll keep hoping but next year moving on. My question is where can I find a reasonable $ boat slip near Wolfeboro without taking a second mortgage. Roberts Cove? Melvin Village? Thanks
Standbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,657
Thanks: 850
Thanked 410 Times in 263 Posts
Default

You might want to try Parker Marina in Alton. On their CL ads they say they have slips available. I know they have a bridge situation too...not sure what the height limits are though. I have been on a slip waiting list for 3 years and counting but I don’t want to travel farther than the Laconia area from where I live.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
hd333 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,452
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Maybe lower the boat in the water. Just like removing air from the tires on a big truck that's a wee bit too tall to pass underneath a highway bridge; maybe removing the bilge drain plug and lowering the boat by six-12" could do it?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-17-2019), VitaBene (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
WJT2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Foxborough MA
Posts: 114
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 2
Thanked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Default

remove windshield and forward rails.
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WJT2 For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
MIKE RGR
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stuck also

It looked like we might be able to get under BBB by the weekend and then they
lowered the outflow to 245.

Still hovering at 504.27,,,,about 2 inches too high for me
MIKE RGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #6
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,495
Thanks: 931
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Question Free Beer?

Load the boat to full capacity.

You'll need a crowd.

Maybe free ice cream or free beer will provide incentive?
__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...

...and you won't stink...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 534
Thanked 542 Times in 348 Posts
Default Add weight?

Put three inches of water in the bilge and pump it out when you're under the bridge.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
ThePlut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Ballast system

When I used to keep my boat at Parker Marine, which also has a low bridge issue, my dealer offered the idea of a ballast system, like the wake boats use, to help weigh down the boat to lower it in the water. It would then be pumped out. Because the water fills a container, and has it's own pump, it's safer than just flooding your bilge and just hope the bilge pump works.

It's a thought, and such a system may pay for itself after a couple years of slip rentals. Given the sheer volume of people I see looking for slips these days, I have a feeling prices are only going up for awhile...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 807
Thanks: 168
Thanked 269 Times in 162 Posts
Default Stuck in Back Bay

Forget about a ballast system, stop worrying about the outflow, ignore the 504.??, just do the simple solution - excavate a deeper channel.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
burgerunh
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Forget about a ballast system, stop worrying about the outflow, ignore the 504.??, just do the simple solution - excavate a deeper channel.

Excavating a deeper channel is not going to change the static level of the water in the lake or the clearance under the bridge. It will just make a deeper channel.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,452
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Here's another, faster way to get all the water out of the bilge without using the bilge pump. Remove the drain plug, get moving forward, up on plane, and all the bilge water will quickly exit out the open drain in the stern.

The forward movement of the boat creates a reverse reaction on the water in the bilge so it drains out fast.

You could remove the drain plug in Back Bay, exit under the low bridge, and power forward to empty the bilge ..... and re-install drain plug.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,307
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Forget about a ballast system, stop worrying about the outflow, ignore the 504.??, just do the simple solution - excavate a deeper channel.
Hmmm...interesting math your using there.
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (07-21-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #13
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 534
Thanked 542 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
Excavating a deeper channel is not going to change the static level of the water in the lake or the clearance under the bridge. It will just make a deeper channel.
Well, Camp Guy, you threw out the hook and caught two so far. ROTF-LMAO.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
znh (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,495
Thanks: 931
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Arrow Lowering Won't Work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
Excavating a deeper channel is not going to change the static level of the water in the lake or the clearance under the bridge. It will just make a deeper channel.
Wolfeboro's Back Bay is part of a river.

Excavating (dredging) a deeper channel would speed up the flow, thereby lowering the river; however, this lowering wouldn't be sufficient to solve the clearance issue being discussed. IMHO.
__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...

...and you won't stink...

Last edited by ApS; 07-18-2019 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Back Bay, not Bay Bay...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,617
Thanks: 52
Thanked 712 Times in 292 Posts
Default

Your best long term solution might be to buy a a different boat.... the price of slips is an ever increasing cost....

Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #16
brk-lnt
Senior Member
 
brk-lnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Down Shores
Posts: 1,818
Thanks: 487
Thanked 526 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
Excavating a deeper channel is not going to change the static level of the water in the lake or the clearance under the bridge. It will just make a deeper channel.
Well technically that would depend on how deep you dig the channel.
Trench down far enough, and you'll lower the collective water level.
Don't have time to do all the math, but I think if you dug a channel 20' wide, by 1000' long and 900' deep, you'd have somewhere around the equivalent of 1 months outflow.

(of course, the dam is what really regulates the water level, so that excavation would have to happen relatively quickly, and then the lake would fill back up).

Maybe a very high powered turbine that sucks the water out of the back bay and pushes it into the rest of the lake?

Or, we could go the other direction on solving this problem and maybe build a trebuchet that launches the boats up and over the bridge?
__________________
[insert witty phrase here]
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #17
Y2K
Junior Member
 
Y2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest Connecticut
Posts: 9
Thanks: 30
Thanked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Well technically that would depend on how deep you dig the channel.
Trench down far enough, and you'll lower the collective water level.
Don't have time to do all the math, but I think if you dug a channel 20' wide, by 1000' long and 900' deep, you'd have somewhere around the equivalent of 1 months outflow.

(of course, the dam is what really regulates the water level, so that excavation would have to happen relatively quickly, and then the lake would fill back up).

Maybe a very high powered turbine that sucks the water out of the back bay and pushes it into the rest of the lake?

Or, we could go the other direction on solving this problem and maybe build a trebuchet that launches the boats up and over the bridge?
I think we are missing the obvious answer here. Rebuild the bridge and road higher!

However, would pay much money to see the boat launching trebuchet. Maybe the money from that can pay for the trench and/or new bridge....
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Y2K For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (07-21-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #18
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,495
Thanks: 931
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Wink "We Need A Smaller Boat"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Your best long term solution might be to buy a a different boat.... the price of slips is an ever increasing cost....
Woodsy
Finally, I can agree with Woodsy.

Forget catapulting. A short-term "solution" would be to rent a trailer and bypass the bridge.

Give up tubing, stay slipped in Back Bay—change the direction of your boating experience altogether—for the price of a Ford F-150:



More "Affordable" Submarines: https://m.outdoorrevival.com/instant...submarine.html
__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...

...and you won't stink...

Last edited by ApS; 07-19-2019 at 04:37 AM. Reason: More "Affordable" Submarines
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #19
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,452
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Don't places like Brussels, Amsterdam, and Paris have some very old bridges crossing their canals that are arched high enough so a boat can pass underneath.

Seems like Wolfeboro maybe could have designed better by having an arch type of a bridge as opposed to a low, flat bridge that's level with the road. Something like that beautiful old Weirs Beach bridge that crosses up and over the railroad tracks to get to Simpson Ave.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #20
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,668
Thanks: 463
Thanked 825 Times in 574 Posts
Default

Can't you just see a high bridge in Wolfeboro? It would look ridiculous in the middle of town but dangerous for traffic and pedestrians.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #21
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,764
Thanks: 340
Thanked 518 Times in 295 Posts
Default

It amazes me here in the Forum that we never seem to answer the question asked by the OP ………… instead we reply with silly antidotes about filling his boat with water to lower it, trenching the channel, building a new bridge, etc etc


No one (other than Hillcountry) offered an answer to Standbyme's question ……… He NEVER asked how to get out of Back Bay …… he no doubt has a trailer and has already solved the short term problem


Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbyme View Post
My question is where can I find a reasonable $ boat slip near Wolfeboro without taking a second mortgage. Roberts Cove? Melvin Village? Thanks
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #22
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 23
Thanked 333 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Finally, I can agree with Woodsy.

Forget catapulting. A short-term "solution" would be to rent a trailer and bypass the bridge.

Give up tubing, stay slipped in Back Bay—change the direction of your boating experience altogether—for the price of a Ford F-150:

It is yellow therefore we could all live in it as well.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #23
Wifi-1
Senior Member
 
Wifi-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 105
Thanks: 86
Thanked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Great camo for Braun Bay
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #24
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Thanks: 17
Thanked 161 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbyme View Post
Well still unable to fit under Back Bay bridge in Wolfeboro to access open water. 20’ Key West DC didn’t have a problem last year but this year she hasn’t powered up yet I know sucks to be me. I’ll keep hoping but next year moving on. My question is where can I find a reasonable $ boat slip near Wolfeboro without taking a second mortgage. Roberts Cove? Melvin Village? Thanks
Are you looking to rent or buy? If buy, I think you will find all are expensive. I think the last Pier 19 slip sold for something in the area of 70 - 80k. It is supply & demand. Lots of new boaters but no new slips. Same with rental slips but, if you are in the right place at the right time you can get lucky. I have seen rack storage at places like Harilla for sale. They are cheap comparatively but not inexpensive.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #25
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,171
Thanks: 450
Thanked 546 Times in 369 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Are you looking to rent or buy? If buy, I think you will find all are expensive. I think the last Pier 19 slip sold for something in the area of 70 - 80k. It is supply & demand. Lots of new boaters but no new slips. Same with rental slips but, if you are in the right place at the right time you can get lucky. I have seen rack storage at places like Harilla for sale. They are cheap comparatively but not inexpensive.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Absolutely correct. In 2006-2007 slips in South Down were going for over 100k then the recession hit and they dropped below 70k and rental also dipped. Now prices have been driven back up. It’s all about the economy.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #26
GTO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 982
Thanks: 259
Thanked 297 Times in 139 Posts
Default You're right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
It amazes me here in the Forum that we never seem to answer the question asked by the OP ………… instead we reply with silly antidotes about filling his boat with water to lower it, trenching the channel, building a new bridge, etc etc


No one (other than Hillcountry) offered an answer to Standbyme's question ……… He NEVER asked how to get out of Back Bay …… he no doubt has a trailer and has already solved the short term problem
Those were some pretty ridiculous solutions if indeed they were stuck in back bay. If that was the case, a simple draw bridge would be a simple solution. That way I could get my boat into back bay.
__________________
GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTO For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #27
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 135
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
It is yellow therefore we could all live in it as well.
Just ask The Beatles!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #28
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,317
Thanks: 343
Thanked 424 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Excavating the channel would lower the lake, but you would have to do a lot of excavation. When I jump in the water, the lake level rises, when I get out, it lowers. Just an infinitesimal amount, but it happens.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #29
Woodguy53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Stuck in back bay

Stayed at a cottage in ROBERTS cove a couple weeks ago. Looked like they had a few open slips.
My boat is in a slip at Parker’s - bridge can be tight at times. Last week some of the pontoons were ‘really close’ to the top.
Woodguy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #30
Merrymeeting
Senior Member
 
Merrymeeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Merrymeeting Lake, New Durham
Posts: 2,005
Thanks: 245
Thanked 688 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Why not just put it on a trailer and drop it in/out from the public ramps in Wolfeboro until the water level drops? Surprised the marina owners haven't offered to do this already.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #31
barefootbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 265
Thanks: 19
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Can't you just see a high bridge in Wolfeboro? It would look ridiculous in the middle of town but dangerous for traffic and pedestrians.
How about a drawbridge ! Lol
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #32
chris410
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Your best long term solution might be to buy a a different boat.... the price of slips is an ever increasing cost....

Woodsy
Sounds like the most logical answer... To me one of the best perks of owning water front is having your own dock that you can launch your boat from.
chris410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #33
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbyme View Post
Well still unable to fit under Back Bay bridge in Wolfeboro to access open water. 20’ Key West DC didn’t have a problem last year but this year she hasn’t powered up yet I know sucks to be me. I’ll keep hoping but next year moving on. My question is where can I find a reasonable $ boat slip near Wolfeboro without taking a second mortgage. Roberts Cove? Melvin Village? Thanks
have you tried going up to the bridge to see how much room there is? I had a slip there in 1998 at the Wolftrap during the lake wide no wake due to heavy rains and flooding. I bet it was higher then as we did not have a lakewide no wake this year and I was able to get my 20' bowrider under bridge by my wife pushing against the underside of the bridge and this pushed the boat down enough to get under.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #34
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default bridge

just looked at a 20' Key West DC on line, don't know if you have the center console version or the bowrider version but either way it does not appear the windshield is any higher than my bow rider was when back there in 98 and the water was higher that year. if you have a bimini frame like I saw in the photos, that would need to be removed.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #35
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
It amazes me here in the Forum that we never seem to answer the question asked by the OP ………… instead we reply with silly antidotes about filling his boat with water to lower it, trenching the channel, building a new bridge, etc etc


No one (other than Hillcountry) offered an answer to Standbyme's question ……… He NEVER asked how to get out of Back Bay …… he no doubt has a trailer and has already solved the short term problem
because there is no answer to his question. There are no reasonably priced slips for sale or rent. And there are are waiting lists everywhere.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #36
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 199
Thanks: 32
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
have you tried going up to the bridge to see how much room there is? I had a slip there in 1998 at the Wolftrap during the lake wide no wake due to heavy rains and flooding. I bet it was higher then as we did not have a lakewide no wake this year and I was able to get my 20' bowrider under bridge by my wife pushing against the underside of the bridge and this pushed the boat down enough to get under.
I hope she didn't get too much bubble gum on her hands (bubble gum dangling from the underside of the bridge)!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.32925 seconds