Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
MeredithMan

Default Sonos Music Systems...

Hi Everyone--

Does anyone have experience with Sonos Music Systems? Do you like it? Is it as easy to use as advertised? What do the subscription fees for Pandora or other internet music services run?

Thanks for any insight you might have.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
brk-lnt

I'm familiar with Sonos, though we don't use them (too expensive for what you get, IMO).

Pandora One is $36/year, and very worth it (IMO).

My music distribution system is based on Apple's Air Sharing. We have an AppleTV or Airport Express for each zone. A couple of rooms have a cheap AirShare-enabled radio (Like the Boston Acoustics MC200), but most have in-wall speakers hard-wired back to a central amp.

Using software and apps from Rogue Amoeba http://rogueamoeba.com/ you can stream audio from any source on a PC (OS X or Windows) to any Air Share device. You can also run a client on a machine to RECEIVE airshare media. In one room I have a Mac Mini that acts as a jukebox and media server, I can stream music FROM it or TO it.

They have some nice apps as well for controlling things remotely. Overall it's a fairly cheap system, compared to other options, that gives you a lot more flexibility.

More than once we've had multiple streams going to multiple sources. My wife is listening to Pandora One being stream from an iPod Touch in the master bathroom wirelessly to overhead speakers in the bath/bedroom, and I'm streaming something else to the outdoor speakers and workshop speakers.
MeredithMan (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Convertible Girl

Default Love Sonos!!

I have had the Sonos system for close to two years now and I absolutely love it. We have the Sonos Play 3 in our living room and then I have two Connect amps that go with two different sets of speakers on two different outdoor decks. The sound on the Play 3 is perfect for the space it is in. I usually just use Pandora through all of those but I also have an Internet subscription to Sirius XM which you can use just as easily as Pandora. Pandora is free and the Sirius XM internet subscription is $7.99 per month. You can also play tons of digital radio stations through Sonos as well as playing your iPod/iphone music directly to the system without having to dock it. Sonos is easy to use and you can download the controller to your android or iPhone/iPad products. Sonos is easily expandable to different areas of your home, although I wouldn't say the components are inexpensive. Overall I have had no difficulties with it and would highly recommend it.
Convertible Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Convertible Girl For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
pjard

I have the Sonos Playbar with Subwoofer and I just recently added two Play 1's for surround sound. I also have a Play 5 in my living room stictly for music. I love the system. It's expensive, no doubt but worth every nickel. The interface to Pandora is seemless and works great. Getting to iTunes is a bit klunky for me but I think that "operator error" on my part. Anyway, I love the system.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
MeredithMan

Default Sonos Music System...

Thanks folks, for the replies thus far. The previous owner of my house installed speakers in pretty much every room and ran the wires to a central location, but they are not hooked up to anything, (i.e., all hanging in a utility closet, but at least labeled for each room). My very limited understanding of Sonos is that each room could be a zone and each zone would have separate tuning and volume controls via a smartphone, tablet, etc, and each zone can be added a la carte, so as not to have a huge expense all at once.

Thanks for the advice.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Red apple

Sonos is a good system and yes you can add on zones. Each Sonos amplifier can handle 4 speakers so you may be able to start with a few and do multiple rooms. The only downside is if 2 rooms are hooked up to one amplifier they will have the same source and same volume level. If you're house is wired with volume controls you should check with Sonos as most systyms with digital amplifiers do not work and sound correct with them. You can remove them if easily if needed. The only downside of Sonos is that it is a music only system and does not do any automation and cannot control tv's and other audio video equipment. We have a Control-4 www.conteol4.com system that does the audio and also controls our lights, HVAC, alarm and other items and the price point to get the just audio part was close to the Sonos but we were able to add on as we wanted. If you just want to listen to music and you are happy with the same source throughout the house you can purchase a speakers selector box with or without volume controls, a amplifier or even a receiver will work and add one Sonos unit and you're done. There are allot of options out there so deciding on what you want now and long range is important so you get the right components.
Just my 2 cents 🔊🔉🔈
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
fodalo

Default Sonos

Great system add on any time wireless, the sound is full great bass good mids and highs well worth the money, run it off your smartphone as remote with the downloaded music great entertainment.

Does anyone have experience with Sonos Music Systems? Do you like it? Is it as easy to use as advertised? What do the subscription fees for Pandora or other internet music services run?

Thanks for any insight you might have.

MM[/QUOTE]
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
NoBozo

Default Pandora

I went to Pandora (Country Music ) and was VERY Impressed with the selection...AND if you didn't like the piece playing you could click to the Next piece. And it's FREE. I like FREE.

Once you are On, the music continues. Click ahead to the next piece..no problem. Explore Further... and you get a lock out screen that wants your email address and other "sensitive" info..IMHO.

BACK OUT and try again and the same thing.

SO: I remove Cookies and Re-Boot the computer. Good. I'm back in. So I guess if I want FREE Music I will have to Re-Boot and Remove Cookies Every Time...OR GIVE them my info......AND start to get FREE Advertising via email.

The MUSIC was Good...They want my INFO not so good. NB

I always knew there was no free lunch.

PS: I am not interested in streaming music to anything other than my computer. No sound systems throughout the house. JUST the computer.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
The MUSIC was Good...They want my INFO not so good. NB
You can always setup a throwaway email address...

Keep in mind that Pandora has to pay a fee for every song streamed as part of their licensing agreement. Even for the songs you skip through, so if you hear 1 note of the song it cost them something (granted, I think it's less than 1 cent per stream).

Personally, I love Pandora, we use it a lot. I pay the annual subscription and purchase some songs through Pandora affiliate links to help support them.
NoBozo (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
You can always setup a throwaway email address...
I'm not sure what that means....BUT I had an email address that I dropped because I dropped the carrier. I used it a few times afterward on another forum and it Still worked.. even though the email address was DEAD...Is this what you are addressing..??

Anyhow: I Stopped doing that because I thought it was Dis-Honest. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm not sure what that means....BUT I had an email address that I dropped because I dropped the carrier. I used it a few times afterward on another forum and it Still worked.. even though the email address was DEAD...Is this what you are addressing..??

Anyhow: I Stopped doing that because I thought it was Dis-Honest. NB
I mean use a service like http://mailinator.com/ that let's you create an email address that isn't linked to any personal info.
NoBozo (11-21-2013)
Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
jerryplasma

Default sonos wifi music

hello everyone, there has been many questions on sonos so i thought i would try to help! My name is jerry boyson and my company Lake winni home theater lakewinnitv.com is a factory authorized sonos dealer ! we have installed many sonos systems, routers, tv sound systems all over the lake ect, if any one needs any info or a free in home consultation i would be glad to schedule one with you even if your out on an island i live on long island moultonboro year round! my retail store is located next to kayak store at the welcome to moultonboro sign rt 25, 4 whittier highway moltonboro, thnks jerry
jerryplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So hadn't really heard of Sonos before, so after doing a quick search and learning a bit about the product I will say the following...

If you are a real audio file the Sonos Stereo Amp module is only capable of 55W per channel, and only capable of driving two wired speakers, not 4 as was indicated in an earlier post. I use high quality speakers, and 55W peak per channel continuous just isn't enough. 80 continuous is about the lowest I would go... My good stereo amp is rated at 120 per channel for comparison... But Hey I realize not everyone enjoys music the way I do....

I believe if you invest in a good quality amp which will drive several sets of speakers, the connect module would be the way to go, however as some one has pointed, out that would not give the flexibility that you want as everyone would be stuck listening to the same thing....

Just some thoughts.... to think about...
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
jerryplasma

Default sonos

hello, the sonos amps are two ohm stable per the factory rep at my store two weeks ago, but i recommend using impedance matching splitter! You can easily drive two areas / one zone ie; deck speakers and landscape speakers off one amp because you would not want separate zones so close together! then use a connect to run your high end system in the theater or sound room for audiophiles and now your high end speakers now become a sonos zone! without using those low end speakers you speak of that is the beauty of sonos the app is extremely easy to use and anyone can access their personal music files , kids, house guest renters and play there own music in seperate zones! you dont ever even have to buy a sonos amp to have multiple zones running, thnks for input, jerry owner lake winni home theater sonos dealer jerryplasma@gmail.com
jerryplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #15
RLW

Smile

jerryplasma, I just noticed that you new to posting on the forum but have belonged for sometime. We're glad you have joined us and hope you have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
Gatto Nero

I don't know too much about Sonos as I use Apple AirPlay throughout my place. But from what I just read Sonos seems to be all about wireless. You said that there previous owner installed wired speakers throughout the house with home runs back to a central location. That being the case you have no need for Sonos' major feature. Depending on how many zones you are looking for you might want to look at something like the Audiosoirce Amp 1200 and an Apple Airport express. All in you're looking at maybe $650. With that, an iPhone, iPad or computer you can steam whatever source you like to it such iTunes Radio, Pandora, Spotfly or now Amazon Music. If you want to have different sources for each zone just buy more Airport Expresses for $99 each.
MeredithMan (06-15-2014)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #17
cinemaesque

Default Sonos in the Lakes Region of NH

Have a sonos system put in by 1080 security and home theatre. Owned by Cinemaesque, and have been doing home theatre for 20+ years.

www.facebook.com/cinemaesquenh

Sonos play 5, sonos play bar. Also, we have a classified ad for a traded in bowers and wilkins soundbar.

Last edited by cinemaesque; 12-15-2015 at 08:28 AM.
cinemaesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #18
cinemaesque

Default Cinemaesque is your local direct sonos dealer

Cinemaesque is your local SONOS GOLD dealer, serving all of NH.
Based in Gilford and Chocorua, NH, Cinemaesque is your local home theater company, serving Lake Winnipesaukee. CALL 603-387-7691 today to contact Cinemaesque. http://www.facebook.com/cinemaesquenh
http://www.cinemaesquehometheater.com
Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #19
Hillcountry

We were given one as a wedding gift from a friend. We love it and I donít know much about it as far as how it works or what the actual equipment is.
Seems to work fine though. Wifey sets all these gizmos up.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #20
joey2665

I love my Sonos. I usedJim Nichols from A Plus in Moultonborough. He installed my alarm and entrainment system. Even includes my sprinklers and outside lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #21
WinnisquamZ

Been a Sonos user for 12 years. Have two 5ís two 1ís, a bridge and amp running Bose out door speakers. Very happy thru the years. Only issue was Bose speakers on amp cutting out. Swapped sonos channel from eleven to six and resolved the issue

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #22
Pineedles

Since Sonos users are reading this old thread, thought I could pose a question. I use Alexa echo dot and it is connected to my Sonos unit downstairs. I used to have Alexa play music solely on that unit., and occasionally speak to the Sonos unit to play though that unit only. Problem now is that when I command the Alexa echo to play music, it only plays through the Sonos unit. I must say Alexa, play Bach on Spotify on Echo dot, in order for. It to only play on the dot. What did I do?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #23
WinnisquamZ

Not a Alexa user, but I believe each speaker must be Alexa compatible to play Sonos offers both types.

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-22-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #24
cinemaesque

Default Sonos dealer serving nh

Cinemaesque Home Theater is a SONOS GOLD DEALER serving the Lakes Region of NH.

Call 603-387-7691 for the best rated Sonos dealer in New Hampshire. We are direct with Sonos. There are many reasons to deal with a direct dealer.

http://www.facebook.com/cinemaesquenh

http://www.cinemaesquehometheater.com