Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
colt17

Default Tapas Restaurant

Just noticed a new tapas restaurant opening in Feb in Laconia. Looking forward to trying it out.

http://www.tavern27.com/
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Shore Driver

Cool! Right up the road. Previous tenants were not worthy of my restaurant dollars, and they let the chip n putt go all to pot. New owners looked like they mowed in Oct when I last was up.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
baygo

Default Menu Items From $1 and Up

Greetings neighbors. This is not a rumor. Tapas is coming to the Lakes Region. This post is straight from the proprietor. We hope to open for a grace period with limited seating in late April. This grace period is intended to provide our staff the opportunity to refine its skills and our neighbors the opportunity to share their feedback with us.

The grace period may be lengthy and will be experienced by invitation only. All who wish to be on the invited guest list should visit http://www.tavern27.com and follow the instructions for consideration to be added.

We will post to this forum once we are officially open.

Last edited by baygo; 04-23-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Changed opening target
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
angela4design

Default Seriously?

Really? You would turn away business that might casually stop by?

There's no way I would make an appointment for CONSIDERATION to TRY an establishment!

Invitation only? I feel UN-invited by this post, and have no idea WHY on earth you would post such an un-welcoming thing!

I hope you have a long list of people waiting to get in, because unless you do, this post was a BIG mistake!

A 'lengthy' period of 'Invitation only'... Oh my word! (If your employees need that long to get used to serving, you might want better employees!)

I hope you're kidding. Businesses already struggle, so I really hope that they are beating down the door. Where are you again?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
Bluebell (01-17-2010)
Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
baygo

Default Our Team Will Do Much More Than Serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
Really? You would turn away business that might casually stop by?

Invitation only? I feel UN-invited by this post, and have no idea WHY on earth you would post such an un-welcoming thing!

I hope you have a long list of people waiting to get in, because unless you do, this post was a BIG mistake!

A 'lengthy' period of 'Invitation only'... Oh my word! (If your employees need that long to get used to serving, you might want better employees!)
As I stated; the grace period will have limited seating. Very limited. There has been an overwhelming interest in what we are doing. I'd hate for you to drive out and find you can't be seated. We have additional seating that we plan to expand to as we get closer to summer season.

The grace period is not only for our staff to work out the kinks, its a period for us to get a complete understanding of what our local market desires.

I do not intend to insult those who'd rather not be on our list. I do intend to reward those who choose to.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (01-24-2010), ishoot308 (01-18-2010), jetskier (01-18-2010), Pepper (01-18-2010), Resident 2B (01-18-2010), SteveA (01-18-2010), upthesaukee (01-17-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Soft Opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
As I stated; the grace period will have limited seating. Very limited. There has been an overwhelming interest in what we are doing. I'd hate for you to drive out and find you can't be seated. We have additional seating that we plan to expand to as we get closer to summer season.

The grace period is not only for our staff to work out the kinks, its a period for us to get a complete understanding of what our local market desires.

I do not intend to insult those who'd rather not be on our list. I do intend to reward those who choose to.
Perhaps a better term for what you are doing is soft opening as opposed to grace period. Regardless, best of luck.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
baygo (02-21-2011)
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Most quality restaurants do this. They offer a limited menu to select local area patrons and have a few trial runs. This ensures most opening issues have been taken care of and the customer gets what they deserve both food and service wise from the get go.

I commend them for doing this and wish them well.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
baygo (01-18-2010), brk-lnt (01-18-2010), jetskier (01-18-2010), Pepper (01-18-2010), robmac (01-19-2010), SteveA (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Winnigirl83

Quote:

All who wish to be on the invited guest list should visit http://www.tavern27.com and follow the instructions for consideration to be added.
I understand the want/need to do a soft opening. What offended me was their website asking me for a "brief paragraph stating why" I should be invited.
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 View Post
I understand the want/need to do a soft opening. What offended me was their website asking me for a "brief paragraph stating why" I should be invited.
How else would someone new to the area try to find people who might actually be able to offer useful and constructive feedback?

I thought their offer was pretty generous. They want to do things right, and are using resources like this forum to get the message out there.

Personally, I find it disappointing that another new restaurant owner comes on here and before they have even served their first dish people are bitching about petty things.
baygo (01-18-2010), EricP (01-23-2010), hazelnut (01-24-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Winnigirl83

I’m not “bitching about petty things”. In fact I wasn’t trying to bitch at all – really, I wasn’t. I was honestly trying to let them know how I felt. When I first read it yesterday, I didn’t respond because I wasn’t sure if I was being overly sensitive. Then I saw A4D’s response and realized I may not be the only one to feel this way.

They said they want honest feedback and that was all I was trying to do. I was honestly offended by having to prove myself to get on the invite list. The way I took it was if they approve of me, then I can come to their restaurant. It just makes me think that I wouldn’t be welcome when they do open to the public. If I took their message the wrong way, I apologize.

Maybe they could choose at random from all the responses they get. Or they thanked the boys and girls club and other volunteers that have helped them get things going (which is great), maybe they could use these volunteers or their families?

When they do open to the public, I will certainly give them a try – if they’ll have me!

baygo-
best of luck! No hard feelings?
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
angela4design

Quote:
I was honestly offended by having to prove myself to get on the invite list. The way I took it was if they approve of me, then I can come to their restaurant. It just makes me think that I wouldn’t be welcome when they do open to the public.
That's how I took it, as well. I can understand 'soft opening'... standard practice, but having to complete instructions with a "brief paragraph stating why"? I just have this vision of being stopped at the door and asked who I am and why I expect to get in.

The tone taken leaves me turned off.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
dpg

Quote:
I’m not “bitching about petty things”. In fact I wasn’t trying to bitch at all – really, I wasn’t. I was honestly trying to let them know how I felt. When I first read it yesterday, I didn’t respond because I wasn’t sure if I was being overly sensitive. Then I saw A4D’s response and realized I may not be the only one to feel this way.

They said they want honest feedback and that was all I was trying to do. I was honestly offended by having to prove myself to get on the invite list. The way I took it was if they approve of me, then I can come to their restaurant. It just makes me think that I wouldn’t be welcome when they do open to the public. If I took their message the wrong way, I apologize.

Maybe they could choose at random from all the responses they get. Or they thanked the boys and girls club and other volunteers that have helped them get things going (which is great), maybe they could use these volunteers or their families?

When they do open to the public, I will certainly give them a try – if they’ll have me!

baygo-
best of luck! No hard feelings?
Don't back down.....some of us happen to agree with you.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
Happy Gourmand

Default Tapas

I think some of you may be a little over sensitive. Seems to me that the restaurant is trying to do their best to prepare themselves for the general public with a soft opening that will include other than new employees and perhaps some of their immediate family and friends who perhaps would only offer a biased opinion.
Opening a new restaurant is one of the most difficult and risky ventures in a good economy, never mind the present economic climate.
I simply see this as another step to help insure that when they do open to the public, that they are comfortable that they have taken every possible step to eliminate as many "surprises" as they can.
I may agree that some of the "wording" of the invitation may be poorly chosen, but I have to applaud their intent as I percieve it.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (01-19-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
baygo

Default The last time I was this nervous was just before tee time for a US Open Qualifier.

Quote:
We would simply like to have a sense for whose opinion we are subjecting ourselves to.
We hope to accumulate a list of individuals with discerning palates and who articulate well so as to trust that when they write their reviews in this forum, the public can rely on their findings.

We are receiving many requests to participate.

Last edited by baygo; 05-25-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Spelling... thanks bluebell
Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Bluebell

Default Sorry, I couldn't resist.....

Quote:
We hope to accumulate a list of individuals with discerning pallets and who articulate well
Do you mean discerning palates, maybe.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebell For This Useful Post:
baygo (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
Newbiesaukee

I wasn't going to get into this either and for those who have read my previous posts I am pretty non-confrontational. I really like to eat and probably have what may be termed a "sophisticated palate " (although I am not so sophisticated myself.) HOWEVER, I did go to the website and the "tone" of the website really was off-putting, particularly writing a paragraph to be deemed acceptable. I was not offended, but it just didn't make me feel very comfortable. I wish the new owners the best of success, but as a constructive criticism, IMO the website language is a public relations mis-judgement. Unless the owners were channeling Goucho Marx in his comment that he wouldn't want to " belong to any {club} that would accept him as a member."
Newbiesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
Seaplane Pilot

Angry Give the guy a break, will you?

Man, take it easy on this guy. He's not sitting around collecting welfare, but rather is trying to start a new business in a down economy. Restaurants are tough businesses in a good economy, so he's got guts to push forth with this concept these days.

I commend him on his decision (yes, it's his business and no, you DON'T have to patronize the place) to take it slow and easy prior to an official opening. You guys will surely crucify him if his food and service stink because he's working out opening bugs.

Let's give this guy some support - just think....another business owner who'll probably be paying at least 5% income tax and DOUBLE social security payments.

If you guys are too offended to try the place, then step aside. I'll give it a try and report back.

Yours Truly,

SP
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
baygo (01-18-2010), nicole (01-20-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #18
kechefs

I also commend the owners on the soft opening. I've been to way to many openings that became horror shows because the FOH and Kitchen staffs were not ready. Good luck and I hope to be one of your guinea pigs.
kechefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Mr. V

You people are just TOO funny.

OK, I'll spell it out for you: he wants you to write a paragraph in order to determine whether you can manage to link a few coherent, relevant and useful thoughts together.

He'll be requesting detailed feedback from invitees, and if all they can manage to say is "tasted okay," well, that would be time and money down the rathole.

The soft opening is NOT for your benefit, it is for HIS, which is as it should be.

He spelled it out quite clearly: "calling all guinea pigs with great taste and an honest opinion), please email us here with a brief paragraph stating why we should invite you to share your opinion with us."

Riff raff and the McDonalds devotees need not apply.

He wants useful imput from foodies qualified to give it.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #20
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I wasn't going to get into this either and for those who have read my previous posts I am pretty non-confrontational. I really like to eat and probably have what may be termed a "sophisticated palate " (although I am not so sophisticated myself.) HOWEVER, I did go to the website and the "tone" of the website really was off-putting, particularly writing a paragraph to be deemed acceptable. I was not offended, but it just didn't make me feel very comfortable. I wish the new owners the best of success, but as a constructive criticism, IMO the website language is a public relations mis-judgement. Unless the owners were channeling Goucho Marx in his comment that he wouldn't want to " belong to any {club} that would accept him as a member."
Yeah, so maybe public relations or marketing isn't their forte. I'd wager a guess that there are just a few things going on with trying to get the place opened, and writing an eloquent bit of prose describing their process for selecting customers for the soft-opening didn't get all the attention it might have been best served by.

It would be foolhardy to assume that someone is sinking their time and capital into a new business in a seasonal area in a down economy, and then is going to protect that investing by offending their potential clientele on purpose.
baygo (05-25-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
Newbiesaukee

I don't think anybody has said he was offending people on purpose and I commend him on both the soft opening and the wish to start a new business. My only comment was on the website and it was made constructively. Certainly a business owner who is soliciting customers specifically to critique his food and business by having a soft opening need not be defensive about a comment concerning the website and I would hope the owner would take the comments in the spirit they were intended.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
baygo (01-18-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
Shore Driver

I look forward to this one, Laconia badly needs some good eats

Last edited by Shore Driver; 01-19-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: learn to spell
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shore Driver For This Useful Post:
baygo (05-25-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
Irish mist

Cut the guy some slack. He sounds like a smart businessman who's trying to get this right.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #24
jetskier

Thumbs up Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Cut the guy some slack. He sounds like a smart businessman who's trying to get this right.
Couldn't agree more. I have seen so many posts complaining about issues with new openings. This owner wants to dial in to the market and not open generally until he has it right. I think that is very smart and very appropriate.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
baygo (05-25-2010), winnisummergal (01-29-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #25
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Couldn't agree more. I have seen so many posts complaining about issues with new openings. This owner wants to dial in to the market and not open generally until he has it right. I think that is very smart and very appropriate.

Jetskier
I signed-up on the Tapas website to be invited to their restaurant before they officially open. I received a nice e-mail in response.
I think it is great that they want people to try their restaurant out and provide feedback.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
thatleslie (01-20-2010)
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #26
baygo

Default What is Tapas

I've had many people ask what Tapas is. Here's a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapas

FYI, We will feature an Americana twist on our Tapas.

Last edited by baygo; 01-23-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Forgot the FYI
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
robmac (01-23-2010)
Old 01-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #27
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I signed-up on the Tapas website to be invited to their restaurant before they officially open. I received a nice e-mail in response.
I think it is great that they want people to try their restaurant out and provide feedback.
Can you share about your experience after you go? I'm intrigued by the concept of this restaurant...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
hazelnut

Thumbs up Great Trail Access

I for one can not wait to try this place out. For those of you that do not know where it is I will tell you this, it is right near the entrance to South Down Shores. I know this because I was snowmobiling in the area Friday Night. I can also tell you that there is VERY convenient trail access to it. This will be a MUST STOP on the sled place. If you ever snowmobile around the Prison Loop or the South Down Loop you will note that the access to this restaurant is excellent by sled. I wish the owner very very good luck and I hope he succeeds. This will be a great addition to the area!

FYI - We have a Tapas Restaurant in the city where we live and I love it. It is such a great place to go with a group of friends. ESPECIALLY if you are one of those people who wants what everyone else is having. Effectively you all share a bunch of little things so everyone gets to try everything. It is a great concept.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Pepper (01-24-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #29
Justenuff

Quote:
I've had many people ask what Tapas is. Here's a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapas

FYI, We will feature an Americana twist on our Tapas.
I spent quite a few evenings in Madrid several years back partaking of the food in Tapas restaurants. Being from New England and used to eating before 8 pm, it was hard for me to last until dinner at 11 pm. It was even harder to get to work at 8 am after being in a cafe until 3 am!!!!

BTW, the food was always excellent! It helped to have hosts that knew the area as well.

Good luck, I probably will stop by after your formal opening.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #30
baygo

Default Free Lobster

To all who were waiting; Tavern 27 conducted its soft opening yesterday. This is the third restaurant I have opened and I must state that the Lakes Region customers show signs of being the best I've ever served. I am so pleased with the way my staff performed last night, and so flattered by all the great praise received, that I am going to tantalize some taste buds by offering a free lobster Tapas dish (one per table) to every one who asks for it while supplies last (about 35 orders). There are no gimmicks attached. Simple come on by and ask for your free lobster dish.
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
Smitty1 (05-06-2010)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #31
Lucky1

Where is Tavern 27 located and what are your hours? Do you have a menu that you can put on line for those who do not know Tapas? Thank you and good luck to you!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #32
thatleslie

Default location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Where is Tavern 27 located and what are your hours? Do you have a menu that you can put on line for those who do not know Tapas? Thank you and good luck to you!
We are located at The Mystic Meadows (formerly Tavern on the Green or The Stone House Tavern). Our address is 2075 Parade Road, Laconia. Just north of downtown Laconia on 106, past South Down Shores and Long Bay. We can also be found online at http://www.themysticmeadows.com.

We will be posting the menu online soon. Until then, you are always welcome to stop by and take a peak!

Our hours of operation right now are 11am-10:00pm. We hope to open for delicious coffee and breakfast by Memorial Day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thatleslie For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (05-06-2010), Smitty1 (05-06-2010)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #33
Smitty1

Default Tavern 27

2 Thumbs up!

Stopped by tonight. Ray and Leslie have done an amazing job with this space and the food is fantastic with an extensive menu. If you have been to the old Stone Tavern you will not believe the changes, if you have never been you need to check it out.

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smitty1 For This Useful Post:
baygo (05-06-2010), thatleslie (05-07-2010)
Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #34
jetskier

Thumbs up Terrific

We stopped in for dinner tonight and the food (and service) were great. It is nice to see a high quality restaurant in the lakes region with a focus on great customer service. We will certainly be back.

Jetskier
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
baygo (05-23-2010), thatleslie (05-23-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #35
jetskier

Post Concert

They are sponsoring a concert this coming Sunday (6/6/10):

http://www.themysticmeadows.com/p_events.php

Jetskier

Last edited by jetskier; 06-02-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #36
VtSteve

Default Very few reviews

So how is this place?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #37
Newbiesaukee

We have been several times, most recently last week. The food is interesting and varied and it does take a little time to go through the menu. We have had a number of dishes ranging from "wow" (lobster salad in pickled cucumber) to very good. The service has been attentive and the surroundings pleasant. The owners are clearly putting a lot of effort into the place and it shows. IMO definitely the best new restaurant of the year and I will go back. Prices are fair and with everything from lobster dishes to pizza and burgers, you really can almost choose your budget. They were packed on a Thursday night. For a new restaurant in a somewhat lovely but out of the way place, this says something. And no, I have no connection whatsoever with the place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
baygo (01-11-2011), VtSteve (08-28-2010)
Old 08-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #38
Jagstersmom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
You people are just TOO funny.

OK, I'll spell it out for you: he wants you to write a paragraph in order to determine whether you can manage to link a few coherent, relevant and useful thoughts together.

He'll be requesting detailed feedback from invitees, and if all they can manage to say is "tasted okay," well, that would be time and money down the rathole.

The soft opening is NOT for your benefit, it is for HIS, which is as it should be.

He spelled it out quite clearly: "calling all guinea pigs with great taste and an honest opinion), please email us here with a brief paragraph stating why we should invite you to share your opinion with us."

Riff raff and the McDonalds devotees need not apply.

He wants useful imput from foodies qualified to give it.
Well put! Can't understand whats so hard to understand!!!!! Sounds extremely reasonable to me to have a soft opening, it would benefit the public in the long run! Stop fighting it people, enjoy the experience!
Jagstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jagstersmom For This Useful Post:
baygo (02-14-2011)
Old 10-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #39
EricP

Default Looking good

I see the website has a couple links to reviews and they are good. I will have to try it out soon.

Baygo, any idea when the Fall menu will be up?

Thanks,
Eric
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #40
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
I see the website has a couple links to reviews and they are good. I will have to try it out soon.

Baygo, any idea when the Fall menu will be up?

Thanks,
Eric
Check back tomorrow afternoon.