Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
MGWillia

Default Lyons Den

Torn on whether to post here ir in boating. We had a wonderful dinner at Lyons Den, as usual. This time, however, we arrived by boat. We always thou there was ample dock space there. When we arrived we saw that all the docks had signs saying Gilford residents only and permit required. A check of the town website seems to confirm it. We had a great time. People on the docks gave us their address and said to say we were their guests if question. And dinner was wonderful. BUT we'd decided to remove it from our list of boat/dining options. However, on Facebook folks were talking food and boats and they assured me that there are public docks there... Love to add it back to the list. Anyone have any fact based insights?
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
Torn on whether to post here ir in boating. We had a wonderful dinner at Lyons Den, as usual. This time, however, we arrived by boat. We always thou there was ample dock space there. When we arrived we saw that all the docks had signs saying Gilford residents only and permit required. A check of the town website seems to confirm it. We had a great time. People on the docks gave us their address and said to say we were their guests if question. And dinner was wonderful. BUT we'd decided to remove it from our list of boat/dining options. However, on Facebook folks were talking food and boats and they assured me that there are public docks there... Love to add it back to the list. Anyone have any fact based insights?
Dock #1, farthest to starboard as viewed from water is a 3 hour public dock. Usually there are open spots during the week and on Friday evening if you get there a little early. Saturdays are tough. Dock #2 and #3 are Gilford residents only and you will get ticketed if you park there without a permit.

Don't take it off your list, best restaurant in the area!

Dan
MGWillia (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
MGWillia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Dock #1, farthest to starboard as viewed from water is a 3 hour public dock. Usually there are open spots during the week and on Friday evening if you get there a little early. Saturdays are tough. Dock #2 and #3 are Gilford residents only and you will get ticketed if you park there without a permit.

Dan

Wonderful! Thanks so much!
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
Phantom

As Ishoot accurately pointed out -- far right as viewed from water is "Public"

Another trick we use often on weekends is first plan on arriving a little early to lay in wait for a precious slip, ---if your lucky and immediately secure one -having a pre-dinner cocktail on the boat is not against the law (I don't think- in any event we do it all the time) or Lauren will be glad to let you relax in the bar while you wait for your table

Second, if you have done the above and are closing in on your reservation time, drop your party off and let them at least secure the table -- in that way you have respectfully arrived in time.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
gillygirl

Default Only left side of that dock...or has it changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
It's been a couple of years since we went, but isn't it only the left side of the right-hand (tilt your seat back forward) dock that is three hour docking? The other side is basically drop-off, pick-up only.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
It's been a couple of years since we went, but isn't it only the left side of the right-hand (tilt your seat back forward) dock that is three hour docking? The other side is basically drop-off, pick-up only.
Looking from the water, dock #1 is 3 hour on its left side and the outer half of the right side. The inner half of the right side is pickup/drop off.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (06-21-2016), upthesaukee (06-21-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
sum-r breeze

Default Food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWillia View Post
Somewhat off topic (kinda) but .....How was the food? I didn't really research through the old threads to get a restaurant review about it. A neighbor recommended we try the Den for lunch or dinner. We've never been.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Pricestavern

Default Fantastic

We love the Den and make it a point to cruise over there from Rattlesnake a few times each summer. Teriyaki tips are fantastic!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
Phantom

Lunch or Dinner ...... any Season .....You CAN'T go wrong !!

See the restaurant thread on the Den !

We're seriously biased (no affiliation), wife & I love the place, so will be quiet now

Old 10-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
Somewhat off topic (kinda) but .....How was the food? I didn't really research through the old threads to get a restaurant review about it. A neighbor recommended we try the Den for lunch or dinner. We've never been.

The Breeze
Did you miss where MGwillia said this in his post?... "We had a wonderful dinner at Lyons Den"

Anyway, the Lyons Den is one of if not the best restaurant around the lake and area. Consistently excellent food and service.

Definitely a must do if your in the area!

Dan
smith point boater (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #11
NoBozo

Since we sold the boat, we have not been over to Lyons Den by boat. Now we go up in winter/spring. Not been there in two/three years. Always excellent.

Never... had a bad experience at the Lyons Den....So long as we have been going there...a decade..or more ?? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #12
Slickcraft

In August we went to the Woodshed for our anniversary dinner. We went home disappointed and on the way home agreed that we needed to make up for it,

Next week we went to the Lyon's Den and had a great meal for a whole lot less $$. The duck was perfect. Now why on earth did we depart from our custom of reserving a table for two by the window at the Lyon's Den for our anniversary?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-12-2016), Just Sold (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #13
gillygirl

Never had a bad experience at the Den since shortly after they opened. I once watched while my three dinner companions had gustatory orgasms over their fish dish (I'm a Pisces and don't eat my own kind, but my meal was also excellent). Family members rave about their duck. They should be commended for their consistency in both service and meal quality.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #14
smith point boater

Default Lyons Den

Definitely would concur with the above 6 or 7 posts. In addition to great food and atmosphere it is owned and run by a wonderful family.

For the record (because it still seemed unclear to some people) there is public 3hr docking on one side of the Gilford docks. There are also tie up posts for those arriving by PWC ( which we do often on our rides)!!
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #15
salty dog

Default Delicious

My wife and I also feel the same. We go every year when we're up for our stay at the cabin. We call it our "fancy" dinner out for the vacation. It's always really delicious and the staff is great. Haven't boated there to eat yet but perhaps in the future.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Boating destinations

We love going to dinner by boat, so this still belongs in the boating thread. However, if you would all stop praising the Den, it would be a lot easier for me to find a place to tie up and have a great lunch/dinner. Good thing for all of us, they take reservations. 293-8833.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:04 AM   #17
Resident 2B

When we owned a place on the lake, we would go to the Lyon's Den three or four times a year. We now only visit, but when we do we make a point of going to the Lyon's Den.

In total, we have been there for dinner in the dining room 40 or more times. Always great food and wonderful, friendly service from this family owned and operated restaurant.

It is the best on or near the lake in our opinion. Excellent value from this outstanding establishment.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #18
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default First Time Tonight

Went to Lyons Den for the first time after being up here for almost 10 years. The service was excellent and they make a very good drink. The stuffed shrimp and spicy shrimp were both excellent and the prime rib was good but not great (very fatty) I will be back to try some different menu items, and maybe give the duck or chicken a shot.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Went to Lyons Den for the first time after being up here for almost 10 years. The service was excellent and they make a very good drink. The stuffed shrimp and spicy shrimp were both excellent and the prime rib was good but not great (very fatty) I will be back to try some different menu items, and maybe give the duck or chicken a shot.
The best meats are well marbled with fat and fat is what imparts flavor to beef.
How would you describe "very fatty"?
In the prime rib world, fat is usually a good thing. Just curious...as I cannot visualize a lean prime rib.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #20
Descant

Duck is not beef.0 No comparison.
I Love the lobster pie and the prime rib. Next time, I'll try the duck. I know from experience, I'll be happy at the Lyons Den.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #21
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
The best meats are well marbled with fat and fat is what imparts flavor to beef.
In the prime rib world, fat is usually a good thing. Just curious...as I cannot visualize a lean prime rib.
Fat is a great thing if it doesn't take away from the weight of the steak--I ordered prime rib from a local establishment (I won't mention it because it's well thought of and it might start a war) that I would have been embarrassed to serve my patron. I wish I'd taken a picture because it was literally half fat and took me more time to cut out the good stuff than actually eat it.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #22
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I love well marbled prime rib and rib eye but a good 1/3 of the prime rib was pure fat. Too much.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #23
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Fat is a great thing if it doesn't take away from the weight of the steak--I ordered prime rib from a local establishment (I won't mention it because it's well thought of and it might start a war) that I would have been embarrassed to serve my patron. I wish I'd taken a picture because it was literally half fat and took me more time to cut out the good stuff than actually eat it.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Yeah...that doesn't sound right.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I love well marbled prime rib and rib eye but a good 1/3 of the prime rib was pure fat. Too much.
Sounds like too much alright....
In ordering the prime rib tonight at the New Woodshed...let's see what I get!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-16-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #25
Phantom

Two dishes to try at the Lyon's Den that won't disappoint -

Chicken LobScar (spelling incorrect, sorry Lauren)
Steak au Poive

Beware, as the menu states, the "au Poive" is NOT for the faint of heart and if your in any doubts have it served on the side

Old 10-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #26
Taz

Default Lyons den

My favorite is Veal Marsala, you can cut the Veal with your fork! Delicious!
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #27
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Steak au Poive

Beware, as the menu states, the "au Poive" is NOT for the faint of heart and if your in any doubts have it served on the side

How do they serve the peppercorn crust on the side?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #28
Phantom

Pineneedles -- it's a peppercorn/brandy sauce

A VERY HOT sauce, I might add !!

and please don't say to just wait for it to cool then
Pineedles (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #29
ishoot308

Default den Favorites

My favorite at the Den is the blackened swordfish, it's simply awesome and brought in fresh daily!

My wife's favorite is the chicken lobskar.

Wash it all down with a bottle of Stags Leap Artemis cabernet, our favorite!

I'm hungry now...and thirsty!!

Dan
Old 10-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #30
Newbiesaukee

My favorite is the fried oysters...But agree that dinner at the Lyons Den is excellent.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #31
Slickcraft

Now this could be contagious.

Alan
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #32
Descant

It appears no two postres have the same favorite. I therefore draw the conclusion (at risk of not being able to get a table in the future) that everything on the menu is excellent. Specials too.)
Call ahead. Make a reservation. You'll be glad you did.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:48 AM   #33
joey2665

Default Reservations

I agree. When I went Saturday I as just looking for a seat at the bar to eat and the was not a chair to be had and the dining room was filling up quickly.

The owners were super nice and squeezed me in for a table in between other reservations in the dining room
Old 10-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #34
Bumble2249

There is also a Coupon for the Lyons Den in that monthly flyer that comes in the mail from Simply Direct! We use it all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #35
Barney Bear

Default No Room at the Inn

In mid-September, we wanted to take our son and our daughter-in-law to the Lyons Den to celebrate their wedding anniversary. I called for reservations on a Tuesday afternoon thinking that after Labor Day there would be no problem obtaing them. Though they were fully booked, they fitted us in by our arriving at 5:00PM. We had a fabulous dinner (as usual) and were not pressured to leave. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #36
bigdog

Bubble2249......

You mentioned there is a Coupon for the Lyons Den in a monthly flyer that comes in the mail from Simply Direct!

I've never received that flyer? Will have to Google that, to get mine I guess?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #37
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Bubble2249......

You mentioned there is a Coupon for the Lyons Den in a monthly flyer that comes in the mail from Simply Direct!

I've never received that flyer? Will have to Google that, to get mine I guess?

Yes! I print their flyer off their website as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2016, 05:41 AM   #38
GBGX2

Default Simply Direct Flyer for this week!

http://www.simplydirectnh.com/

Go to "This Month's Mailer" and download the PDF file.
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #39
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Coupon for Lyon's Den expired on 10- 16. .

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #40
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
The point is they graciously do one each run of the publication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Coupon for Lyon's Den expired on 10- 16
My reason for my post was I was about to print out the coupon when I noticed that it had expired. (Hence the frowning smilie.) (There's a contradiction in terms.) I thought that this would make a great mid - week dinner out. Still may go either Wed or Thurs night. I have bookmarked their site so I can keep checking back for new ads. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 05:01 AM   #41
Slickcraft

A very nice and reasonably priced lunch is the baked stuffed haddock for $8.95. Of course a pint of Guinness to wash it down will add another $5.

http://www.lyonsdenrestaurant.com/lunchmenu.htm
Old 10-24-2016, 06:15 AM   #42
winni83

We went to Lyon’s Den Saturday night with two other couples. Lauren was most accommodating making reservations, even following up on a request for an earlier time if there was a cancellation. Service and food were excellent. Even though a bit of a drive for us from Moultonborough, we all thought that this was a far better experience than the New Woodshed, with lower price points and better food. While the New Woodshed has a great look, the Den is a better destination.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (10-24-2016), Resident 2B (12-24-2016), thinkxingu (10-24-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #43
sum-r breeze

Default Finally got there

See Post #7 We had an amazing dinner at the Lyons Den on Saturday night 12/17. The room was a bit empty because of the snow storm but it was filling up as we dined. The wait staff was very friendly and was joking with us about the snow (snow? what snow she laughed) she was great. Mrs Breeze had their Chicken Francaise Dish. I had the Steak Tips. Both were awesome!! We just found another local favorite!!

The Breeze

Last edited by sum-r breeze; 12-23-2016 at 03:15 PM.
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #44
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
See Post #7 We had an amazing dinner at the Lyons Den on Saturday night 12/17. The room was a bit empty because of the snow storm but it was filling up as we dined. The wait staff was very friendly and was joking with us about the snow (snow? what snow she laughed) she was great. Mrs Breeze had their Chicken Francaise Dish. I had the Steak Tips. Both were awesome!! We just found another local favorite!!

The Breeze
Been there, great place!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #45
Leoskeys

Default Amazing

We've lived on lake for four years. After reading about Lyons Den on this forum, we went with our two young children yesterday for the first time. Great view, great food, and our waitress Hannah was wonderful. We will be back!
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #46
Hillcountry

Went to Lyon's Den for the first time today after registering our tritoon at the new Marine Patrol building....nice place!
Fish and chips and oysters were superb as was the onion soup gratinee'
Service was great ( not busy at lunch but the bar was busy)
We'll be back!
Old 05-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #47
StardogChampion

My wife and I went to Lyon's Den and sat in the bar last Friday night.

First off, I really like the feel of the bar. It felt like being on vacation only 5 minutes from home. It was just warm enough to have the windows open and there's a nice view of the water. The new MPHQ building even looks nice. It's small and so after a while it did get kind of smelly with the smokers coming in and out. But, it's a bar!

We had a couple of beers and appetizers. The beers selection was typical with Sam and Harpoon being the only things to pass for "craft". The food was really good -- we had the calamari and potato skins special. When my FIL goes he loves the burger there. Prices for bar food very very reasonable for the area.

We'll definitely go back again to sit at the bar and have a bite.
StardogChampion is offline   Reply With Quote