Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
Smith Point

Default combo fishfinder / chartplotter

I’m going to buy a new combination fishfinder and GPS chartplotter this year. Do any of you guys use these electronics? What are the pro’s and con’s? Price? If you had to do it over again would you buy the same thing? I’m usually pretty good on making a decision but there so many combos out there I can’t decide witch one to buy. Any input would be appreciated.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Rattletrap

Default Garmin

Just picked up a Garmin 53DV pretty sweet so far
Smith Point (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
I’m going to buy a new combination fishfinder and GPS chartplotter this year. Do any of you guys use these electronics? What are the pro’s and con’s? Price? If you had to do it over again would you buy the same thing? I’m usually pretty good on making a decision but there so many combos out there I can’t decide witch one to buy. Any input would be appreciated.
I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions but for me I prefer the Lowrance line of HDS units in the largest screen size that fits your boat. I currently have 2 HDS-7" Gen 2 that I love! Both have the Navionics chip in them which has fantastic accuracy!! I have used these units in the winter time also mounted either on my ATV or Polaris Ranger while ice fishing in -20 degree temps with no issues whatsoever. They are one tough unit!

Depending on the screen size you select, will determine the price you pay...I believe an HDS-7 is currently selling for about $1,000.00 where as and HDS-5 is about $600.00 or so both with transducer. The Navionics chip would be extra and I don't remember what they cost but I'm going to guess around $120.00.

There are a lot of good units out there, I just prefer and am very familiar with the Lowrance line and would buy another in a heartbeat!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dan
Smith Point (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
DesertDweller

The sky is the limit on what you want to spend but I have always found the Garmin units to be fairly priced and easy to use. I have a 53DV unit with the LakeVu Ultra HD maps and I am very happy. The unit was around $500 and the chip was another $150. You don't need to buy the ultra chip if you don't want to as long as you get the fresh water model as they typically come preloaded with lake maps (including Winnipesaukee). They are constantly updating their models and as long as you don't want the latest and greatest technology (like CHIRP and whatnot) who can save yourself a lot of money.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDweller For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
Smith Point

Did it come with Lake Winni pre-loaded?
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
DesertDweller

Quote:
Yes the Garmin 53DV and similar fresh water models come with Winni pre-loaded.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
Rattletrap

Default garmin

Quote:
yes If you buy the Lake View Ultra map you can use the auto guidance which seems pretty useful
Old 03-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
Woodguy53

Default Chart plotter /fish finder - Garmin 73 DV

Just bought this unit from Bass pro shops online. Arrived today actually, on sale for 424. Normally 699. Have not installed it yet, came with updated lakes software installed.
Might want to wait for another sale - this is the 3rd time since before Christmas they have had this deal

So as it sits here on my desk - any volunteers or help on an installer?

Boat currently has a older, smaller Lowrnce fish finder - so I am hoping that will make this easier
Woodguy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
kawishiwi

Default What you need vs what you want....

Quote:
2 things to ask, how good is your eyesight and how much do you need from sonar? Screen size is a huge price driver. Fancy fishfinding features also cost. Want both and its $$$. If you need gps and basic sonar and you have good eyesight, a basic 5" from any brand on display at bass pro and a $120 map chip should do it. I am a weekend warrior fisherman, mostly for bass but also interested in Salmon, so I want tons of features for locating fish holding structure and fish. I can "see" weeds, fish, bait fish, boulders, mud, sand, up to 120 ft on both sides of boat and under the boat all at the same time at up to 10 mph.
That is typically what costs the most.
I run 2 Lowrance HDS 2s on the dash, a 10" for hi speed sonar & side scan and a 5" dedicated to navigation, and a 7" humminbird on the trolling motor. Totally overkill but I love the options and the info. I do find the Lakemaster map chip for humminbird is a lot more detailed than the Navionics chip I have for Lowrance.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
Patofnaud

Default Another for the Garmin 73DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
yes If you buy the Lake View Ultra map you can use the auto guidance which seems pretty useful
This is why I got mine. It has sideview and all the bells, but I do not fish, so it was the ability to tell my wife 'follow the purple line and obey right of way while I sit back and relax a bit' that was the driving factor.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
glastron guy

I had a Lowrance HDS 5 and loved it. Switched to an Elite 7 on the new boat and was quite disappointed in it, wish I had gone with the HDS 7 instead.
glastron guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glastron guy For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #12
Farfrumbehavin

I have a Lowrance HDS 5 that I am selling to upgrade to a 7 and get the new technology of the sonar. I have the Navionics Lake insight sd card in the unit. It is a very nice unit. I am hoping to get $400 but will accept any offer.
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Bob G

I use the Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2. I absolutely love it. The newer technology is the "touch screen" which is also more $'s. Go see AJ in Meredith if you want to see a demo. Also, he may have a leftover. Most of the posts so far are using the Gen 2. The Gen 3 is the newer version and I believe touch screen. I use a Navionics chip which is pretty accurate but not totally. The chips run $100-$150 and $200 or thereabouts. I use the mid range ($150) in my unit and I have a Navionics app in my phone ($25 per/yr) for greater depth detail.
Good luck on whatever you decide on........Bob
AKA The Freshguy
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
chillininnh

Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro or 7 Pro with the C-Map chart. They are offering $100 back on the 5 and $150 on the 7. They ship with the chart in the bundle, IMO the C-Map chip is the best chip available for the Big Lake.
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chillininnh For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
MeredithMan

Default Dragonfly 5 Pro...

Chillininnh, (and anyone else who might know)--

I just bought a Dragonfly 5 Pro and shipped it up to the marina at the lake where I keep the boat to have it installed. Couple questions:

1) I have a 27' bowrider. I'm guessing it's 20-ish feet, give-or-take, from the helm where it will be mounted to the stern where the transducer will be. Will the transducer cable that comes with the unit be long enough? I asked the dude at Cabela's where I bought it and got a shrug-of-the-shoulders along with an "I Dunno..." I then asked him what do I do if it's not long enough and got another, "I Dunno...." Any insight on this 2nd question? If more cable is needed, do I have to go to Raymarine or is there something generic that could be used?

2) From the articles that I have read and the Youtube videos I have watched, it looks like the Dragonfly is fairly simple to operate out-of-the-box, but would appreciate any comments/guidance/hints that are not in the user guide on using it for the first time.

Thanks very much!

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #16
DesertDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Chillininnh, (and anyone else who might know)--

I just bought a Dragonfly 5 Pro and shipped it up to the marina at the lake where I keep the boat to have it installed. Couple questions:

1) I have a 27' bowrider. I'm guessing it's 20-ish feet, give-or-take, from the helm where it will be mounted to the stern where the transducer will be. Will the transducer cable that comes with the unit be long enough? I asked the dude at Cabela's where I bought it and got a shrug-of-the-shoulders along with an "I Dunno..." I then asked him what do I do if it's not long enough and got another, "I Dunno...." Any insight on this 2nd question? If more cable is needed, do I have to go to Raymarine or is there something generic that could be used?

2) From the articles that I have read and the Youtube videos I have watched, it looks like the Dragonfly is fairly simple to operate out-of-the-box, but would appreciate any comments/guidance/hints that are not in the user guide on using it for the first time.

Thanks very much!

MM
According to the RayMarine site, the transducer cable is 6 meters which is a tad short of 20 feet so you might be ok. If you need more you can get it on line or at a dealer.

My brother has the bigger version of yours and really likes it. I don't have any personal experience with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDweller For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (04-06-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
chillininnh

If an extension is needed you'll need part number A80312. These Dragonfly's are very easy to use. The menus are so intuitive a manual is hardly needed. There are several settings I change right out of the box. I'd be glad to help you optimize yours right in my Ships Store here at Irwin Marine in Laconia if you like. I have these on display and powered up.
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chillininnh For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #18
Dave M

Default Bow or Stern for mounting deep finder etc

Always wondered if mounting the deep finder at the bow to give you a little more of a heads up. Granted you have to go though the hull versus not.
Do they work at an angle?

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #19
Farfrumbehavin

I've always thought that would make the most sense. I too would like to see the road ahead. What little I know about Sonar says that the transducer is sending the signal in a cone shape and it's straight down below the transducer. Of course the cone gets wider as it goes deeper. On the screen you are looking at images that are now directly under or behind the boat as you move forward. I think what would be confusing is that if you mounted the transducer at an angle you would not be looking at the actual depth but rather the distance to the objects the sonar is reflecting off. It would be fun to mount it on a pole and lower it in front of the bow and see how it looks on the screen.
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #20
kawishiwi

Default Out of the water when on plane

A bow mounted transducer would be out of the water when the boat is on plane. The depth would be 0 once it lifted out of the h2o, and that would freak anyone out.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote