Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Rockslider

Default Bears

The big fellas in the attached photo paid us a visit last week - similar to Hillcountry's recent post, we found our garbage all over the yard and tracked down the culprits. My trail camera has shown them back a few times at various hours of the day and night (not finding garbage, just checking things out), and they seem to be getting somewhat comfortable around the neighborhood (Wolfeboro near the Tuftonboro line). This is our first experience with bears in five years here -- a good reminder to folks to bring in bird feeders and other food sources and secure the trash. Fish and Game has some good guidelines for dealing with bears on their website. Just wanted to let everyone know that we all know bears are around -- but now at least in our house we know that they are really around. It's a good time to be alert.
Attached Images

Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockslider For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (06-25-2019), Hillcountry (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

There was a bear spotted in the Meredith Bay community in Laconia on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
Barney Bear

Default Where-o-where?

Perhaps it was going to ask for directions to Bear Island. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #4
ApS

Arrow Bearly One Week—Sunday to Sunday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider View Post
The big fellas in the attached photo paid us a visit last week - similar to Hillcountry's recent post, we found our garbage all over the yard and tracked down the culprits. My trail camera has shown them back a few times at various hours of the day and night (not finding garbage, just checking things out), and they seem to be getting somewhat comfortable around the neighborhood (Wolfeboro near the Tuftonboro line). This is our first experience with bears in five years here -- a good reminder to folks to bring in bird feeders and other food sources and secure the trash. Fish and Game has some good guidelines for dealing with bears on their website. Just wanted to let everyone know that we all know bears are around -- but now at least in our house we know that they are really around. It's a good time to be alert.
What is significant about your two bears and my two bears is:
1) Two bears is a little unusual. Most often, when multiples appear, it is three or more bears. Your bears are likely one bear mom and her "yearling".

A few years ago, a mother bear brought five yearlings to the same North Country area for New Hampshire wildlife photographer Tom Sears. He's published a pamphlet featuring the six-bear family (at twelve-weeks and twelve-months old) posing for the camera and at play:

2) Your sighting of two bears is directly across Winter Harbor from last weekend's sighting of my two bears. Halfway between our sightings, is my Dad's house in Wolfeboro, where seeing bears isn't terribly unusual. The distance between our two sightings? Maybe six miles—not an unusual territory.

3) Because of the relative proximity of the two sightings (of two bears) I suspect they are the same pair as last Sunday's sighting:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...5&postcount=15
Old 07-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Andromeda321

My mom saw one a few mornings ago at their place on Moultonborough Neck. There was one we had regular sightings of two summers ago, but hadn't seen him at all last year. Guess he either made it back or someone else moved into the area!
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links