Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
gokart-mozart

Default Route 28 Alton to Ossipee

I am trying to research the history of the alignment of NH 28 from Alton to Wolfeboro and on to Ossipee.

I remember as a child the long drive from NYC to Wolfeboro, before the interstates. It seems to me that the road from Alton took a much more indirect route than it does now.

And tonight, I saw a 1959 Lake Winnipesaukee Navigation Chart which had Beech Pond Road in Wolfeboro labelled as Rte 28 "to Ossipee".

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Rt 28 has been in its current path in all my 51 years that Im aware of.The interstates have gone through quite a change even in my time.I remember when I-93 stopped in Plymouth.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Route 28 alton to Ossipee

Ok, gokart, I'll take a stab at some of it. I hope someone with an actual map from the 1940s will chime in and help out. The road from the south end of Alton used to run into Alton Bay (pretty much as it does now) and then follow the Lake along what is now listed as 28A, until it connected (somehow) to the south end of Roberts Cove Road following RCR northward until connecting back to the "main" road. This lead into Wolfeboro pretty much along the same road as is in play today. The current Rt 28 took out some really serious turns along the Lake, and, or course, is wider and safer.

I hope this helps, or, at least, prompts someone to offer a better answer.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Old postcards indicate that Robert's Cove was on the Old Wolfeboro Road. I'm sure there's a map on photopost....but photopost is down right now!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

That is correct, mcdude. Robert's Cove Road was the old Alton road.
Beech Pond Road was never Rte. 28 (going to Ossipee) unless it was long before any of our lifetimes. Most of those bits and pieces of roads on 28 both on the Ossipee to Wolfeboro section and Wolfeboro to Alton section were the old Rte. 28. The new Alton section of Rte. 28 was built around 1966 The Ossipee section was built (I think way) before that but I can't tell you when.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
gokart-mozart

Default Rte 28 to Ossipee

Thanks, tis, the 1959 Lake Winni Navigation Chart didn't really make sense to me - it shows 28 and 109 as separate, with 28 following 109A out to Beech Pond Road and then North to (I assume) 171. Perhaps the Nav Chart maker just didn't know the roads that well.

The Alton-Wolfeboro info posted here makes sense. 28 was Main Street in Alton, then 28A to (at least) Chestnut Cove Road, then to the current 28-Roberts Cove Road intersection (we don't know the routing of the Wolfeboro Road between the Western intersection of Chestnut Cove Road-28A and RCR).

I remember when we passed the then Eye-Joy Cottages on RCR that it was a sign we were finally getting close.

Was Drew Hill Road part of this picture? I mean, 28A to current 28, then somehow connecting to the East Alton Meetinghouse Rd, then Drew Hill to RCR?

Thanks to all for the info. Keep it coming.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
mcdude

Here's that postcard I was referring to. Upthesaukee correctly notes that there is an extra island in the postcard in front (and to the right) of Rattlesnake.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
mcdude

I'm not sure of the date on this but I'm guessing 1892. Note that Wolfeboro Road takes quite an inland route. The part in Alton is still known as Old Wolfeboro Road. What is now known as 28A or Eastside Drive (as it is called on old postcards) was NOT the Wolfeboro Road.

CLICK HERE to SUPER-SIZE the MAP

Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
mcdude

Default OK so I'm talking to myself apparently...replying to my own posts

Here's a 1962 Fishing Map which places Rt. 28 right down by the lake and directly past Robert's Cove.

CLICK HERE to SUPER-SIZE

Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Just Sold

McD's map from 1962 show what I remember.

Over the last few years I have even re-traced the path of the 1962 Rt 28. I have been able to see various buildings along that route today that were there in the late 50's and early 60's when we drove to Wolfeboro.

When the State did the "straightening of RT. 28" The McLeod Family (of Melrose, MA) whose lake front summer home is just over the line from Alton in Wolfeboro had a significant amount of their back land taken by eminent domain for the new Rt 28. Sure shorted their dirt road drive in off of 28.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
camp guy

Default Rt 28 Alton to Ossipee

Speaking of old routes, does anyone remember going south on Rt 125 through Plaistow and Haverhill (MA) to get to the Boston area ? My fondest memory of that route is stopping at Was-Maco Ice Cream Creamery in Plaistow, right on the Plaistow/Haverhill line. Their 'small' was everyone else's 'jumbo', and it went up from there. Just a pleasant memory.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
mcdude

Default Fun Fact to Know and Tell

Did you know that Rt. 28 actually begins at the traffic circle in Orleans, MA? It proceeds through Hyannis, Falmouth, over the canal and then up through Wareham, Middleboro, Bridgewater, Brockton, Randolph, Milton, Mattapan, Roxbury......over the Charles River via the Salt and Pepper Bridge and past the Museum of Science before proceeding up through Mass to NH? I live right off of Rt. 28 (Main St.) down here south of Boston. I wonder how long it would take me to get to Alton Bay if I followed Rt. 28 all the way?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
gokart-mozart

Default Thanks, McDude

Lots of helpful information yesterday!

The named "Wolfeboro Road" (which is still there, named "Old Wolfeboro Road") took an inland route (and also a much higher elevation), and joined the route designated as NH 28 somewhere in East Alton.

The original NH 28 followed Main Street to Alton Bay, and then followed present-day 28A to at least the present 28A-Chestnut Cove Road intersection.

From the present 28A-Chestnut Cove Road intersection to the current 28-Roberts Cove Road intersection, the layout of original NH 28 remains unknown.

Original NH 28 then followed Roberts Cove Road over its entire present course, except that I suspect it followed the current left-bearing blind spur rather than the present right-bearing main road to rejoin the Wolfeboro Road in more or less its present alignment to Weston Auto Body.

The two questions left are:

1) What was the path of original NH 28 from the current 28A-Chestnut Cove intersection to the current southerly NH 28-Roberts Cove Road intersection?

2) Where did the inland "Wolfeboro Road" join original NH 28?

I suspect that the original NH 28 included present Quarry Road and Gilman's Corner Road, as well - but between Gilman's Corner Road+current NH 28 and current 28A+Chestnut Cove Road, I'm lost.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
This'nThat

Default This is how long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
I wonder how long it would take me to get to Alton Bay if I followed Rt. 28 all the way?
Ever book a flight with 3 stops, and the last one Red? Indicates that you start out one day, and end the trip the next day. That's how long it will take. Bring a lunch, .... dinner, .... and some breakfast.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Speaking of old routes, does anyone remember going south on Rt 125 through Plaistow and Haverhill (MA) to get to the Boston area ? My fondest memory of that route is stopping at Was-Maco Ice Cream Creamery in Plaistow, right on the Plaistow/Haverhill line. Their 'small' was everyone else's 'jumbo', and it went up from there. Just a pleasant memory.
I have family from there. It's really quite striking how the landscape in the corridor has been transformed in the past generation. My father used to camp out at the present site of Kohls/DeMoulas.

(The ponds you see in that area are what's left from the claypits that they dug when the Westville section of Plaistow - the part centred on basically where Dunkin Doughnuts and the old Westville Market were - was a brickmaking center).

I remember seeing movies at the old drive-in and grabbing a grinder at the old Danos A-frame acrosst the street.

I learned how to swear by listening to my grandmother give hell to the owner of Skip's gas (by Larry's Clambar). He used to insist on pumping the gas. She suspected him of shorting her. Her special nickname for ole Skip was Skimp.

Thanks for the memory!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
SIKSUKR

Default Speed limit

Quote:
Here's a 1962 Fishing Map which places Rt. 28 right down by the lake and directly past Robert's Cove.

CLICK HERE to SUPER-SIZE
Also noticed a speed limit in Alton Bay.I would guess a no-wake zone.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
chipj29

Quote:
Did you know that Rt. 28 actually begins at the traffic circle in Orleans, MA? It proceeds through Hyannis, Falmouth, over the canal and then up through Wareham, Middleboro, Bridgewater, Brockton, Randolph, Milton, Mattapan, Roxbury......over the Charles River via the Salt and Pepper Bridge and past the Museum of Science before proceeding up through Mass to NH? I live right off of Rt. 28 (Main St.) down here south of Boston. I wonder how long it would take me to get to Alton Bay if I followed Rt. 28 all the way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
Ever book a flight with 3 stops, and the last one Red? Indicates that you start out one day, and end the trip the next day. That's how long it will take. Bring a lunch, .... dinner, .... and some breakfast.
I was gonna say the same thing. That is a loooong drive.
Many moons ago, I dated a girl who lived in Milton while I lived in Lynnfield. One Saturday night, I thought it would be kinda fun to drive home from Milton via Rt 28. Not sure how long I stayed on it, but it wasn't very long. As soon as I was getting into Mattapan, I started looking for signs to I-93. I bailed at the first one I saw.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Long Pine

Default Old Route to Wolfeboro through East Alton

In response to gokart-mozart's questions above, I have an 1892 map of Alton in my home that shows some of the older road configurations. It also shows the names of the homeowners. It is a different map than the one mcdude showed above. You can see it and zoom in/out at the following link.

http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=4977

It seems to show that there was no 28A then. There was the Old Wolfeboro Rd you mentioned that intersects the current 28 across from the current 28A. As you mention, current evidence of the connection between this point and Gilmans Corner Rd is not visible on modern maps, but I suspect the route may have been on the west side of the current 28 near the Catholic Church. Then the route would have continued on Gilmans Corner Rd and turned left onto the current Quarry Rd which becomes Roberts Cove Rd. Then I think that it followed the current Roberts Cove Rd across the current 28 and onto Rines Rd where it turned left onto what is marked in Mapquest as Stagecoach Road. This continued northeasterly until it intersected with the current Rt 28 near Gould Rd right before the Wolfeboro line. The last portion of this connection is no longer a road but if you are on the current 28, you can see the old road grade on the east side of the highway. That is my best guess for how the old route made its way through Alton based on the 1892 map. The last part of the route I mentioned from Roberts Cove Rd to Rines Rd to Stagecoach Rd was based in part on the recollection of a neighbor who has been coming to the lake for many years.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #19
gokart-mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Pine View Post
In response to gokart-mozart's questions above, I have an 1892 map of Alton in my home that shows some of the older road configurations. It also shows the names of the homeowners. It is a different map than the one mcdude showed above. You can see it and zoom in/out at the following link.

http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=4977

It seems to show that there was no 28A then. There was the Old Wolfeboro Rd you mentioned that intersects the current 28 across from the current 28A. As you mention, current evidence of the connection between this point and Gilmans Corner Rd is not visible on modern maps, but I suspect the route may have been on the west side of the current 28 near the Catholic Church. Then the route would have continued on Gilmans Corner Rd and turned left onto the current Quarry Rd which becomes Roberts Cove Rd. Then I think that it followed the current Roberts Cove Rd across the current 28 and onto Rines Rd where it turned left onto what is marked in Mapquest as Stagecoach Road. This continued northeasterly until it intersected with the current Rt 28 near Gould Rd right before the Wolfeboro line. The last portion of this connection is no longer a road but if you are on the current 28, you can see the old road grade on the east side of the highway. That is my best guess for how the old route made its way through Alton based on the 1892 map. The last part of the route I mentioned from Roberts Cove Rd to Rines Rd to Stagecoach Rd was based in part on the recollection of a neighbor who has been coming to the lake for many years.
Google Earth seems to show "shadow" roads which corroborate a lot of what you say. Old 28 followed current 28A to the current East Alton gas station, then traced a route just to the West of current 28, following Hidden Springs Road to become Gilmans Corner Road-Quarry Road-Roberts Cove Road. It appears, though, that Roberts Cove Road followed a slow, sloping approach now marked on the maps as "Pond Road" to merge with present Route 28 near the Wolfeboro line, rather than crossing present 28 as Rines Road-Stagecoach Road. I've walked Stagecoach Road from Rines Road, which is impassible to vehicles, and it's hard to believe it was ever an auto road.

If anybody can identify the Old Wolfeboro Road-Hidden Springs Road intersection, please speak up.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
KBoater

Default postal map

Lone Pine,
Your map looks like the old postal maps of Wolfeboro etc. If you check around where the post office is there are no houses since they are not RFD locations.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
Lone Pine,
Your map looks like the old postal maps of Wolfeboro etc. If you check around where the post office is there are no houses since they are not RFD locations.
It's from the Hurd Town & City Atlas of New Hampshire, 1892. There's still some complete sets out there but many of the copies have been cannibalized by map collectors and old paper dealers who sell maps town by town.

UNH has digitized the Hurd atlas, which is searchable at the following site:

http://docs.unh.edu/Hurd/pages/Belknap.htm

The link is to the Belknap index. But you can use the dropdown menu to select towns indexed by all 10 NH counties.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #22
Long Pine

Quote:
It appears, though, that Roberts Cove Road followed a slow, sloping approach now marked on the maps as "Pond Road" to merge with present Route 28 near the Wolfeboro line, rather than crossing present 28 as Rines Road-Stagecoach Road. I've walked Stagecoach Road from Rines Road, which is impassible to vehicles, and it's hard to believe it was ever an auto road.
Gokart-mozart - It appears that you were right about the first part of this statement but perhaps not the last part. If you go to www.nhdeeds.com for Belknap County and go to Plan Book 58 Page 9, you will see a boundary line survey for the McLeod property from 1972 that specifically identifies "Old Route 28" and "NH Route 28". It shows the routing of Old Rt 28 down what is often marked on modern maps as "Pond Road" off of Roberts Cove Road (which is what you had thought) rather than up Roberts Cove Rd to Rines Rd to Stagecoach (as I had guessed). It goes past the McLeod's driveway (sometimes seen as McLeod Rd on current maps). Then Old Route 28 crossed the current 28 and made its way over to Stagecoach Road where it presumably continued down the currently impassable road grade to merge with the current 28 near the Wolfeboro line. Google Earth also seems to show a faint shadow of how the Old 28 made its way over to Stagecoach Rd.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #23
gokart-mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Pine View Post
Gokart-mozart - It appears that you were right about the first part of this statement but perhaps not the last part. If you go to www.nhdeeds.com for Belknap County and go to Plan Book 58 Page 9, you will see a boundary line survey for the McLeod property from 1972 that specifically identifies "Old Route 28" and "NH Route 28". It shows the routing of Old Rt 28 down what is often marked on modern maps as "Pond Road" off of Roberts Cove Road (which is what you had thought) rather than up Roberts Cove Rd to Rines Rd to Stagecoach (as I had guessed). It goes past the McLeod's driveway (sometimes seen as McLeod Rd on current maps). Then Old Route 28 crossed the current 28 and made its way over to Stagecoach Road where it presumably continued down the currently impassable road grade to merge with the current 28 near the Wolfeboro line. Google Earth also seems to show a faint shadow of how the Old 28 made its way over to Stagecoach Rd.

You are obviously correct! Thanks!

Now, all that's needed is an old plan from the East Alton Store to the present Gilman's Corner Road/NH 28 intersection (which must pass through the parking lot of St. Katherine Drexel Church), and the whole route is done.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
You are obviously correct! Thanks!

Now, all that's needed is an old plan from the East Alton Store to the present Gilman's Corner Road/NH 28 intersection (which must pass through the parking lot of St. Katherine Drexel Church), and the whole route is done.
The presence of an antique home in that general location supports this theory. The location of the stone walls is further evidence
Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #25
Long Pine

Default Old Rt 28 near current 28/28A Junction

If you go to www.nhdeeds.com for Belknap county and go to Plan Drawer "L47" and Plan Number "9", you will see a survey of the land that was sold to the Catholic church. On it is reference to "Hidden Springs Road a/k/a Old Route 28" (confirming the earlier suspicion about the routing of Old 28). An older plan found at Plan Book 76 page 73 shows what the property looked like in 1974.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #26
RI Swamp Yankee

I remember when the "new" Rt 28 was built it made it a lot faster getting to my aunt's house in South Wolfeboro but I missed seeing Alton Bay and the wooden speedboats there and all those houses with "garages" facing (and in) the water. I am guessing it was in the late 50s as it was a few years before I got my driver's license.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

I am pretty sure the new Rte. 28 was completed in 1966.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #28
Orion

Default That's not an island

Quote:
Here's that postcard I was referring to. Upthesaukee correctly notes that there is an extra island in the postcard in front (and to the right) of Rattlesnake.
Judging by the profile, and date of the card, I believe that is the Mt. Wahington steaming toward Alton.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #29
gtxrider

Default much more direct now

Sitting in the back seat of dad's '53 or my grandfathers '59 Chevys the ride to Wolfeboro was twistier then now. Rt 28 used to be a winding road.

So was Rt 11 going to Laconia.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote