Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
loonguy

Default Pontoon Boat?

Due to the seasonal low lake levels and many underwater hazards near Lees Mill and the Loon Center in Moultonborough, we recently sold our bow rider, which had a 39 inch draft, and are considering buying a tritoon, which has a 14 inch draft. Another option might be a jet powered boat. I welcome any comments and perspectives that might assist our decision. Thanks.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
winnienox

Thanks for posting, loonguy... I have similar questions actually. I thought about jet boats but feared they would be more difficult to control and steer especially at idle. I also heard they were generally lighter and more vulnerable to getting tossed about in rougher waters. Pontoons seem very practical but I’m just not there yet stylistically....

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
winnienox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:48 AM   #3
Greene's Basin Girl

We have a jet ski and a pontoon boat and we live near Lee's Mills. Haven't had any problems in over 60 years. Just make you know which side of the buoy's to go on.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
winnipiseogee

I tried test driving Chaparral's jest boat this fall and was rather disappointed. Its VERY loud, the handling at slower speeds was very cumbersome and it didn't have nearly the pick-up I would have expected.
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 AM   #5
loonguy

With the help of the comments above, I am focused on a 26 foot pontoon boat that I will use for fishing, partying and water sports. With respect to fishing, I would appreciate any perspectives on whether a trolling motor would be useful or effective with a pontoon boat that size on Lake Winnipesaukee. Thanks in advance for your perspectives.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
With the help of the comments above, I am focused on a 26 foot pontoon boat that I will use for fishing, partying and water sports. With respect to fishing, I would appreciate any perspectives on whether a trolling motor would be useful or effective with a pontoon boat that size on Lake Winnipesaukee. Thanks in advance for your perspectives.
I assume your talking about an electric trolling motor? It would depend on what you plan on doing with it. Fishing in sheltered coves and bays for pan fish would be just fine. Trolling for salmon rainbows and lakers would be quite different!

On one of my previous pontoon boats, I used a trolling motor for salmon fishing. It was a 36 volt, 101 lb thrust Minn Kota. It moved the boat around quite well and with plenty of power but the batteries would only last about 3 1/2 hours of trolling. I had to have two battery packs (six batteries) to have a decent day of fishing. It got to be way to cumbersome so I had a gas 9.9 Mercury kicker installed which was way better!

Pontoon boats make a great fishing platform. If you set it up right you can easily change it over quickly to your party / water sports boat and never know it!

I still have that Minn Kota motor if your interested.

Good luck with your new boat!

Dan
Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
loonguy

Thanks for the information, Dan. Your advice with respect to the electric trolling motor is consistent with my expectations. The pontoon boat that I am looking at has an option for an electric trolling motor with 55 lb. thrust, which seemed inadequate to me. The alternative of a gas 9.9 Mercury kicker is interesting, but I am wondering what that would do that running the main engine at low rpm would not. Is it just an inexpensive way to limit the hours and wear and tear on the main engine?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
ishoot308

Quote:
Thanks for the information, Dan. Your advice with respect to the electric trolling motor is consistent with my expectations. The pontoon boat that I am looking at has an option for an electric trolling motor with 55 lb. thrust, which seemed inadequate to me. The alternative of a gas 9.9 Mercury kicker is interesting, but I am wondering what that would do that running the main engine at low rpm would not. Is it just an inexpensive way to limit the hours and wear and tear on the main engine?
Yes , the main reason for the kicker is to keep the hours off your bigger main engine. Trolling for 6 or 7 hours a day can really add up quick and you really do not want to put those kind of hours on your larger main motor. A trolling motor is made for specifically that...trolling.

My previous Premier pontoon had a factory optional kicker motor bracket which is what I used. It worked out well. I would think most pontoon manufacturers have this option, if not, the brackets are simple to make.

Dan
Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
WINNI BOB

Default 25.5 "Premier Tri-toon for fishing and partying

Quote:
Hi;
I bought a used 25.6' "Premier Tri-toon" a couple of years ago, and I love it. ..Actually, flew to S. Carolina to see and buy it on "Craigslist" PAID $ 35,000....I have fished, snorkeled, and scuba dove the area around The Weirs for over 55 years. I have 25" tubes with 2 stabilizing ribs on each tube which holds the boat steady even on a high-speed turns. the center tube is actually an "OVAL" shape for more floatability. I have a 300 hp evinrude e-tec and I can do over 40 mph in 2' waves.

There are 4 swivel and reclining seats, bait-wells in front and in back.
Hard top bimini, tow bar for skiers, electric anchor ... all the bells and
whistles.

As for the "Kicker Motor"... If you go for a "BIG" motor you will need a small kicker to troll with... A big 300 hp will only troll down to about 2.5 mph... too fast for live bait.... Plus, slow trolling is not good for a big engine (gums up the plugs)

I keep it on a power-lift, and it's the nuts to pull in, press a button on my remote, and I'm up and out of the water in 10 seconds...no need to tie off with ropes. Same thing going out... 10 seconds and i'm out and fishing.

If you want to see, or, even go for a ride...e-mail me @ bobbycoff1940@gmail.com or call 617-678-1018
Attached Images

Last edited by WINNI BOB; 05-22-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: additions
WINNI BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNI BOB View Post
Hi;
I bought a used 25.6' "Premier Tri-toon" a couple of years ago, and I love it. ..Actually, flew to S. Carolina to see and buy it on "Craigslist" PAID $ 35,000....I have fished, snorkeled, and scuba dove the area around The Weirs for over 55 years. I have 25" tubes with 2 stabilizing ribs on each tube which holds the boat steady even on a high-speed turns. the center tube is actually an "OVAL" shape for more floatability. I have a 300 hp evinrude e-tec and I can do over 40 mph in 2' waves.

whistles.

As for the "Kicker Motor"... If you go for a "BIG" motor you will need a small kicker to troll with... A big 300 hp will only troll down to about 2.5 mph... too fast for live bait.... Plus, slow trolling is not good for a big engine (gums up the plugs)

I keep it on a power-lift, and it's the nuts to pull in, press a button on my remote, and I'm up and out of the water in 10 seconds...no need to tie off with ropes. Same thing going out... 10 seconds and i'm out and fishing.

If you want to see, or, even go for a ride...e-mail me @ bobbycoff1940@gmail.com or call 617-678-1018

So WinniBob, what do you use for a kicker motor? I have a tri-toon that we troll with and I would like to add a 9.9 horse kicker. There’s a company that makes a product called “the toon kicker” which is a pontoon mounted kicker bracket but they are redesigning it and have not released the improved version yet.
Do you use a kicker or just the big Evinrude? We use our 150 Yamaha now and it trolls about 2 mph with a sea anchor.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Selling my 19' bowrider this weekend and looking to buy a pontoon boat. Anyone have opinions on Avalon pontoons, good or bad?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
WINNI BOB

Default Kicker Motor bracket for Tri-toon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
So WinniBob, what do you use for a kicker motor? I have a tri-toon that we troll with and I would like to add a 9.9 horse kicker. There’s a company that makes a product called “the toon kicker” which is a pontoon mounted kicker bracket but they are redesigning it and have not released the improved version yet.
Do you use a kicker or just the big Evinrude? We use our 150 Yamaha now and it trolls about 2 mph with a sea anchor.
Hi;

I am waiting for the same bracket that you mention. I have a, bow-mounted, 70 lb thrust electric motor, but I usually, just use a sea anchor, or, sometimes, I troll in reverse where I can get the speed down to about 1 to 1.5. It works out pretty good, tho, it does cause some weird looks from other boats.
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNI BOB For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-29-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
WINNI BOB

Default 25.5 "Premier Tri-toon for fishing and partying

Quote:
Hi;
I bought a used 25.6' "Premier Tri-toon" a couple of years ago, and I love it. I have fished, snorkeled, and scuba dove the area around The Weirs for over 55 years. I have 25" tubes with 2 stabilizing ribs on each tube which holds the boat steady even on a high-speed turns. the center tube is actually an "OVAL" shape for more floatability. I have a 300 hp evinrude e-tec and I can do over 40 mph in 2' waves.

whistles.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #14
Barney Bear

Default Double Talk

It' such a great boat, it's worth repeating! 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
WINNI BOB (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
WINNI BOB

Default My repeat was screw-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
It' such a great boat, it's worth repeating! 🐻
I tried to edit, to add some stuff, and it repeated instead....sorry
Old 01-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #16
Blyblvrd

i have a 27ft pontoon with a 200 hp engine that sits 18. its great for sunset cruises, trips across the broads, most water sports and fishing. we love it even though its like driving an aircraft carrier sometimes. for deep fishing (salmon and lake trout) tie laundry baskets to ropes which creates drag and lowers our speed to the 2-3 mph we like for trolling. I can share pictures of huge fish we caught this way. good luck and im sure you will love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
kawishiwi

Default What fish & other uses...

If you plan to fish for bass you will likely want the electric troll motor to move slowly and safely around the shore, rocks, weeds that bass frequent. Used that way you would get easily a full day or two on a single charge with the motor ishoot used, probably at or near full power, for higher speed salmon fishing.
Ishoot mentions a 36v (3 batteries) motor giving 100lbs+ of force but you might be fine with 24v (2 batteries) 80 lb thrust.
Additionally a front mounted electric could help with docking in high wind and/or help accessing anchoring places like the west side of Ragged Island.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #18
loonguy

Default Pontoon Boat with Trolling Motor

My research to find the right trolling motor turned up a couple of links that others might find helpful:

https://1source.basspro.com/index.ph...-for-your-boat

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Trol...ide/532011.uts

I am getting close to a purchase and hope to be at the NH Boat Show in Bedford in a couple weeks ready to make my final selection, probably a pontoon boat about 26 feet long with a 200 or 250 HP motor plus an electric trolling motor.

I welcome any additional perspectives. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #19
carno

Default Pontoon

I agree w/ishoot..we use a harris 21 ft toon w/115 command thrust...installed a minn kota terrova 80lbs with quick release bracket.(24 volt)(60 Inch )...we fish ice out and troll with zero issues using a drift sock to slow the boat down if needed..We use the trolling motor the rest of the season for bass and drift fishing. the spot lock and remote are awesome on the pontoon ( the foot controls stay under the seat)....We do not use a kicker. if I had a 250 on the back that would be different.... we have zero concerns with the 50-100 hrs a year we put on fishing...I do regular oil changes which are super easy with the newer outboards... good luck in your search, Carno
carno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #20
ApS

Question

Quote:
My research to find the right trolling motor turned up a couple of links that others might find helpful:
https://1source.basspro.com/index.ph...-for-your-boat
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Trol...ide/532011.uts I am getting close to a purchase and hope to be at the NH Boat Show in Bedford in a couple weeks ready to make my final selection, probably a pontoon boat about 26 feet long with a 200 or 250 HP motor plus an electric trolling motor.
I welcome any additional perspectives. Thanks to all for your help.
For four to six passengers, folks can buy smaller pontoons for Winnipesaukee weekends...
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #21
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
For four to six passengers, folks can buy smaller pontoons for Winnipesaukee weekends...
Just don't venture out into the broads.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #22
loonguy

We finally took delivery last week of our 26 foot tritoon with a 250 hp motor and 36v trolling motor. We are still breaking it in and learning our way, but have no buyer's remorse at this point. The tritoon appears to be a good fit for us for partying, fishing and water sports.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
kawishiwi

Default Go big or stay home...

Quote:
We finally took delivery last week of our 26 foot tritoon with a 250 hp motor and 36v trolling motor. We are still breaking it in and learning our way, but have no buyer's remorse at this point. The tritoon appears to be a good fit for us for partying, fishing and water sports.
Sounds like you have a new Battleship of fun! Congratulations. Hope to see you slinkin through the shallow water with that beast using the trolling motor.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Congrats! 26’ wow! Sounds like a great toon! Pictures please!!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #25
loonguy

Sorry Hillcountry, but I am not a picture kind of guy. I will try not to be a bore any more. I have just a couple of perspectives that might help others make a choice. The pontoon boat is still the best fit for my situation, but there are trade-offs compared to the bowrider that I used to have. First, the bowrider's V hull provided a much steadier ride, less subject to being pushed off course by the wind, which is most important when docking. Second, unlike most bowriders, most pontoon boats, including mine, do not have a windshield high enough to block the wind and typically have no windshield on the passenger side. We really miss the windshields at higher speeds. Third, opting for four fishing chairs (two forward and two aft) resulted in less comfortable seating than would have been available otherwise, which is a disadvantage if you are on a party cruise rather than a fishing trip. Finally, unlike the bowrider, the pontoon boat does not have a head, which we never used but it was nice to know it was there if you needed it. Despite the disadvantages, I am happy with the pontoon purchase and expect that I will not be back in the boat-buying adventure any time soon.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #26
Hillcountry

Quote:
Sorry Hillcountry, but I am not a picture kind of guy. I will try not to be a bore any more. I have just a couple of perspectives that might help others make a choice. The pontoon boat is still the best fit for my situation, but there are trade-offs compared to the bowrider that I used to have. First, the bowrider's V hull provided a much steadier ride, less subject to being pushed off course by the wind, which is most important when docking. Second, unlike most bowriders, most pontoon boats, including mine, do not have a windshield high enough to block the wind and typically have no windshield on the passenger side. We really miss the windshields at higher speeds. Third, opting for four fishing chairs (two forward and two aft) resulted in less comfortable seating than would have been available otherwise, which is a disadvantage if you are on a party cruise rather than a fishing trip. Finally, unlike the bowrider, the pontoon boat does not have a head, which we never used but it was nice to know it was there if you needed it. Despite the disadvantages, I am happy with the pontoon purchase and expect that I will not be back in the boat-buying adventure any time soon.
I agree about the windshield part. We’re tmpted to trade up to a model that has the full windshield but I think they are very expensive! Other than that you can get used to it fairly easily. One tip is to lower your bimini top to dock in a breezy situation...not having that “sail” up helps. (If you indeed have a bimini) boat hooks and a loop pole to catch dock structure help a lot too.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 07-19-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #27
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I agree about the windshield part. We’re tmpted to trade up to a model that has the full windshield but I think they are very expensive! Other than that you can get used to it fairly easily. One tip is to lower your bimini top to dock in a breezy situation...not having that “sail” up helps. (If you indeed have a bimini) boat hooks and a loop pole ago catch dock structure help a lot too.
Just an fyi... My tritoon has a full windshield and other than "looking cool" it doesn't do a dam thing to block wind unless you crouch down behind it...

Dan
Hillcountry (07-19-2018), loonguy (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #28
Hillcountry

Lol thanks! You just saved me many thousands!
Went out alone this morning...well, me and the pooch!
Limited out by 8am one nice bow off Governor’s and a surprise laker on the broads side of Welch near your buddy’s place that owns the Italian boat. I picked up my rod to check the lure and bam! Must have liked the extra movement!
Salmon are still evading me!
Old 08-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #29
loonguy

All the recent discussion of erosion issues, no wake zones, and problematic wakes reinforces my choice of a tritoon rather than other options, especially the wake boats. I do not resent or object to the other options, perhaps because I am on a very quiet part of the lake with no wake boats or ski boats circling in front of my house, which I certainly would find objectionable. It is comforting that my tritoon is less likely to create problems for others on the lake (boaters and property owners) when traveling at comparable speeds, always trying to respect no wake zones and other boats. I do not have a lot of hours logged on the lake, but feel that this forum has been very helpful in learning the rules and respect for others.

Last edited by loonguy; 08-28-2018 at 08:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-28-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 04:30 AM   #30
ApS

Red face "Sail-to-Power—Cheap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Just don't venture out into the broads.
Well, OK...How about a second-hand 16' pontoon boat for one or two—for less than $600—including trailer?

(An FLL Special?)

Good comments at the end of the page:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Con...r-Cheap-Ponto/
Old 10-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #31
Barney Bear

Default Ahoy!

With the motor attached, this vessel will have to be registered and meet all of the requirements of this class of boat. 💰
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #32
fatlazyless

Ahoy! …….. well, just lookie look at that …… geez Louise! ……. someone dun took a 35-year old Hobie sailboat and reincarnated it into a high performance, twin hull skater …… great for pass'n all those other speedy boats out there!

About that Honda 2-hp outboard ….. like all Honda's …. it is reliable, easy start, well made ….. yadda-yadda-yadda …. it's the smallest Honda outboard made and unlike all the others, it is not water cooled ….. it is a 4-stroke, air cooled motor that is very noisy and gets very hot ….. probably becuz it has no water cooled, thermostat controlled cooling system, and the exhaust is from under the cowl, and not under the water …… and it sounds pretty much like a $135 lawn mower from Walmart!

For steering that there tiller handle …… you's gonna need one very long, long, long left arm?

And, the motors in the two different photos are not the same motor ….. so, what's up with that ….. oops, I take that back …… they probably is the same motor …. no conspiracy here!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #33
loonguy

So it was time to put the tritoon into window storage, but, when I tried to start it after a couple of months without using it, all the batteries were dead. The good news was that including the option of the trolling motor with three batteries and a charging unit allowed me to plug it into shore power at my dock and it was good to go the next day. My bowrider did not have that option, but then again the bowrider never went dead in the seven years that I had it. I am now wondering if I inadvertently left something on in the tritoon, or whether there is some defect in the wiring or other equipment. Have others had similar experiences?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #34
Top-Water

Quote:
So it was time to put the tritoon into window storage, but, when I tried to start it after a couple of months without using it, all the batteries were dead. The good news was that including the option of the trolling motor with three batteries and a charging unit allowed me to plug it into shore power at my dock and it was good to go the next day. My bowrider did not have that option, but then again the bowrider never went dead in the seven years that I had it. I am now wondering if I inadvertently left something on in the tritoon, or whether there is some defect in the wiring or other equipment. Have others had similar experiences?
Without knowing the details about your boat, more than likely with all the new electronic gadgetry in boats today even if wired correctly to by manufactures specifications. You probably have a small very low voltage short circuit draining the battery. Very likely not even noticeable when you are using the boat regularly as the battery gets a recharge when you use the boat every few days, but problematic when you don't use it for long periods of time.

Pretty easy to diagnose, usually its something like a clock or the computer in the engine that stays on all the time if it has one. Best way to stop this is with a master battery switch when you know you won't be using the boat for a long periods of time. However there are some other considerations especially the bilge pump if you have one. That is one item you do not want to let the master battery switch have control of.

I'm sure a lot of other folks can tell you about having similar dead battery problems when the boat has not been used for a while and their creative solutions.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
loonguy (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #35
8gv

Pretty much what Top-Water said (he's faster than me).

Some boats have a bit of parasitic battery drain when not in use.

A battery switch can be installed to isolate the batteries while the boat is not in use.

A waterproof solar charger panel can help to keep up with the parasitic drain.

If you get a solar charger be sure to wire in a fuse as they often do not come with one.

The unit I use here came from WalMart. The package made no clain of it being waterpoof but it still works after three seasons of sitting on my swim platform.

The West Marine model I use in FL works well but the corner gromets corroded and left a stain on my swim platform. I repurposed some plastic buttons, that previously held bungee straps to my canvas, to keep the gromets from touching the platform.

I do not know if your toon has a bilge pump. If it does then you will need to keep it powered by the battery side of the switch so it gets power all the time.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
loonguy (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #36
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

Some boats have a bit of parasitic battery drain when not in use.
A very very good description of the problem.

Something like this (link below) usually solves the problem. This one shown below allows for two batteries and in my opinion is the ultimate solution because it has that second battery feature. But there are a ton of other options that are similar to this manufacturer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Perko-Med...SABEgIH3fD_BwE
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
loonguy (11-04-2018)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #37
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I saw a Pontoon on Craigs list a few months ago that had it's own lift system built into the boat. Press a button and the whole thing raised up on stilts.😄

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 AM   #38
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

We have a tritoon in Hanson Cove and have never had an issue with depth, even last year with the low water levels. We don't go to Lee's Mills a lot, but that whole northern area is pretty similar.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #39
Greene's Basin Girl

Our pontoon boat is in Green's Basin. We go to Lee's Mills all the time without any problems. We own a Harris tritoon from Melvin Marina. We love it! go talk to Matt if you are interested in looking at one.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #40
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Good question. Since you apparently know your way around Moultonborough Bay, it would seem draft is only a problem if you don't have enough water at docks you frequent, like your own. I have a 24' deep-vee runabout that draws 25", engine full down. This leads me to believe that your bow-rider with 39" draft may be considerably larger. Obviously, per foot of length, it's hard to beat the load bearing capacity of a 'toon. If you have other boating expectations, say a quick run to Alton Bay for ice cream, I prefer the feeling of safety sitting inside the boat instead of on top when the weather kicks up.
I'm not sure why we don't see more jet boats--the MP has one that is 40 feet and I recall them saying it draws 14" at the dock and 8" on plane. They can put the bow up against almost anybody's shore and still have engines in the water, not tilted up like an I/O or O/B. Maybe there are more jets than I realize, but there is nothing on the outside that visibly tells me it's a jet?
Any jet people out there? We know there are lots who love their 'toons.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #41
kawishiwi

Default Check this

Quote:
Due to the seasonal low lake levels and many underwater hazards near Lees Mill and the Loon Center in Moultonborough, we recently sold our bow rider, which had a 39 inch draft, and are considering buying a tritoon, which has a 14 inch draft. Another option might be a jet powered boat. I welcome any comments and perspectives that might assist our decision. Thanks. (Yes, this is a duplicate of the post I mistakenly posted under the Boating Issues forum. I hope this is not viewed as a contentious issue.)
This might help with non toon choice...
http:///www.boatingmag.com/boat-engine-comparison
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #42
loonguy

Thanks for the helpful perspectives. Based on the comments so far, I am leaning toward buying a tritoon with an outboard motor.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:03 AM   #43
ApS

Smile "'Wise up, America!' and buy the outboard boat engine"

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful perspectives. Based on the comments so far, I am leaning toward buying a tritoon with an outboard motor.
While not in the market, I agree with that choice. Unless a repair shop gives out a "loaner-engine", buyers that opt for two outboards are much less likely to lose a minute of the season due to repairs.

Because I haven't seen a pontoon boat on a boatlift, I'd have to ask if pontoons are more secure from oversized-boat wakes while "parked" at the dock?

Hurricane Irma didn't harm a neighbor's pontoon boat until his bow-eye fitting got torn from the hull! A "case" for longer, thinner, dock lines?

An outboard's draft is only 3" less than a stern drive, according to Boating Magazine's superb three-boat comparison article. I left a comment: https://www.boatingmag.com/boat-engine-comparison :

Quote:
"I'm a great fan of "close" comparison tests such as this one. Well done! I would add that lower initial cost reduces the effect of higher fuel consumption. Also, much storage cost is based on length, so the cost of storage needs to be added to the longer jet-drive design, and that Rotax makes great engines. Note that it's Government regulations that keep the Rotax the noisiest (inside the boat). There may be a workaround for the engineer-owner.

The best line? 'The jet is obnoxiously loud, unless you’ve been riding a personal watercraft and don’t know any better.'"

Old 11-15-2017, 04:04 AM   #44
fatlazyless

How's about a stand-up paddle board?. Looking in craigslist, there's a lot of low priced paddle boards this time of year in their sports section as opposed to the boats section. A high quality , lightweight, fiberglass sup, size 11'6" x 32" only weighs about 35-lbs, and can support someone 250+ lbs while standing up to paddle.

Plus, it uses no gasoline, gives a big exercise workout, and has a draft depth of about 2", plus the 8" fin skeg in the back.

Is good way to lose weight ...... stand up paddle a sup...... no registration, no insurance, no trailer, no motor, no gasoline ..... all you need is an old pair of sneakers, a pfd w/ a whistle, and the big, long paddle.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #45
MBNeckguy

I have a 21 foot bowrider and have had some trouble during a few year on the Kona Shore. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a jet boat. I've never considered one but based on what I'm reading it sounds like a good idea. I still love being able to explore different "shallow" areas of the Lake, a jet boat could be a good option

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #46
Woody38

A jet boat would be a great choice. Fays Boat Yard is selling Wellcraft jet boats. My next foray into boats may well be a jet.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #47
loonguy

The boatingmag link above indicates that, compared to outboard motors, the jet boat tested was very loud, difficult to maneuver, and inefficient with respect to gas consumption. Are there alternative facts out there?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:34 AM   #48
FlyingScot

Quote:
The boatingmag link above indicates that, compared to outboard motors, the jet boat tested was very loud, difficult to maneuver, and inefficient with respect to gas consumption. Are there alternative facts out there?
Sadly for some, we live with only one set of facts in this world.

We thought about a jet boat, but the disadvantages you describe are well accepted, and a few minutes thought on the physics involved confirmed the points for us.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #49
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Sadly for some, we live with only one set of facts in this world.
And, of course, there are alternate facts.

It's how you assemble the facts that matters. When you assemble facts in different ways you get , in this case, different hull designs, propulsion mechanisms, etc.

There was mention above that jet boats are louder. I will grant that new outboards are very quiet compared to the old 2-cycle type, but I would expect two inboard engines (Jet, full inboard, or I/O, to have similar noise levels if they are based on similar engines. I think conversations are difficult at 35 knots whether you are in a jet boat or on a pontoon, so I would tend to discount this item in choosing one or the other.

One interesting thing about the pontoon: At my Marina, we all back into our slips. Difficult sometimes on a windy day. The 'toon a few slips away from me just drives in and boards at the bow which is close to the dock with no outdrive, swim platform etc to bridge. Very convenient.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #50
BlackcatBoater

Because of the above mentioned reasons- I would drive a jet before driving. I do agree that they are quieter than they used to be, but I drove a Chapparal when they first came out, and it seems all of the power is at a higher RPM, so at speed you are around 5-6K RPM, I think redline was up around 8,000. A little engine needs that boost to get the power. Without having a "true" neutral, the boat was constantly moving, I found it much harder to dock than my 'toon. Just my .02.
BlackcatBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #51
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
And, of course, there are alternate facts.

It's how you assemble the facts that matters. When you assemble facts in different ways you get , in this case, different hull designs, propulsion mechanisms, etc.

There was mention above that jet boats are louder. I will grant that new outboards are very quiet compared to the old 2-cycle type, but I would expect two inboard engines (Jet, full inboard, or I/O, to have similar noise levels if they are based on similar engines. I think conversations are difficult at 35 knots whether you are in a jet boat or on a pontoon, so I would tend to discount this item in choosing one or the other.

One interesting thing about the pontoon: At my Marina, we all back into our slips. Difficult sometimes on a windy day. The 'toon a few slips away from me just drives in and boards at the bow which is close to the dock with no outdrive, swim platform etc to bridge. Very convenient.
My quip on "alternate facts" was half in just. The serious half was to point out that "alternate" means in place of another. Your post is a combination of additional facts and opinions. But these are not "alternate" to the facts that, apples to apples, outboards are quieter and easier to control.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #52
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

I know that jet boats use a little more fuel and don't respond as well as other drives at docking speed but I had one and liked it a lot.
No prop to worry about with kids in the water.
No prop or lower unit to worry about in shallow water
Able to reverse at full throttle in case of emergency
They don't back up well but you get used to it and if I was using my boat a lot in shallow water I'd buy one in a minute.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #53
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I know that jet boats use a little more fuel and don't respond as well as other drives at docking speed but I had one and liked it a lot.
No prop to worry about with kids in the water.
No prop or lower unit to worry about in shallow water
Able to reverse at full throttle in case of emergency
They don't back up well but you get used to it and if I was using my boat a lot in shallow water I'd buy one in a minute.
I agree. Many years ago I had the 20 Foot Yamaha with twin 135's and enjoyed it a lot. The newer one's are a lot more quiet and have a deeper V so they ride better. The handling was different but it just took some getting use to and it was fine. The thrust when accelerating or pulling skiers was great.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #54
Little Bear

Fay’s picked up the Scarab jet boat line, which is part of Groupe Beneteau. They own a lot of the popular boat lines.

https://www.beneteau-group.com/en/brands-services/

I bought a 16’ Scarab jet boat last year for use primarily in the shallow backwater near my house in Florida. It’s a fun boat that only draws about 12”. The Bombardier Rotax engine is a great, reliable power plant. Handling is great, noise isn’t that bad at all. Only issue is running in choppy water - it’s like being in a washing machine. But it’s far more practical than a PWC. Fay’s should do well with this line of boats.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #55
loonguy

BoatTest.com reviewed the 2018 19 foot Yamaha jet boats in a post today and suggests the noise problem has been addressed: "Soundproofing made a noticeable difference that went from the screaming levels of the previous models to a more comfortable level that remained low enough where we were actually able to have a conversation while at cruise speed… a conversation about how quiet the boat was." I suspect a pontoon boat would still be much quieter, and the other features probably still provide a better fit for my intended uses.