Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 442
Thanks: 246
Thanked 117 Times in 75 Posts
Default Love me, love my dog

We had a rather unusual situation awhile back, and we’d be interested in forum members’ opinions. We invited some friends over for lunch and a ride on our new-to-us boat. Beautiful day, sunny, warm, not a cloud in the sky, and they arrived.......with their dog, expecting that he’d be welcome aboard, off-white upholstery and all. I was floored! Never imagined in a million years that I would have to qualify the invitation by saying “Two legged animals only!” Are we inhospitable, or just plain nuts? The dog, by the way, was left behind. Believe it or not, I felt guilty, even cruel for denying them their way. In retrospect, it’s annoying to be placed in that situation.

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 09-14-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Need to add
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,460
Thanks: 657
Thanked 674 Times in 395 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We had a rather unusual situation awhile back, and we’d be interested in forum members’ opinions. We invited some friends over for lunch and a ride on our new-to-us boat. Beautiful day, sunny, warm, not a cloud in the sky, and they arrived.......with their dog, expecting that he’d be welcome aboard, off-white upholstery and all. I was floored! Never imagined in a million years that I would have to qualify the invitation by saying “Two legged animals only!” Are we inhospitable, or just plain nuts? The dog, by the way, was left behind. Believe it or not, I felt guilty, even cruel for denying them their way. In retrospect, it’s annoying to be placed in that situation.
You are right: bringing an extra guest--whether human or not--is unacceptable in most circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-19-2019), Jeanzb1 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 AM   #3
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,493
Thanks: 929
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Wink Where I Stand...

How large was the dog? Was it a dog that could be carried for the duration of the trip? What aspect in the presence of a dog had you concerned? Just the newness of the boat? I'd be concerned about a miniature horse, declared as a "comfort animal", but dogs are "family" in today's world. They're seen in Wolfeboro restaurants without objection.

But even a large dog will stand at the bow, detecting things in our environment we can't imagine--all the while protecting "their people" from harm. (Whether two-legged, four-legged, or no-legged).

They're well known for "holding it" aboard boats. Left behind, they'll bark with "separation anxiety", not improving matters with your neighbors.

Mirroring human behavior, they tend to get overexcited when a fish is caught and brought aboard, so there's that one exception to a dog on board I'd reluctantly make.

To keep passengers from damaging cushions or seating structure, some captains insist on bare feet for all aboard, discriminating against shoe-wearing.

If boat cushions are unable to protect against damage, next time, buy some dog booties, and insist the dog wear them.
__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...

...and you won't stink...
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 368
Thanks: 5
Thanked 105 Times in 53 Posts
Default dog on a boat

We have a 10 lb terrier and are dog friendly. That said, I would never ASSUME that our dog would be welcome on someone else's boat. that they did is simply rude and thoughtless.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (09-25-2019), gravy boat (09-19-2019), JanN (09-15-2019), Jeanzb1 (09-15-2019), thinkxingu (09-15-2019), WakeboardMom (09-19-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,433
Thanks: 143
Thanked 991 Times in 370 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
How large was the dog? Was it a dog that could be carried for the duration of the trip? What aspect in the presence of a dog had you concerned? Just the newness of the boat? I'd be concerned about a miniature horse, declared as a "comfort animal", but dogs are "family" in today's world. They're seen in Wolfeboro restaurants without objection.

But even a large dog will stand at the bow, detecting things in our environment we can't imagine--all the while protecting "their people" from harm. (Whether two-legged, four-legged, or no-legged).

They're well known for "holding it" aboard boats. Left behind, they'll bark with "separation anxiety", not improving matters with your neighbors.

Mirroring human behavior, they tend to get overexcited when a fish is caught and brought aboard, so there's that one exception to a dog on board I'd reluctantly make.

To keep passengers from damaging cushions or seating structure, some captains insist on bare feet for all aboard, discriminating against shoe-wearing.

If boat cushions are unable to protect against damage, next time, buy some dog booties, and insist the dog wear them.
Couldn't agree more. We love dogs. Owned (or been owned) by goldens over the years but wouldn't dream of bringing them to anyones home unannounced. Some people have allergies and others just don't want a dog shedding hair, scratching, drooling and barking in their home, or boat in this case. You were right to lay down the law.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-15-2019), Music Man (09-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,655
Thanks: 848
Thanked 409 Times in 262 Posts
Default

My dog is the queen of our boat!
I would never assume that she would be welcomed on anyone else’s boat or car or home or property.
Yesterday was my granddaughter’s birthday party at my daughters home complete with bounce house, 4 year olds running rampant, the young moms overseeing it all and a muggy, rainy afternoon. My dog, which is welcome there on most visits, stayed happily in my truck, where she is also queen.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,856
Thanks: 534
Thanked 355 Times in 245 Posts
Default

I have a dog but I would never assume she would be welcomed on someone else's boat. That being said, I've been invited on some boats where the owners are so anal about everything that it ruins the whole experience to the point that we never go back out with them.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-15-2019), Jeanzb1 (09-15-2019), nfldr31 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,303
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,193 Posts
Default

We allow all well behaved dogs on our boat / boats. We simply put towels down to ensure their claws don’t dig into seats.

With that being said, not everyone is the same and one should never assume your dog is allowed at someone’s house or property without asking first. This is simple common sense.

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 546
Thanks: 291
Thanked 150 Times in 95 Posts
Default

I'm with you, Sue, They should have asked when you invited them
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
nhcatrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 163
Thanks: 19
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

We never take our lab anywhere without asking the host. That being said, she is one of the sweetest dogs, but can be a bit hyper and does jump a bit.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
rick35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bear Island/Merrimack
Posts: 559
Thanks: 29
Thanked 115 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcatrider View Post
We never take our lab anywhere without asking the host. That being said, she is one of the sweetest dogs, but can be a bit hyper and does jump a bit.
Same with our Golden. She is very excitable when people visit and then calms right down and is extremely friendly. But she sheds like crazy and not all people like that. So for that reason she stays home when we go out. Fortunately people who come to visit us generally know and love her too and we always have a lint brush handy for a little de-furring.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #12
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 799
Thanks: 14
Thanked 87 Times in 62 Posts
Default

OP: What if the dog were in fact a bona fide "service animal:" would / should you allow the dog to accompany its owner in that event?
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #13
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 534
Thanked 542 Times in 348 Posts
Default Both

If you have a dog, or know your gusts have a dog, there is some responsibility to discuss everything ahead of time. You ask about who's bringing food, drinks, towels, etc. right? and how long people can last if you don't have a head on board? We love most dogs and most kids, but some need advance planning. You know who you are.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
nfldr31 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #14
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 442
Thanks: 246
Thanked 117 Times in 75 Posts
Default Thank you all

I really appreciate all the different perspectives....and you reinforced our thoughts about handling uninvited guests aboard the boat. The hosts get to make the rules (politely enforced). BTW, the steamboat parade was great this morning with lots of boats playing to an appreciative audience. Bravo!
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
the only place (09-23-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #15
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 534
Thanked 542 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Missed it this year. How many stem boats had dogs? Had I been a spectator boat, Daisy would have been on the bow. Her friends, Brandy and Kodiak, more restrained, would sit in the stern.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #16
Music Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 93
Thanks: 22
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
OP: What if the dog were in fact a bona fide "service animal:" would / should you allow the dog to accompany its owner in that event?
And, furthermore, would you be comfortable with an owner who needs a service animal on board your boat?
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:03 AM   #17
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,460
Thanks: 657
Thanked 674 Times in 395 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
And, furthermore, would you be comfortable with an owner who needs a service animal on board your boat?
I'm confident I would know if anyone I was considering inviting on my boat would have a service dog. That being the case, the issue is moot because I wouldn't be surprised when s/he showed up with fluffy--it would've been part of the invitation process.

Whether or not I would be "comfortable" would depend on the relationship and ability of the person, and rest of the group, to enjoy the outing (safely).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #18
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,856
Thanks: 534
Thanked 355 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Name:  1568891335251.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  52.3 KBShe doesn't like the water but she loves the boat rides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Maman.Catherine (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,655
Thanks: 848
Thanked 409 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
OP: What if the dog were in fact a bona fide "service animal:" would / should you allow the dog to accompany its owner in that event?
A bonafide service dog, yes, it would be allowed. A “support/comfort” kangaroo/weasel/python/bunny/puppy, etc....hmmmm...not so much.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (09-21-2019), Newbiesaukee (09-19-2019), rander7823 (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #20
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,503
Thanks: 230
Thanked 844 Times in 348 Posts
Default

If you ever have mobility trouble or need a support dog take a "Miracle Flight" to Florida.

You will see the people being pushed in a wheelchair go through the fast lane at security and arrive at the gate . They often have their support dog on their lap and go to the head of the line for early boarding. No waiting for them, and it is sad to see they have problems.

Something happens on the "Miracle Flight" because, remarkably, when the plane arrives in Florida they stand up and jog off of the plane. It is amazing to watch!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
brk-lnt
Senior Member
 
brk-lnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Down Shores
Posts: 1,815
Thanks: 485
Thanked 526 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
If you ever have mobility trouble or need a support dog take a "Miracle Flight" to Florida.

You will see the people being pushed in a wheelchair go through the fast lane at security and arrive at the gate . They often have their support dog on their lap and go to the head of the line for early boarding. No waiting for them, and it is sad to see they have problems.

Something happens on the "Miracle Flight" because, remarkably, when the plane arrives in Florida they stand up and jog off of the plane. It is amazing to watch!
And many times they have wheelchairs waiting for them at the jetbridge or right inside the terminal.

If they do not get off the plane with the other passengers, then they have to wait for the entire plane to deboard, possibly blocking some other passengers trying to get out.

I wouldn't call these "miracle flights" at all, just flights with people who have trouble getting around and are trying to do their best to manage it.

I fly quite a bit, primarily in and out of TPA. Can't recall too many times I have seen anyone of any age actually "jog" off of a plane, it's usually a herd of slow moving people.
__________________
[insert witty phrase here]
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #22
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 442
Thanks: 246
Thanked 117 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
And many times they have wheelchairs waiting for them at the jetbridge or right inside the terminal.

If they do not get off the plane with the other passengers, then they have to wait for the entire plane to deboard, possibly blocking some other passengers trying to get out.

I wouldn't call these "miracle flights" at all, just flights with people who have trouble getting around and are trying to do their best to manage it.

I fly quite a bit, primarily in and out of TPA. Can't recall too many times I have seen anyone of any age actually "jog" off of a plane, it's usually a herd of slow moving people.
This is off topic, but I am reminded of our many round trips to Florida. It is astonishing to me how many pre boards in wheelchairs there are, and now it seems that some people are working the system and using wheel chairs when they don’t need them, and THAT is infuriating because it tends to cast doubt on the legitimacy of those who really need them. There are always a few who need to “get an edge” over the rest of us. Too bad.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (09-19-2019), TiltonBB (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #23
rick35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bear Island/Merrimack
Posts: 559
Thanks: 29
Thanked 115 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Attachment 15314She doesn't like the water but she loves the boat rides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
My Golden is the same way. She likes to get up in the bow and is the queen of the world.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #24
brk-lnt
Senior Member
 
brk-lnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Down Shores
Posts: 1,815
Thanks: 485
Thanked 526 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
This is off topic, but I am reminded of our many round trips to Florida. It is astonishing to me how many pre boards in wheelchairs there are, and now it seems that some people are working the system and using wheel chairs when they don’t need them, and THAT is infuriating because it tends to cast doubt on the legitimacy of those who really need them. There are always a few who need to “get an edge” over the rest of us. Too bad.
Doesn't bother me. Seems like a giant pain in the ass way to "work the system" when most of the time for somewhere between $15 and $30 you can pay for priority boarding if you don't already have status. I'd much rather be in the position I am in, able to pay for early boarding if I want it, than having to try and "work the system" and as a result be pushed around in a wheelchair.

If those people feel they are getting some kind of a jump on the rest of us, they can go on believing that for all I care, I am happy to not be part of that mindset.
__________________
[insert witty phrase here]
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #25
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,493
Thanks: 929
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Question Sling Carrier as a Gift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
My Golden is the same way. She likes to get up in the bow and is the queen of the world.
There are carriers of different kinds that would be a welcome solution; unfortunately, getting the dog to the bow would be difficult.

__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...

...and you won't stink...
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #26
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 442
Thanks: 246
Thanked 117 Times in 75 Posts
Default Time for update on the dog lovers

We invited our friends with the dogs for lunch and a boat ride, and we had a wonderful day out on our beautiful lake, and the pooches were nowhere in sight.
Everyone was happy, and since they have the idea about no dogs on our boat, all went perfectly. If this weather holds, we’ll do it again. Enjoy! We have 3 more days in a row of this.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #27
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,664
Thanks: 461
Thanked 825 Times in 574 Posts
Default

I would feel a little differently. I would understand that you don't want dogs, but I wouldn't go if I couldn't bring my dogs. And that would be fine. Of course maybe if I didn't have my own boats and my dogs always go with us, I would be more anxious for a ride. Now if I had BIG dogs, it would be different. I think it makes a difference if they are going to sit on your lap or slobber all around your boat. When we used to have bigger dogs, they didn't go everywhere with us.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #28
RUGMAN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: weirs beach,
Posts: 186
Thanks: 35
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Default always wear PFD

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...1&d=1569068003
Attached Images
 
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #29
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 442
Thanks: 246
Thanked 117 Times in 75 Posts
Default

That is one cute dog!
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.32785 seconds