Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
GWC...

Default Webmaster’s Dream Cam

How’s the Webmaster’s Dream Cam progressing?
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
How’s the Webmaster’s Dream Cam progressing?
The new camera and hardware have been ordered and should arrive in the next few days. I mentioned last fall that the camera could not be installed until spring. That means late April or May when the pier is open and I can work comfortably and safely on the roof.

Until then I plan to do some experimenting with the new camera. It can run in many different modes (on a network, stand-alone w/modem, hooked to a computer, still, streaming, etc.) and I'm going to have to see what is best (and possible) for this installation.

I'm also giving some thought to using the new camera in a different location and leaving the Weirscam as is. With the new camera capable of running in a stand alone mode with a modem I could put it anywhere that I can plug in to power and a phone line or DSL/Cable connection. It's just a thought at this point since a good location and willing host may be hard to find.

I'd welcome any thoughts or opinions on putting the new camera in a different location, especially from anyone who donated to the camera fund. Would you mind if the camera was used at a different location on the lake?

Click here for examples of the quality I'm hoping to get with the new camera.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
webmaster

Default Ps

Just to tease a bit more: I ordered the new camera with the Weather Station option that will superimpose the actual temperature and relative humidity on the camera image.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Impressive Images

Don:
The clarity of those images is really impressive! Do you think this cam will be able to get palm trees too? If my house were on the big lake, I'd be the first to volunteer host the cam! I say put the cam wherever you like. There already are three or so cams at the Weirs as it is. There is good cam coverage from Wolfeboro, Gilford and from our Island Friends! Maybe coverage from Center Harbor, Meredith or Alton Bay would round things out a bit ?? ....and GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to see it! McD
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

My thought...put the new camera at the Weirs, and perhaps find a place to put the "old" unit in Merideth, Center Harbor, Alton Bay (Gillen Marine's building, looking up the bay toward Sandy Point).
Old 03-31-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
GWC...

Wink Have to agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
I say put the cam wherever you like.
McDude has the right idea.

Although, how about Mrs. Webmaster? Does she have a favorite potential location?

She has shared you with this Website and its members and that should warrant some input.

P.S. - Thanks for the update and the teaser info.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
Island Girl

Default Keep it at the Weirs

My opinion would be to keep it at the Weirs. It would be nice if you could find a location with high speed access. The nice part about the current location is the unobstructed view of a large area.

Maybe someone in Alton Bay will let you host your old, trusty cam.. Sandy Point, Shibleys, Gillan Marine?????

Any other ports would be nice... how about Wolfeboro? Brewster Academy towards the town docks??

So many places so few cameras!

Any help you need to set up just give a holler. Come for a weekend.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
put the new camera at the Weirs, and perhaps find a place to put the "old" unit
Whoa, that would double my installation work. The new setup at the Weirs will be a big job as it is. The idea of using the new camera at a different location is based on the fact that the new camera does not require a computer and could run by itself. The old (current) camera needs a dedicated computer and additional hardware.

Putting the new camera somewhere else was just a thought and is unlikely unless a perfect location and situation becomes available. The Weirs location is great and the new high resolution picture should be the best available on the Lake.

I'll post some updates as I make progress. I'll also post some sample pictures when I get the camera running here at home, although they will be of my back yard.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
Island Girl

Default Ok One cam is enough

... don't worry. We don't want you to work too hard. You do enough. Funny but I get emails suggesting all the places I could put a cam!

Again, the offer to help stands.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:03 PM   #10
upthesaukee

sorry Don...Do you really have other things to do in life????? Seriously, do let us know what we can do to help when you do come up. We'd be glad to help.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 PM   #11
Pepper

Talking Our Cupolo?

Don, Waldo and I would like to offer you a place on top of our cupolo, or on top of the Cessna. The view of all the Weirs from up there is pretty impressive. If you're interested, the invitation is always open. We can offer you a safe dry location with year-round access to your equipment.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #12
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

It really is a shame that WMUR’s Meredith cam is not publicly accessible. I e-mailed them, but never heard back.
I also sent an e-mail to Church Landing about them hosting a webcam. I pointed out what great publicity it would offer their business and the surrounding area. My inquiry seems to have fallen on deaf ears. The person whom responded wasn’t interested.
Alton Bay (Once called Merrymeeting Bay) sounds like a great location.
How about a mobile one on the Mount!?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #13
GWC...

Default Good idea, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
How about a mobile one on the Mount!?
She would have to drag a very long cable behind her, it we desired to view the image without being onboard.

The baud rate is not sufficient for wireless transmission.

Last edited by GWC...; 04-01-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #14
trfour

Post Its your call, Don

We trust in you. " What a camera! "

Just an idea... Mount it some where near Weirs Bridge high on a turret, so as to enable both a north and south view of the channel. This could help deter the ( yes wakers ) , and at the end of the day, when boat traffic slows, you could pan over to the Weirs Drive In, put the camera on stream, and we could watch a movie!

Remember, Weirscam has been a staple here, for many years and could be left in place saving relocation, maybe this new camera could create a better vantage point from here.......

No matter, don't feel in a rush Don, we are all behind you!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:08 AM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Default Perhaps in 2008 or so

Quote:
She would have to drag a very long cable behind her, it we desired to view the image without being onboard.

The baud rate is not sufficient for wireless transmission.

... we'll have 802.16e (aka WiMax) over the lake. Then you'll have broadband everywhere, anytime. At least if you believe Intel. Mebbe by then we'll have cell phones that work in Alton Bay too ... naaah

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wimax.htm
Old 04-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #16
GWC...

Wink very interesting, indeed...

Interesting info, especially the last part:

WiFi-style access will be limited to a 4-to-6 mile radius (perhaps 25 square miles or 65 square km of coverage, which is similar in range to a cell-phone zone). Through the stronger line-of-sight antennas, the WiMAX transmitting station would send data to WiMAX-enabled computers or routers set up within the transmitter's 30-mile radius (3,600 square miles or 9,300 square km of coverage). This is what allows WiMAX to achieve its maximum range.

The biggest difference isn't speed; it's distance. WiMAX outdistances WiFi by miles. WiFi's range is about 100 feet (30 m). WiMAX will blanket a radius of 30 miles (50 km) with wireless access. The increased range is due to the frequencies used and the power of the transmitter. Of course, at that distance, terrain, weather and large buildings will act to reduce the maximum range in some circumstances, but the potential is there to cover huge tracts of land.

The cost for this service could be much lower than current high-speed Internet-subscription fees because the provider never had to run cables.

This begs the query: Why are companies spending money to replace copper cable with fiber optical cable if this medium is so close to reality?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #17
upthesaukee

Quote:
Interesting info, especially the last part:...

...This begs the query: Why are companies spending money to replace copper cable with fiber optical cable if this medium is so close to reality?
One answer may lie in the problem that faces Cellular Service...Every town around the lake will agree that the service is over all poor, and what is needed with the current technology is more towers...but not in our town!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With as much hoopla that develops over cell towers, think of the controversy that will arise from having WiMax antennas on the highest points of land (for best coverage and widest terrain-interference coverage) and the cost of running the landlines up to those towers and the problems associated with it like landowners who do not want the cables crossing their property, groups that will not want the trees cut and forests disturbed to allow the cables to go up the hill, etc..

If we see that service, I think it will be pretty much limited to urban and suburban areas, and highly subscripted at that (ie, Mucho Dinero!!!!).

Just my thought.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #18
GWC...

Default Curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
Just to tease a bit more: I ordered the new camera with the Weather Station option that will superimpose the actual temperature and relative humidity on the camera image.

Will it look something like this or this or this?

Last edited by GWC...; 04-02-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:12 PM   #19
RI Swamp Yankee

Question

Maybe the "old" cam could be turned to face the boardwalk and the "new" one face where the old one does now. ? That would give quite a view of the mid June event without having to be there.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default NASWA Beach bar

How about asking Cynthia if you can install it at the beach bar? The view there is pretty impresive......