Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
GWC...

Thumbs up Webmaster's Dream Cam..

The Webmaster has expressed a desire to acquire a better camera, with the hopes of installing it by next Spring. The cost is approximately $800.00. If you look at the Weirs Channel cam site, you will notice that Scott has a similar desire and extends the price to about $1100. - this includes a tele lens and appropriate software.

Just a thought, but does anyone else have a desire for a webcam at Meredith and Wolfeboro, as part of this site, also.

That would make the total = 3 webcams and a cost of approximately $3300.

Currently, there are 950 members of this site.

If 1/4 of the membership, approximately 238 members, were to contribute $15.00 each, the webcam fund would swell to $3570.00. That should be enough for Don to purchase and setup his "dream" cameras.

Don has contributed his time, effort, energy, and personal funds to the generous betterment of the rest of us who utilize this site to maintain some degree of sanity and also seek advice from those more knowledgeable and experienced.

Despite what the Federal Reserve Board and "crazy" Al say, some are "enjoying" challenging times and may not be able to financially support this effort, although their desire to do so is just as strong.

That's why it is hoped that perhaps 1/4 of the membership would be able to make a donation.

This site has been a win-win situation for a lot of its members and it is my opinion, yours may differ, that supporting Don's one desire would be a generous show of support for all he has done to enrich our lives, even if just a little better.

This post may come as a shock to Don; because it is posted without his prior knowledge. I just decided to "take the bull by the horns" and let the chips fall where they may. Some may donate; others may flame this post - that's life in a free society.

As you can see by the following quote, Don does not desire to "put his hand out"; I, on the other hand, am not bashful asking for donations that will directly benefit the membership of this wonderful site.

Please think about this opportunity to show your appreciation to Don.

Thank you in advance,

GWC...

P.S.- NOTE: You will need to read the Webmaster's post # 7, with regards to any donations.

I elected to send a money order to his address; rather than use PayPal - scroll down to "Make a cash contribution." You will have to email Don for his address, If you elect to pay by check. Yes, the check is in the mail - consider the camera fund as a reality. It is up to the rest of those able, to allow its goal to be reached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
Sorry if I sounded annoyed. I didn't mean to. I was just sending a quick reply as I flew out the door for work.

The failed power supply is just one of those little transformers that you plug into the wall to power or charge devices like cell phones, etc. Fortunately it is a minor expense although I have got my eye on a real high-quality camera ($800) that I hope to purchase this winter and have operating for next season. The quality would beat anything on the Lake right now. Here's a sample of what it can do:

Many of you have asked how to make a donation or otherwise help support this site. I've put together a new page with several options.

I have been reluctant to add this page because the site is and will always be 100% free to visitors. I don't like to put my hand out and I would really prefer to have advertisers fund it. However, many of you have asked so here it is.

Thanks to everyone for all the nice emails, support and encouragement.

Don

Last edited by GWC...; 08-18-2004 at 01:34 AM. Reason: update donation methodology...
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Skip

Thumbs up Fantastic idea!

Also, do you think (to piggyback on your donation) it would be appropriate to garner donations or hold some sort of raffle at September's get-together to enhance this fund?
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Setting up a paypal account is fast and easy and in my experience quite secure. click here to set up paypal account Many of us winni.com folks used paypal to help Keith out at Wolfeboro-on-line a few months back when that web cam fell into disrepair. There are already 3 webcams in Wolfeboro and another on Lake Wentworth click for Wolfeboro Downtown Cam (hmmm...raining in Wolfeboro at the moment....looks like two of the cams are down.) A webcam in Alton Bay might be nice though. Consider this, however, running and maintaining three web cams might be quite taxing as Island Girl or Bear Islander might attest.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
trfour

Thumbs up I'm with you all on this topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Also, do you think (to piggyback on your donation) it would be appropriate to garner donations or hold some sort of raffle at September's get-together to enhance this fund?
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/howtohelp.html
I think that the cash option would be the best, as it would allow Don to use the proceeds in any way that he needs, to upgrade this Site, without handcuffs, so to speek and by doing so, would make this Site even more inviting to potential Sponsors.
This is only my view, and I plan on donating in this way.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 08-11-2004 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up I like it

Quote:
Count me in

I like the idea of an Alton Bay cam though I don't know who down there could/would host it. Ideally some business would see it as an advertising bonus and be willing to find space (and I assume a dedicated phone line barring some other form of WWW access) for it. I'll try to drop by Shibleys this weekend and see if there's any interest there.

I think it would benefit people* if such cams could be setup not only to catch the scenic views but also to show slip-space at the town docks. How about a panning cam; if you could display the last few images you could have a panoramic view ! Uh uh, better hope for 50% participation by the membership.

*alas not us as we don't have phone, let alone Interent access, at the cabin.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
Outlaw

Default I'm in !

Excellent idea GWC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
P.S.- You will notice an option to click if you desire to send a donation through PayPal.
I may be as blind as a bat (and as dingy as one sometimes ) but I did find the Paypal option. If that's the case - can you send me private email as to where I should send my contribution.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Whew, just got back from fixing the WeirsCAM. It was a little more complicated than I expected but that gave me a chance to spend even more time at the Lake! Did anyone see me on the roof of the pier at Weirs Beach today?

I am going to set up a separate donation system to raise funds for the new camera. By separating it I will be able to show how it's doing, like Wolfeboro Online did. If I can raise the funds quickly I could have the new camera up this fall. I'll try to have the camera donation system up this weekend.

I would love to put another camera on the Lake at a location like Alton Bay but it really isn't as easy as it sounds. First you need a good location and the cooperation of the building owner. A good location is vital. Then you need power, a dedicated phone line, dial up account and a place to put the various hardware needed to manage the camera remotely. The owner of the building has to be willing to allow all this hardware and wiring to be installed. Oh and don't forget the $1500-$2000 initial investment (if you want high-quality) and the ongoing expense of the phone line (about $50/month) and dial-up account.

As much as I would like to be involved individual businesses around the Lake would be wise to do it on their own. I can think of several great locations. A WebCAM is a great way to draw attention to a Web site or business. I know there are some services on the Lake that will install. It's tough for me to offer that service since I'm down in the Boston area and have a full-time job to work around.

I think the number of cameras on the Lake will continue to grow and the image quality will continue to improve. I will cooperate in any way I can with people who want to install their own cameras. I have provided a free server account for the new Snake Eyes camera and will do the same for anyone else who is serious about setting up a new camera.

Please hold off on any camera-related donations until I get the new donation system set up.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
Outlaw

Red face Sorry for bringing this up...but...someone had to ask

Quote:
Quote:

If 1/4 of the membership, approximately 238 members, were to contribute $15.00 each, the webcam fund would swell to $3570.00.

Not to be an annoying pain in the **tt, BUT, I'm thinking we must have a CPA or two, along with a half a dozen accountants and maybe one Tax Attorney on this web site who might ask the dreaded question on how this "income" (to Don) is reported....... I do not know if there is currently in place any sort of business structure, but it might be something to consider setting up a quick and simple structured 'Non-Profit' organization for this - and all income can be offset by the cost of the cameras and then the general maintenance from year to year.....just a thought and if its a lame one, please feel free to say so.

("I guess once a bean counter always a bean counter.")
Old 08-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Island Girl

Default WebCam operation

The setup and ongoing costs of operating a webcam are not trivial. Don is right, it is a great way for a business to get people to see their message. One of the marinas in Alton Bay might be a good place for a cam, or maybe a few of the small businesses there could get together and fund one.

Snake Eyes is a labor of love and I hope to be able to keep funding it. Without Don hosting rattlesnakecam.com I may not have done it. I will forever sing praise to our dedicated webmaster! I appreciate all the wonderful comments I have received about Snake Eyes and encourage you all to keep viewing on the cams around the lake.

Keith in Wolfeboro took a lot of abuse over the last year or two when his cam kept breaking. This forum is a good place to let people know that we can not always get to our cams to fix them, wipe off the rain and bugs or upgrade the quality. We appreciate your support and patience.

Just keep clicking!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:25 PM   #10
Outlaw

Quote:

I think this is an excellent idea. I always love finding ways to raise money for a good cause (donation). I think we should definitely do this on September 11th.

I attended an event last year at the Margate that was put on by the US Power Squadron with the US Coast Guard in attendance. The individual members had a few tables set up with items on them that they donated to be raffled off and the proceeds from the raffle were donated to a specific cause.

It was really a neat way they organized the raffle, unlike the traditional ones that I am familiar with where all the purchased raffle tickets go in to one big bowl and numbers are drawn as each prize is brought up. This raffle, there were containers (small boxes, cups, bowls - whatever could hold raffle tickets) in front of EACH ITEM. You purchase however many raffle tickets you want and YOU place your tickets in the container in front of as many items as you like as many times as you like. That way if you were to win, you would win something that was of interest to you.

The items raffled ranged from framed photos, to margarita glasses, to hand made crafts, to nautical clothing.

The only cost would be the actual raffle tickets, the items to be raffled are donations made from the generous forum members and all we would need are a few tables and some containers to hold the tickets in for each item to be raffled.

I'll volunteer some of my time to setting up / coordinating this activity (my only other idea for an activity was a Dunk Tank and we could charge for each throw).

Thoughts and comments on this idea of a raffle for the September gathering are encouraged.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:06 PM   #11
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw

Not to be an annoying pain in the **tt, BUT, I'm thinking we must have a CPA or two, along with a half a dozen accountants and maybe one Tax Attorney on this web site who might ask the dreaded question on how this "income" (to Don) is reported.......

Thanks for the thought but I'm married to an accountant and it is a big part of my "real" job as well. I've got it under control (famous last words ).

By the way, it's OK to say **tt here.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:30 PM   #12
Outlaw

Quote:
Thanks for the thought but I'm married to an accountant and it is a big part of my "real" job as well. I've got it under control (famous last words ).

By the way, it's OK to say **tt here.
Sounds like you're in good shape Don. Just couldn't help myslef, like I said 'once a bean counter always a bean counter', it never stops.

It's ok to say tt, cool!!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 AM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
I think this is an excellent idea. I always love finding ways to raise money for a good cause (donation). I think we should definitely do this on September 11th.
Outlaw has some great ideas for fundraising. Just how many people plan to attend the gathering? It won’t be too good if only a handful of us show up.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #14
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
The items raffled ranged from framed photos, to margarita glasses, to hand made crafts, to nautical clothing.
Outlaw: I'd be pleased to bring along a few framed photos or postcards for part of a raffle!

(HEY! I finally figured out the "quote" feature!)
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #15
GWC...

Thumbs up One grain of sand at a time will eventually fill the bucket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
It won’t be too good if only a handful of us show up.
If that handful pledge to donate $15.00 each, that will be great.

Talk is cheap; the Webmaster's dream camera is not.

It can happen; but only with positive thoughts...

Last edited by GWC...; 08-12-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #16
SIKSUKR

This forum is filled with wonderfull people donating their time and effort.I think the regular posters know who these people are.Thanks thanks thanks again so much for the great job you people do.Count me in on donating when they are ready to be taken. SS
Old 08-12-2004, 11:02 AM   #17
Outlaw

Default Our first Raffle Donation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Outlaw: I'd be pleased to bring along a few framed photos or postcards for part of a raffle!

(HEY! I finally figured out the "quote" feature!)
Too funny-after 400 odd posts you got the quote thing down pat -not that this has been available to us in the old days-but still I'm .

Thank you, thank you, thank you mcdude for your donation. I will work with mee-n-mac (with the list of who's attending etc.) and work on a sign up list of who is donating what for the raffle and post the raffle list for others to sign up.

Thanks again !
Old 08-14-2004, 02:34 PM   #18
GWC...

Talking Just curious...

If a wood chuck could chuck wood, is a webmaster's feet webbed?

Sorry, just had to ask - needed to put this thread "above the fold" for all to see and read.

P.S.- Must be the rain from Bonnie and the impending deluge from Charlie.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:51 AM   #19
Justenuff

Talking I'm In!!

Don and all:

Sitting here in Mass today with the remnants of Charley dowsing my day and one of the first things I do is check what's going on at the lake. Seeing the thread made me think about my last trip to West Marine: $120 with nothing really to show for it??

I made my donation this morning via Paypal. Please accept this not as a true donation, but as a token of my appreciation for providing a source of entertainment. I don't have to turn on the TV, I can check out the website and the webcams!

Keep up the good work and keep the site humming....

Let's see, can the webcam get installed before the snow flies? Hate to have Don up there in the winter time.... :
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:54 AM   #20
GWC...

Default Opportunity to Show your Support for the Webmaster's Appreciation WebCam(s)...

The Webmaster has expressed a desire to acquire a better camera, with the hopes of installing it by next Spring. The cost is approximately $800.00. If you look at the Weirs Channel cam site, you will notice that Scott has a similar desire and extends the price to about $1100. - this includes a tele lens and appropriate software.

Just a thought, but does anyone else have a desire for a webcam at Meredith and Wolfeboro, as part of this site, also.

That would make the total = 3 webcams and a cost of approximately $3300.

Currently, there are 950 members of this site.

If 1/4 of the membership, approximately 238 members, were to contribute $15.00 each, the webcam fund would swell to $3570.00. That should be enough for Don to purchase and setup his "dream" cameras.

Don has contributed his time, effort, energy, and personal funds to the generous betterment of the rest of us who utilize this site to maintain some degree of sanity and also seek advice from those more knowledgeable and experienced.

Despite what the Federal Reserve Board and "crazy" Al say, some are "enjoying" challenging times and may not be able to financially support this effort, although their desire to do so is just as strong.

That's why it is hoped that perhaps 1/4 of the membership would be able to make a donation.

This site has been a win-win situation for a lot of its members and it is my opinion, yours may differ, that supporting Don's one desire would be a generous show of support for all he has done to enrich our lives, even if just a little better.

This post may come as a shock to Don; because it is posted without his prior knowledge. I just decided to "take the bull by the horns" and let the chips fall where they may. Some may donate; others may flame this post - that's life in a free society.

As you can see by the following quote, Don does not desire to "put his hand out"; I, on the other hand, am not bashful asking for donations that will directly benefit the membership of this wonderful site.

Please think about this opportunity to show your appreciation to Don.

Thank you in advance,

GWC...

P.S.- NOTE: You will need to read the Webmaster's post # 7, with regards to any donations.

I elected to send a money order to his address; rather than use PayPal - scroll down to "Make a cash contribution." You will have to email Don for his address, If you elect to pay by check. Yes, the check is in the mail - consider the camera fund as a reality. It is up to the rest of those able, to allow its goal to be reached.

Quote:
Sorry if I sounded annoyed. I didn't mean to. I was just sending a quick reply as I flew out the door for work.

The failed power supply is just one of those little transformers that you plug into the wall to power or charge devices like cell phones, etc. Fortunately it is a minor expense although I have got my eye on a real high-quality camera ($800) that I hope to purchase this winter and have operating for next season. The quality would beat anything on the Lake right now. Here's a sample of what it can do:

Many of you have asked how to make a donation or otherwise help support this site. I've put together a new page with several options.

I have been reluctant to add this page because the site is and will always be 100% free to visitors. I don't like to put my hand out and I would really prefer to have advertisers fund it. However, many of you have asked so here it is.

Thanks to everyone for all the nice emails, support and encouragement.

Don
Old 08-18-2004, 06:13 AM   #21
JohnNH

I am in the high technology business and we sell/service video surveillance equipment as well as a host of telecommunications/data solutions. This product suite includes cameras, controllers, multiplexing equipment, IP remote camera access software and media storage.

Let me know what model cameras (etc.) your looking at and I will ask the owner of our company if we can get them at a good/better price -- perhaps even cost.

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:14 AM   #22
GWC...

Talking Curious question to Webmaster...

Quote:
Whew, just got back from fixing the WeirsCAM. It was a little more complicated than I expected but that gave me a chance to spend even more time at the Lake! Did anyone see me on the roof of the pier at Weirs Beach today?

I am going to set up a separate donation system to raise funds for the new camera. By separating it I will be able to show how it's doing, like Wolfeboro Online did. If I can raise the funds quickly I could have the new camera up this fall. I'll try to have the camera donation system up this weekend.
Any luck (time) creating a WebCam Fund thermometer to show its progress?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #23
webmaster

Exclamation

Quote:
Any luck creating a WebCam Fund thermometer to show its progress?
No thermometer yet but here is the donation page that shows how to donate and how much has been received so far.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and willingness to support the WeirsCAM Upgrade!

Don
Old 08-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #24
GWC...

Thumbs up WebCam update...

The fund total as of August 20, 2004 is $247.75

Remember, one grain of sand at a time will fill the bucket...

Thank the Webmaster; Think WebCam...

Last edited by GWC...; 08-21-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #25
JG1222

Default My Way of Saying Thanks

I just made a donation using PayPal. It was quick, easy, and most of all it made me feel good.

I almost moved on to the next thread thinking "Hey, I'll do it later", but it took 2 seconds. I hate to sound like a PBS host, but if you're considering donating, I encourage you to just do it now.

I wish I could have done more, but it was just my way of saying thanks.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote