Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
GWC...

Question Weirscam Problem

What is meant by the message on the WeirsCam webcam?

Is the problem software or hardware related?

7-29-04 to 8-09-04 seems a long time.

Does the camera need replacing?

Are donations needed?

If so, is the Medfield address okay?

Last edited by GWC...; 09-26-2004 at 11:32 AM.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
What is meant by the message on the WeirsCam webcam?

Is the problem software or hardware related?

7-29-04 to 8-09-04 seems a long time.
A small power supply has failed and I will be returning this week to complete the repair.

I made a trip up from Boston last week to troubleshoot and will go back this week to finish. With a full time job and busy weekend schedules that is as fast as I can do it.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:32 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

It seems Don has a busy schedule and goes over and above to keep this site running.Can't imagine what it would be without him.I don't believe GWC meant to be abrasive with his post.There are many other webcams linked here while repairs are being made.The Anchor marine cam is pretty darn close to the weirscam if someone needs their Weirs fix. SS
Old 08-10-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
GWC...

Default Not a shot at Don...

Don,

Not complaining, just did not want you burdened financially. You give too much of yourself to this site. Too much of your time is spent keeping this website active and in working condition. It is appreciated.

Power supplies, even small ones, are not free. Neither is the fuel to commute to fix a problem. Your time has value, as well. Vehicles are not free, either, nor their upkeep from miles spent servicing this site.

I was in hopes that a Lake calendar would become a reality. It would help funnel some money toward this site; but some photoposters seem more concerned about their copyrights than this site. Wonder if they obtained a release from the property owners who provided the setting for a majority of their pictures? Funny, how ones financial right is not anothers! Funny, how something is free to one; but the rest are expected to pay. Yes, camera equipment to take pictures cost money; but so does this site. Perhaps Don should charge an access fee - what's fair for one should be fair for another. (Yes, that was a shot; but not at you, Don!!!)

Is there any possibility of a webcam in Meredith and Wolfeboro? How much would it cost? What's involved in setting them up?

Be that as it may and yes, I'm grumpy; but not at you, Don. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

P.S.- Sometimes, GWC = Grumpy Winnipeople Critic

Last edited by GWC...; 08-10-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
I don't believe GWC meant to be abrasive with his post.
Sorry if I sounded annoyed. I didn't mean to. I was just sending a quick reply as I flew out the door for work.

The failed power supply is just one of those little transformers that you plug into the wall to power or charge devices like cell phones, etc. Fortunately it is a minor expense although I have got my eye on a real high-quality camera ($800) that I hope to purchase this winter and have operating for next season. The quality would beat anything on the Lake right now. Here's a sample of what it can do:

Many of you have asked how to make a donation or otherwise help support this site. I've put together a new page with several options.

I have been reluctant to add this page because the site is and will always be 100% free to visitors. I don't like to put my hand out and I would really prefer to have advertisers fund it. However, many of you have asked so here it is.

Thanks to everyone for all the nice emails, support and encouragement.

Don
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
webmaster

Default WeirsCAM is Fixed

The WeirsCAM is back in operation.

After replacing the bad power supply I discovered that the cause of the failure was an outdoor cable junction that had leaked and filled up with water, causing shorts.

In the next few months I'm going to replace the entire 200' of cable with new, weatherproof cable to eliminate all splices or junctions. That will help me sleep better at night this winter, when I wouldn't have the access to the building and roof necessary to find and fix this kind of problem.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:34 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
I was in hopes that a Lake calendar would become a reality. It would help funnel some money toward this site...
I too was hoping a calendar would be a good fund raising technique. My husband, who has been in the printing industry for almost thirty years, opened my eyes to the challenging economics of producing a local calendar. Assuming the art preparation and photographs were donated, the printing cost alone for small quantities could be at least $4,000, with the likely outcome of losing money. By the time you share proceeds with the retailers and the printer you would have to sell an awful lot of calendars, which have a short shelf life. He convinced me the risk was not worth the potential reward. I was also reminded that an image that looks acceptable on a computer screen might not look as impressive with high quality printing.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:17 AM   #8
GWC...

Wink Kodak has a different opinion...

A search of calendar produced this from the past. ***NOTE: See Grant's post.

A web search for Ofoto, produced this interesting information and price.

The calendar was merely a vehicle to funnel some funds to this site.

The $15.00 donation idea for the new cam(s) is more effective and less debatable, as to its feasibility.

Last edited by GWC...; 08-12-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

Don,I would be happy to help you with that cable if need be.Actually any mechanical and/or physical help you need for this website,just e-mail me and I will do my best to help.It would be a small thank you for your hard work. SS