Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Outdoorsman

Default Truck crashes through ice on Lake Winnipesaukee

I thought the Pond Hockey tournament was to be held on Waukewan?

MEREDITH, N.H. —A pickup truck crashed through the ice on Lake Winnipesaukee, but the driver escaped.

State officials said John Ash, 44, was headed out about 5:30 a.m. Friday to set up a vending station for this weekend's New England Pond Hockey Classic.

About 100 yards offshore where the ice was about 4 inches thick, Ash heard the ice crack. He tried reversing, but the truck went nose first into the lake. The water was about 6 feet deep, and Ash escaped safely.

Moving water apparently kept the ice from getting thicker there. About 30 feet away, the ice was 10 inches thick.

The truck has been removed from the lake.

Officials caution lake users to be sure of ice thickness and remember that it varies from spot to spot.

http://www.wmur.com/news/truck-crash...aukee/31012856
[/I][/I]
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
hoopdawg

isn't that the one that happened

Jan 30, 2015 - A pickup truck crashed through the ice on Lake Winnipesaukee, but the driver escaped
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
hoopdawg

THIS WAS LAST JAN 2015 !!!!

MEREDITH, N.H. —A pickup truck crashed through the ice on Lake Winnipesaukee, but the driver escaped.

State officials said John Ash, 44, was headed out about 5:30 a.m. Friday to set up a vending station for this weekend's New England Pond Hockey Classic.

About 100 yards offshore where the ice was about 4 inches thick, Ash heard the ice crack. He tried reversing, but the truck went nose first into the lake. The water was about 6 feet deep, and Ash escaped safely.

Moving water apparently kept the ice from getting thicker there. About 30 feet away, the ice was 10 inches thick.

Officials caution lake users to be sure of ice thickness and remember that it varies from spot to spot.
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
Outdoorsman

Default You are correct

My bad! This IS from last year.... wonder why it popped up on MUR's home page....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopdawg View Post
isn't that the one that happened

Jan 30, 2015 - A pickup truck crashed through the ice on Lake Winnipesaukee, but the driver escaped
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
My bad! This IS from last year.... wonder why it popped up on MUR's home page....
Because it's WMUR...
Airedale1 (02-02-2016), upthesaukee (02-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Because it's WMUR...
And the date on their site is also 2015. Someone dredged up a year old link.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default WMUR fine reporting and Web pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post

If you haven't noticed, when you are reading a current news item, you may have a section along the side or at the bottom that says this news may interest you as well. Some of it is similar, some is not, but virtually all is old news, from weeks to months old. Gotta love it. As they say: "Nobody covers New Hampshire like we do!!!!! " (Thank God)
trfour (02-07-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
GTO

Default stay tuned.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopdawg View Post
THIS WAS LAST JAN 2015 !!!!

This may be from last year but stay tuned, its just a matter of time. Went over to Long Island on Sunday and there was an SUV parked on the ice right off the beach. Granted, it was probably only a few inches of water but why do it at all? Even the ice huts in Meredith that were close to shore all week, are now being pushed out deeper. Am I the only one that watches the weather?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This may be from last year but stay tuned, its just a matter of time. Went over to Long Island on Sunday and there was an SUV parked on the ice right off the beach. Granted, it was probably only a few inches of water but why do it at all? Even the ice huts in Meredith that were close to shore all week, are now being pushed out deeper. Am I the only one that watches the weather?
I agree, not only watches the weather are we the only ones who have been outside lately? Wouldn't catch my truck out there this season!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote