Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
CrownRay

Default Bike the entire lake!

Hi,

Has anyone ever rode their bike around the entire lake? Thats, pedal bike, not motorcycle. What is the approx. distance? How are the climbs? I do a 50 mile charity ride in the Berkshires every fall, so I figured it might be a good route to train on. I would start on Rt 25 in Multonboro (near "Fullers").

If you have done it, I would appreciate any insight...thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

It's about 72 miles.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
DPatnaude

I ride quite a bit from the Moultonborough area and have ridden around the lake just to say that I did it.

I am sure that with 50 mile rides in the Berkshires that you can handle the ride around the lake, but there are probably other rides that would be more enjoyable in the area.

Meredith to Center Harbor is one of the less enjoyable sections on 25 with heavy traffic, narrow shoulders, and poor pavement condition.

Dave
DPatnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
CrownRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatnaude View Post
I ride quite a bit from the Moultonborough area and have ridden around the lake just to say that I did it.

I am sure that with 50 mile rides in the Berkshires that you can handle the ride around the lake, but there are probably other rides that would be more enjoyable in the area.

Meredith to Center Harbor is one of the less enjoyable sections on 25 with heavy traffic, narrow shoulders, and poor pavement condition.

Dave
Yeah, I do recall that RT 25 can be tricky.. I remember last year I rode to Mt. Whittier...it was nice around 6AM but comming back, between the airport (Multonboro) and Fullers, YIKES!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
ITD

I mapped a ride around the Lake with detours around most of 25 in Meredith, but I haven't done it yet. The traffic is a real concern for me, most of the roads are main drags. The Moultonboro cycle club rides just about every week during the summer and are a great bunch of people. They have a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67170109800

I like to ride around Squam and the smaller lakes, about a 40 mile loop starting from the supermarket in CH. The roads are pretty quiet except for a few stints on 3 and 25B. Grandma's hill in Sandwich used to kick my butt, but not any more, it just hurts some now.....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
fatlazyless

I bicycle pedalled all around the lake once on a ten speed bike, starting in Wolfeboro, and recall the hill going up to the high school in Meredith was a very tough pedal.

New Hampshire passed a bicycle safety law about two years ago that requires cars to stay three, four or five feet away from a bicyclist, depending on the car speed: Up to 30mph - three feet; up to 40mph - four feet; up to 50mph - five feet.
Cycliste (09-16-2012)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
LakesRegionSpirit

WOW Fest, this year taking place on Saturday, Sept. 17, has a 67-mile Bike Challenge. The start/end is the Lac. Ath and Swim Club, but you can start/end anywhere..

here is the map of the route.

http://www.wowtrail.com/images/stori...lake%20map.pdf
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakesRegionSpirit For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-16-2012)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
lawn psycho

I've done it many times during my Ironman training days. The hills are one after the other so pace accordingly. I prefer short steep hills rather than long never-ending ones.

Traffic can be an issue on the western side of the lake as there are long stretches with no shoulder so be prepared for the inpatient drivers and I recommend wearing a bright jersey to keep you visible in the curvy and shady areas. Best bet is to get an early start.

Makes for some great training going around the lake and if you do it once a week you are ready for any century in New England without a doubt.

Oh yeah, I prefer to go counter clockwise.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Gearhead

The eastern side of the lake is the best to ride, but there are some pretty scary places there too. 28A (Alton) is really nice until you got to the tip of the bay. There's no shoulder and on the northbound side it's all rock so there's no place to ditch your bike if someone decides they can pass you without moving over. Route 11 heading into Gilford is pretty narrow at times and there are lots of corners, but if you're wearing a bright jersey you can make it through alive. I prefer my rides in the early morning when it's just me and the bass fishermen towing their boats.

I also prefer CCW. Must be 'cause I too went to UNH and also am from coastal ME.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
PapaDon

Since my knees will no longer allow me to use a bicycle on this trip, I'd like to try it on my moped. Some former biking buddies may go again this year, and I asked if I could accompany them if they go. I've done it by car occasionally, usually to take my elderly mother-in-law for her annual trip around the lake, but I'd like to try the open-air trip. Since the moped basically moves at bicycle speed and won't go over 33 downhill, I figure that's as close as I'll get to bicycling it with the now-bad knees.
PapaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

You'll still probably have to use those knees on some of the hills though with that moped.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
PapaDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
You'll still probably have to use those knees on some of the hills though with that moped.
Yes, but at least they'll have help from the 50cc engine!
PapaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Cycliste

Old thread but thought it would be worth reviving. Yes, I have bicycled around Lake Winni numerous times, it is a great ride and my favorite time to do it is about now maybe even early October.

The Granite States Wheelmen used to have an annual ride I joined a few times. It was a small group, many were guys from the Portsmouth Boat Yard, some strong riders who could swallow up those hills passed Weirs Beach all the way to Wolfeboro. Though I didn't see it listed on their club calendar lately.

It's a great ride, one of my favorites.
Cycliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
matthew7:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
It's about 72 miles.
The ride around Lake Winnipesaukee is 72 miles? That's an easy one to remember. It's the same number as the Big Lake's surface in square miles.

matthew7:12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Belmont Resident

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I bicycle pedalled all around the lake once on a ten speed bike, starting in Wolfeboro, and recall the hill going up to the high school in Meredith was a very tough pedal.

New Hampshire passed a bicycle safety law about two years ago that requires cars to stay three, four or five feet away from a bicyclist, depending on the car speed: Up to 30mph - three feet; up to 40mph - four feet; up to 50mph - five feet.
That is a great idea FLL but what about the boneheads that take up the whole road on bikes. I JUST NOW saw a guy coming down 107 with traffic behind him and he was to the left of the center of his travel lane.
I am all for giving bikers the right of way being I like to ride as well, but there are way to many bicyclists who have no respect for the cars on the road and take advantage of the fact they have the right of way.
As far as I'm concerned dead is dead not matter who is at fault.
Ride safe.
If you decide to ride this area during the next few weeks remember the leaf peepers are coming and many have their eyes on other things then the road.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Cycliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
... I JUST NOW saw a guy coming down 107 with traffic behind him and he was to the left of the center of his travel lane.
There are a few reasons a cyclist may be doing this in total legality, simply drivers may not be aware. Here are a few, and remember that in most states (NH included) cyclists are entitled to use the entire lane, as long as the change is done predictably:

- Going downhill, it is safer for a rider to take more of the lane as speed increases and gets closer to the signed speed limit. Vehicles behind must adjust their speed the same way they would do with any other vehicle.
- He/she may be turning left, in which case he/she needs to position him/herself towards the center of the lane and progressively towards the left of the lane so that vehicles coming behind can pass on his/her right.
- The right portion of the lane may be uneven and unsafe to ride, it is unfortunately the case with too many roads.

You can check this with your local police department, NH DOT and the Bike/Walk Alliance of NH.

I have been driving cars, trucks and riding motorcycles and bicycles for over thirty years and have rarely been bothered by cyclists, essentially because I understand the requirements for operating both types of vehicles. Take it from my experience, when you see a cyclist or a motorcyclist doing something you think is wrong, think and look twice as to the reason, there is usually one.

Drive safe and share the road.
Cycliste is offline   Reply With Quote