Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Should Forum posts be screened to keep offensive and/or unrelated posts out?
Continue screening posts. I don't mind the delay. 15 30.00%
Don't screen posts and allow messages to appear immediately, regardless of their content. 30 60.00%
I'm not sure/No opinion 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Forum Moderation

I have received several requests to stop screening messages before they appear on the Forum. On the old system this was impossible since registration was not required and anyone could post a message anonymously.

Now that everyone who posts is registered, screening may not be necessary anymore. In fact, I've been pleased that I have not had to reject or edit a single message since the new Forum was opened 24 hours ago.

I will give the new Forum several more days before I make a decision but I welcome your input?

Please vote in the above poll and post your comments here.

Last edited by webmaster; 04-06-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
RI Swamp Yankee

While I would like to see posts right away, I think Don has done a great job of keeping this forum clean and family friendly and mostly on topic. I would defer to his judgement either way.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
Steve

I'd like to see the delay removed. Only registered users should be allowed to post, that will reduce some spamming and junk. Make sure the forum rules state what you don't want to see, and that anything that violates the rules will be edited/deleted. Then, enlist the assistance of frequent members that you trust to help moderate/monitor the content.

It will make this forum go a long way. I know there are many occassions that I don't bother posting as I know it won't show for a while, or in cases when I do, you'll find that the answer to a question exists 5 times because someone didn't know it was already answered, because they couldn't see the post.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #4
islandAl

Default not to screen if

voted not to screen but only if you can selectivly enflorce abusers. That is, if someone has abused the tranquility of proper behavior (in the past would have been an edit or delete) can any future posts from that party be subject to screening? If not, I might favor continuing the screening.
Sure miss the spell checker.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
hazelnut

Default No Delay

I like the no delay style message board. I think you would be able to rely on the loyal members of this site to relay offensive content to you. Maybe the board memebers Policing for you will free up some time for you. I can not imagine how grueling it must be to have to approve each and every message. If you are able to block people by their IP (I think you mentioned this) or their email address then they would be banished if they violate the content rules. Maybe a two or three strikes and you are out depending on how offensive the content.

Just a thought. Of course you could always test it out and revert back if it becomes a problem.

Thanks for the hard work on your part.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Delay

To delay or not to delay, that is the question... I responded to the poll and then realized that you have currently lifted the delay, and it is nice to see the comment right away. My only fear is that some folks, even tho' they are registered, will think "I registered, therefore I can do as I please", much the same as they do in other parts of their lives without regard to others. Hopefully, that will not happen, and you (webmaster) will not have to go back to moderating. BTW, great changes, gets better every time I get on, and I am so thankful that I do not have to open another window to find out what smiley I want to use (an age thing) .
Old 04-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
Orion

Thumbs up Seems better

Webmaster,
Maybe you're deleting troublesome messages, maybe not, but it appears that the forum is very well behaved since the change. It looks like posters are treating this new forum with the respect it deserves. This is all of ours to enjoy and share information about our favorite place. Let's keep up the good work.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:34 PM   #8
Steve

Am I reading this correctly, posts are immediate now?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:32 PM   #9
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

You are correct. If you are in good standing your messages now appear immediately on the Forums.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:07 AM   #10
Steve

Nice! Thanks.
Closed Thread