Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
glennsteely

Default I cant figure this out....

I am trying to post a picture in a thread, but I keep getting an error cause my photo is too large. It says 97.7 is the limit, My pictures are all over 350. Can I compress the image, or shrink it somehow? This is where I really show off my master computer skills....HaHaHa! Please help. You will have to give it to me in detail. Thanks......
Old 12-18-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

In whatever program you use to view and edit pictures, there is probably a heading at the top (like "file" or "edit") that says "image". Click on that heading and you will probably see a heading that says "resize". Click on that and it normally will bring up a box that will have the image size in "pixels" or in "inches". Try using 640 x 480 pixels (or anything close) or 3x5 inches (or close). There may be a box that says "aspect ratio" and that should be checked. All that means is that as you resize, the length and width will maintain the same ratio, ie 3x5 and 6x10 have essentially the same ratio length x width.

Your file size is linked directly with the image size (L x W) and resolution, so making the images smaller should get you where you want to be. Also, if it accepts the image for "forum posting", you will not be able to see it until you submit the post itself. You will not see the photo when you click "preview", but you can click "preview" and scroll back down to "manage attachments" and see your file listed there. If it is listed, when you submit your post, it will show up in the body of your post.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
glennsteely

Default Thanks...

I will try it and hope I get it right....
Old 12-19-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

Lightbulb Use MS Power Resizer

If you are using Windows XP, there is an image resizer "power toy" available as a download from Microsoft. See THIS LINK http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Once you have the power resizer installed, you get a new option when you right click on a picture in your directory explorer. You can resize copies of one or more selected pictures, and store them in the current folder. There are several sizes pre-defined, and an advanced tab. With advanced options, you can define the new pixel size of your picture - and then it will fit anywhere that you have size restrictions.

Good luck trying it...
Old 12-20-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
glennsteely

Default Thanks Lakegeezer....

I tried to do it the way upthesaukee told me, but I dont have the options in the top toolbar in kodak easy share......maybe I should get some real photo software.....I will try the link you supplied when I get home, on my home pc, where I run windows xp media edition....meanwhile, I did figure out how to post in the photo gallery......What does "image pending approval mean?" are the photos reviewed by someone to screen out negative images, such as nudity and other things not suitable for posting on the forum? If so, I think that is a great thing, and must be a time consuming job, although I dont see any of the people I've talked to here doing such a thing.....whoever is responsible for that job, thanks......when I have my 2 year old on my lap looking at pictures of the lake, I need not worry about her seeing anything improper......Glennsteely
Old 12-20-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
upthesaukee

when posting in photopost, images are "pending" until our fantastic and truly magnificent webmaster (true description) approves the photos for the very reasons you stated. While he is thanked often, probably not often enough, and could still be said that he has a thankless job. Thanks for asking why, and thanks to Don for such a wonderful website for all of us to share info and pictures. By the way, Glenn, nice family shot "in the clouds". It will be interesting to watch that little one grow.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:10 AM   #7
glennsteely

Default its funny you said something about that picture....

the reason we took that exact shot.....I mean exact, is, I have a picture of my mom and dad holding me in the summer of 1969 in the same location, we spent the better part of the morning trying to match the background (lake only), of course the trees are all different, but it is the same shot......one day I will be a computer expert and will scan the other picture and post for all to see.....GS
Old 12-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #8
Pepper

Default For Glenn Steely

Greetings, Glen! I, too was using the Kodak EasyShare software on my old pc which runs Windows 98. With my laptop, which runs Windows XP, I find I have no need for their time consuming, and space wasting software. I simply plug the USB cable from the camera into the laptop, and the XP software takes care of the rest. ALSO - I took Lake Geezer's advice yesterday and downloaded this nifty little utility he refers to - Zambowie!!!!! This thing is amazing, and free! I am now able to resize phots in the blink of an eye, and it works ten times better than other softwares I have tried to download for the same exact purpose. I highly recommend you dump the EazyShare software - if you're running on XP or similarly capable Windows - and download powertoy utility. Photo work will become a SNAP (no pun intended), and you'll be flying! Good luck!

P.S. We'll be passing through your way on Friday - could you make sure the traffic jams all move along before we get there?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Default Irfanview

You might want to try Irfanview too. I don't use it but a lot of people swear by (not at) it. Viewer, converter, simple editor and free.

http://www.irfanview.com/
Old 12-21-2004, 10:48 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Default irfanview

I just heard about it a week or so ago, and downloaded it. You can do slide shows that are a blast, and save them on cd's. It is really user friendly.
I put 50 something pictures I had from my son's surprise 30th party and put them into a slide show using irfanview, saving the show on CD. Really neat.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #11
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
when posting in photopost, images are "pending" until our fantastic and truly magnificent webmaster (true description) approves the photos for the very reasons you stated.
Keep this up upthesaukee and I'll have to hire you to do support for me. Your replies are better than anything I could say. Thanks.

Although I sincerely appreciate the fantastic and magnificent comments about me (and they're great for my ego) I really think I have the easy job. It is the information, comments, debates, pictures and more that you all post that makes the Forum and entire site worthwhile. You guys deserve most of the credit and praise.

Just to confirm to glennsteely, I do screen all PhotoPost posts to verify that they are directly related to the Lakes Region, G rated, and placed in the proper category. A few trusted frequent posters have had the restrictions removed and are not screened.

Don

Last edited by webmaster; 12-22-2004 at 12:03 AM. Reason: fixed typo
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote