Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
PapaBarnCat

Question Schuller's Museum of Art & Chivalry? Alton or New Durham?

Going back to when I must've been in a single digit age (Bef: 1963) I seem to remember visiting the "Schuller's Museum of Art & Chivalry", along with my parents, my aunt and uncle. If I remember right, it was aways up on the north side of a hill, and to the west side of the road, I think in the vicinity of Ridge Rd./Stockbridge Corner Rd./Valley Rd.. I could be way off here. I do remember that at my young age, the place kind of gave me the "creeps", especially as this also was during a thunderstorm. I wasn't downright scared however until an errant bolt of lightning nullified White Mountain Power Co's service to the area rendering the interior in darkness. Between that and Mrs. Schuller calling me "my little prince"...

Anybody remember this place and better remember the location?

Added 5/21 20:16 Eastern. I stumbled over something in a geocache site that refers to a location in Laconia in the vicinity of Dutile Rd. and Fred Friend Rd. Hmmmm....

Last edited by PapaBarnCat; 05-21-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: usual spelling error that I missed...
PapaBarnCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
AussieDog

I know that the original location was off of Rt 11 near Farmington.

The Belmont location is on Rt 106 roughly across the L M Pike offices. I'm not sure how long they were open there.. I heard that the admission price was very high. The building is over grown with trees now.

Hope this helps.
AussieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AussieDog For This Useful Post:
PapaBarnCat (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
PapaBarnCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDog View Post
I know that the original location was off of Rt 11 near Farmington.
Hmm? Wonder if it was Hornetown Road?

Quote:
The Belmont location is on Rt 106 roughly across the L M Pike offices. I'm not sure how long they were open there.. I heard that the admission price was very high. The building is over grown with trees now.
From what I understand it was billed as the "Million Dollar Show", and collection was moved in 1973 to Glenbow Museum in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. They have some photos of some of the collection on their site (link above).

Quote:
Hope this helps.
Sure does! Knowing there were two locations, I guess I'm not losing it quite as fast as I thought.
PapaBarnCat is offline   Reply With Quote