Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
daveschappell

Default Favorite marinas to buy boats on Winnie?

Hello folks -- I'm sorry if this question has been asked many times, but I searched the forums and didn't see any recent related questions. My wife and I are buying a home in Wolfeboro (closing Sept 1) and I'd like to start looking for a boat (or two... one for fishing and one for crusing...). What are the best marinas nearby that have a lot of inventory and treat customers well? I found Goodhue & Hawkins, and several others -- but I wonder if there are a few that locals like much more than others? Of course, I checked BoatTrader.com as well, but it seemed like most of the boats listed were out of the area.

Thanks for any pointers -- I look forward to joining you all!

Dave
daveschappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
kawishiwi

Default Winnisquam Marine

Bought my first new boat @Winnisquam Marine and had a good experience. They are on Winnisquam lake but they just bought Channel Marina on Winnipesaukee.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

My first choice would be Winnisquam Marine. I bought three boats there and all were a pleasant experience.

I have also had good dealings with Thurston's, Goodhue and Hawkins, Fay's and Dave's Motorboat Shoppe.

Good Luck!

Dan
Old 07-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
sum-r breeze

My vote goes to Irwin Marine. In business since 1919 for a reason. We bought 2 boats new from them and they were excellent.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Scott_In_NH

Default Favorite marinas to buy Boats on Winnie

Hi

My recommendation would be to settle on a boat first then pick a marina.

That being said, there is a lot of value in buying a boat close to where you
live. Makes it easier when it breaks.

Melvin Village Marina is good to do business with; I bought a boat new there in 1987. They are a little bit of a ride but still closer than the other side of
the lake. They usually have their in the water boat show around the first week in August. New boats for demo rides, and usually good prices for the event. Be aware that you are close to end of the season price deals.

Alton has a few dealers, close by car, further by boat.

Something else to consider is will you store the boats on your property
(need trailers) or store at marina's. Long term, having a trailer can get you to inexpensive storage.

Good luck,
Scott
Scott_In_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Just Sold

Default Melvin Village and Fay's

Given that you will be living in Wolfeboro there are many good and a few great boat dealers around the lake. Are you looking for new or used? My preference would be Melvin Village Marina. Matt Galvin and Kevin Dubia are really great to deal with in sales and the owner, Matt Young, is great as well. They offer both types of boats you are looking for too. My overall experience with MVM has been a 10 out of 10 in sales and service.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
JTA

Melvin Village Marina. Once you are past sales (which is a good experience) their service department is second to none.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I fourth Melvin Village Marina. As mentioned above, Kevin and the two Matts are excellent to work with. In fact, we had such an excellent experience, we only checked with one other dealer before realizing anyone else in the north would be settling.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Irwin

I have purchased two boats from Irwin and store there in the winter. I have nothing but good things to say about Bill Irwin and the entire staff
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #10
Senter Cove Guy

Default Sales & Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveschappell View Post
Hello folks -- I'm sorry if this question has been asked many times, but I searched the forums and didn't see any recent related questions. My wife and I are buying a home in Wolfeboro (closing Sept 1) and I'd like to start looking for a boat (or two... one for fishing and one for crusing...). What are the best marinas nearby that have a lot of inventory and treat customers well? I found Goodhue & Hawkins, and several others -- but I wonder if there are a few that locals like much more than others? Of course, I checked BoatTrader.com as well, but it seemed like most of the boats listed were out of the area.

Thanks for any pointers -- I look forward to joining you all!

Dave
Melvin Village Marina will treat you right.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Bootkie2

I have found that All the marinas on the lake do a good job keep their websites up to date with current inventory so you can just drink wine on your new deck and look at boats on your iPad. If you're buying used just find one you like go look at it and start negotiating. Who cares who you buy it from if it's the right fit/price for you.
Bootkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
dave603

Default Wait

You're not closing on the house until September.

First thing I'd do is wait, not buy now.
Go to the boat shows and check out all the marinas from the lake area and get the best deal on what you want for a boat. Unless you're looking for used of course, but even then you get the "feel" for the dealers.

all that being said, never had a problem at Irwins.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
Woody38

I store my boat at Fay's. Mr. Fay and Jeff Fay are true gentlemen. My boat is on a trailer and that is stored in the summer also. Never had anything except a positive experience with everyone at Fays. Bought the boat in the Midwest and I called Fays to see about storage inside. No problem and none since. They also sell new and used boats.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
Grove84

Default Paugus Bay Marina

Kory Keenan at Paugus Bay sold me my first Boat in 2001 and taught me how to drive it. He sold my family and I or 28' BR Formula in 2012 . The team at PBM are really good people and they have stored both my boats every season. I recently had an issue with one outdrive and it was repaired same week as they want their customers on the water enjoying their boat. Big Fan of PBM!
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #15
panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grove84 View Post
Kory Keenan at Paugus Bay sold me my first Boat in 2001 and taught me how to drive it. He sold my family and I or 28' BR Formula in 2012 . The team at PBM are really good people and they have stored both my boats every season. I recently had an issue with one outdrive and it was repaired same week as they want their customers on the water enjoying their boat. Big Fan of PBM!
I too have had excellent service from Kory Keenan and his uncle Kevin who owns Paugus Bay Marina. Great folks and very focused on their customers.
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 AM   #16
daveschappell

Default Wow -- thank you, everyone (summary of recommended marinas listed below)

Thank you so much for your replies. I should have mentioned that I was targeting used boats (as a former boat owner, it seems a little crazy to pay new, despite how perfect everything is). And I agree that it would make sense to wait until next season, but I think we're going to be irrational and buy at least one boat ASAP, as our primary reason for buying on Winnie is the boating -- so this will let us explore as much as possible, until the ice arrives. Of course, we'll keep our eyes/ears open for any long-term rentals that could get us thru this season -- if anyone has tips about long-term rentals, please holler.

To thank everyone for their input, and to help future new arrivals, I've summarized all of your input below (rank ordered by number of recommendations for each marina).

Melvin Village Marina - URL
- 463 Governor John Wentworth Hwy, Melvin Village, NH 03850 - MAP

Irwin Marine - URL
- 958 Union Ave, Laconia, NH 03246 - MAP
- 396 Main St, Alton Bay, NH 03810 - MAP
- 730 East Side Dr, Alton, NH 03809 - MAP

Winnisquam Marine - URL
- 12 Sunset Dr, Belmont, NH 03220 - MAP
- Also, they just bought Channel Marine

Channel Marine - URL
- 96 Channel Ln, Laconia, NH 03246 - MAP

Fay's Boat Yard - URL
- 71 Varney Point Rd, Gilford, NH 03249 - MAP

Paugus Bay Marina - URL
- 41 Sheridan St, Laconia, NH 03246 - MAP

Thurston's Marina - URL
- 18 Endicott St N, Laconia, NH 03246 - MAP

Goodhue and Hawkins Navy Yard - URL
- 244 Sewall Rd, Wolfeboro, NH 03894 - MAP

Dave's Motorboat Shoppe - URL
- 229 Intervale Rd, Gilford, NH 03249 - MAP

Silver Sands Marina - URL
- 103 Weirs Rd. Gilford, NH 03249 - MAP

Last edited by daveschappell; 07-21-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: edit the title to make it explanatory for future searchers
daveschappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #17
Blyblvrd

Last summer bought a used boat from Irwin's, had it serviced and winterized there. They are a fantastic company to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #18
Liquorish

Have to throw a plug in for Silver Sands in Gilford. Great people and great service. Bought many boats from them new and used. Always a pleasure to deal with. Another vote for Kory at PBM as well.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #19
Greene's Basin Girl

I also recommend Melvin Village Marina. I have purchased boats from them for 30 years. The owner, Matt Young, is a great guy. The service manager, Rob, is fabulous to work with. I went to the boat show in Boston a few years ago and Matt gave me a price on a pontoon boat. Two months later I went into the marina and Matt held the price that he had quoted me at the boat show. We then had the boat we wanted customized and the rest is history. We love our Harris pontoon.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #20
ghfromaltonbay

Default Vote for Melvin Village Marina too

Being on the east side of the lake, I think you can't go wrong with Melvin Village marina. We bought a 1987 Four Winns from Tom Young and he treated us right. Now his son Matt has taken over sales and Tom is semi-retired. They take good care of their customers for service as well.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #21
NHskier

Default Thurston's

We've purchased two consignment sale boats from Thurston's over the past 10 years, as well as sold one through them. Very pleased with the knowledgeable staff and honest, straight-forward staff. Definitely recommended.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #22
lavecchi

Default Flightcraft

It matters what brand etc. but Dan from eastcoast flight craft is the most aggressive in regards to pricing, and now that they are on the lake everyone else watch out !
lavecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #23
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Irwin Marine. Many boats over many years. Most sales in Lakeport, although I have bought boats privately too.(Get a survey!) Most of my service is done by Irwin at Mountain View. We have done business with other marinas over the years, and they have always performed well, and I would not hesitate to say, "Use them" if the boat you want or the geography fits. This is a short season and a small market. You can't stay in business by doing low quality wok. I think Jim Irwin Sr. stared in 1919, so year after next, I bet they'll be celebrating with big sales, maybe starting in late 2018 when the '19 models come out.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote