Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Dave R

Default Naswa, for or against speed limit?

I can't recall. Anyone remember?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Wolfeboro_Baja

Default I found this....

I found this on the thread titled "Lt. Dunleavy, NHMP, reponds...." Here's the link to the specific post. According to that list, Naswa opposed the speed limit. You'll find them under "Hotels and Restaurants". I have no idea if they still feel the same way.

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/show...&postcount=136
jposta (08-19-2012), lawn psycho (07-16-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Rusty

It's over, give it a rest.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Not to stir the pot,

Many commercial establishments were against the speed limits. As I posted before WINFABS listed businesses on their websites that opposes the speed limits. WINFABS was told to remove their names and WINFABS refuse to do so.

Thurston and Fay pretty much split up the NH Marine Assoc. Most marinas decided to remain neutral to avoid dissolving the association which did a lot for them.

NH Hospitality association pretty much did the same thing because of Rusty McLear. It was a tumultuous time for marine, hospitality and dept of Safety as they tried to stay neutral. It was a tough call.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 07-17-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down It's never going to be over!

Guess where I ate breakfast yesterday? Yup, The Naswa. Why? Because they didn't support the speed limit bill.

Guess where I filled my gas tank? You guessed it...Channel Marine. Why? You know why!

Guess where I didn't spend any money yesterday or any time since the speed limit bill passed? Any establishment owned by Rusty or Alex Ray (Common Man, Camp, Lakehouse), Thurston's Marina, or any establishment that overtly supported the speed limit. Just my way of showing my disdain. Hopefully they'll dry up and go out of business due to lack of support. My fingers are crossed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-20-2012), BroadHopper (07-17-2012), codeman671 (07-16-2012), jposta (08-19-2012), SharkBaitDiving (08-13-2012), Webbsatwinni (07-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Pineedles

Good post Seaplane Pilot! Don't let Rusty's greed get in the way of voting with your feet. He made his stand quite clear, and now he must deal with the fallout. We have every right to tell people our opinion as to why business may be off. Saying, "It's over, give it a rest." just points to his poor choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Default Spped Limits signs.

WINFABS speed limits signs on the lake still says 25 mph speed limit at night. They will never give up, yet the law says 30 mph.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
WINFABS speed limits signs on the lake still says 25 mph speed limit at night. They will never give up, yet the law says 30 mph.
Please boat day and night in a "reasonable and prudent" way and always stay within the speed limits. It could save your life and mine.

Thank You,

Rusty
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs up It's working!

I (reluctantly) had dinner last night with some out of town guests that wanted to dine at Rusty's Lake House. The bartender was telling the people sitting next to me at the bar that business is way down this summer for their restaurant, yet some of the other C-Man locations are actually up.

I can only attribute this to the silent (but deadly and effective) boycott of Rusty's and Alex's establishment by the people who were against the speed limit.

Great work...let's keep it up! Continue to support those establishments that made smart business decisions to keep silent and remain neutral on this volatile issue. Continue to boycott Rusty, Alex, Thurstons, Fays and the others that overtly supported the speed limit.

America is a wonderful place!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-20-2012), jposta (08-19-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I (reluctantly) had dinner last night with some out of town guests that wanted to dine at Rusty's Lake House. The bartender was telling the people sitting next to me at the bar that business is way down this summer for their restaurant, yet some of the other C-Man locations are actually up.

I can only attribute this to the silent (but deadly and effective) boycott of Rusty's and Alex's establishment by the people who were against the speed limit.

Great work...let's keep it up! Continue to support those establishments that made smart business decisions to keep silent and remain neutral on this volatile issue. Continue to boycott Rusty, Alex, Thurstons, Fays and the others that overtly supported the speed limit.

Glad to see that you gathered with your friends in the lounge area before you had dinner. It has a cozy setting and is good place to have your favorite beverage before dinner.
I hope you and your friends had a unique dining experience in the Adirondack-style setting which has sweeping views of Meredith Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee.
Did anyone try their Strawberry Roulade which is a “sushi” style strawberry shortcake with fresh strawberries wrapped in vanilla cake with fresh whipped cream. It is out of this world.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
It's over, give it a rest.
Its not over till the fat lady speeds!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-04-2012), Seaplane Pilot (08-04-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Quote:
Glad to see that you gathered with your friends in the lounge area before you had dinner. It has a cozy setting and is good place to have your favorite beverage before dinner.
I hope you and your friends had a unique dining experience in the Adirondack-style setting which has sweeping views of Meredith Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee.
Did anyone try their Strawberry Roulade which is a “sushi” style strawberry shortcake with fresh strawberries wrapped in vanilla cake with fresh whipped cream. It is out of this world.
Mrs Makris desert is the best in the Lakes Region, second to none!

Rusty's Adirondack style is very tacky compared to the real lodges in VT and NY. It never made it to the top 10 in any event or contest. Church Landing was never mentioned as NH best in NH magazine.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 08-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Hi Rusty,

I don't think anyone got that strawberry dessert. But...it does sound pretty good! Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Rusty

Quote:
Mrs Makris desert is the best in the Lakes Region, second to none!

Rusty's Adirondack style is very tacky compared to the real lodges in VT and NY. It never made it to the top 10 in any event or contest. Church Landing was never mentioned as NH best in NH magazine.
NY and VT do have very nice Lodges. I have stayed at Lodges in Stowe VT and they are top quality. Also you can't beat the skiing there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-07-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
ApS

Default The Beleaguered Certificate...

Quote:
I wondered about that; still, it's an "error" to the safe side that only a very few would dispute today.

There have been many other law "tweeks" recently—allowing exhaust "cut-outs", engine-year eligibility for extra noise, quantity of kids towed, eligibile spotters, and the permitted locations of spotters.

While the NHMPs may be up to speed, these—and pending changes—must be confusing to all those visitors who bank on knowledge from prior boating certificate exams.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

APS, it is every boater's responsibility to know the current rules and regs. It would be nice to see those signs updated but it should not create a huge problem if they are not.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up

Quote:

Just found this thread and I'm glad to see there are others that years later still feel the same way I do about those establishments who openly lied about things to get the speed limit passed. As I mentioned in another thread I'm also glad to see that the performance boats look to be making a come back on the lake.
It seems that a lot of the issues discussed as a basis for introducing speed limits are again being brought up and complained about now that boater traffic is on the rise.
I also have never been nor will I ever go to Church Landing, one of the Common Man establishments or any other establishment that supported the speed limit.
My wife had been wanting a spa visit to Church Landing for years so last Christmas I finally got one for her. At the Inn & Spa at Opechee, I never even gave the other place a call to price them out for or against.
lawn psycho (08-21-2012), Seaplane Pilot (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
BroadHopper

Default Performance boats making a come back?

I knew a good number of performance boats, most if not all have either left for another body of water, trade for a McYacht or pontoon boats. At my marina, where for years slipped performance boats are now filled with PWC's or bow riders. There is a demand for larger slips for yachts and pontoon boats. I'm not sure where the performance boats are gathering on the lake.
In the past the majority of the performance boat owners I knew were LEOs who made big bucks on duty and overtime. The Marine Patrol gave them a lot of slack when they are on the lake.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Rusty

Noticed this statement on page 31 of the Weirs Times 08//09/12 edition: http://issuu.com/weirspublishing/docs/wtimes080912

Seaplane Pilot (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #20
Belmont Resident

Quote:
I knew a good number of performance boats, most if not all have either left for another body of water, trade for a McYacht or pontoon boats. At my marina, where for years slipped performance boats are now filled with PWC's or bow riders. There is a demand for larger slips for yachts and pontoon boats. I'm not sure where the performance boats are gathering on the lake.
In the past the majority of the performance boat owners I knew were LEOs who made big bucks on duty and overtime. The Marine Patrol gave them a lot of slack when they are on the lake.
Maybe trailer boaters on vaca but having spent a lot of hours working on Paugus Bay this year I have noticed some new boats. Or new to me.
Me I'm just glad to see the crowds are coming back to the lake and bringing with them the same problems that were discussed leading to the speed limit.
I honestly hope it gets to the point it was at before and we can once and for all say see I told you so to all those who pointed at speed as being the cause of all the supposed close calls on the lake. Time will tell. My wife who has spent more time out there then me has already noticed an increase in inconsiderate boat operators this year.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #21
fatlazyless

From my spot at FL-3, the noise level on the weekends has really lowered by a lot. Before speed limits, the weekend sounded like there was a chainsaw running inside my brain all weekend. After speed limits, it is goodbye and good riddance to the weekend chainsaw, lake monster machines, and hello to a quiet, peacefull lake where you can hear the ripple waves go lap-lap-lap as they slowly roll into the rocky embankment.

If you still have the need for speed, then maybe you want to go get into swimming the overhand crawl stroke or something! While swimming the overhead crawl will never get you up to 107-mph, it will use way less gasoline plus be much less noisy!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Noticed this statement on page 31 of the Weirs Times 08//09/12 edition: http://issuu.com/weirspublishing/docs/wtimes080912

Where can I get one (or one dozen) of these? Spectacular!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
Rusty

Quote:
Where can I get one (or one dozen) of these? Spectacular!
You can right click the Image and then print them out. After that you can laminate them and then put a sticky back magnet on the back. Then you can stick them on your car, boat, refrigerator, mail box, belt buckle, etc.

You could even print out hundreds of them and pass them out to everyone you meet while boating.

Have fun.
Seaplane Pilot (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
Belmont Resident

Default Maybe another reason!

Quote:
Not sure if you noticed but PBM across the way has a lot of performance boats.
I've heard they have taken a lot of business from Lakeport since acquiring the Formula line.