Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #1
baygo

Default This one could hurt!

We are about to find out which restaurants do their own cooking and which ones rely on SYSCO. The SYSCO Drivers from the Manchester hub have gone on strike. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the Restaurants mentioned in another thread about value will take a hit consequence of the strike.

If the strike lasts over a week, we could see some close and, that will provide pressure on the ones that are open. Additional restaurant inflation could be the end result.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #2
Resident 2B

I have concerns regarding the nursing facilities and hospitals regarding this strike. No idea about the supply chain in NH, but until I find out SYSCO does not supply the nursing facilities and hospitals, I will be very concerned.
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-08-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #3
Outdoorsman

That seems extreme!

Would you rather spend a few dollars more buying product from a retail store?

Or just shut the doors and take a chance that customers coming back in the future if they think you have closed (even for the season)
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
That seems extreme!

Would you rather spend a few dollars more buying product from a retail store?

Or just shut the doors and take a chance that customers coming back in the future if they think you have closed (even for the season)
It is not that simple for all restaurants. In some cases SYSCO is the prep cook for many of the menu items. A restaurant will purchase food that has been prepared at the SYSCO commissary (often frozen) and simply follow the microwave instructions. A restaurant group will contract to have a unique product made specifically for them. They do not have the talent in the kitchen to make and manage these items from scratch.

Don’t make the assumption that when you see the SYSCO/US Foods truck in the parking lot that the restaurant is a “not from scratch” kitchen. They may just be getting their paper goods from them. That is however getting less likely do to the minimums imposed during the supply chain issues of a little ove a year ago.

When a restaurant starts to state that they are out of certain appetizers, that’s a sign that perhaps they were reheating food prepared by SYSCO.

Perhaps they can change the menu and go to BJ’s where they will find frozen appetizers to substitute.

On another front; SYSCO has purchased a tremendous amount of food in advance. Their system produces and moves food every day. A strike will slow distribution which could end up with a bottleneck causing millions of dollars in waste. They’ll have to recoup that money somewhere.

The average Cisco truck driver earns $110,000 a year
Old 10-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
It is not that simple for all restaurants. In some cases SYSCO is the prep cook for many of the menu items. A restaurant will purchase food that has been prepared at the SYSCO commissary (often frozen) and simply follow the microwave instructions. A restaurant group will contract to have a unique product made specifically for them. They do not have the talent in the kitchen to make and manage these items from scratch.

Don’t make the assumption that when you see the SYSCO/US Foods truck in the parking lot that the restaurant is a “not from scratch” kitchen. They may just be getting their paper goods from them. That is however getting less likely do to the minimums imposed during the supply chain issues of a little ove a year ago.

When a restaurant starts to state that they are out of certain appetizers, that’s a sign that perhaps they were reheating food prepared by SYSCO.

Perhaps they can change the menu and go to BJ’s where they will find frozen appetizers to substitute.

On another front; SYSCO has purchased a tremendous amount of food in advance. Their system produces and moves food every day. A strike will slow distribution which could end up with a bottleneck causing millions of dollars in waste. They’ll have to recoup that money somewhere.

The average Cisco truck driver earns $110,000 a year
I appreciate the note about the spoiled food—I hadn't immediately considered that aspect.

In terms of the drivers' salaries, did you get that number from the CEO's interview? That's where I saw it, and it's suspect.

How many hours does a driver work to earn that? Overtime? What does the job entail? Is there a premium paid to do that kind of driving? What is the benefits/retirement package? Sick/vacation days?

Quoting $110k average, which isn't even that much these days—especially in New England—isn't nearly enough information.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #6
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I appreciate the note about the spoiled food—I hadn't immediately considered that aspect.

In terms of the drivers' salaries, did you get that number from the CEO's interview? That's where I saw it, and it's suspect.

How many hours does a driver work to earn that? Overtime? What does the job entail? Is there a premium paid to do that kind of driving? What is the benefits/retirement package? Sick/vacation days?

Quoting $110k average, which isn't even that much these days—especially in New England—isn't nearly enough information .

If memory serves me correct, I read the average salary on the bottom of an WMUR report. Not sure who was speaking. One would think that, after the past few years that, I should know better than to repeat something I obtained from the main stream news. Sorry.

Asking an entrepreneur to associate number of hours worked against fair compensation received is asking them to exercise thought incomprehensible to their being.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
If memory serves me correct, I read the average salary on the bottom of an WMUR report. Not sure who was speaking. One would think that after the past few years that I should know better than to repeat something I obtained from the main stream news. Sorry.
I mean, I think we all immediately look to see who is the "wrong" party in strikes, but nuance matters—that number may be accurate, but it certainly doesn't tell the whole story.

In fact, just now I found that "nearly half of [Sysco's] employees have been in their job for less than a year" and that there are "investor concerns about the company's inability to retain workers."

That's a crazy high turnover percentage that would indicate a major issue.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #8
baygo

Quote:
I mean, I think we all immediately look to see who is the "wrong" party in strikes, but nuance matters—that number may be accurate, but it certainly doesn't tell the whole story.

In fact, just now I found that "nearly half of [Sysco's] employees have been in their job for less than a year" and that there are "investor concerns about the company's inability to retain workers."

That's a crazy high turnover percentage that would indicate a major issue.

Perhaps the short-timers are consequent of the pandemic. The trucking issue can be solved by welcoming independent trucker to bid on the route.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
John Mercier

The number generally includes all benefits, and doesn't state the number of hours worked or overtime to achieve it.

And we have a shortage of labor that includes truck drivers.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #10
FlyingScot

I read the issues were health insurance and the pension plan, both of which Sysco was trying to reduce. Tough to pull back on fringe benefits.

The $110K includes overtime. Union says some drivers work 16 hours/day. (I'm not say the 16 is necessary to get the 110, but Think has a point)
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:57 PM   #11
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I read the issues were health insurance and the pension plan, both of which Sysco was trying to reduce. Tough to pull back on fringe benefits.

The $110K includes overtime. Union says some drivers work 16 hours/day. (I'm not say the 16 is necessary to get the 110, but Think has a point)
No disrespect but are you aware of how many restaurant Entrepreneurs work 16 hours a day seven days a week with no guarantee of income, insurance, pension plan LOL? They create paychecks for those who assist them, as well as have to find thick skin to accept/read what their loving public takes time to share on social media. This strike is putting in jeopardy their lifelong savings and ambition. The drivers who strike would have no job if not for them. The $110,000 a year would go a lot further if they were not paying union dues.

Suck it up buttercup.
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
newbie (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 09:34 PM   #12
John Mercier

The drivers are not self-employed.
The entrepreneurs are.

Freedom of Association is inherent in the free market, so if they can hold together, then the strike will breed results.

Not like a lot of excess truck drivers to simply be hired from the line-up.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:42 PM   #13
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The drivers are not self-employed.
The entrepreneurs are.

Freedom of Association is inherent in the free market, so if they can hold together, then the strike will breed results.

Not like a lot of excess truck drivers to simply be hired from the line-up.
Every action yields results. What kind of beneficial results can come from this?
Old 10-08-2022, 06:25 AM   #14
John Mercier

Benefit to the truck drivers... since that is their intent.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #15
FlyingScot

Quote:
No disrespect but are you aware of how many restaurant Entrepreneurs work 16 hours a day seven days a week with no guarantee of income, insurance, pension plan LOL? They create paychecks for those who assist them, as well as have to find thick skin to accept/read what their loving public takes time to share on social media. This strike is putting in jeopardy their lifelong savings and ambition. The drivers who strike would have no job if not for them. The $110,000 a year would go a lot further if they were not paying union dues.

Suck it up buttercup.
I did not opine on who deserved what. But having said that...

I've spent most of my career as an entrepreneur, so I am painfully aware of the difficulties of our lives/careers. Being in business is a tough fight every day, with customers, employees, competitors, suppliers, and others each acting in one way or another to squeeze our margins (and harm our sleep patterns).

Of course, when we are successful, the rewards are much greater than those of the truck drivers. So I do not begrudge them for trying to increase their slice of the pie...it's the American way
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
magicrobotmonkey (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #16
John Mercier

Each of us are our own bosses in a way...
We sell our labor to the highest bidding customer.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:49 AM   #17
baygo

On my way out to run an errand this morning I saw a SYSCO truck at DeAngelo‘s.
I stopped and talk to the driver briefly. He brought to my attention that New Hampshire is a right to work state so he did not have to join a union or participate in the strike. He’s got a young baby at home and was happy to take on the extra hours created for him by the strike. Perhaps the strike one effect of each region as much as I thought.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #18
WinnisquamZ

Quote:

I stopped and talk to the driver briefly. He brought to my attention that New Hampshire is a right to work state so he did not have to join a union or participate in the strike. He’s got a young baby at home and was happy to take on the extra hours created for him by the strike. Perhaps the strike one effect of each region as much as I thought.
Well done Clark. Lois Lane would be proud of you

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #19
John Mercier

I don't remember NH passing RTW.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #20
FlyingScot

Quote:
This is an interesting twist, he will be ahead twice. First he'll get extra hours, then he'll get extra benefits courtesy of the guys going on strike. (Not judging a young guy with mouths to feed, just observing the dynamic)
Old 10-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #21
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
NH does not currently have a right to work law…

Dan
Old 10-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #22
mofn

For the young driver noted with baby, some years ago in the Boston Globe was an obit.
The guy in question, it noted worked the 1926? Boston Police strike. Even in death he could not escape the fact he was a scab.
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #23
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
I think people mistake it with EAW (Employed-at-Will)...
Which means you can be let go without cause... unless you have a contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #24
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
I just learned you are correct. What ever the case (as other referenced possibly a SCAB) it seems that the deliveries are still getting done.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:12 PM   #25
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
I just learned you are correct. What ever the case (as other referenced possibly a SCAB) it seems that the deliveries are still getting done.
No problem Baygo…hate to hear that word “scab” being used, but do understand how it all works… I’m not going to get into the union / non union discussion here as I have been both and are way well versed than most here and realize it would just get shut down….so lets just say here’s to You…with a shot of “Dancing rabbit” in a small glass!

Dan
baygo (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #26
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
This is an interesting twist, he will be ahead twice. First he'll get extra hours, then he'll get extra benefits courtesy of the guys going on strike. (Not judging a young guy with mouths to feed, just observing the dynamic)
What would there even be to judge?

LoveLakeLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:24 PM   #27
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
What would there even be to judge?

Not standing with his union. And, worse, reaping the benefits of what his union has won/will win while not standing with them.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #28
LoveLakeLife

Oh, so faulting him for exercising his right to choose to work to support himself and his family. That doesn’t seem fair.

The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 08:09 PM   #29
thinkxingu

Quote:
Oh, so faulting him for exercising his right to choose to work to support himself and his family. That doesn’t seem fair.

As Dan pointed out elsewhere, this isn't a discussion for the page. I pointed out what you asked.

Has anyone seen or heard of potential issues in the Lakes Region? We haven't, though it's still in its infancy.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #30
John Mercier

Quote:
Not standing with his union. And, worse, reaping the benefits of what his union has won/will win while not standing with them.

Businesses do not have to pay union wages or benefits to non-union employees, they are not part of the union contract.

They also do not need to have cause for separation for a non-union employee due to the lack of a contract.

This actually got hashed out when the NHSA was working on its membership discount registration program.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:26 PM   #31
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
As Dan pointed out elsewhere, this isn't a discussion for the page. I pointed out what you asked.

Has anyone seen or heard of potential issues in the Lakes Region? We haven't, though it's still in its infancy.

I agree Think but when you editorialized a little in your response it herniated into discussion-land slightly, so I just evened up the volley.

The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
bman60 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 09:53 PM   #32
John Mercier

We are on the other side of the major season... so it is probably too soon to determine what other factors have played a role, and how long this will last.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:13 AM   #33
thinkxingu

Quote:
I agree Think but when you editorialized a little in your response it herniated into discussion-land slightly, so I just evened up the volley.

Hahahaha! Fair enough, though I followed Flying's comment exactly, taking "courtesy" as an implied "worse" given the following SCAB comments.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #34
longislander

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on June 27, 2018 in Janus v. AFSCME that non-union government workers cannot be required to pay union fees as a condition of working in public service.

Does not apply to private sector; e.g., a NH state employee is not required to pay dues. No one is legally required to join a union, although private sector employees can still be required to pay dues.
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:09 AM   #35
John Mercier

That would part of their contract.
The union establishes a contract with a business.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:11 AM   #36
longislander

Quote:
That would part of their contract.
What would be?

A union contract is a written agreement between the employer and the employees that details the terms and benefits in a clear and legally-binding way; one team representing the union members and the other representing the company, not individual contracts with each employee.

A contract cannot be in violation of law.

U.S. Supreme Court decisions are law ... case law, not subject to contracts.
No one is required to belong to a union.
Government workers (Fed., state, etc) are not required to pay union dues (non-government employees might still be required (probably).

The SCOTUS decision addressed government employees only, and avoided private sector employees.

A "right-to-work" state is a state that has enacted legislation that guarantees that no individual can be forced as a condition of employment to join or pay dues or fees to a labor union. States have the right to enact these laws under Section 14(b) of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA).

NH is not (as of now) a RTW state.

At-will employment means you can quit or be fired for almost any reason.
NH is at-will, notwithstanding the SCOTUS decisions.

Last edited by longislander; 10-11-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #37
John Mercier

The private sector union employee has the rights/benefits under the contract.

If they were to have the option and choose not to be placed under the group contract, they do not have the rights/benefits of the contract.

Firing a union employee is a process usually outlined in the contract.
Firing (and more often we ''release'') a non-union employee is a moment in time.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #38
longislander

If a union member ... why wouldn't benefits be required?
If a non-union member, but still required to pay, then benefits are required. That is the legal premise for being required to pay dues, even if not a member. Actually, Right To Work is code for not being required to pay union dues.

The option is to be a union member or not ... not the option to be excluded from the contract.

Firing a union employee will have to go through union representation. Firing a non-union member may also require union representation.

Firing an employee (for cause especially) is still a facet of management and law, depending on which laws are applicable.

Another quirk:
"Extra benefits" can be extended to non-union members while witholding from union members.

May 7, 2019, the National Labor Relations Board

"Merck, Sharp & Dohme Corp. decision confirms the legality of an important flexibility for employers—the ability to provide certain, extra benefits to nonunionized employees while not offering the same benefits to union employees when doing so is not based on union animus. Under this decision, an employer can now feel more comfortable providing nonrepresented employees with better wages or benefits than the employer’s represented employees when such is done for legitimate reasons. This flexibility to take quick action when there is no duty to bargain or restrictive collective bargaining agreement in place may also be cited to nonunion employees as one benefit of not having union representation."

We can all Google and read:

https://www.laborrelationsupdate.com...May-7-2019.pdf

https://ogletree.com/insights/nlrb-e...can-be-lawful/
Old 10-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #39
John Mercier

If you are not a union member paying dues...
you are not included in the union contract.

If the union chooses to represent you without you paying dues... that is their problem. They would be working to the benefit of someone that did not contribute.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #40
longislander

Union member or not a union member ... pay union dues ... get the benefits!

Even if not a union member, the contract may stipulate clauses regarding non-union members. Recognizing that union membership cannot be legally required, shows reality and acknowledgement of the facts. Dealing with these facts demonstrates enlightenment. Attempts at recruiting the non-members would be helped, not hindered by the same.

Union contracts come under contract law ... whatever the union and management agree too. No law tells them what to agree to.

No one forces the union nor management to agree to any terms.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #41
longislander

By the way,

What if there is a union where I work, but I have chosen not to be a member. If I have a grievance, does the union have to represent me?
Yes. Legally, the union has the same obligation to represent you fairly as it does to represent union members. You can ask the union to file a grievance if you are fired or disciplined, even if you are not a member.

Can non-union members be represented by the union?
Yes. Legally, the union has the same obligation to represent you fairly as it does to represent union members. You can ask the union to file a grievance if you are fired or disciplined, even if you are not a member.

https://legalaidatwork.org/factsheet...epresentation/

NLRB
Examples of labor organization conduct that violates the law:
Refusing to process a grievance because an employee has criticized union officials or because an employee is not a member of the union in states where union security clauses are not permitted.

https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...nd-obligations
Old 10-11-2022, 03:34 PM   #42
John Mercier

"The NLRA allows employers and unions to enter into union-security agreements, which require all employees in a bargaining unit to become union members and begin paying union dues and fees within 30 days of being hired.

Even under a security agreement, employees who object to full union membership may continue as 'core' members and pay only that share of dues used directly for representation, such as collective bargaining and contract administration. Known as objectors, they are no longer full members but are still protected by the union contract. Unions are obligated to tell all covered employees about this option, which was created by a Supreme Court ruling and is known as the Beck right."

They get what they pay for...
No pay... No play.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:03 PM   #43
longislander

"Federal law allows unions and employers to enter into "union-security" agreements which require all employees in a bargaining unit to become union members and begin paying union dues and fees within 30 days of being hired. Employees may choose not to become union members and pay dues, or opt to pay only that share of dues used directly for representation, such as collective bargaining and contract administration. Known as objectors, they are no longer union members, but are still protected by the contract. Unions are obligated to tell all covered employees about this option, which was created by a Supreme Court ruling and is known as the Beck right."

https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...0being%20hired.

"In Communications Workers of America v. Beck (1988) the Supreme Court ruled that the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) restricted unions from collecting dues for political activities if a union member chooses to opt out. The required dues can only be used for collective-bargaining and other representational activities.

The result of Beck in practice differs from state to state and from union to union.

If you live in a right-to-work state you:

may choose to leave the union entirely
may remain a member and pay their share of the representational costs
It’s important to note that unions often want to still represent all employees, even those who don’t pay dues, so union laments of “free-riders” are caused by their own preferences.

If you live in a non-right-to-work state:

you may opt out of paying for the non-representational activities of the union
unions will not usually allow partial membership, so they will often ask the employee to resign from the union
the opt out period is usually brief
Unions must pro-rate the dues, which are called “agency fees” when paid by nonmembers who exercise their Beck rights. These fees are calculated to include the representational activities, as well as overhead for running the union.

Beck rights notifications have changed over the years. The posting by all employers was required under George H.W. Bush, rescinded under Bill Clinton, reinstated by George W. Bush, and rescinded again under Barack Obama."

https://www.unionfacts.com/article/p...g-beck-rights/

Isn't Google wonderful.

This should be the time when someone says ... what about Sysco!

Now, if only more folks would post the URls' for their comments and someone can challenge that!
Old 10-11-2022, 08:28 PM   #44
John Mercier

That debate already happened in NH...
It started with the NHSA.

The NHSA ruling, along with the advancement to NHOHVA, showed that the NH Legislature doesn't support the ''free rider'' concept either.

It is possible for the Legislature to have a dichotomic schism... but it can never stand for very long due to judiciary interaction.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:55 PM   #45
John Mercier

In this specific instance, none of the political stuff will matter.

Being later in the season, the strike/potential strike should have less of an effect than if it occurred going into the season.

We have both the natural drop off of seasonal activity as we approach the major holidays... and a FED trying desperately to calm the economic activity of the populace.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:15 PM   #46
Waterbaby

Default Right to Work

Quote:
Hi John - it was never passed. NH is an "at will" state for work. (In my mind, I call it more of an "at whim" state as it is more up to the whim of the employer as to whether one has a position on any given day.)
Old 10-12-2022, 07:11 AM   #47
longislander

Quote:
That debate already happened in NH...
It started with the NHSA.

The NHSA ruling, along with the advancement to NHOHVA, showed that the NH Legislature doesn't support the ''free rider'' concept either.

It is possible for the Legislature to have a dichotomic schism... but it can never stand for very long due to judiciary interaction.
Is this what is being discussed?

https://nhsa.org/

https://www.nhohva.org/

https://nhsa.org/action/letter-hhs-final-rule-when/

Verbiage utilized may not relay intent.

Quote:
In this specific instance, none of the political stuff will matter.
Quote:
Being later in the season, the strike/potential strike should have less of an effect than if it occurred going into the season.

We have both the natural drop off of seasonal activity as we approach the major holidays... and a FED trying desperately to calm the economic activity of the populace.

Which season ... political ... natural, as in nature ...?

Politically the two party, Democrats/Republcans system (I'm "undeclared") has its position; Dems. are anti-RTW while Reps. are pro RTW.

Nature provides the area with seasonal economic opportunity.

Politically, the country, and state is in turmoil or chaos.

Politics' like nature, have "seasons" .

If RTW is still being discussed (thanks Waterbaby) here's a WMUR URL from June 2021. ABC/WMUR leans left politically, in my estimatioin.

https://www.wmur.com/article/nh-hous...9-175/36623777

Quote:

"A close vote had been expected, but those predictions were wrong"
Quote:
Under Senate Bill 61, which passed the state Senate, 13-11
Quote:
The key House roll call among several votes was 199-175 against
Close call ... really!

Quote:
indefinite postponement vote that meant it cannot be resurrected until 2023, barring a two-thirds vote to suspend the rules.
Here we are in Oct. 2022, when some of us will be voting in the Nov. 8 elections. RTW a done deal ... shouldn't bet on it. As the WMUR article says, something about 2023.

Then again, who in the state cares about SYSCO or the Teamsters. I did when I was a union steward for an IBEW local.

How did we get back to SYSCO.

Last edited by longislander; 10-12-2022 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to longislander For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #48
John Mercier

Autumn.
This is happening now.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #49
mofn

Having been hired 12 years after the longest unauthorized strike in a certain industry any smart business does not want a long and nasty one! Just yesterday I had a phone call w/ a retired worker and the "replacements" came up and the 3 leftovers not retired yet all came up by name, 30 plus years later!
When the guy w/ the kid gets in the dodo, and has a hearing and we have to rep him that one will be like a NASA launch...T minus 10 and counting until adjournment...Oh he thinks it goes to the arbitrator, yeah, with other cherry picked cases so he is the one that will be the lamb to slaughter. Then he will have RTW else where!
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:21 PM   #50
codeman671

Can we close this one? Another junk thread starting to drag into the depths of irrelevancy.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-12-2022), webmaster (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #51
longislander

Question

Close the thread ... junk... irrelevancy ....

Amen!

For a thread that started on 10/5/22 ... now 10/12/22 ... and some are still reading and/or commenting, might demonstrate the power of bloviating, or in my case oration that may or may not be what some forum members like.

I only came aboard the forum in 2007. Have seen a lot!

Thanks to the webmaster for his tolerance
Old 10-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #52
ApS

Thumbs down "Pinky-Ring Operative"Irrelevancy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Can we close this one? Another junk thread starting to drag into the depths of irrelevancy.
Those still interested can go to a Gilford forum to continue.

My laptop has the website as a "Favorite", but that laptop is located 6 hours distant.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #53
Charlie T

Default Post counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Threads like this are tailor made for certain members to add irrelevant or nonsensical comments that allow their post counts on this forum to rise. Some just like to comment on every thread possible as many times as possible.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
Descant (10-13-2022), ishoot308 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 06:43 PM   #54
thinkxingu

Why do y'all come into threads to post that you don't like the thread? Just stay away if it's not something you're interested in.

There's a legit question of whether or not Sysco's strike will affect the Lakes Region restaurant industry that is already suffering.

Sure, things went off track a bit, but that's what happens in public forums. It's not disrespectful or negative, so let it be.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (10-13-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 08:00 PM   #55
John Mercier

I don't think it will this late in the season.
If it had happened in April/May... then it may have been devastating.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-16-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 08:17 PM   #56
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofn View Post
Having been hired 12 years after the longest unauthorized strike in a certain industry any smart business does not want a long and nasty one! Just yesterday I had a phone call w/ a retired worker and the "replacements" came up and the 3 leftovers not retired yet all came up by name, 30 plus years later!
When the guy w/ the kid gets in the dodo, and has a hearing and we have to rep him that one will be like a NASA launch...T minus 10 and counting until adjournment...Oh he thinks it goes to the arbitrator, yeah, with other cherry picked cases so he is the one that will be the lamb to slaughter. Then he will have RTW else where!
The union could simply argue that a violation of Part First Article 12-a.
Since the union representation is being paid for by members trying to remove that property and indirectly transfer it to another person is prohibit.

The NHSA took a roundabout approach that showed that non-members were benefiting indirectly from the dues of members by a proxy of government. So now when they register, NHSA members receive a discount approximated to their additional support. It is approximated to keep it simple.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:44 AM   #57
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Why do y'all come into threads to post that you don't like the thread? Just stay away if it's not something you're interested in.

There's a legit question of whether or not Sysco's strike will affect the Lakes Region restaurant industry that is already suffering.

Sure, things went off track a bit, but that's what happens in public forums. It's not disrespectful or negative, so let it be.

I agree, this thread has been weighted very respectfully on the oration-bloviation continuum. I’ve learned a few things, not ever having worked in the restaurant industry.