Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
Just Sold

Question Do You Know Where This Is?

Where is this place and what was is it built for and why?
R.G. knows because she told me where to find it.
Some outdoors types and snowmobiler's should know too.

Old 08-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #2
TomC

Default how about for cows to go under 25..

in center harbor?
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Looks like a drug smuggling tunnel....lets get that $80,000 dog from the Moultonborough PD on the case
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
DRH

Does it run under Rt. 11 in Alton, near the Mt. Major trail parking area? If so, I've been told it's purpose was to provide safe access from Mt. Major Park on Rt. 11D to the Mt. Major trail when Rt. 11 was constructed.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation Rte 11 Alton

I rmember snowmobiling from the lake to the top of Mt Major. I had to go through this tunnel under the road. I'm not sure what the real reason why it is there. I wouder of Mcdude and or RG may have some clue.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I have heard that the trail to Mt. Major originally started at Boulder Lodge, and that when the state built the "new" rte 11, they agreed to build the tunnel as part of the acquisition of the land from the Boulder Lodge owners.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:00 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

My answer is.... d.-"all of the above". My question is.... are Boulder Lodge and the Mt. Major Station (of the old Lakeshore RR) one in the same or somehow affiliated with one another?

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
Just Sold

Smile Correct Answers

All are correct answers except Center Harbor and smuggling. RG told me some history/legend about the Boulder Lodge property and why the tunnel was built. Without this tunnel the Mt. Major hike would have been lost until the new parking area was built. Thanks to RG it inspired me to find the tunnel, she found it first by the way, and to see who else here knew about it.

I had taken the original trail before the new Rt. 11 was built and after visiting it the other day I remembered I had taken the tunnel a few times too. I also had climbed over the area after the trees were removed and before the tunnel was put in. The original trail off Rt. 11D is now a private property. There is a newer trail to the tunnel from 11D which is used by hikers and snowmobiler's.

I believe the relationship between the Boulder Lodge and the RR was very close. I had a conversation a few weeks ago with the new owner of Boulder Lodge and they had heard that the train station was right near their property if not on it. Upon reviewing the photo I posted of the lodge and my own visit
to the property plus McD's post card above I believe they are very closely related. The far left shore of the photo I posted and the small point seen in McD's post card are indeed the same location.
Maybe other members of the forum will have additional info on the trail and the RR station. I know the current owners of Boulder Lodge (now a private residence) would love to know all they can about the history of Boulder Lodge, the tunnel story and the RR station.

Last edited by Just Sold; 08-15-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:05 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up What A Beautiful Place!

I was so excited to have found it a couple months ago.
McDude had inspired me to look when he asked about a tunnel from Boulder Lodge.
Boulder Lodge is one of my favorites. (Of course I have many.) The renovations and restorations over the past few years are outstanding. It is so nice when an older place like this gets spruced up instead of being knocked down. Judging by the outside, the interior must be pretty wonderful and the location is terrific. Nice boats too.
Thanks Just Sold and Kudos to the owners of Boulder Lodge.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Very disorganized.....

OK....I dug through all my stuff. It is in three large piles and in no particular order. I found this in a pile of stuff I had copied at the Gilman Library in Alton. It may be from "Alton: A Town to Remember" published by The Alton Old Photograph Committee in 1987....but I can't be sure. This is page 134. I wish I had pp. 133 and 135. Guess I'll have to go back!

".....cottage with a spacious porch providing guests with a beautiful view of the lake. Loosing (sic) this garage and workshop space, Elmer Birdsey and his son, David, built a new single stall garage with a space for tools and a workshop. Additional cottages followed over the years, totaling ten under Birdsey's ownership.

An interesting story about the Mount Major trail was told to the author by David Birdsey. Years ago the hiking trail to the mountian began at the shore of the lake. Hikers often arrived by boat and tied up at the Boulder Lodge docks to start their climb toward what is now the Mount Major parking lot.

When the state purchased forty-four acres from Elmer Birdsey to build Rt. 11, it divided his property and changed the mountain trail. He insisted the State Highway Department design and build a tunnel under the proposed new road enableing guests and hikers a safe crossing to the other side of the highway. The tunnel was built. It was approximately six feet high, five and........."

(continued on p. 135)
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
carole

Default Interesting information

I could be wrong but I see very little use of this tunnel whether it be by hikers or snowmobilers...although there is a 'bit' of trash on the lake side.

When was the highway put through?

Last edited by carole; 08-17-2005 at 08:08 AM. Reason: question
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:24 AM   #12
Just Sold

I believe the new Rt 11 was put in during the early the 60's. The trail is not used as often as all the others in the area but it has not started to grow in which means it still get sufficent use. On the lake side there is a sign asking people to stay on the trail as it is private property. The sign also directs the way to the RR bed and the Owls Nest to the north. I did not see any trash on the trail itself when I was there earlier this month. I did see a few items in the tunnel though.

I did take the trail under Rt. 11 and up to the Mt. Major trail head where I saw an Army Revservest in full gear (rifle incl.) who was just coming off the trail. I guessed it was part of a weekend reserve exercise on Mt. Major. They had a Medic HumVee and a bus there in the parking lot.

Last edited by Just Sold; 08-25-2005 at 07:27 AM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote