Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
luckypete

Default Boat "De-Winterizer" Needed

Hi all,

Our boat, a 20' Four Winns I/O, is currently on its' trailer at our brother's house in Wolfeboro. It has been winterized and wrapped. However, our boat guy is currently MIA and we are looking for someone how would be able to get the boat ready for use, and even better, launch it and put it in its' slip at Pier 19.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We should be heading up to the lake in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
LP
luckypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
brk-lnt

Try McCleans Mobile Marine, they handle a lot of stuff like that.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
NoBozo

De-Winterizing is VERY easy...even for those who know Nothing about boats. Is the Out Drive still attached..? What engine is in the boat,,? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
NightWing

Talking

Dave's Motorboat Shop.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
luckypete

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. Yes, outdrive is still on. As to what type of motor, OMC 6cylinder. I forget displacement. Funny thing about the motor though, when i lift the hatch, it sure does get a lot noisier in the boat

I'll try the numbers listed and let you know what happens. Next boat will most certainly be an outboard. At least that way the noise levels will always be consistent.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypete View Post
Thanks for the input. Yes, outdrive is still on. As to what type of motor, OMC 6cylinder. I forget displacement. Funny thing about the motor though, when i lift the hatch, it sure does get a lot noisier in the boat

I'll try the numbers listed and let you know what happens. Next boat will most certainly be an outboard. At least that way the noise levels will always be consistent.
OK Lucky..you are Lucky. The outdrive is still on. That eliminates a big potential problem. You don't have to put it back on. SO the only thing you have to be concerned about now is if there are any HOSES disconnected, or PETCOCKS on the engine that are still OPEN.

Climb into the engine compartment on one side of the engine and crouch down and reach around with your hand ..below the exhaust manifold, and FEEL.. for HOSES that are not connected on both ends. You can TUG all you want. You will not harm anything. Take a flashlight with you. A hose is about one inch or slightly more in diameter...and mushy feeling.

If you find a hose that is NOT connected on ONE end..find the place where the hose is suposed to be connected. It will be an 90 degree Elbow fitting. Slip the hose back on the elbow fitting and tighten up the hose clamp (on the end of the hose) with a screwdriver. With a V8 there is ONE hose on each side that may be disconnected. A V6 would likely be the same. The hose was disconnected in the fall to drain water out of the engine.

While you are scrunched down there..look (Feel) for a metal TEE fitting sticking out of the side of the engine block. It is like a wingnut. See if you can TURN it counterclockwise and clockwise. You may need a pair of Plyers to turn it if it has not been moved lately. Finish off by turning it Clockwise ..to the THE OFF position. Recommended.

Repeat this procedure on the OTHER SIDE of the engine.

Now hook up an "Ear Muff" Gizmo to the bottom of the outdrive to supply water to the engine. (On the trailer) TURN THE WATER ON and then start motor. Have a friend.. looking closely into the engine compartment to look for WATER running. There should be NO WATER Whatsoever running out of Anything in the engine compartment.

The ONLY water that should be running... is out of the outdrive..and out the Through Hull Exhausts..IF you have them.

IF water is running as described above..an NO Water is running in the engine compartment..you are good to go. You are De-Winterized.

This procedure is FREE.

If you are still not comfortable......seek professional help. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Irrigation Guy

Default Try Andy

Complete Marine Care headquartered in Tuftonboro is also the inhouse service for Harilla Landing on Long Island. They do a great job and are located right in your neighborhood. I'm sure they get you ready and launch you for the season. Their website is listed below.

http://www.completemarinecare.com/
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypete View Post
Hi all,

Our boat, a 20' Four Winns I/O, is currently on its' trailer at our brother's house in Wolfeboro. It has been winterized and wrapped. However, our boat guy is currently MIA and we are looking for someone how would be able to get the boat ready for use, and even better, launch it and put it in its' slip at Pier 19.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We should be heading up to the lake in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
LP
Assuming your biggest problem might be that you need a vehicle to pull the boat, I will suggest Goodhue Marine. Ask for and talk with Brett, they are located in Moultonborough. I have been using to Brett, Kevin and the rest of the guys over there to help me out for the last 7 years since I lost my brother and father..... They will do only what you want done and will not try and do more with out contacting you first. Most importantly, They pay attention to everything they do, and will tell you if something doesn't seem right and should be looked into. They don't have a location on the water and specialize in trailering and servicing boats on the spot.

Tell them Pridham suggested them....
Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
luckypete

Default Boat Guy Found

Well, as it turns out our boat guy has surfaced and we should be in by the end of the week.

NB, thank you for the detailed walk-through. Perhaps next year I'll just have you do it! Seriously though, I always appreciate all the input and info. from the Winni-Forum. See you out on the lake.

LP