Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2004, 07:43 AM   #1
Wolfeboro Matt

Default Running sneaker store

Is anyone familiar with a good running store in the Wolfeboro (or Lakes Region) area? I'm looking for a store with knowledgable staff who can help in picking out the correct sneaker.

Thanks!
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:37 AM   #2
Pepper

Thumbs up Melnicks gets my vote!

The staff at Melnick's in Laconia is very well-trained, they know their shoes, they know how to fit them, and they know how to take good care of their customers. I once had terrible issues with painful feet, as I stand for 12 to 16 hours per day. Thanks to Corey, my personal favorite salesperson, my feet no longer hurt, my back feels wonderful, and I smile a lot more. Mine aren't running shoes of course, but the training and inventory cover all needs. I give Melnicks a huge thumbs up!
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #3
Janie

Default Running Shoe

Your best bet would be to purchase the sneakers prior to going to the lakes region... either online or at a local store in your home town. I run about 24-30 miles per week. I sometimes run from 19 Mile Bay to the center of Wolfeboro and, then my boys pick me up after they have breakfast. It's about a 6 mile run. It took me about 3 pairs of sneakers before I found the right type. I even went to Bill Roger's Running Store in Boston to get fitted properly and the guy was no help. I went online and checked out runnersworld.com and roadrunnersports.com. They are informative and roadrunnersports has awesome pricing and the best selection. Now, I only buy Nikes. They are the only show that I can wear running and not have knee, arch, etc. problems. I tried Asics for a while but, I think you need to be flat foot to wear them. I have high arches. I also read on one of the sites that you should wet the bottom of your foot and step on a piece of paper to see what kind of shoes your require. They also use your gender and weight to help select the right show. Here are two specialty running store in NH if you still think you need help: Runner's Alley in Portsmouth or Manchester. Definitely check out those two sites before stepping into a local show store. Good luck. BTW, where do you run? When are you at the lake? How far do you run? Do you know your pace? Just curious as its aways fun to run with a partner. My usual run when at the lake is from 19 Mile Bay to the Libby Museum and, then, back to 19 Mile Bay. It's about 6 Miles (3 miles to the Libby and 3 miles back). Thanks. Best! Jane
Tuftonboro, NH
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
Wolfeboro Matt

Default Wolfeboro running routes

I figured as much (buy before coming to the Lake), and there is a good shop down here, but I won't have time before coming up North and am DESPERATE for a new pair.

I usually run the path starting in downtown Wolfeboro out along the shore of Crescent Lake and Lake Wentworth. When the skeeters and black flies aren't out in full force, its an awesome run.

My place is downtown, so I usually start from there. Do you run right on 109? what about other good runs local to the Wolfeboro area?

I usually run 4-5 miles.
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Janie

Default Running

Yes, I usually run on Rt. 109. There is a wide shoulder for 90% of the run. It's almolst like running on trails because I stay on the shoulder. Cars 'can' go fast but they have a pretty good line of site and slow down when they near you and are very good. I've never had a problem. 4-5 miles is a good run. What's your pace? Or, how long does it take you to run 5 miles? I run about a 9 minute mile pace for a 6 mile run. Sometimes I run faster... and sometimes when there are a lot of hills, like running from 19 Mile Bay to Wolfeboro Center, it may take me about an hour. There is a great "discount" show store where I got lucky and purchased my last pair of running shoes across from the Wal-Mart on Route 11 once you get off hte Spaulding Turnpike but, I already knew the type of sneaker I was looking for and after trying on three pairs found a pair of Nikes I LOVED. They were very inexpensive, too. I forgot my running shoes (I was wearing a pair of sandals) and made my husband stop on our way to the lake. I want to stop there again sometime because I think I may be able to get another great deal. If you plan on going to check out and buy sneakers on your own, definitely go to runnersworld.com and roadrunnersports.com because they have great Shoe Buying 101 tips to avoid injuries depending on what kind of biomechanics you have through some simple tests you can perform yourself. Good luck and let me know your pace, etc. Also, do you ever run a 5K? They have a great 5K in August in Alton. It's a little hilly but fun. I will be going running tomorrow morning most likely. If not, Sunday morning. Take it easy. Best! Jane
Tuftonboro, NH
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links