Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
Grant

Default Dive Winn Charters - FYI

FYI -- Tom at Dive Winnipesaukee tells me that they will fire up "Lady Go Diva" and begin Lake charters some time after Memorial Day. (I was kinda hoping for a mid-May start...but I suppose I can wait.)

Anxious to blow some bubbles!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
Senter Cove Guy

Default The Lady Go Diva Is Ready

The refurbished Lady Go Diva is ready and looking better than ever. New paint job and seats, tuneup, etc. I'm planning to do a charter dive this Sunday (July 4th). Maybe I'll even see a Rock Bass.
Senter Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
Grant

Default Nice!

Oh, man, you're killing me! Guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks before seeing the refurbed LGD...sounds great.

I hit the local puddle down here this weekend for two nice dives. Got a new Cressi-Sub "Big Eyes" mask over the winter, and finally got to use it. We dove some boats, worked on some low-viz navigation, and dusted off the buoyancy skills (no problems there!). Best sighting was a huge, fat rainbow trout. We see lots of big bass and palomino trout in this place, and knew that there were big rainbows, but I'd never spotted one. This one had to be close to 4 pounds, and was at ~40 feet, where the temp was about 50.

Nearly three hours of bottom time for the day, and some nice "zen" moments to placate the soul for the next week or so. Hoping to do more in the next week.

See you when I get up there!
Old 06-30-2004, 06:43 AM   #4
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default No need to rush up here to do the dive....

The visibility just sucks this year... I've done over 20 dives so far this year and this has got to be the worst, just 3 to 5 feet. It's always bad in the spring with the run off in the water, but it clears up in the first part of June, however, this year it just doesn’t seen to want to settle out. Maybe it because the water is to high, to cold, to much rain, to much wind or maybe lack of sunny days or maybe I'm just getting older....

Just how bad is it, you ask? Well, here's an example: I dropped our new shinny red, 4' long bolt cutters down the beside the mooring that I was working on (so I could cut away the old chain) as I usealy do. When I got down there I couldn't find them I blew out 3 tanks of air on 3 seperate days feeling around the bottom searching for them before I finally got lucky. The funny part was, they were just 10 feet form the block sticking straight up, I must have been within inches of them a dozen times. Last weekend I headed out (under water) to another mooring to replace the chain. I had a heavy 12' length of S/S chain wrapped around me as I set a beeline course to the work site. When I got to the area where it should have been I dropped the chain to start a circle search pattern intill I found it. After I blew most of my air supply I kicked out in defeat. Another tank of air the next day had me swimming out the mooring on the surface and dropping to the bottom via the rode. There it was, right there on the bottom with the shinny chain piled right next to it just 3 feet away. Looking at my tracks I swam right past it 4 times... See why I call it mooring hell. What ever you can do on the surface is 10 times more difficult under water, not only are you weightless where everything has to be done by brut strength, but you can't see or feel anything either (I use heavy Kevlar gloves) and time runs out all to quickly. You have to keep monitoring your gage to your air supply as well as concentrate with the task at hand. You only have mear momments to complete this diffacult task.

I was anchored off the 40 islands, #38 I think was (just kidding) last Sunday for a raftup and cookout, I lost a part to my new grill over the stern in less then 10' of water. Since I lost it and I couldn't talk my dive buddy in to going, I donned the mask and fins and over the side I went to retrieve it. It was so murky down there I couldn't enen see it until I was just a foot away from it.

Better times are coming…… I hope!

Last edited by Winnipesaukee Divers; 06-30-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:05 AM   #5
Grant

Wow -- That sounds awful. The viz close to shore was pretty decent when I was there in mid-May, although I didn't have my gear, and so didn't dive. Wonder what the issue is -- pollen? General murkiness? Run-off? Algae (too early)? All of the above? Hope it clears up soon, because the quality seems to dip in August once the temp is near its max and the blooms start.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
madrasahs

Thumbs down High Water -- Big Wakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers
"...however, this year it just doesn’t seen to want to settle out. Maybe it because the water is so high, so cold, so much rain, or maybe lack of sunny days or maybe I'm just getting older....Just how bad is it you ask?
The water has stayed very high this June due to the rains -- one reason. My usual mooring block is murk-history -- an older, smaller one has been pressed into service.

I've used the term "murky" half-a-dozen times this year. Here's two from May:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ighlight=murky
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...=3751#post3751 (This last one asked for a Winnipesaukee Diver report -- thanks).

The photos (and video) from Rattlesnake's windiest days shows a lot of "murk" in the wavetops. (The waves should be clear -- not silted -- something's not right on Rattlesnake's northern, windward lakefronts). With the prevailing Northwesterlies, the southeastern half of the lake would be most affected by deep silt.

This past Sunday, we had several "Gilford Goliaths" speed by during this high water -- as much as they can speed. (You know them as Carver or Rinker liveaboards). Their window-rattling wakes reduced what visibility we had (15-feet) to less than 4-feet. The sunfish nest (4-feet) disappeared in the murk. The guardian-sunfish, too, come to think of it. Usually, Big Wakes muddy the shoreline, but this is the worst I've ever seen. Somebody needs a talking-to.

My neighbor added two cubic yards of loam last month to his shoreline lawn to make up for what he's lost to Big Wakes. That loam will be next year's murk.

It's Nobody's fault, again.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:24 AM   #7
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Things are getting better....

Last Saturday morning I went over to the dive shop to get air, where I was greeted by my dive buddy Tom and owner of the dive shop. The first thing he said to me was, “what are you saying??? It's your job to be promoting the sport.... Not telling them, The Diving sucks".... I replied back, “I’m just telling it the way I see it”.

Well, things have gotten better. The water has cleared up (somewhat) and has warned up too. I have switched to my summer suit, (I feel like I’ve lost a 100 pounds) and I finally got out of mooring field hell and did some pleasure dives. Why even the lake was happy to see me having fun again and gave up some good treasures just to keep me interested.

The dive boat with her shiny new paint job was all booked up with divers heading out for some adventures. As one of the excited young divers put it to me, "We're going to do some wicked assume dives.... Want to come a long?”

Yup, life is most definitely getting better....
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:54 AM   #8
Grant

"...wicked assume dives..."

???

Can't wait to get back in the Lake. And Senter Cove Guy tells me that the refurbished Lady Go Diva looks quite nice.