Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
TomC

Default idea for new hike?

Within a short drive from Moultonborough, does anyone have a recommended hike not on this list: Morgan, Percival, Rattlesnake (Squam overlook), Red Hill, Major, Bald Peak/Knob? Looking for something new.

Toying with Chocurua, but that might be a bit much for my 9 year old...

Thanks!
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Little Bear

There are a bunch of trails branching off of Sandwich Notch Road. Go get the AMC guide and it will list every trail in the area.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
ApS

Cool Near Bald Knob...

Just a few miles past Bald Knob is the Mt. Shaw trail—a marked trail.

It follows the Melvin River to a spectacular view (looking north) from the very summit. There are waterfalls along the way, but no natural panoramic views unless taking the side trails, which are less-well marked.

The trail is eroded—gets rocky towards the summit—with few critters to be seen. It's likely you'll have the whole trail (and afternoon) to yourselves.

It's basically "a walk in the woods", as opposed to the book with the same name:

Old 09-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Dave M

Default Ossipee Mtns

You may want to try Castle in the Clouds trails.

DM

http://www.castleintheclouds.org/Hiking.htm
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
TomC

Default maybe Mt Shaw...

Bald Knob is part of the Castle system, as well as the Shannon Brook trail, that I've done. But I've never tried Mt Shaw. I'll look that one up. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Lucky2Bhere

Smile

The Welch-Dickey Loop up by Waterville Valley is one of our family favorites. At least 50% of the climb has views so kids (and adults) love it!
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Argie's Wife

It's not a mountain but I recently took my 3 year old and my dog on the trails at The Loon Center in Moultonboro. It's about 1.7 miles and he did really well. It's not a perfectly groomed trail so there's some adventure to it. We had places where we had to cross streams and muddy areas by jumping rocks, making small detours, etc. The trails are well marked, though.

The Loon Center trails are also dog-friendly. They allow dogs on the property as long as owners clean up after the dogs and keep them on a leash.

It was a beautiful time together in the woods!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up Geocaching

When hiking with kids, this method keeps them psyched and interested.

www.geocaching.com

It basically teaches the kids how to use a GPS in the woods. Along the way they will find a prize. The adults have to replace the prize with similar item. I go to the Dollar Tree and pick up a few tinkets before venturing. My 4 grandkids (3 to 14) love it and begs to go on another hike.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Argie's Wife

We do geocaching - it's amazing how many locations are very close to us! My 7 year old is into it.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
beaner

Default Mt. Willard, Crawford Notch

What about Mt. Willard in Crawford Notch? The effort is well rewarded with a view looking directly south through the notch. Here's some info that might help you decide whether it's a manageable hike for your son:

http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/t...mt-willard.cfm
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Living the Dream

Default hikes

Chocorua is a great one!! One of my favorites. But is a tough hike for a 9 year old. Welch and Dickey, Belknap, Gunstock. Lockes Hill is really cool in Gilford on 11. Has signs explaining what you're looking at. Really neat. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm pretty into hiking. Good luck!!!
Living the Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
kleine_t

Wink Piper in Gilford

Try a hike up Piper either from the bottom of the Belknap Mt. access road or via the white trail....Piper is great and has an awesome stone "throne" on top for the King of the Mountain!
kleine_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
Zeke

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleine_t View Post
Try a hike up Piper either from the bottom of the Belknap Mt. access road or via the white trail....Piper is great and has an awesome stone "throne" on top for the King of the Mountain!
Some of my quiet favorites. Greely Pond trail, out of Waterville. 7 mile round trip, with hardly any height gain, but nice views. Your walking a valley between Kangamangus Mt and the Oceollas Mts. Nice swim when you get there.
Another is Mt Isreal in Sandwich range. Views and perspective of the mountains you don't normally get.
Another group are out of Wonaloncet trail head in Sandwich range again, north side. Whiteface being one. Skip Pasaquonaway (no view, just a peak bagging trip) all a bit more intense, longer, steeper, higher. Great views. Very few people on these trails.
One last and easy gem is Potash. Off the Kanc, and in toward the Sandwich range again. You find yourself on ledge views with Pasaquonaway(sp?)Oseolla, Fool Killer, all 270 degrres around you. A lot of hardwood hiking for foliage days.
Enjoy
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
TomC

Default thanks to all above

hope to hit the trails this weekend..
Old 10-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
TomC

Default just finished..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky2Bhere View Post
The Welch-Dickey Loop up by Waterville Valley is one of our family favorites. At least 50% of the climb has views so kids (and adults) love it!
I chose the W-D loop and it was great. Absolutely mobbed, though - I think everyone else had the same idea! The view was awesome, I would say the color in the Mad River valley is at its peak.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Default Edmands Trail

How about the Edmands Trail up & down Mt Eisenhauer, in the southern Presidentials, for a day hike. Is that still doable or is it already getting icy up top? Description - 6.6 miles round trip, summit height 4780', rated intermediate...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
How about the Edmands Trail up & down Mt Eisenhauer, in the southern Presidentials, for a day hike. Is that still doable or is it already getting icy up top? Description - 6.6 miles round trip, summit height 4780', rated intermediate...
That is a nice hike, but rather exposed if the weather goes off. The 1st 1/4 is a flat walk in. The next 2 1/4s are a steady climb with no breaks. The last 1/4 is above tree line. Clouds can set in quick. Great views though. Maybe a bit much for the 9 yr. old.

The Dickie -Walsh loop is nice, but usually mobed. I'm still a fan of the Sandwich, Wonalaonsett trails, as they're very quiet. Not as well maintained, but that's ok too.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #18
Lucky2Bhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I chose the W-D loop and it was great. Absolutely mobbed, though - I think everyone else had the same idea! The view was awesome, I would say the color in the Mad River valley is at its peak.

Thanks for the tip.
Glad you enjoyed it! We took friends up the bridlepath at Rattlesnake this weekend and it was mobbed as well. Right now our favorite quiet walk is the "Brook Walk" in the castle in the clouds area. It's a short trail that goes by 6 or so waterfalls. The history of Osippee Mountain park is of great interest. The falls are well marked and described.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote