Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #1
mswlogo

Default Water Filtration Done

Not the prettiest install but it's working.

Had new well installed. Water is pretty darn good except for Iron.
Ph it perfect, hardness low, TDS Low, etc.

I really wanted to avoid a water softener to address Iron. Partly because they are not good for the lakes.
Second it's not easy to "winterize" a water softener (still a 3 season cottage). That was my main reason for going with this that I could easily winterize it (i.e. drain it).

Those big back washing Iron filters might have made the most sense (no consumables) but I didn't see any that drain easy. And the Well folks said sucking water out of them doesn't usually go well.

I also didn't want to deal with R.O. system. They look like a pain and you have to remineralize the water.

The filters I installed are huge, 20"x4.5". The "Iron removal" filter is about $80.00 It should last about a year. Depends on Iron level, which varies. The more water we use the higher the Iron level.

Turns out most of the iron is undissolved, which is good. So a good sediment filter takes out 99% of it. But that last 1% of dissolved is the hardest to get out. Even with sediment filter, nothing was staining and you could barely taste it.

So this setup has a sediment filter, then Carbon (Block), then Iron.

I ordered a Water Meter so I can track how many gallons I run through the filter to better know when to change filters. I'm hoping I get a year out of the Iron and Carbon. The 1 micron sediment might have to change more often. Those are $10.00 each in bulk.

I also have a "Waterdrop" filter at the kitchen sink. That filters down to 0.01 micron. I LOVE the Waterdrop.

The water is absolutely perfect.

mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
WinnisquamZ

May we ask where you purchased from?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
May we ask where you purchased from?

Sure.

This is the filter system

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFLQTOI

But Iím using these cartridges (namely the one for removing iron).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776ZLQ1V

And I put this in the kitchen sink

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085FYVTS7
Old 05-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Thanks

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 1,594 Times in 623 Posts

So, a question:

I draw water from the lake and have a similar system with a sediment filter and a carbon filter. However, the third chamber is a UV light to kill bacteria.

That is not an issue for you or you don't need a UV light?

It looks like it would be a chore to change out your hot water heater. It appears to be blocked in but I am sure you thought of that.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #6
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
So, a question:

I draw water from the lake and have a similar system with a sediment filter and a carbon filter. However, the third chamber is a UV light to kill bacteria.

That is not an issue for you or you don't need a UV light?

It looks like it would be a chore to change out your hot water heater. It appears to be blocked in but I am sure you thought of that.
It's a chore to change that water heater regardless and the filter in front is the least of my problems . That area is accessed through an access hole in the kitchen floor. But I put quick connects on the filter system and it's hanging on "Key Holes". So you remove the filters (because even without water in them, they weigh quite a bit), remove quick connects and lift it off. The setup weighs nothing with the filters removed (20lbs?)

Typically a deep well doesn't have bacteria issues especially with a 40ft casing into bedrock (which is the minimum this Well Company uses to reduce risk of contamination). They "shock it" any time they do work on it. Bacteria has been tested professionally, I tested it as well and so far so good. I might have it professionally tested one more time during the peak of hot summer to be sure. But at 430 feet down I doubt the temp varies that much. But Bacteria might not show a week after they shocked it and it might show months from now.

The Waterdrop filter claims to remove some bacteria as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (05-16-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:30 PM   #7
mswlogo

Couple upgrades.

I added a water meter so I can monitor how many gallons go through the filters. I put it on the OUTPUT of the filters, so the iron would not deteriorate the meter.

I added a Z-Wave (Smart-things) Valve Control so I can shut the main water off from my phone. I always shut the water off in either house I leave. It's especially a pain in this house because the "Cellar" is in an access door through the kitchen floor.

I also mounted a Blink Camera pointing at the water meter.

30 gallons for a shower for me, 15 gallons for my wife

Old 06-01-2021, 06:10 AM   #8
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Couple upgrades.

I added a water meter so I can monitor how many gallons go through the filters. I put it on the OUTPUT of the filters, so the iron would not deteriorate the meter.

I added a Z-Wave (Smart-things) Valve Control so I can shut the main water off from my phone. I always shut the water off in either house I leave. It's especially a pain in this house because the "Cellar" is in an access door through the kitchen floor.

I also mounted a Blink Camera pointing at the water meter.

30 gallons for a shower for me, 15 gallons for my wife

Now we know why the lake level got so low last year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
steve-on-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve-on-mark For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-01-2021)