Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
bestdangQ

Default Panamabills bestdangQ coming to Gilford OYEA

Hi I'm Panamabill and would like to let you BBQ lovers know that were coming to Gilford. Panamabills has arisen from the ashes of a bad location and alive and well in the old cacklin crow restaurant( completely renovated ) with a new team name Boomer's place by the bay, located at 131 lake st, paugus bay plaza in gilford ( beside the saving depot formally cheapo depot). Serving the best dang Q, Smoked Pork, Ribs,Brisket, chicken and great seafood joined by Hawg Burr Samaches so big you need a fork to eat em and home cookin! So come on down to Boomer's place for the best dang Q and Hawg Burr homemade grub. Mention the forum and recive a free soda with your samaches or dinners... God Bless P S will be serving Breakfast, Lunch & dinner
bestdangQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bestdangQ For This Useful Post:
angela4design (05-21-2010), Argie's Wife (05-27-2010), brk-lnt (05-21-2010), CGI3 (05-20-2010), eyenotall777 (05-20-2010), Lynnio (07-04-2010), Nagigator (05-21-2010), Overlake97 (05-23-2010), welchislandman (05-24-2010)
Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Guy

Mr PanamaBill
Best of luck with your new project. I envy your chance to do something that you seem to have such a strong passion for. We will be by for some Q soon.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
eyenotall777

Default Great News!!!

Glad to hear your back, can't wait to try you again. Had a great experience the last time..food was really good
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
CGI3

That was some of the best dang Q I have EVER had! I will absolutley make it a point to stop by this week for some pulled pork, and ribs for the misses! Yum, Yum!!
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Seeker

Not much I like less than BBQ but I love to see new businesses coming to the region. Best of luck in your new endeavor. Make sure you get the word out for bike week.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

Hi Bill!

I've been wondering about you and glad to see you making a return!

See ya soon!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
AKADQ

Thumbs up Congratulations !!!

I'm glad to see you back and can't waite for some yummy brisket and pulled pork , from the other best dang Q
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Overlake97

Default Panama Reopening Today (according to sign)

Panamabill's sign says he's opening TODAY (Thurs, May 27). It's called Boomer's Place by the Bay, and he already has working neon signs in the window (Pulled Pork & BBQ, I think). The place is under the overhang parking area. I'll be there soon.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Scott

Can't say enough good things about this place... the food is always amazing and the prices are quite reasonable. Brisket is ultra tender, ribs are massive, pulled pork is perfect, fries are good and even the corn bread is fantastic.

Really hope the new location works out and this place stays around for a long time.

The menu has just about everything on it, including breakfast. I might try to scan it in and post it since it doesn't appear to be online anywhere.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Whimsey

Thumbs up Good food and good value!

We had dinner at Panama Bill's (called Boomer's Place by the Bay) last night. They had an extensive menu...it's not just BBQ. But we got the "BOB for two" (Bunch of Barbecue). $25.95 I think and well worth it. The platter was enormous (or maybe the table was too small) with large rack of ribs, brisket, pulled pork and chicken, along with corn bread, smokey baked beans, french fries and good cole slaw. Surely enough to clog the arteries of a family of four. The BBQ was very good....I've had better down south but that's another review...and BBQ is very subjective.

While we were waiting for the entree, they brought us a complimentary (and very delicious) basket of fried onion straws. They had a clever name but I don't recall it... pre-senility cognitive slippage setting in.

We didn't try their desserts, being in a BBQ coma by that point, but they gave us some chocolate fudge that was terrific along with out check. The service was excellent.

They are still working out a couple of kinks, I think, but nothing that would put you off. The tile floor was sweating due to the humidity + air conditioning. They cautioned us to be careful. But it was entertaining watching the wait staff ice skate by.

Road signage was weak and you really can't see it from Lake Street unless you know it's there.

My biggest concern...there were no other customers. The place deserves better than that. Heck, people were lined up out the door at Patrick's Pub a couple of miles away. But we'll be back, and I hope everyone gives them a try.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whimsey For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-25-2010), VitaBene (06-25-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Review

Whimsey, Thank you for the concise review, well done. I will try them out, love BBQ
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Newbiesaukee

We were there for the first time today for lunch. My comments pretty much echo Whimsey's. Good food and good value.

Mrs. N had the excellent pulled pork sandwich with FF for $5.95. I had the 1/2 rib slab..$12.95 with excellent slaw,beans, FF and corn bread. Large rib portion, I like mine a little spicier, but these were smoky and juicy.

Ang, the waitress was very pleasant and helpful ( even before she knew we got there from the Forum).

The menu is quite large and they serve from 7am to 8pm. Breakfast until 3 pm and the breakfast selection is extensive. The restaurant is quite large but not easily visible fromthe road tucked into Paugus Bay Plaza...although a number of hand written signs leads you to the place if you pay attention (and you should).

I also dropped my Corona in my lap. It's been many years since I went home in the afternoon smelling of ribs and beer. Life is good.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #13
Overlake97

Thumbs up Long live Panama Bill's/Boomers by the Bay!

I agree with an earlier poster: Not enough customers. But there should be! The food is excellent - just like in the earlier location, but now with the added advantage of being able to eat it right there. I called them one night, thirty minutes after closing, and they were still willing to sell me some takeout. When I arrived, all the counter stools were already upside down on the counter and the place was very closed; but the pulled pork dinner, with those great hand-cut fries and BBQ'd beans was as excellent as I'd remembered. There was so much pork that I bagged half and had another meal the next day. Come to think of it, that's what I ended up doing with Bill's ribs, last time I got them, at the previous location.

The non-barbeque items on the "new" menu also look promising, and I'm heading back soon. I really hope this place makes it, but if it doesn't it certainly won't be because of the food quality.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
angela4design

Default can I wait that long?

I can't wait to try this place! Now, I'm wondering if I should keep my office lunch for tomorrow, and run over for lunch today! It sounds fantastic! I've seen the menu, and it really looks like a home run!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
AB_Monterey

We thought the portions were huge and the brisket, pulled pork, and ribs were great.

The only thing I wasn't thrilled with is the amount of BBQ sauce. It was poured over everything and there was even more in a side dish. That's a personal preference but I prefer to add my own BBQ sauce and really like to have the choice of various sauces. My wife loves NC BBQ so she was hoping for some vinegar sauce.

That said, it really didn't smell like a BBQ joint to me. I'm used to smelling that wood burning outside from the smoker out back.

Good luck. That location seems really tough to find if you're not looking for it.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
ronc4424

After reading about this place on the forum, the wife and decided to give it a try yesterday ( Sat ). To get right to the point, the food, service ( waitress was Ang ), and the price of the meal was right on. We will be returning one morning during the week to try one of there breakfast specials. We would reccomend anybody hungry to give this place a try.
ronc4424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
vmartino26

Did takeout for a party of six on Sunday afternoon. Just fabulous. The kids ate up the ribs and chicken, and we all feasted on the brisket. More than enough for leftovers Monday. Highly recommend!
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
loneskier

Smile

Stopped on our way way in last night. Got the barbecue for two. Was more than enough food for the three us. Since we were getting it to go we had a beer at the bar while we waited. Will definitely go back soon.
loneskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
gf2020

What's the address for this place?

I think my wife and I will take a drive up on Sunday afternoon after dropping our sons off at Scout camp in Barnstead.

Thanks!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Newbiesaukee

131 Lake Street (Guilford) in the Paugus Bay Plaza a little north of the China Bistro just across from Paugus Bay. You might Google the address as it is a little hard to see exactly where it is. There are several hand lettered signs outside the shopping center.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
onthebay

Default What time open Saturday Nights

Just about to go out for some BBQ. Does anyone know what time they are open to on Saturday nights. cant find the phone number...
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #22
jrc

We tried it. Food was great. Saturday night and the place was empty.

I had the pulled pork and she had the baked haddock. She wanted the brisket but they were out. Both tasted great, service was slow especially considering the small crowd, but not horribly slow.

I don't know what else to say, the location is really bad, you can't see it from the street. The previous occupant did well there (now in the Waldo Peppers building) but it was breakfast/lunch and all word of mouth.

This guy has a tough road to build that place up. He can cook some great food though.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #23
woodynh

Default Great Pulled Pork Sandwich

After reading about Boomer's on here I had to try it. We both had the pulled pork sandwich. It was awesome and only $5 with fries and some great homemade coleslaw. I sure hope this place stays in bussiness because the location as mentioned isn't great.

Going back soon for breakfast. It was very reasonable all the omlettes on the menu were under 6 bucks including four egg omlettes. I haven't seen a place with an omllette that cheap for a long time.

We got a take out menu so when we are anchored in Paugus by the Margate we can call in have barberque take out on the boat.
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
jrc

Greta idea!

But Margate will love you walking though their parking lot with food. Maybe cut through the cementary.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #25
Rattlesnake Guy

RG and I were traveling down Lake street yesterday and decided that if anything we would figure out where this place is and what the phone number is. 603-527-8076 It is called "Boomers Place By The Bay".
Big emphasis on BBQ, Seafood and Breakfast until 3pm.

We had the pleasure of meeting two very nice people when we checked out the place. Having just ate we were not up to trying the food and will have to return soon to do that. We spoke to the hostess and the owner for a few minutes and convinced them to take a picture for this thread in front of the sign for the restaurant. RG also spoke to a table of diners and "wow that looks really good" and the woman said "it was absolutely delicious".

Frankly we had a bit of a challenge finding 131 Lake street so we took a picture of the building as well. They are right underneath the building. The place looks nice inside. Nothing fancy but very clean and new. Lots of seating.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-13-2010), eillac@dow (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #26
KDL

Thanks RG. On our short list of new places to try.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #27
Newbiesaukee

I believe that is the famous Panama Bill in the photo on the right.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #28
Bigstan

Someone should snag a menu and post it....?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #29
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I believe that is the famous Panama Bill in the photo on the right.
Oops...didn't even notice the fella standing on the right.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-15-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (07-15-2010), VitaBene (07-15-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #30
gf2020

My wife and I stopped in for a late lunch this past Sunday. It's definitely not the easiest place to find!

We were the only patrons in the place at 2:30, so I would be a bit worried about cashflow if I were the management.

My wife had the pulled pork sandwich, as mentioned above it is a great deal and a pretty decent meal.

I had the ribs & chicken combo, which was a lot of food for $13 but the ribs were a little fatty and smothered in sweet BBQ sauce more than I might prefer. The chicken was not smoked, it was a grilled 1/4 chicken with an ample coating of the BBQ sauce.

All in all, it was a fair lunch and a good value. I have to think the location is going to be a problem, however. I wish them good luck!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #31
robmac

RG,thanks for the photos now I know exactly where it is.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #32
Rattlesnake Guy

Default We went tonight

We just lost power so I am going to break this into a few post. Pics of the menu to follow later maybe. It was very very good.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #33
Rattlesnake Guy

The Breakfast menu is quite large.
Here is the dinner menu.
Hours are 7AM to 8PM everyday but Tuesday.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #34
Argie's Wife

At Bill's other place on Union Ave. he did a fish taco that couldn't be beat. I'm hard to please when it comes to fish and seldom order it out because it's usually overcooked and dry as a popcorn fart - that wasn't the case with the fish taco. It was way better than I every could have imagined. It was one of those "why didn't I try this before?!" moments.

Anyhow, sorry to see that's not on the new menu (but knowing Bill, I bet if I ask nicely he'd still make one...)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #35
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
At Bill's other place on Union Ave. he did a fish taco that couldn't be beat. I'm hard to please when it comes to fish and seldom order it out because it's usually overcooked and dry as a popcorn fart - that wasn't the case with the fish taco. It was way better than I every could have imagined. It was one of those "why didn't I try this before?!" moments.

Anyhow, sorry to see that's not on the new menu (but knowing Bill, I bet if I ask nicely he'd still make one...)
Stopped at Panamabills the other day. It is now called By The Bay and it is located in the Paugus Bay Plaza. The pulled pork sandwich was inexpensive and huge. It was incredibly delicious. I had the sauce on the side so I could put as little or as much as I wanted on the sandwich. My only complaint was that they didn't have any covers for the to go drinks. I will definitely go back for more pulled pork.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #36
SteveO123

Thumbs up Enjoyed our visit(s)!

After reading about Boomer's By The Bay we went hunting for it (yes you have to seek it out because the visibility is a REAL problem!). We were a party of 5 looking for a 'Cue fix. We ordered the Bunch of Barbeque for 4 ($49.99). It was GREAT and HUGE! We had generous portions of tasty Cue-- from brisket to pulled pork to rack of ribs and chicken, along with the fixins--fries, cornbread baked beans etc. As noted here on the forum it was sauced a bit much and was a tad sweet for my taste. Our chicken was a bit overcooked but pretty good. It was an amazing FEAST and a bargain at the same time. We took enough home to feed a few of the gang the next day for lunch too!

While we were there we checked out the breakfast menu, and went back a week later for a delightful and affordable treat. What a great variety and super prices! Try it for breakfast too!

I echo others here in wishing Bill well at this location. We were the only folks there for dinner that night (a weeknight) , and there was only one other party there for breakfast (also a weekday). I hope Bill can make it and encourage you all to FIND this place and try it out!

--SteveO
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #37
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Next Time

I think the next time we visit this restaurant I will ask for the sauce on the side. I'm not a big fan of the sauce and the meat is delicious enough to stand alone.

I wonder if it might be a good idea to offer two types of BBQ sauces to keep all the patrons happy?
Aren't there tomato based and the molasses based sauces?

Don't know a lot about barbecue, but I know I love the pork, beef and chicken from a smoker.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #38
vmartino26

We've been to Bill's several times the past few weeks. The food is of course delicious. The place is not easy to find, however. There should be something by way of additional signage out on the roadway to help locate the restaurant. My son-in-law suggested they locate a smoker out in front of the restaurant! We've seen that down in Orlando. You're driving along, see a restaurant and notice the smoker out front, and bingo, you're in the place.

I also suggested that maybe they should have participated in something like the Ribfest at Gilford a few weeks ago. There were only four participants at the festival. Publicity is publicity. The four participants were all prominently mentioned in the various news stories the next week. He has a great product and needs advertising to help get the word out.

I think it's going to be tough to survive in that spot. We've also had the experience of being the only ones in the place.
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #39
Liquorish

I've now been to boomers twice for dinner, both times we were about the only ones dining ( Fri & Sat ) that being said dinner was great both times. The brisket and pulled pork our favorites. A friend ordered the turkey dinner which he raved about. Just wish that there were a few more people at the place.
Now for breakfast, two times great, ordered breakfast sandwiches and great service.. The last time, this past weekend we went with a group of people and much to our dissapointment it wasn't nearly as good..slow service, even the breakfast sandwiches were different than past times.
If Boomers isn't consistent with their food, they'll have a tough time surviving in that location.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote